American Idol

ShelleyC

Besides telling him, that was the worst song choice on God's Green Earth, what sort of constructive criticism does that pissant Ryan want? I still thinks he's a total punk for the cowboy remark yesterday. Piss off, Seamonkey.

I am going to float this theory - they decided who they want and they have to make sure everyone else is worse than him and that is why we are getting this. Remember, who ever it is can't be at his best, he has to grow with each show. Ace.

AAAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGHHH

Fox news pimp - Are the contestants hooking up - Crushes revealed at 10.

AAAAAAARRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH

And the Boy Band returns -s Ace does sing like he should be in insync.

Not through the nose please.

Well, well, Randy recognizes that the other cannot sing - definitely set this up - Oh Ace, please, please, do a Mario on them.

Edited by playbiller

Ace is very traditionally cute - not much vocally. Ooooh, look at the camera work! We have our official pimpee! He's not horrible therefore will go through. Honestly, his voice is just meh to me. I love that song but he did not at all kick it.

Shut up Randy.

Simon is right about the lack of voice - I'm not really seeing the "X" factor - I'm not seeing the personality.

OMG Ace sounded terrible in Hollywood...nasally and out of tune...

Father figure...his voice is too nasally...and he sounds like Nick Lachey, no he is no George micheal...but good performance and stage presence...a little affected in the end.

Paula...hope you are not trying to get personal contact with this guy.

Super pimpee...I actually like this guy cos he really seem nervous...but vocals not good and yeah he's cute...he can go to the top 12..for eye candy. But I don;t think his vocals will improve

What's with the squatting, Taylor? Why is he so affected acting? He still sounds like he's channelling Ray Charles and therefore does not qualify at original to me.

He'll move past this but just is not thrilling me.

OK...taylor didn't live up to the hype...his voice does not have the body and resonance when singing live.

Billy klippert from CI did this better I think....ok...I knew he would get a tongue bath..

At least he didn;t have too much awkward mannerisms while he was singing.

Rankings...

Chris

Taylor

Ace

Elliott

Patrick

will

Bucky

Gideon

Sway

David

Kevin

Bobby

will go...Bobby & Bucky...lack of face time and bad or forgettable performance.

all in all...I really just founf Chris, taylor and Ace's perfromance as memorable...the rest can all go.

Well, well, well, I have a conclusion - Ace will not hurt Clay, but he will hurt Constantine and Chris will hurt Bo. It was interesting to see at the CH that the woman who are big Connie and Bo fans were the ones falling for Ace and CHris and also the biggest fans of their voices. I don't think I thought about that much before. Should be interesting tomorrow. I think that with these singers, I will lose interest in the show but I willl be interested in following certain fans.

Well, well, well, I have a conclusion - Ace will not hurt Clay, but he will hurt Constantine and Chris will hurt Bo. It was interesting to see at the CH that the woman who are big Connie and Bo fans were the ones falling for Ace and CHris and also the biggest fans of their voices. I don't think I thought about that much before. Should be interesting tomorrow.  I think that with these singers, I will lose interest in the show but I willl be interested in following certain fans.

I can see that...very interesting really. My daughter tells me Ace looks like a youngerbetter looking constantine. I think Chris is a better singer that Bo. I think they tried to get a new Clay too in PAtrick...but that one was a bust I think

At this point...unless Ace crashes and starts to stink vocally I think he will go all the way to the finals. He has a nervous soft spoken personality that keeps him from getting skeevy like Constantine. But that was the only time I heard him sing well...most of the time he really was bad. Based on what I saw I think the top 4 should be Taylor, Ace, Chris and Katherine.

Dragging from the CH:

Man, am I really this picky? Oh yes, I am! OK, here what you have to do to acquire me as a half-assed fan (the full ass belongs to Clay, Prince, George Michael, Aretha, Patti LaBelle, Al Green, Aerosmith, Queen - Yes, I have a high bar for singers - some meet it. Most don't.)

Patrick: I expected better. That just sucked. I'm sorry, if you're gonna lure me in, you have to be pitch perfect from the beginning, then maybe I can forgive you, but if you start out sucky, I just hear the suck and no potential.

David: See Patrick. Queen, huh? I see you're ambitious. Apparently a little tone deaf, but ambitious.

Bucky: That was all kinds of terrible. If you're gonna go growly, you better put some Joe Cocker heart into, otherwise you just sound like crap. And he did remind me of a poor man's Bo. Another rule for me to like you - don't remind me of anybody else. Whether I like them or not. Especially not a cheap-assed version. I think you're going home because your performance was bad and you had so little face time prior to this.

