Top Chef

Guest Toots

OMG, djs111, I laughed til I cried!! :cryingwlaughter::cry4:

Then I dreamt about rerun hell ;)

and this -

Or maybe it is an homage to the Dick Van Dyke Show, I dunno. Oooh, maybe the cheftestants will open kitchen cabinets and walnuts will spill out!!! And they will have to use walnuts in dishes that they have to cook at the North Pole, with nothing but a Bunsen Burner and a fish hook! No, wait, that gives the Brothers V. the advantage.

I think this challenge must have been about cooking without opposable thumbs!?

(obscure reference for anyone who does not recall that specific DickVanDykeShow episode...or any for that matter. hee)

Good show tonight. Robin had to go. She should be relieved that she won't embarass herself anymore.I'm sure she is better than the average cook so she should do really well in her restaurant.

Next week should really separate the better chefs from the cooks. Thomas Keller as a judge has to intimidate all of them. I hope Jennifer has a good showing, if not, I think she should go next. At this point Kevin or either brother should win.

Jen is lucky that Robin and Eli sucked, that's for sure.

I would just hate to see Jen go before Eli. Bad peanut butter soup with ground up popcorn???? Yikes!!!!!!

I wish Toby did not feel like he has to come up with some lame-ass insulting remark for things he doesn't like.

Hmmmmm....a V brother said this was a really bad night for him in the previews. I keep hoping Jen will recover from whatever is bothering her.

That breakfast thing Eli won with? Barf. Since I don't like swiss cheese or corned beef or sauerkraut, and thousand island bearnaise or hollandaise sounds awful.

That's another one Jen made me think WTF????? SOS? It looked nasty. I love SOS, actually, but for a special breakfast? She should have read my spoiler.

Good episode, but it seemed very short or something. For a minute ther, I thought Jen was going to ask to leave with Robin.

Yeah I realized last night that I didn't so much like Robin or think she deserved to be there..I just didn't like the way she was being treated. But once Isabelle was gone I felt she deserved to go next.

Now as far as I'm concerned everybody left should not be riding on what they did in the past. If they have the nastiest food that week..they should go.

Yeah, I didn't like Robin so much as I hated how the others treated her.

The vanilla crab thing - maybe there was too much vanilla - but lobster bisque with a hint of vanilla is fabulous!!!!

Tom C. blogged that Jen was never in danger of going home. Tom actually liked Eli's horrible-sounding dish - and Eli at least showed his inspiration.

Robin made a bad panna cotta and then screwed up the sugar candy that was supposed to look like Chihuly's glass, and didn't serve it.

Jen is a good enough chef that Eric Ripert trusts her to be the chef de cuisine at one of his restaurants. The head chef. And Ripert is actually a guest judge on TC.

So I hope she snaps out of whatever is ailing her.

Hey - Fabio is not around, so she could cook scallops for the rest of the season!

Yay!!!!!! Jen is back!!!!!! She looks better, too, not withdrawn and tired.

I fell asleep after Jen won the quickfire - prolly I was afraid to watch the elimination - but yay!!!! Eli is gone, and if Jen couldn't win (because of salmon issues, Tom's blog was very enlightening on that, and I learned something) - then cool for Kevin.

Heh, Michael V. is still a douchebag, and I read yesterday that "douchebag" has become a universal term of non-endearment amongst many groups, but not all that many people really know what a douchebag is, especially kids.

Tom explained why Kevin won, in his blog - all the other lamb was practically raw, and Jen should have cut her salmon differently, the top of the fish has more fat than the bottom (or the other way around) and so part of the fish was overcooked or cooked too quickly and that is what the white stuff is. I always wondered about that. Seriously. I cook a lot of salmon, I love it.

The prize of being able to compete for a place on the cooking team - that is like skipping regionals and going right to the Hollywood round, Kevin may not get to go further, but I think that the feeling is that Kevin makes tasty food really well and has a year to learn the fancy stuff, while the V brothers sometimes seem to value technique over taste.

