Politics'R'US

djs111

Wonderful story about the kids who were with President Bush when he received the 911 news and how they perceived his actions; quite different from how the press spun the story:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/20110504/us_time/08599206932700

Kim

I think the reason Hillary looks so apprehensive in that picture taken during the raid, is that from what I've read today, she was one of the ones voting against the ground raid. There were three options at Thursday's meeting -- send in ground forces to capture or retrieve the body, blow up the place from the air with a couple of bunker busting bombs, or wait for proof that Bin Laden was actually there.

The article basically says that the operational people were for the ground raid, and everybody else divided up between the other two options because they believed a ground raid was fraught with risk. Obama made the decision overnight and called everyone in on Friday to announce that he had decided to go with the ground raid and put it in motion immediately. He directed that an additional helicopter be included in case of malfunctions, and then it was out of his hands and JSOC took over.

Obama was worried that too many people knew about the pending operation and the location of the compound to delay taking action. He nixed the air attack because it would have killed everyone in the house and there would never have been proof that Bin Laden was there. Not even the military would have known. We now know there were something like 23 children in the house, and 9 women, I believe, who are in the custody of the Pakistanis and being returned to their country(ies) of origin.

I think Obama was up for the 3am call.

Wow, interesting information. You are always so well read. Obama really had guts to take such a big risk in order to proceed with the ground raid. I appreciate that he did not want to just kill everyone indiscriminately, especially the children, and then not even be sure that Bin Laden was actually dead. I remember hearing our former commander in chief, when interviewed about the killing of innocent civilians, state that they were "collateral" damage.

Wonderful story about the kids who were with President Bush when he received the 911 news and how they perceived his actions; quite different from how the press spun the story:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/20110504/us_time/08599206932700

Kim

What spin? We have the WHOLE video, not just pieces of Bush after the attack message. We watched him sit and bite his lip and look weird for nearly seven minutes after being told "America is under attack." There's not much to "perceive" -- it's forever on tape. If you're the President of the United States, and you're told "America is under attack," and you're at an elementary school, how do you know that the school isn't a target because you're there? He should have gotten the hell out of there and to a secure location with his sophisticated communications equipment seconds after he heard the news - for the safety of the children among other considerations. "Boys and girls, sometimes the President has to be called away and I have to leave earlier than planned. I'll come back very soon and finish the story."

I've always wondered what Rush Limbaugh would have done with a liberal president sitting there all that time in the face of an attack on the country. Watch and judge for yourself.

Watched the Republican debate last night and was amazed at the love fest for each other. In a debate shouldn't they be arguing why they are different from their opponents? Pawlenty really shot himself in the foot biting his tongue when asked about what he had said the day before about Mitt Romney's health care plan. I think that "deer in the headlights" look will follow him in his campaign.

It looked to me like they were auditioning to be Mitt Romney's VP. I was looking forward to a vigorous campaign from the Republicans. I hope they haven't given up. Being unaffiliated, but pretty liberal, I do like to see both sides but with the Republicans becoming so religeous and disrespectful of woman's right to choose, I don't think I'll have a choice. Eveyone of them, except Ron Paul, wanted a constitutional amendment prohibiting same sex marriage and didn't believe in a woman's right to choose. I have a hard time with government entering that part of people's personal lives.

I had to admire Michelle Bachman who came across as a viable candidate. She actually expressed views stating that she wouldn't interfere in states that believed same sex marriage was legal but then she backed off when the others said that there should be a consitutional amendment making it illegal. I'm convinced that they are all being told what they should say and what they believe.

Saying that I don't think I'll bother watching another debate amongst Republicans unless they are willing to "debate".

I am very disappointed this morning..I really thought Romney had a chance; guess I was wrong. I didn't think Obama was qualified to be President 4 years ago and I still don't think he earned a second term..still don't understand what people see in him or why they think he is so good for this country. Are people really voting for the man or for the Democratic platform? I am sure there are a lot of people who voted for him simple because of the color of his skin just as there were probably just as many who voted for Romney for the same reason.

All I can hope for now is that the Republicans can come up with a viable candidate in 4 years..going to be a very long 4 years for those of us on the other side.

Kim

aikim, until the Republicans recognize that this country is not made up of old white men and that people of different ethnic and racial backrounds not to mention women are becoming a big part of the population, they are not going to win nationally. Look at the voting records of those different groups. I support the President not because of his race but because of his support of women, gay folks and people of all racial and ethnic backgrounds. We are a diverse country and it's time to recognize that. The economy is beginning to recover so no matter who won, I think the jobs would have followed. My son, who is self-employed, said he heard from several companies that they were not committing to new projects until after the election.

Friends of Romney have said that he is a great guy. I wish he had shown more of that in this campaign and perhaps had actually told us what his plans are for the country. We know the President's plans from his previous proposals. JMO

And hurray for no more political ads for a while.