2009 Super Bowl

Clayzy

Anyone else planning on watching the big game? Or just the commercials? :) I used to be that way, until I went crazy for football.

Anyway, I'm rooting for the Cardinals (I just love underdogs!) and I thought I'd see if anyone else likes football--or commercials! :D

Anyone else planning on watching the big game? Or just the commercials? :) I used to be that way, until I went crazy for football.

Anyway, I'm rooting for the Cardinals (I just love underdogs!) and I thought I'd see if anyone else likes football--or commercials! :D

I will be watching and rooting for the Cardinals too, not only because they are underdogs but because the difference between the Cardinals/Eagles game and the Steelers/Ravens game last week was huge for both my husband and me. The Cards & Eagles game was played with class whereas the Steelers/Ravens game was brutal and hard to watch. I never saw so many hemet butts with no penalties (from both sides) in my life. Those two teams were out for blood. (Sorry any Ravens or Steelers fans.) Being from WI and still liking Favre, I would have rather watched the Jets and Cardinals in the big game.

Go Cardinals!

Living here in Tampa - I have been hearing about the big parties, the debate about the Lingerie Bowl, and last night I was afraid that the week-long local TV coverage was gonna interfere with Big Bang Theory - whoever set up the feeds for on-site coverage messed up and there was no signal at all for a little bit.

It seems the Bucs players were blind-sided by Gruden's firing, but the fans never liked him and we want Tony back, since Tony moved back home here. But that's not gonna happen.

Most people believe Gruden won that Super Bowl using what Tony set up, and it was downhill ever since, especially quarterbacking.

Yeah, I love watching the commercials! No dog in this hunt, either. Any way, I was so pissed that when Philadelphia finally made it to the Super Bowl, many many years ago, when I lived in Illinois - and they stumbled around the field as if they were a high school team. And the guy I bet a drink with decided to get the most expensive concoction in the bar, instead of his usual beer, and left me broke. (I was pretty poor). So I stopped getting invested in the winner.

When Tampa won, I refused to believe it until I saw the news!

Hey, Couchie - Chuckie is available now!

It is just that he didn't seem to be particularly building anything towards a championship here, and the Bucs still have an iffy Qback situation.

Plus Tony Dungy was much loved, and a hard act to follow. Tony moved back here recently, in retirement - I wonder if he will spend any timehanging out with the team!

I always watch Any Given Sunday when I see it is on - one of my favorite Al Pacino movies. Football, Miami, weird casting (Cameron Diaz, John C. McGinley with a bizarre hair thing going on, Lauren Holly as a mean wife) - and I truly adore the ending - the last few minutes that are interspersed with the titles.

True Confessions

The only thing I know about the Superbowl is:

- that it involves a lot of men running around chasing after a ball

- that it's an event so sacred that some Americans (read: grown-men) will avoid being out of the USA when it was on.*

- that those who HAD to be away from the USA would be sure that the game was recorded and dispatched to them in the quickest and safest way possible. No expense is spared to execute this task*

Oh yes, and then there was something about wardrobe malfunctions... that's what I remember very clearly....

* I am referring to the olden days when the internet wasn't part of our vocabularly and there was no such thing as cable (in Australia.)

I know, I am a disgrace to my sports-mad country Down Under. I've tried to change but it's just hopeless.

claytonic, I remember sitting in the little airport in Alice Springs, waiting to see if we were going to get to fly out, because the guys who put fuel in the airplanes were on strike.

Everybody was quite happy - because we were all drinking beer and watching football on TV.

And a couple of years later my sweet boyfriend from New Zealand explained all of cricket to me, with voluminous diagrams written on bar napkins. But I think I would have to be just as drunk to understand it all again!

Australian football is amazing!!!!! I think one gets an extra two points if one actually puts an eye out!!!!

And I adore the guy in the long white duster who seemingly does nothing but raise his arms up if a goal is scored!!!

For some reason, the serious demeanor and deliberation always makes me think of Leon Redbone. I have no idea why.

Heeeee......you remember a wardrobe malfunction.....I have watched a lot of super bowl "music" (like Whitney lip-syncing the national anthem) but the song that I remember the most was sung by an Australian group, tattooed and studded, singing all the verses to Waltzing Matilda, very slowly and deliberately, at some Australian sporting event. Stopped me in my tracks.

A couple of weeks ago there were ads in the papers asking for groups of people to try out for the privilege of dancing at half-time for Bruce Springsteen. The ads said to not expect to see any football, one would be pretty much sequestered in a tent in the parking lot, shuttled in to the stadium to dance, then whisked right back out again.

And all the local news stations started the 6 am news today with reporters standing in the dark, outside the stadium, talking about something or other. Usually it is only the wisp of projected hurricane news that gets the reporters out and about this early.

djs, before anyone gets Tony Dungi, I wish the Packers would consider him along with all new management. The Pack made a HUGE mistake when they didn't hire Tony when they had the chance. I remember he was a little hurt that he wasn't chosen. He is a class act all around.