Movies, old and new

KAndre

I saw Terminator 4.7 - Lots of Machines, so you don't have to!

It was all right. Christian Bale and Sam Worthington are very good-looking guys. Very very good-looking.

Although Bale looks like Tom Cruise in close-ups, oddly, which for me is Not Good.

The most exciting thing - Arnold still kicks butt right up until he gets immolated in flames, then covered in hot molten lava stuff, then blasted with freezy stuff, then somehow dismembered or something. I forget. There was a LOT of that. But I bet that was more fun for Arnold than his day job. Or maybe it was just like his day job!

On the way out of the theater my grandson asked me if Arnold was going to be in the next Terminator, and I said well, he will be needing another job soon, I think, so yeah.

I wanted to see Night at the Smithsonian, pout, maybe tomorrow. Except for The Bird Cage and America's Sweethearts, this is the only time I like that guy who was married to Helen Hunt for three minutes, years ago.

Um, maybe I liked him in America's Sweethearts because of the John Cusack Makes Everything Beautiful (Except Jeremy Piven) Effect, because I liked Julia Roberts too.

Anyway, the first Museum thing was silly and funny, looks like the second one is too.

Previews - the Borat guy has a movie coming to a Theater Near You wherein he portrays a dim-witted gay man named Bruno who gets into various stupid predicaments because he is a dim-witted gay man. Think I will miss it. Entirely because it looks stupid.

Robert Downey Jr. is gonna be Sherlock Holmes, that movie looks to be awesome. Because it has Robert Downey Jr. in it.

And there you have it!

djs wrote:

My grandson wanted to see Angels and Demons yesterday, so we did!

Please apply IMO, YMMV, ad. inf. to the rest of this!

It was okay, "Tom Hanks" and "thriller" didn't mesh well, really, but it was interesting.

Think Nic Cage's National Treasure with all the fun and detail missing, and with Cardinals. Most of the info about the Illuminati was given in odd lecture form by Tom Hanks; the movie was not nearly as good as the Da Vinci Code. Although Ewan McGregor looks quite nice in his Camerlengo outfit.

To me, the heroes were not heroic, the villains not too bright. Rome looked gorgeous, the crowds and architecture looked incredible. I would like to go there some day.

I read the book a while back, I loved all the details, and interesting to associate the Illuminati with the Masons. But as Ron Howard told Steven Colbert, you can only do so much in a two hour movie.

See, this makes me nervous. Huge Dan Brown fan here! I felt the same way about Tom Hanks as Langdon in The Da Vinci Code. Not a great mesh. So I'm little skeeered to see Angels & Demons which I would think to be even tougher to pull off in light of the more intense violence of the book. Plus piece mealing out so much detail just does not do the story full justice. Oh well, I may give it a try. Thanks for the feedback.

I'm looking forward to his newest due out in September - The Lost Symbol...the Robert Langdon adventure continues :-)

The new movies look, um, nice - the Julia Roberts one looks funny just because Meryl Streep playing Julia is a hoot to think about, and I love cooking and Julia.

Did you mean Julia Child? Or am I really that dense :cryingwlaughter:

My husband and I saw Angels and Demons yesterday. He read the book, finishing it just before seeing the movie; I did not read it.

In the end, we both enjoyed it. My husband said that, of course, there was a lot of stuff that was cut from the book to make the movie more linear. But in the end, he enjoyed it. I enjoyed it as well, as a simple thriller. Made me want to go to Rome, too. And of course, Ewan McGregor is fantastic...I've liked almost everything he's ever done.

We also saw the trailer for "Julie and Julia." That's the one where I've read the book, so I'm looking forward to it.

And Star Trek still rocks. I'm trying to figure out a way to go see it again in the theater...

No other movie holds my interest until Harry Potter in July.

I hope my reviews are taken as snark, they are not like the ones by professionals!

I try and take my grandson, who is now 14, to a movie every Saturday morning; he gets to pick, and I go along with it almost always. I have seen movies I would never have considered going to!

