Movies, old and new

KAndre

I saw that the reviews for The Mist were good - and pretty much all the reviewers seemed to have not wanted to give a good review, but said the suspense was really good.

So, we saw it today.

The good - great suspense, and I have a newfound appreciation for Thomas Jane. Yum.

That being said,

it has the most depressing ending of any movie I have ever seen. My grandson loves to be scared, but the ending is such a downer he cried.

And this weekend I have The Last King of Scotland. Been avoiding that one for some reason...

So, what'd you think?

Thanks to all for the information about The Kite Runner, what a mess! I appreciate that they're taking the threats to the boys seriously-maybe there are still people in corporate America with a conscience.

Thanks for the Stardust tip, this was a movie I had wanted to see, just forgot to see when it was out and now its gone from the theatres.

There's another light-hearted comedy coming out next month. It's called "Enchanted" I think. It's about Cinderella and Prince Charming and the Wicked Witch all getting transported into NYC and becoming real people! Looks like a hoot!

Thanks for the recommendation Cha Cha. My sisters took me out Sunday and this is the movie I told them I wanted to see. I laughed and had a smile on my face for the entire movie. WE ALL LOVED IT!!!!! Also, the score was composed and produced by Alan Menchen, I'm buying it. I'm so in love with Amy Adams. I've never heard of her before. I'm going to have to check out Junebug as she was nominated for an Oscar for that.

I finally saw American Gangster - which I found fascinating.

Russell Crowe and Denzel Washington did incredible jobs - through Denzel is the only man on Earth I would be willing to try that "bad boy" thing with.

Russell Crowe and Denzel Washington did incredible jobs - through Denzel is the only man on Earth I would be willing to try that "bad boy" thing with.

I found it fascinating as well. As for Denzel..I just like to watch the man walk. hee. He was a bad mofo.

Denzel should certainly get an oscar. His performance made me love that movie and being totally hot didn't hurt either.

What's the "bad boy" thing? Inquiring minds want to know :hubbahubba:

ETA I figured it out...must be the gangster bad boy thing!

Saw I Am Legend today - pretty good movie, end seemed lame, Will Smith is aging very nicely.

If you have seen the ads or the trailer, you know he is alone in NYC, it was funny how he decorated his apartment with pictures from museums....this was not a plot point, just something I noticed. I would like to know what CD he picked up and then put down again in an apartment he was checking out for food, it had a light blue cover.

My ADHD grandson was almost completely still through the entire movie, which is something.

There was a trailer for a Will Ferrell movie about a pro or semi pro basketball team - I have to watch it, they skewer all the hilarious entertainment that gets dredged up for half-time, it looks like a treat for those who follow pro basketball.

We saw Sweeney Todd on Monday. The plan was to see Alvin Chipmunky cheeriness, but we changed our minds when we got to the theater.

Johnny Depp and the rest of the cast did a great job wth the singing, I got drawn into the story and the singing seemed natural and flowed with the story, it was not just a bunch of "suddenly bursting into song".

I enjoyed the movie immensely. Depp was really really excellent, IMO, and deserves that Golden Globe nom, and so does the movie, again, IMO.

BUT - it sure is filled with graphic, extreeeemely graphic, violence. I understand that everyday life then, in London, was actually pretty brutish and violent. But be warned, the violence is not suggested or carried out off-scene after a suspenseful build-up!

Saw I Am Legend today - pretty good movie, end seemed lame,

I saw this today and i enjoyed it. After we came home we watched an old Vincent Price movie called The Last Man on Earth which is exactly the same movie.

I also saw Sweeney Todd. Now I hate graphic violence but I loved this movie. Johnny Depp is soo good! We also saw Walk Hard which I thought was very funny.

Tomorrow I hope to see 3 more movies including Atonement and No Country for Old Men. Yes we are great movie goers! My daughter has her Master's in Film Theory and Criticism so we always end up going to some of the most interesting movies.

My daughter has her Master's in Film Theory and Criticism so we always end up going to some of the most interesting movies.

Heeeee.......my grandson is 12, aand I have the same result - he never has pre-conceived ideas, he has no way of knowing if the movie he wants to see has been blessed by having the biggest gross box office receipts for the weekend.....for Sweeney Todd, he just said hey, any movie with Johnny Depp is gonna be a good movie! He is a yoooge Pirates fan, so Depp is one of the few stars he actually recognizes, along with Nicolas Cage and Ahnold.

He generally finds the good in any movie, but he is still pissed off at the ending of The Mist.

Love Johnny Depp. I want to see both of these movies. I Am Legend and Sweeney Todd.

I saw some old movie on the Bet channel the other day. I don't know the title of it, as I came upon it somewhere in the middle. It starred Morgan Freeman as a principle of East Side High, who turned the school around. Sort of another "To Sir With Love." I love Morgan Freeman more than Denzel, as an actor, I think. Both are good, but there is just something about Morgan. I am so behind by the time I get to see movies, they are usually 2 years old. :cryingwlaughter:

That Matthew mccanhay(sp) movie from the john gresam novel, I swear i had nightmares about the first part of the movie for a fews when i was younger, maybe 8 ( i accendently saw it as a nosy eight year and it really sacred the crap out of me).

I really do not like the movie. But the book has become my most favorate of all time! OMG i love the book. The movie nows dissapointed me in someway.

I really want to see Sweeney Todd, too. Unfortunately my son doesn't. Oh cindilu2, what do you think? ;) I also want to see The Kite Runner, but so far, it isn't playing in London.....I guess I should check the new listings today and see if that has changed yet.

Lately I've seen I Am Legend (liked it but it just SO wasn't the right movie for my mood the day I couldn't get to Erie) and the newest National Treasure (predictable and cheesy but enjoyable).

