Idol Rewind - season 2

Couch Tomato

You know, on Simon's reaction to Grease - I think three-quarter's of his problem with it was that Clay was clearly playing around, totally confident and at that point, not really worried. Which is why they did their best to undercut him in the top three.

I agree, KAndre. Simon's intense dislike of Grease just didn't make sense otherwise. It's not like that's a singer's song, but it was a good perfromance.

I agree, KAndre. Simon's intense dislike of Grease just didn't make sense otherwise. It's not like that's a singer's song, but it was a good perfromance.

I found his performance awkward on grease. The vocals were outstanding though.

Ha! Maybe it is one of those performances where Simon should have kept his eyes closed? :cryingwlaughter: It could be that for me, I've been listening to the MP3 on CD so long that I mainly think of the vocal performance. I don't remember thinking it was awkward when I watched it, but by then I think I was already smitten.

I found his performance awkward on grease. The vocals were outstanding though.

Ha! Maybe it is one of those performances where Simon should have kept his eyes closed? :cryingwlaughter: It could be that for me, I've been listening to the MP3 on CD so long that I mainly think of the vocal performance. I don't remember thinking it was awkward when I watched it, but by then I think I was already smitten.

Watching AI all this years...I've seen Simon have similar reactions...its almost always trigerred by men wearing loud colors or flamboyant outfits. I think if Clay wore something else he would've gotten a different reaction.

I'm waiting for the download of the last AI rewind to finish but reading your comments, I remember how I felt when Clay came out and sang "Grease". At first I just laughed at the whole outfit but I actually liked it! I thought it was cool that he would do that...and although I HATE the song in general, he sounded good, I thought. But then....then. He did that 'hip shake thing' and I actually groaned---and not in a good way. God. I couldn't believe it. Of course, five years later I've come to know that when it comes to Clay, believe it or leave it 'coss he's gonna do it. BWAH!

But then? Holy shit. I thought, "Oh, well. It was a nice run. He's gonna get LAMBASTED...that looked so freakin' dorky and stupid and insult-worthy that he's crossed the line here and will never hear the end of it, etc."

I STILL cringe whenever I watch him do those hip shakes. Lordy, Clay. Just....say....no.

Aww, muski! :cryingwlaughter: I remember giggling maniacally at the hip shakes! God love him. Paula kept getting after him to move and he.... :cryingwlaughter: I just love Clay Aiken!

I enjoyed Grease and I didn't mind his look or hip movements AT ALL!

Actually, although I wasn't crazy about his 'outfits' in a couple of episodes, I didn't particularly dislike his appearance in any of them except for his hairstyle for his Group2 semi performance. After that, I thought he looked either interesting or gorgeous, or both!

I admit, I was rolling on the floor during Grease - for once I didn't even pay attention to the vocals (my sister had to bring to my attention how gorgeous they were) - I just thought it was his "Kiss my shiny white ass, Simon" performance and loved it...

I admit, I was rolling on the floor during Grease - for once I didn't even pay attention to the vocals (my sister had to bring to my attention how gorgeous they were) - I just thought it was his "Kiss my shiny white ass, Simon" performance and loved it...

KAndre, you are me! I was laughing so hard during this performance, and then I was like "that was one ballsy performance." I loved every freakin' minute of it (OK, so it was only a minute and a half long, but still....).

I am doing a rewind of the REWIND series and I am confused. I just noticed that Carmen R. was in the line that was sent home.

What happened to get her back in again? I must have been distracted or something but looks like I missed a few things.

She was Simon's Wild Card pick to come back, Claytonic.

She was Simon's Wild Card pick to come back, Claytonic.

annabear, I mean she was sent home BEFORE the Top 32 were selected.

What I am wondering is... did they change their mind and bring her back? Maybe I am jsut muddled! But I am sure I saw her in a line that was cut.

Yep, she was a total shocker to have been brought back to the Wild Card because you're right, she didn't make the top 32. Either Simon or Nigel were just psychotic, I think.

Yep, she was a total shocker to have been brought back to the Wild Card because you're right, she didn't make the top 32. Either Simon or Nigel were just psychotic, I think.

OK, I got it now. I just didn't remember seeing Carmen in Groups 1-4. I realize now that for the Wildcard group, the judges also selected some members they had previously cut at Glendale. That's where I got a bit confused as I thought all the Wildcards were from the first 4 semifinal groups. I watched so much of AI2 at the same time that I got totally confused with so many faces!

While it seemed totally weird that Simon chose Carmen for his Wildcard pick (especially since IMO her performance was the worst in the Wildcard episode) I think he had his mind set on a potential country star.

For Season 4, he predicted that Carrie Underwood would not only win but also sell more than anyone else on Idol. Carrie's amazing success is testament to the fact that Simon was looking for a country star although he didn't like country music himself. This is just my view, of course, but I think he thought Carmen might have had that potential because she had the right image. Unfortunately, she just didn't have the talent to compete with the other Idols that made it to the Top 12.

I know some of you don't like Kimbermee because of her apparent selfishness, but watching through REWIND, Julia seemed the more self-centered one. I really think the mix-up over the rehearsal was more Julia's fault than KimC's. Overall, I feel Kim's behaviour at times was due to immaturity rather than anything else. LOL like I said, just my opinion. I also thought KimC's voice was closest to being 'up there' with KLO's and Trenyce's, she was certainly better than Vanessa, Julia, and Carmen.

There was a theory during the time that Simon was forced to choose Carmen, that she was truly the producers show because they didn;t have a cute blonde to attract the young crowd. Simon hates country so it is really strange for him to pick her. The biggest clue to this theory was how grouchy Simon was during the Wildcard results show. They were teasing him about being upset about something and its as if he had to suck some lemons. I tend to agree with this theory.