Sway: bayoubevo, doll, I'll send you the original "Reasons" because that was just beyond awful - I don't think "Sway" actually has ever heard Phillip Bailey do this song. Phillip goes on my list up there, and I general hate falsettos - but his is incredible. And in tune. And consistant. And not painful.

Will: See Patrick and David. And dude, Michael Jackson has issues, but especially during the Jackson 5 era, had one of the most incredible voices of his or any generation. And could actually like dance and sing at the same time successfully. Like David, you're ambitious. Delusional, but ambitious. You did stay in tune though. Good on you! Now stop.

Kevin: See Patrick and David and Will. Somebody said he was like a version of 16 year old Clay - I sorta see that but, from the clips of the 16 year old Clay I think I've managed to see, Clay had better stage presence (of course, he wasn't on national tv) and always played to his strengths (or at least, only allowed that to be videotaped). Kevin is a fairly good 16 year old - but I've heard great ones, and I'm not hearing the potential for great, I'm hearing the potential for good and he's only getting me to listen to the potential because he's nothing but a baby.

Chris: A pleasant surprise. I could tell he has had professional experience, and to me he clearly is willing to work for it. Great song choice, good performance. I like him so far. I wouldn't pay to hear him at this point though. Not live and not on a CD. I'm hoping he raises his game.

Gedeon: I hated his attitude. Blech. And really, he's not as good as he thinks he is, but no one will be able to tell him this. Absolutely perfect song choice, really fortunate placement (6 terrible performances with only 1 good one before him), fair to middling though very karoake performance. He would be perfect for Mardi Gras here in Galveston (you know with the free entertainment that people only listen to the tried and true covers being performed by third rate bands because when they do their own music it clearly sucks).

Bobby: The polar opposite of Gedeon. I'm so sad you're leaving - you could stay if you promised not to sing anymore. I like his attitude. Absolutely the worst song choice ever, bar none; really bad placement (coming behind the only two halfway decent performances at that point in the night); middling to bad performance. Dude, you are so going home.

Elliott: Man, I know I'm shallow, but that dude was so very fugly. He gives a fairly decent performance, but falls into the common error of oversinging Stevie Wonder (performance people - the 70's Stevie was really fairly subtle. Work on that). Good song choice, no stage presence to counteract the fugly - he's fortunate he's in a year that so many of his competitors want to self-destruct early.

Ace: The new Justin Timberlake. Conventionally handsome, shading to pretty (especially compared to his competitors on this show, but honestly, not that special), his voice doesn't suck on appropriate material (now that is damning with faint praise) - he is total eye candy. His performance is not popping for me though - all I am getting is seriously humble, which is triggering my BS meter because in general, a guy that good looking and wants to be in entertainment, usually isn't that humble. I could be wrong. Nyah.

Taylor: OK, the Ray impersonation is already seriously old to me. He's reminding me of Eddie Murphy doing Stevie. Again, and I can't emphasize this strongly enough, do not remind me of someone else. I already have a Ray Charles, dude, and he was much Ray Charlesier than you. If he continues like this, it will start passing from tribute to mockery for me. Well, Levon was sort of a great song choice - I would have thought it ideal for him but his voice sounded really thin to me on it, maybe it was the arrangement but I didn't hear any vocal depth - I'm afraid he would be someone that I might listen to on CD but wouldn't go to see live (especially if he was being all spastic and shit). I liked his take on it - I would like to hear John Legend try it now. Or Bill Medley a couple of years ago. Or, let's see, Clay. heh.

From the guys, the only ones I might be tempted to listen to again would be Chris and Taylor - and I wouldn't go out of my way for either of them. I don't see any IT - just a couple of workmanlike performances, a couple of talent show level, and a whole lot of crap. Just like the girls on Tuesday.

My rankings:

Chris - I hope you can develop "IT" - you are fortunate that this is the year you get to compete - in the other four years, you would have been solidly in the middle of the pack.

Taylor - bring me something different, dude. And work on developing the timbre of voice in the context of this competition - it's lacking for now. You don't have enough pretty to compete with Ace and frankly performance and voice-wise, Chris is ahead of you right now.

Ace - just the attractiveness got him this high - I really hope he's holding something vocally in reserve because otherwise the phrase "disposal pop prince" leaps to mind

Elliot - the fugly put him under Ace - The Amish look is so 18th century dude - makeover stat!

Gedeon - Dude, song choice saved your ass. Tone down the 'tude.

Kevin / David / Will / Patrick - Dudes, song choice killed your asses. First voting night for America is not the time to experiment.

Bucky / Sway - Dudes, you just sucked.

Bobby - Dude, incredibly bad song choice performed horribly. There is no way you can win. None.

Hee...I am also doing the same post on CH and here..hey its a long post.

