Hockey

ShelleyC

Sens rule! ;-) I am originally from Ottawa, so I am prejudiced... I thought since hockey is coming back, we should have a hockey topic... nothing much is going on right now though, I don't think... the Sports Forum just seemed so empty so I added a topic...

I'm a sports fanatic but I have to admit hockey is one sport I just can't seem to get by watching. So now you can enlighten me heee.

I know I'm about to sound like a "girl" but believe me in football, basketball golf and baseball I could be an announcer!

I know what they are trying to do..get the little pucky thing in the net... but I'm always confused by the penalty box. Is that a foul? And how is the time determined?

What do Canadians think about that hockey player that went off a few weeks ago..sorry forget his name but he was talking about how much he had given up and berated the fans (not all the fans) about not wanting them in the stadium. Yeah, we got all kinds of coverage of that on our sports radio but rarely do they talk about hockey here unless a local team makes the playoffs.

I just thought of adding this topic last night because I was listening to the news and they were talking about how hockey is coming back and the agreements are all signed and stuff... plus we had no topics in the Sports forum and it looked lonely...

Honestly though, I know nothing about sports... the only thing I pay attention to even remotely is hockey and even then, I don't get that into it... I just sort of keep track of who is winning and then I laugh at my Toronto co-workers when Ottawa is beating the Leafs...

As for the penalty box? Yeah, that's when somebody does something illegal in the game (although I'm not sure what counts as illegal) and then they have to go sit there for a pre-determined amount of time (not sure how long penalties are) and then they can go back and play the game when the time is up... see - I'm not much help! ;-)

Lord, this is pitiful...but cute! Oh so cute!

The only thing I know about hockey is that my child loved it at age 10 - and it was freaking HARD finding him a place to learn and play in Houston - and he wanted to be a GOALIE (tries hard not to think about how much those skates costs).

I have liked the Aeros games I have attended (both of them) but am in Angela's boat. And we since have an expert (you know, that's your new designation, chickie, ShelleyC, hockey expert extraordinaire), so I shall ask you: 1) What is the blue line for and 2) Do hockey players really develop nice butts?

As for the penalty box? Yeah, that's when somebody does something illegal in the game (although I'm not sure what counts as illegal) and then they have to go sit there for a pre-determined amount of time (not sure how long penalties are) and then they can go back and play the game when the time is up... see - I'm not much help! ;-)

I'm no hockey expert, but I can google.....

From the NHL Rule book.....

For a "MINOR PENALTY", any player, other than a goalkeeper, shall be ruled off the ice for two minutes during which time no substitute shall be permitted.

For the first "MAJOR PENALTY" in any one game, the offender, except the goalkeeper, shall be ruled off the ice for five minutes during which time no substitute shall be permitted. An automatic fine of one hundred dollars ($100) shall also be added when a major penalty is imposed for any foul causing injury to the face or head of an opponent by means of a stick.

For the third major penalty in the same game to the same player, or for a major for butt-ending, cross-checking, high-sticking, slashing or spearing, he shall be ruled off the ice for the balance of the game, but a substitute shall be permitted to replace the player so suspended after five minutes have elapsed. (Major penalty plus game misconduct penalty with automatic fine of two hundred dollars ($200).)

Penalties include:

Abuse of Officials, Attempt to Injure, Board Checking and Checking from Behind, Charging, Cross-Checking, Elbowing, Kneeing and Head-Butting, High Sticks, Hooking, Slashing, Spearing and Butt-Ending, Tripping, & Unnecessary Roughness.

And here is a cute little visual for all the ref signals.

Edited by buzztechie

And we since have an expert (you know, that's your new designation, chickie, ShelleyC, hockey expert extraordinaire)

Oh good God, NO! As I explained above, I'm not an expert by any stretch of the imagination... I'm not even a novice! I just put this topic in here for the sake of having one topic in this forum at all... ;-)

Too late, Shelley! All the other hockey fans in your family must now bow to your knowledge. It's on the net, it must be true!

I find myself oddly intrigued by the butt-ending mentioned by Buzztechie. Hmmm. I guess I could Google, but frankly think what I make up will be more interesting.

I find myself oddly intrigued by the butt-ending mentioned by Buzztechie.  Hmmm.  I guess I could Google, but frankly think what I make up will be more interesting.

From the rule book.....

"Butt-ending" shall mean using the end of the shaft of the stick in a jabbing motion.

Why didnt they just call it "jabbing" or "poking"?