I almost turned off the TV when Jen said she was going to make turducken - yeah she was kidding, but then again she made SOS last time.

Mike V. was also full of crap when he said he didn't know they had to make a QF ballotine - yes he did, or else he was just not paying attention or else thought he could triumph with technique over what the challenge actually was.

Yay!!! for Jen winning that, and nice of Padma to say welcome back.

I think the turducken is dead. Pauler made it on her Thanksgiving show tonight.

I actually like Brian, Jen, Kevin and Mike. I would like to see someone other than Kevin win as he won almost everything this year. They are all good chefs, so I say "Let them all win". I don't care about their personalities as long as they can cook.

At least they are more talented than the Project Runway group. Ugh!!

I'm definitely still on the Kevin train. I hope he wins it all.

Oh I liked the collection on PR tonight. I couldn't stand Irena but she deserved to win. I only cared for a few of Carol Hannah's peices and I was rooting on her to win before I saw the complete collectionl.

Didn't watch Project Runway - not as any sort of gesture because Gordana was treated badly, but because I really didn't have any interest in what was left.

Here is Gordana's website - I love a lot of her clothes, and yes I know they are not edgy, etc. But this is how I would dress if I was younger and thinner. I love the soft stuff, and the colors are perfect.

Gordana Gelhausen

I read over at TwoP that the Magical Elves folks who edit Top Chef and used to edit PR chose not to work with Lifetime, so that's why PR seemed different. Hmmmmm....I guess we saw the real Heidi this time.

I would love it if Jen could pull out all the stops and win - next Kevin, then Bryan, and I don't really care for Michael.

Robin did some interviews and said yeah, the other chefs did not like her and that it really stung when they did that red scarf thing. So all the animosity was not editing.

Next show looks good - from Bravo's website - QF is cooking on a train, EC is the group cooking 300 portions of two dishes at a Napa restaurant - looks like Jen is going to cook and also do Front of House - NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! That is the killer kiss of death!!!!!!!!!!!!

I didn't notice any differences with PR. It's all about the clothes anyway. The only thing for me is that I realize that I really miss Nina and Michael when they aren't there and they both seemed to miss time this season. I can't really remember much about it now - memory is bad...but I remember reading all about the split between PR and Bravo and I was on PR's side. And I refused to watch Bravo's copy cat show.

Brian, Jen, Kevin and Mike!!! My original picks for the final four :) Yeah!

Though I think Keving richly deserves the title I am still rooting for Brian too! I just like the guy, but I do live Kevin as well. Both are quite talented and very mature and seeming kind souls! I would bge happy for either of them. Love Jen too. Just wish Michael wasn't such a jerk at times.

And EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE for Thomas Keller being on the show. That's huge! And to this day I have yet been able to get into The French Laundry even though we are in Yountville several times a year :( A six month wait list? And a menu I can't understand or price$ I can stomach. LOL

No new Top Chef until next week - Wed. Dec 2 :-(

Over at TwoP, they have analyzed the little clips of cheftestant interviews , and have determined that Jen is shown with three different outfits on, so they think that means she makes the final three.

They also feel that Mike V. puts too much salt on something and gets booted next week, but that is based on the very teensiest of extrapolations.

Only two shows left!!!!

Yikes!!!! Tonight at 10 EST - I am actually nervous about who leaves, because I don't want it to be Jen. But all 4 cheftestants are so talented.

The TwoP conjecturing and extrapolation is a hoot.

Note to self - when Firefox blandly says hey! How about the latest update!!!???? It will be better and faster and stuff!!!!!!

I should know better at my age :-)

Anyway, took over 10 minutes to start up Firefox after the new version was installed, even after rebooting, and now we are under a tornado watch until 4 am. Another Yikes!!!!!!!

The weather is getting louder, thunder rumbling, I imagine I will lose power - bad for work, bad for Top Chef.