Gotta say that once I started thinking of the movies as a wildly inexpensive way to be entertained for a couple of hours - morning movies are $5 a ticket - I enjoy even the "bad" ones. We don't even buy popcorn or anything to drink any more, so the only other expense is driving to the theater. Plus it is three hours that we can spend together with about zero chance of getting into an argument. He lives with me, and raising a teenage boy is something I thought I would only have to do once.

Thus my appreciation of the Fast and Furious movies, for instance, because they are just fun. Luckily, my grandson does not want to see any comedies that look blatantly dumb. The worst movie I have sat through was The Adventures of Sharkboy and Lavagirl 3-D, possibly because I do not like George Lopez and George was liberally sprinkled all through that movie.

We enjoy the previews as much as the movies, too. About 80% of them get the "That looks good! Maybe we will see that!" accolade.

Zero chance that I will see the Julia Childs movie with my grandson.

I am really really looking forward to the next Ironman movie - aside from the Robert Downey Jr. factor, rumor has it that Gwyneth Paltrow does not like Scarlet Johansson, so it will be fun to watch for that. Weirdest thing I have seen Paltrow in - a series on a food network or something where she rides around Europe with Mario Battali, commenting on food. I don't know if she actually eats food, of course, she is pretty thin. But very odd couple.

So anyway, take my reviews with a spoon of salt. Since I generally can post five times in a row here, I am never sure if anyone even reads them!

Heeee......I told my grandson what would happen to the Bad Guy in A&D, and he was amazed at my brilliance!!!!!

Snark? WTF is that? Me no comprehendo

And I'm sorry, but I was really hoping you meant Julia Roberts cause THAT was something I would like to have seen. Meryl portraying JR!! Although I'm sure her playing a drunk chef with an M16 running around in the darkness of the French woods during WWll could be quite interesting as well.

:cryingwlaughter:

I must learn to "View New Posts" more often... I don't seem to go to many movies at the theater... don't know why because I enjoy doing it... but this thread would sure help me avoid some klunkers...

There is also a tear-jerker about a girl who doesn't want to give her sister a kidney or something, with Michelle Pheiffer.

I wonder if this is "My Sister's Keeper", a Jodi Picoult book that's being made into a movie? About a daughter who is conceived/born for the sole purpose of being able to save her older sister who has some disease I think... I read the book so long ago I forget what was wrong with her... The book was a tear jerker so if this is it, take a box of tissue with you.

If it's not, then no idea what movie it is... you don't get to see many movie trailers when you don't hit the show house and you FF through all the commercials on TV... :cryingwlaughter:

I wonder if this is "My Sister's Keeper", a Jodi Picoult book that's being made into a movie? About a daughter who is conceived/born for the sole purpose of being able to save her older sister who has some disease I think... I read the book so long ago I forget what was wrong with her... The book was a tear jerker so if this is it, take a box of tissue with you.

Yup. That's the one. Even the preview is a tear-jerker. I am just not into that kind of movie. Well, I make an exception for the original Ghost and Mrs. Muir, but that's it!

I do tear up all the time at movies, but at happy endings.

I saw Angels and Demons opening weekend with my son. We both quite enjoyed it, but neither of us has read the book, so we didn't go in with any expectations.

I'd like to see the one with Meryl Streep playing Julia Child. I'm also looking forward to the new HP! Hee, I have eclectic tastes.

We saw The Battle of the Smithsonian today; it was a nicely mindless funny movie.

Theater was packed at the 9:45 am show, which meant that I had to turn around and glare at a little tyke who was kicking the back of my seat.

Hank Azaria was hilarious, he does insane pomposity so very very well. And I like Ben Stiller, although he will never be as funny to me as when he made fun of Puff Daddy's various names - to Puff Daddy - when he and Combs were presenting an MTV award. Stiller gets this perfectly serious look on his face that is such a great contrast to the humour or sarcasm.

Ricky Gervais did not do well. I have loved him in the original Office for years, I know all about his throw-away straight-faced shtick, but it didn't work for some reason.

Amelia Earhart Girl was annoying. Napoleon and Ivan the Terrible were pretty funny. Christopher Guest is Ivan the Terrible; I had just watched the entire A Mighty Wind last week, and Guest really is funny in any movie I have seen him in. I would love to see him parody his wife's Activia commercials. Or show up in them.

