#48: He is...therefore I fan.

Couch Tomato

New Thread Title Poll  

56 members have voted

1. 1. What say ye - what's our new thread title?

• I don't ever have a day so gloomy that Clay's smile doesn't make me happy
    • At the end of the day, who cares? Clay is hot. He?d be hotter naked. ?nuff said
    • Ladies and gentleman, the 49th president of the United States and American Idol runner-up, Clay Aiken!
    • FrstlgrglooMmflsgoolce! :heart: scruffy Clay!
    • The Clay Aiken fandom....it's just fun!
    • I am a fan of the man...pure and simple!

They can sing in the studio where there are all kinds of gadgets to make them sound oh,so fantastic but put them on a stage and there ain't one good voice between the three of them.However, when you've got great promotion and constantly screaming fans, who knows if they are singing or not. I remember an interview one time with the beatles where they admitted that at one venue they didn't sing one of their songs, just moved their mouths. The screaming was so loud, no one even noticed.( I liked the Beatles, by the way)

But so goes a lot of the music stars of today. The Jonas Brothers together with Stevie Wonder.......ahhh, not sure about that combination....seems off to me. Just my two cents folks. I'm not watching the Grammies for no particular reason but maybe they could have a show sometime with artists actually singing words you can make out with music that doesn't rupture your eardrums.I had read somewhere that this Grammy show was going to be unique because they were doing it differently..........how'd they do?....did they achieve their goal?

By the way :loveclaysbutt:

I just feel the need to say this while these particular acts are on stage - I don't get rap. :huh-bwah:

Couchie, I'm in HOTlanta! At my annual professional association conference...Had a full day of workshops, then went to an English pub (waves to merrieee) and came back to the hotel room to check out the internet and catch the Grammies.

Coldplay is fine...sort of blah for me, but not objectionable. My younger daughter LOVES The Jonas Brothers and I've seen them before when they sounded better to my ears, but I just didn't think they sounded as good tonight.

Okay...who's the very pregnant woman rapping as an intro to Kanye West? And what the HELL is she wearing? :huh: Wait, I guess she's not just an intro...she's still there...and now Lil Wayne has joined the crew...?

Well, obviously, if Clay WERE to be a part of this show, he'd be right after this act. :cryingwlaughter:

WAIT! It's not Clay! It's Sir Paul singing "And I Saw Her Standing There"...he shore looks good for an old man. Heh...that long-haired drummer doesn't look a thing like Ringo! :cryingwlaughter:

Watching the grammies. I started a thread at CV in the Student Lounge but interested in your thoughts. So far, no water cooler moments for me. The venue looks huge and most groups sound like they are performing in an aircraft hanger.

I am thriled that Allison Krauss and Robert Plant are getting recognized for their beautiful work. Might I hope they get Album of the Year.

If anyone is curious about the song that won Record of the Year, here is a link:

http://video.aol.com/video-detail/robert-p...etter/715626922

Paul looks amazing but didn't sound that robust.

If Sir Paul can sing at the grammies then there is no reason why Clay couldn't sing . Well, yeah there's the whole Beatle thingy and the Sir thingy and the clout thingy...but other than that....shouldn't be anything to hold him back, other than the Clive thingy.

What can I say, it sounded right in my head !!! :lilredani:

If Sir Paul can sing at the grammies then there is no reason why Clay couldn't sing . Well, yeah there's the whole Beatle thingy and the Sir thingy and the clout thingy...but other than that....shouldn't be anything to hold him back, other than the Clive thingy.

I think I know why Clay has not made it to many awards shows. He is too tall. Man, most of those male singers are shrimp sized even in heels.

That pregnant lady dancing was a little to much. I was praying she would not go into labor on stage, and that outfit was horrible. I also do not get Radiohead. Not my kind of music.

If Jennifer Hudson and Suagarland, who sang not rocking sounds can be on the Grammies, then Clay could be. His voice can outshine all of them.

If Jennifer Hudson and Suagarland, who sang not rocking sounds can be on the Grammies, then Clay could be. His voice can outshine all of them.

I certainly agree in theory...and at the same time, I think it's either going to take a MAJOR re-do of Clay's 'image' in the general population into someone who is 'cool' and/or a kick-ass song that makes it impossible for the idiotic powers that be to ignore THE VOX and its unique ability to reach into your soul and transport it....

I haven't caught up yet but thought I would pop in briefly to update on the fires.