This season is very interesting for me...I think AI really does not have a set game plan...they just peppered the competition with clones of their past successes and they filled it up with characters they think will be compelling TV.

cast of characters starting with the girls:

Kellie...is the new Carrie. It hink her vocals can compete with Carrie if she conquers the nerves but she has a stronger likeability factor about her. That sob story is powerful and she does not seem as pretty pony princess perfect as Carrie.. BUT the crux of it is ...if she can conquer the nerves and bring it during competition. IF her vocals improve I can see her getting more popular than Carrie. The crucial thing for her is...can she keep up with the others in performance.

Katherine...I see is the new Kelly. She has the vocal chops and musical versatility of Kelly. She has the same kooky, wholesome and girl next door personality, without appearing to be an airhead like Kelly. I think her vocal chords may be stronger, or healthier than Kelly's. I think she can be tehnically better...and may be able to protect her chords more than Kelly. She is also so much more attractive and sexy than Kelly. she is very sensuous in an innocent way that Kelly does not have. I think she would be able to pull off the sexy clothes Kelly tries to wear nowadays. So If this girl does not implode...I think she can very well compete for Kelly's fanbase.

Paris...the new Fantasia. Right now her problem is how to connect with the emotion of the song and give it real intensity not just act like it. She does have a potentially more pleasing tone than Fantasia but what sets Fantasia apart is how she totally gets lost in the performance. Paris I thought was too self conscious the other night and was playing the part of a young Glady's Knight instead of Paris interpreting a Glady's song. But this is early in the competition. Maybe the three weeks of semifinals will help her connect with the songs more. But not if she will get tongue baths every week.

Mandisa..the new Klo/Frenchy. She is beautiful and sexy. She was high energy...and she has the vocal chops. What she doesn't have is Klo's beautiful bluesy tone (which she seem to be losing in her recordings). The plus for her is that she has a very nice personality. Klo's spunk was grating at times. Mandisa seem to be rally down to earth, sweet and lots of confidence without being cocky. I think her speech to Simon was great and very real.

Lisa...the new tamyra. She is poised, beautiful and has a beautiful voice. But like tamyra, she has a boring personality. She is one that impresses you when she sings but you forget after a bit. I do hope she starts to sing songs more age appropriate for her so we can see her personality more.

I think the rest of the girls are the bit players to fill in the drama...

Ayla...the girl who has everything that everybody hates cos she is so perfect.

Brenna...AI's Omarosa.

Becky...sexy seductress

stevie...the ethereal beauty

Kinnick...regular diva (I didn't see her mentioned in the summaries, did I just miss her?)

Heather/melissa...interchangable pretty girls with mediocre voice

With the girls...I think the producers got more winners than the guys, I think there are 5 to 6 girls here that has potential for a singing career and one or two who I think can be stars like Kelly and Carrie.

Top six: Katherine, Mandisa, Lisa, ayla, Kellie, Paris

want to go: Brenna, Becky

willgo: heather and stevie

On to the Guys..same situation:

Patrick...obviously the Clay clone, but once again, AI is totally clueless about what made Clay tick. It wasn't the fact that he was geeky and thin...it was his beautiful voice and a star presence. That is why Clay can hold an arena full of audience in the palm of his hands with minimal choreography...Patrick, has a mediocre voice that is not as versatile as Clay's. He has no IT what so ever. BORING. BTW...I really didn't think he meant to diss Clay by comparing himself and saying he wants to be different. I think its a good move cos he knows he cannot win that comparison.

Ace...Connie/justin combined. The looks and performing skills but mediocre voice. I do think that Ace has the potential to be more successful that Connie or Justin, because he seem more down to earth and real. I admit I had a bias against him cos of the pimping and the pretty face and the boy band voice. But he made a believer out of me last night when he was so obviously nervous and a bit embarrassed by the praise he got. I don't get the cocky vibe I get from JustinG or the skeeviness I got from Connie. He is just a really cute guy, who knows how to perform and work an audience. Now the question is...will he be able to keep choosing songs that will not show how weak his voice really is? Will he continue to make smart song choices and keep the pimping from going to his head?

Bucky...Bo clone. Unfortunately he is just a tad too redneck. Vocally I think he can be as good as Bo if he tones down the growliness...but Bo has more IT than this guy. Simon is right, a good bar singer.

Taylor...I think they are using the Ruben formula here...no he is not the same type of singer and in looks. But just like Ruben he does not have a popstar look, he strongly reminds people of singing legends i.e. ray and joe and they are pushing the personality. Good guy, fun and lovable guy factor. I think it will work for Taylor cos he does have a more animated personality than Ruben. I was a bit disappointed with his vocals cos he sounded better recorded than live. His voice didn't have the resonance and body it had on the Mp3. Also his mannerisms, if not controlled can become a liability.