The original Night at the Museum was on TV last night. I remember it correctly, it was funnier. Perhaps there were just too many characters in this new one.

The movie made me want to take my grandson to the Smithsonian. And the animated artwork was great - Jeff Koons' balloon dog bouncing around, stuff like that.

Previews were all G-rated cartoony or tween things and we do not wish to see any of them. Bah humbug.

Is anyone else looking forward to the new Johnny Depp film "Public Enemies" due out July?

memememe!!!!!!!

And Depp is my grandson's favorite actor, he is looking forward to the movie even more than I am.

Robert Downey Jr's Sherlock Holmes looks really good too - I hope it is as good as Restoration - I adore that movie!

Since we have started our $5 morning movie experience again, we don't even try to be anything but impulsive and eclectic - next week we are quite looking forward to Land of the Lost - unless something looks better.

Saw Angels and Demons. Eh. I think I read the book faster than I watched the movie.

Really NOT my type of book or movie. Read the book because it's Son #1's favorite and he asked me too. Went to the movie because E really really wanted to see it. She was very disappointed. Felt they left out too much. I can't imagine how long it would have seemed if they had added more. To me anyway. Yeah.

Oh good, I was thinking of going to see it cuz I love Sandra Bullock.

I saw Pelham 123 recently, and rented One Week (starring Joshua Jackson). Pelham 123 was a good action movie, and One Week was very different, very Canadian, kind of a docu-drama, probably not everyone's cup of tea, but I enjoyed it. Especially because I'd been to a lot of the Ontario locales he passed through!

Saw The Proposal today. It was really cute and funny.

Sorta fluff.

But good fluff.

My 14 yo grandson really wanted to see that - because we saw the preview a couple of times, and he was convinced he would see Sandra Bullock nekkid. So we went, and the movie was really nice funny fluff, Sandra was not nearly as annoying as she usually is (she didn't cutesy-snort even once!), and she managed to cover all her lady bits while showing lots of skin.

Jacob is certain that he saw SOMETHING, so he was happy!

Favorite lines -

Sandra - But I can't swim!!

Ryan Reynolds - Hence, the boat.

We all laughed quite a bit, it is a fun movie.

The important fact that Public Enemy will be out on WEDNESDAY JULY THE FIRST!!!!!! is mentioned to me several times every day, so I suspect that will be our next movie.

The important fact that Public Enemy will be out on WEDNESDAY JULY THE FIRST!!!!!! is mentioned to me several times every day, so I suspect that will be our next movie.
:hubbahubba::hubbahubba::hubbahubba:

Oh sorry, I meant to say I can't wait to see this film... and that hawtdamn sexxxxy man in the role of a gangsta. :lilredani:

Saw Public Enemies.

Mr. Depp was yummy.

Not sure if I liked the movie as much as I thought I would.

My grandson kept asking if I had ridden in cars like that (1930's cars!), I said amazingly enough, that was before my time.

He expressed astonishment at telephone dials with round holes, did they really work?

When I said I knew Dillinger would get killed, he accused me of reading moviespoiler.com.

The soundtrack is awesome, Billie Holiday, Diana Krall, other great jazz/blues folks.

Surrogates looks good, Bruce Willis looks alarming with a full head of hair, sort of sinisterly Gary Cole evilish, or something like that.

Couples Retreat looks funny, I like Jon Favreau.

I saw My Sister's Keeper the other day. It was good but v.v. sad. However, the commercials for it on TV are seriously starting to get on my nerves. Talk about overkill! Enough already. It's not the greatest movie ever made. And I didn't think Cameron Diaz was all that either. The girls were much better than she was.

We rented (On Demand) the film Knowing last night, with Nicolas Cage. I must say even though it was very intense I really enjoyed it. It had me on the edge of my seat and I was talking back to the people in the movie. Loved it. I usually do like fantasy/sci-fi films but not the "end of days" kind of stuff. They tend to be over dramatic and full of nonsense. And yes this film had some of that too but it was very well done. It gave me chills. The ending might be a bit OTT but I still liked it...a lot!