The only thing I don't like about top chef is the editing when the judges are talking. Sometimes what they are saying don't match the outcome and you have to actually read the blog to find out why someone went home. They need to work on that.

But I don't mind this final three and look forward to the finale.

Couchie, I did lose power, but I fell asleep anyway, in the middle, so I am just now seeing that Jen is out.

I think all three guys left are great, but I am not in the least bit interested in the rest of the season - not just because my fave is gone, but I am tired of the drama or something. I don't care who wins, really.

Maybe it is the editing, but the actual cooking does not seem to be front and center.

Wow, Padma looks different with bangs! She looks beautiful no matter what, but the bangs were a surprise.

Hmmmm....just checked TwoP, looks like the producers really wanted a Brothers-V finale, since there problems with both of Mike V's dishes, and evidently everybody loved Jen's duck dish. So I think it best that I don't even watch what I missed when I fell asleep, much less the finale. Hope Kevin wins, I guess.

well according to the blog both of Jen's dishes were too salty. But I don't recall hearing that on the show. In fact, from the comments I thought she would win or be in the final 3 but then when Brian won (shocking) then I thought Kevin would be gone for his meat. So that's what I mean by ..let the comments reflect the truth.

I think that in this case they are going for "good TV".

Exhaustive studies have shown that when I don't watch a TV show, it doesn't matter even one little bit - but I really have no interest in the finale.

Either the editing of the comments is deliberately misleading, or else Colicchio is just doing damage control - either way, it stopped being any sort of contest, for me.

Stringy meat, badly cooked eggs, bitter soup of some sort - hey, at least the first part of the season was entertaining.

I think I am either just depressed in general, or perhaps I have just OD'd on competitive "reality" shows, or both.

Next thing you know someone will tell me that Ghost Hunters makes stuff up! :-O

I guess I'm the only one who liked Michael? I'm happy that creativity won. His speech about why he cooks was so very heartfelt.

I think all three are amazing chefs. That is one tough job and to be tops in your field takes such dedication and hard work.

I just don't go for the personality thing on reality shows. A conversation can be twisted so many ways. I think Brian was Mom's favorite. It's a shame that she had to say it on tv. I guess it makes good tv. All three seemed to seriously like each other which made it more likd Master Chef than Top Chef. I'm glad that Jennifer was able to take part in the finale.

I didn't watch but I taped it. Don't mind the spoiler.

No I don't like Michael so wasn't rooting for him at all. Oh well, my "anybody but" mantra worked on TAR. One for two ain't bad.

I still want to go to the Pig and Pinot thing in Napa next year...if I can afford to go.

I was on the mailing list for the Pigs and Pinot thingie in the Napa Valley... Kevin adn bryan will be there. I got one email this morning..then got another one in the afternoon saying they were sold out LOL. This must be one popular event. The tickets were 175 for the event I wanted to attend so out of my price range anyway.

I forgot about new Top Chef, but caught episodes so far yesterday - nothing memorable yet, to me, but I do think it should be called "Top Chef - Padma Has Really Big Breasts!!!!! and is Pregnant!!!!!!" instead of Top Chef - Washington DC.

I recently read that Padma has been seen out and about with David Spade.

That is just too weird to contemplate, and I am not sure why.

Did laugh when people who commented WTF? From Salmon Rushdie to David Spade? were informed that they were just prejudiced against short people.

Sort of like telling people who don't like Clay's music that they are homophobes.

That new Cooking Network - or whatever - lots of old cooking shows, saw an old one with Padma, she really was not that good, sort of awkward, bounced around with a pony tail and looked really cute, though.

The Top Chef reunion tonight was hysterical. The mystery of the missing pea puree was approachec but not totally resolved.I loved that they turned the tables on the judges and caught them saying a few inappropriate things. Waasn't sure I liked this cast but they grew on me and many turned out to be great chefs.