Photoshop Techniques

It's time to show you how to make your own brushes!

birthday07wp.jpg

You've played with the maple leaf and stars, and when I made this yesterday, I looked for a snowflake brush, but didn't have one in the palette. So here's what I did:

• I searched on Google for "snowflake" and an image I liked came up right away.

I right-clicked and saved it to my hard drive.

Then I opened it in Photoshop.

I selected the magic wand tool and selected the snowflake outline.

(I wouldn't have had to do this if there hadn't been text on the image)

with the outline selected, I c/p'd it into a new file (with a transparent background).

then....... here's the really easy part.... I clicked the Edit menu and chose "Define Brush".

a window pops up and asks you to name the brush, then click OK.

Now the brush should appear in your brush palette as the last item.

as always, you can resize the brush and play with the settings in the Brush Presets box.

Have fun!!

(if you need more information on these techniques, check back to the previous tutorials)

I didn't know this thread was here. Wow, I love Clay in profile or silhouette...I've read from page 1 but will have to try some of these techniques. I know very little about photoshop but would like to try.

I'm so impressed with your drawings, Laughn. My one and only attempt to draw on Photoshop and I was pulling my hair out. I didn't have a drawing stylus or anything and trying to do with a mouse was difficult. I got Clay's silhouette done okay on PS, but I was going to have him standing on the state of Oklahoma like it was a stage and I ended up hand drawing it and taking a photo of it and filling it in on PS.

I'm going to have to attempt one with photos. Nice work, cha cha.

OK...can I please request banners from all these fantastic pictures!!!

They are just sooooo gorgeous...

and if you are all so inspired...just keep the banners coming and I will try to use them in the coming weeks.

thanks so much for sharing your talent and art work!!!

OK...can I please request banners from all these fantastic pictures!!!

They are just sooooo gorgeous...

and if you are all so inspired...just keep the banners coming and I will try to use them in the coming weeks.

thanks so much for sharing your talent and art work!!!

Ansa - I'll try to make the sillouette into a banner, and maybe the other one at the top of the page...

In the meantime I hope you can use the "Christmas in the Heartland" one!! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

(it's in my gallery) :)

Ok - I am going to ask a simple question and I hope someone has a simple answer.

If one were tagging their pictures and made a typo but didn't notice until they had saved everything, how would one go back and correct it?

Case in point - this picture where I made a typo on the word "Poughkeepsie"

raresmile.jpg

Ok - I am going to ask a simple question and I hope someone has a simple answer.

If one were tagging their pictures and made a typo but didn't notice until they had saved everything, how would one go back and correct it?

Case in point - this picture where I made a typo on the word "Poughkeepsie"

raresmile.jpg

hmmmm never had to do that before. what is your photo editor? How did you put the tags? I would suggest checking if you have tag editing.Did you put the tags through your camera? If so maybe you can just do that again before downloading. I never took pictures and tagged them before but those are some of the things that comes logically to me.

BTW...your pictures are inspiring me to do some banners.....great job.

I've done a little bit of tagging, when my husband and I went to Ireland last year. Hopefully, you saved the picture as a file format that is editable in your photo program (for example, Photoshop Editor has a .psd file extension) as well as a .jpg. If you DID save it in that first format, whatever it may be, you can go back into your program, open that file, make your change, and then save again both as the file format and .jpg. If not, the best thing I can suggest is to re-upload the blank picture and redo the tag.

Maybe chacha has some better ideas?

I've done a little bit of tagging, when my husband and I went to Ireland last year. Hopefully, you saved the picture as a file format that is editable in your photo program (for example, Photoshop Editor has a .psd file extension) as well as a .jpg. If you DID save it in that first format, whatever it may be, you can go back into your program, open that file, make your change, and then save again both as the file format and .jpg. If not, the best thing I can suggest is to re-upload the blank picture and redo the tag.

I was afraid you would say something like that. I only saved it as a .jpg. I was gooing to redo it, but I played with the color and got it just right. Wonder if I can do that again???

Thanks ldyj - you answered the question the same way I would have!

CG - Two ways to avoid this in the future:

-- never save your tagged photos in the same folder as your originals. Then if you mess up, you can start over with the original.

-- save as a .psd file (if you are using photoshop) before saving as a .jpg. if you need to redo, just reopen the psd file and edit.

I fixed it for you!!

raresmile.jpg

Here's how I did it:

• select marquis tool and draw a rectangle around 'Poug'

select move tool and move the rectangle so the letters Poug cover the second 'g', deselect

select the eyedropper tool and sample the color next to the square left when you moved the first four letters

use marquis tool to select the area around the missing area

select the paint bucket tool and fill the missing piece

if the offset of the letters bothers you, repeat with the other line(s)

and I forgot to mention to enlarge the area with the magnifying glass before you start, so you can see it better!

BTW - great photo!!! :)