I actually sympathized with Kim C too with that little drama. I thought it was stupid for Julia to just sit around waiting instead of looking for them. I thought she totally misunderstood the plan. I suspected having the camera filming her looking sas and pathetic was to tempting to try and actually do something about the situation.

I also thought Julia was whiny in that scenario. Maybe it was because she was not in the business before and she never was aggressive. Also believe that the whole thing was orchestrated and edited to make her look bad or introduce some drahmah.

I didn't start to dislike KimC until she became such an obvious camera hog. I do think she was partially the product of a pushy stage mom. I didn't get my KimC dislike from reading the boards, I always found her annoying.

Oh, I never particularly liked Julia - especially when she got her sister to make an ass of herself. I didn't exactly sympathize with KimberMe but totally like how she and the group kept on steppin'...

It was always KimberMe's eyebrows for me. And then seeing the horror that her mother made of herself (people, cheap plastic surgery is TOTALLY not worth) and her mother did strike me as the stage mother from hell. Other than that, I though KimberMe made the most of what she had. What she sang well, she did well - she had no versatility at all and a very limited range. Frankly I think Vanessa had much more range, versatily and a better voice - I don't think she had enough conventional attractiveness or enough charisma to go with her quirkiness, and got totally screwed on the messin' with Ryan thing.

I always thought that Vanessa got caught by a Nikki rebound. After all, it was Nikki's fault that Tamyra got voted off! (according to SImon and rumors of her auto dialing friends and other nasty stuff spread about her). And.... and.... vanessa had RED HAIR!!!! An obvious connection in the viewers mind.

As I recall people were calling out Kim at the way she jumped into the camera shot of Clay's friends to high 5 them while he was performing aftger winning wildcard. Then when Chrales was eliminated he sayid "come on, people" and Kim took it as an invitation to dance with him. I think she was socially somewhat inept, as many child performers seem to be. Some where something happened between Kim and Clay because after a while they seemed quite cool to each other (not so much on the tour with the fans around and cameras near Clay). After the tour she did some how sort of bad mouth him, but it was so unimportant, I forgot what it was. When the cameras turn off after the tour and the opportunities are not there, it was hard for some.

I also thought Julia was whiny in that scenario. Maybe it was because she was not in the business before and she never was aggressive. Also believe that the whole thing was orchestrated and edited to make her look bad or introduce some drahmah.

I didn't start to dislike KimC until she became such an obvious camera hog. I do think she was partially the product of a pushy stage mom. I didn't get my KimC dislike from reading the boards, I always found her annoying.

That is what I suspect as well, as I cannot believe that someone old enough to qualify for American Idol didn't have basic lateral thinking skills - i.e. Julia sat down and sulked instead of doing the most obvious thing.... calling KimC's room and leaving a message there. Actually, I am sure the arrangements were to meet in KimC's room in an hour... so if I heard correctly, then Julia was the one totally at fault and it would have been easier for her to track down Kim than the other way around. Yeah, surely it HAD to be set up to make the show more interesting. Surprisingly though, the audience VOTED Julia in!!! I thought a couple of others in her group were better. There was a lot of talent that year.

Oh I thought Julia had the best voice in their group. What she didn't have was performing experience and simply the personality to become a star.

Maybe it was her overall package that I was not impressed with. I didn't like the way she dressed and especially the way she walked. And yes, she looked very awkward when she was performing. She had a beautiful smile though. But it was her whiney-ness with the conflict/misunderstanding that turned me off. She was very naive, and so was her sister.

Finally got the chance to watch both episodes of AI Rewind today. What a double whammy! Probably my two favourite weeks in the entire series.

General comments.............I love Ruben's voice, I really do. So smooth, so wonderful. I'm looking forward to his CD of covers this year, because I bet I will enjoy it more than his original stuff. Trenyce, I like her more now on Rewind than I ever did back in 2003. Not sure why......maybe it's her comments that are making the difference. She seems to have a nice personality, but back then, I remember reading some not-so-nice things about her on the boards, and maybe I bought into them when I shouldn't have. Kim Locke, I seem to like less watching now than I did watching then. Her comments don't help. Josh I never really liked, there is just something about his voice that grates on me, and he is not pleasing to watch. His expressions and his body language never did anything for me.

Clay...........what can I say? 4 of my favourite performances ever! BMUB was brilliant, Solitaire is the ultimate (for me), TLS was again brilliant, and Grease knocked my socks off, just because of the guts I think it took. And the vocals on that song were amazing, IMO.

OK, I started this post before the Neil Sedaka episode ended, and Josh is doing Bad Blood right now. Really exemplifies all the things I don't like about him. Yikes.

I must sign off now so I can soak up the Solitaire performance. I have been waiting all week for this. Hee, I know I could just watch the download but it's just not the same!

ETA: Where the hell was the beginning of the song? That was just weird. But just as powerful as I remember it. It literally knocked me off the couch when I watched it in 2003. And to find out now that the lighting was Clay's idea? That is SO cool. BWAH to his crotch comment. What a guy. :P

I must sign off now so I can soak up the Solitaire performance. I have been waiting all week for this. Hee, I know I could just watch the download but it's just not the same!

EXACTLY!!!

I had watched all of Clay's individual performances either via YouTube or Clack Unlimited BUT (thanks to KAndre) watching those performances within the context of the competition made them so much more meaningful and enjoyable. They truly showed Clay as a standout on the verge of superstardom.