David...a John stevens clone...but I bet they are hoping for a young Harry connick...the crooner and the cute guy from high school look. Last night however...he tried to perform out of his comfort zone and he fell flat. His vocals were bad and his face looked funny while singing. I think he may end up in top 12 if he gors back to his strengths.

Will...I think they are going for the same fanbase that Anthony F had. This is the cute sweet guy in highschool with a good voice. Another one that tried to go out of his comfort zone but failed. If he does not show better singing than David I think they will split the teenybopper votes and go out early.

Now the others are the character fillers instead of clones:

Chris...the rocker. I don;t think he is exactly a Bo clone... but he follows the same style. I thik he was the best Rock voice that AI ever found. I love the texture...it is very much like lifehouse and switchfoot guys. I think he has the potential to outshine BO if they can market him properly and if they don;t screw around with his image much. He was my favorite male so far.

Kevin...the cute puppy...unfortuntaely wrong song choice, whatever vocal strength he had was not highlighted with that song. I say stay in your comfort zone for now.

Sway...the boyband...hiphop...pimpy type. He did a passable version of Reason's, but he is annoying.

Gideon...the female Brenna. But he was smart in choosing a fun song...but I doubt they want him in top 6

Bobby...comic relief.

Elliot...I think they just liked his voice. But the guy is ugly and has no charisma...and was very pitchy last night. Despite Simon's comments I think he is just a filler.

I think the only real winners I can see in the guys are Chris, Taylor and Ace. I think the others performed subpar and I really don't see much potential there. I am having a real hard time picking my top 6.

Top six: Chris, Taylor, Ace, Bucky, Will, Elliot

should go: Bobby and Kevin

Will go: Bobby and Sway

Oh yeah, Ansa, we did - you're just nicer than moi. I'll finish listening to the girls tonight and give my rankings then, but frankly I don't even remember one being good from Tuesday - and that's a bad sign for the girls.

I do think y'all are right - I think TPTB think they have discovered the successful archetypes for AI: Kelly, Clay, Fantasia, Carrie, Bo and Constantine - and want not necessarily to replace them, but to replicate or improve upon their sucess. I'm stealing Ansa's equivalents 'cause I think she's right:

Katherine/Kelly - Did I hear Katherine last night? Cause I don't remember which one she was. I'll listen again tonight.

Patrick/ :wub:Clay :wub:- TPTB clearly don't get Clay because they are missing by a mile. Grade so far: F- In fact, TPTB failed so badly they not only get retained a grade, we are sending them back to kindergarten. What, you thought you would get out of high school this year? Well, you were WRONG, now weren't you?

Paris/Fantasia - Fantasia, as much as some dislike her - does have IT. Paris doesn't and frankly needs a lot more seasoning and better song choices. Fantasia can be charming, Paris not so much. And I hate her speaking voice. Grade so far: F-

Kellie/Carrie - I hate her and Carrie's backstory. I hate her and Carrie's "naiviety". Not sure about the voice yet. Grade so far: C- but definite possibility to drop.

Bucky/Bo - Bo has much better hair. Grade so far: F-. Oh, and Bo sounded better and had superlative song choices, lessee Whipping Post vs. A Simple Man. It was the first time I ever hear either of the songs. I immediately saved Whipping Post to my computer, looked up the original, my sister forced me to burn a copy for her. And commented that it's clear Bo had been trained properly. I'm trying not to imagine what she meant. Trying really hard. A Simple Man - I had to go back and look up what Bucky sang again, and went 'feh'.

Chris/Bo- Bo has much better hair again but Bo didn't sound that much better but I think his song choice was slightly better than Dead or Alive, which was an excellent choice - I just think Bo had the best performance in the first voting rounds bar none (including Clay because I think his Open Arms just wasn't a good choice and he paid for it) Grade so far: B but could go either way.

Ace/Constatine- Ace is much prettier and frankly more mainstream accessible. I don't think he has the versatility or charisma of Connie, but is more of a predictable/known quantity. Connie could be very, very good or absolutely horrible. Ace I don't think will hit either the highs or lows. Grade so far: C but could go either way.

Hey KAndre, you forgot a few

Sway/Mario

most guys tonight/Charles - for strength in vocals

Becky/Julia (except Julia was nice)

I will think some more and come up with them before tonight - I will sign on and listen to what is posted while watching the olympics, heh. I don't want to see a recap of the show. Once was enough. Should have not woke up last night.

Wasn't someone like Trenyce?

WHOO HOO - A group song or rather a take a turn song - How hard is it to sing in a group - high schools do it all the time?

Edited by playbiller