The last few nights I have been so wiped I've just sat down and watched whatever was on TV. Last night it was Notting Hill, and the night before, Bridget Jones' Diary. I loved both of them! I know they are years old but sometimes I just miss stuff and then catch up on it later. LOL.

Notting Hill and pretty much any other Hugh Grant movie - Trouble With Love, Four Weddings and a Funeral - always are great for a smile, a laugh, and a cry - not just because of Grant, but the movies are so charming.

On the other hand, each time I see Notting Hill I think Julia Robert's teeth are just weird, like pebbles or something.

A friend of mine took her 11 and 12 year olds to see Sweeney Todd, and while I found it fabulous but gory, they found it fabulous but the gore was hysterically funny and fake-looking to them.

The latest movies I have watched:

1. The Devil's Advocate-I love Al Pacino. Older movie but I liked it.

2. Rock Star-Jennifer Anniston & Mark Wahlberg

3. Slither-Another old one. I like horror and science fiction stuff. As well as psychological thrillers.

4. Fallen-Denzel Washington & John Goodman.

5. Dream Catcher-One of Steven King's. I love everything he does

Right now I have borrowed from my son, Planet Earth. It is not a movie, per se, but it is awesome. Done by the BBC and the photography is to die for. Very educational and a great thing for families to watch together. Set consists of 5 dvds with 3, 1hour & 15 minute segments on different things. Like Caves, mountains, the North and South Pole, the deserts, and the ocean. Very very interesting.

I also borrowed Hannibal Rising and plan to watch that this weekend. I love me some Hannibal and Anthony Hopkins.

First, I love The Devil's Advocate, Pacino and Keanu in the same movie, yum! I love the part where Pacino lip-syncs Sinatra's "It Happened In Monterey" especially!

In the interest of fair reporting - grandson and I set out to see Alvin & Chipmunks yesterday, I was not very enthusiastic, he said OK, my second choice is Alien Versus Predator Requiem.

Good gravy! Someone gets horribly killed about every 20 seconds! The movie just flew by....very dark lighting, I can't think who I would recommend this movie to. The first AVP, oddly, was pretty good, and I was disappointed in the sequel.

I finished Hannibal Rising, lucky, and I looooved it. No Anthony Hopkins in it as you had told me before, but the actor who played Hannibal was very good. The movie made me feel sort of sorry and sympathetic to Hannibal, in his later life. I may watch Alexander this afternoon. I imagine it to be a movie about like 300. It's about Alexander The Great. I have heard it isn't that great, but then I always like to watch for myself.

Oh I forgot to mention that I watched Transformers the other day. Special effects were good, but I wasn't that crazy about the movie.

couchie I thought of Steven King's "Kingdom Hall" series when you said you watched Kingdom.

I have never seen Stephen's Kingdom Hall series. Just another thing to add to my torrents list!

Thanks for reminding me that I have yet to rent Hannibal Rising on DVD. Might do that this weekend so I can see it again.

I took my son to see National Treasure Sunday, even though I'd already seen it. I enjoyed it again. Still have a hard time reconciling the 'old man' Jon Voigt with the young Jon Voigt I remember.....went on a mission last night to research what he's done between my memory of him in Coming Home and now.....and ended up downloading Midnight Cowboy because, believe it or not, I've never seen it! Hee, so I have some good options for things to watch in the next few days while I am feeling sorry for myself, not heading to Broadway this weekend.

My grandson and I added Cloverfield to the list of distinguished groundbreaking sure-to-be-a-classic movies we have seen! I love the "all tickets for $5" mornings at my AMC theater.

It was pretty good, very suspenseful, makes ya a little dizzy from the constant video camera movement (like the ads say, think Blair Witch meets Godzilla). We saw the digital projection version, and the cinematography is pretty good. Excellent effects, the movie is kinda short, but then it was quite effective and there was no more plot left anyway.

My grandson complained for about 2/3 of the movie - said he hated the movie being about a guy with a jumpy video camera. But then when the action really got going, it was pretty cool, and gave more of a feeling of realism.

Previews of Ironman look pretty good for that genre - especially since it stars Robert Downey Jr. Yum. One of my favorite music videos is Downey lip-syncing to Elton John singing I Want Love.

In my continuing quest to bring you reviews of movies that you may not want to actually see for yourself........we went and saw The Eye.

Jessica Alba is the heroine, and plays the role of a 20 year old amazingly talented gorgeous blind classical violin soloist. This seems kind of young for someone who is the star soloist and lives in a great condo in a city 15 hours from Mexico, but she was blinded in a freak firecracker accident caused by her sister when she was 5 and her sister was 12, and since Jessica is not only beautiful and talented but is the sweetest person in the entire universe, she assures her sis that it was not her fault and it was 15 years ago, so you do the math. Jessica also saves the life of a skateboarder (Clay content!) in the opening credits by stopping him from skating in front of a bus, so she has amazing super-powers, too!

Sample dialog - skateboarder - Wow! Thanks! I didn't see the bus! Jessica - Me either!!

Anyways, hijinks ensue when Jessica gets corneal implants from an obviously distraught deceased donor, and begins seeing things. Haha! Get it?

Sorry.

Sample dialog - Jessica - I'm seeing things!!!!

Jessica's sight therapist, Jessica's sister, and Jessica's famous conductor father figure - Well, duh!

This is a kind of rip-off of The Ring and The Grudge (well, those movies are mentioned in the opening credits), but Jessica looks like Angelina Jolie and thus out-does Sarah Michelle Gellar in the acting horrified due to weird attacks by dead people department. Plus there is the obligatory cute little dead Japanese kid, who shows up randomly. He only has two lines, but he repeats them a lot.

All in all, it was okay.

I may make this a weekly feature!