So far 108 confirmed dead. Every time I turn on the TV its gone up by another 50 or so.

Many still missing.

The worst natural disaster in modern history in Australia.

The rescue services from all around the country have scrambled to help. Much of the fire fighting was done by volunteers ( the CFA- Country Firefighters Association(?).

On the TV are people who can't get into the areas where their families are, or might be, still alive .They just don't know.

There are still active fire fronts. Lightening strikes are starting more fires. Some of them have been deliberately lit. Bastards.

People are describing huge firestorms sweeping through with the gale force winds. Faster than people can drive away and coming from all sides.

If you're inclined to pray, now would be a good time.

I think I know why Clay has not made it to many awards shows. He is too tall. Man, most of those male singers are shrimp sized even in heels.

Thank you, ncgurrl, finally someone figured why Clay hasn't been performing on these award shows! Did any one know that Paul had a song out? Did anyone hear it? I don't think his album got that great critical press or sold that many, but as calurker so astutely pointed out, there is all that thingy going on.

Clay's not cool enough.

:shrug:

I think people just have these negative images of Clay Aiken in their brains (that he's dorky, he's not cool, blah blah blahdity blah) and don't want to put him on. Also, I don't think OMWH was a big enough commercial success.

ETA: Let's remove the double negative, shall we?

I think people just have these negative images of Clay Aiken in their brains (that he's dorky, he's not cool, blah blah blahdity blah) and don't want to put him on.

I honestly would include in those "people" one Clay Aiken. Now, I really don't believe that those adjectives are "negative" to me at least, but that's one of the reasons why I'm not sure Clay would be able to make it on the Grammy's. He's got the voice, but as we've seen tonight, the voice isn't what sells. Frequently, it's the song, not the singer -- and with Clay's history of what he seemingly (to me) likes to sing, that isn't going to sell him records (or get him on the Grammy's).

AT THIS TIME.

There's the key to me -- I think someday the pendulum will swing back, and he'll be considered for a Grammy, because his style of music will find a place. It may take time, but I do believe it will happen.

I also don't think he'll change his style of music just to get a Grammy. JMO.

In the meantime, I will continue to enjoy all kinds of music, and I will continue to enjoy Clay Aiken and his music. He'll sing for me for a long time.

I think people just have these negative images of Clay Aiken in their brains (that he's dorky, he's not cool, blah blah blahdity blah) and don't want to put him on.

I honestly would include in those "people" one Clay Aiken. Now, I really don't believe that those adjectives are "negative" to me at least, but that's one of the reasons why I'm not sure Clay would be able to make it on the Grammy's. He's got the voice, but as we've seen tonight, the voice isn't what sells. Frequently, it's the song, not the singer -- and with Clay's history of what he seemingly (to me) likes to sing, that isn't going to sell him records (or get him on the Grammy's).

AT THIS TIME.

There's the key to me -- I think someday the pendulum will swing back, and he'll be considered for a Grammy, because his style of music will find a place. It may take time, but I do believe it will happen.

I also don't think he'll change his style of music just to get a Grammy. JMO.

In the meantime, I will continue to enjoy all kinds of music, and I will continue to enjoy Clay Aiken and his music. He'll sing for me for a long time.

I don't know. I guess I might just be a pessimist, but I think the biggest charge leveled against Clay (that doesn't have to do with him, but his music) is that he isn't edgy or pushing the boundaries. (Personally, I think if he went out on the town drinking, carousing, lost his underpants, whatever, people would probably put him on awards shows and whatnot... Worked for Britney, didn't it?) But that would make him something he isn't, and I prefer a Clay who is who he wants to be rather than one who is what that terrifying specter of Them want him to be...

:shrug: I have no idea if I'm making any sense. Too tired. Brain fried. Could be the David Archuleta playing...

I guess I am getting old, but the Jonas Brothers, Taylor Swift, and Mylee Cyrus, and I include now Katy Perry all suck. None of these people can sing live!

Can they even sing... you know, not live?

ETA: Y'all aren't old. Well, I don't know, but I don't think so. I can't stand contemporary music myself... Maybe I'm old at heart? Mature. :D

Im the same way..I can see 30 not far in the distance, but I dont like any current music..I cant think of any current music I like anyways..occasionally Ill hear a song here and there I like but its not much...

I think people just have these negative images of Clay Aiken in their brains (that he's dorky, he's not cool, blah blah blahdity blah) and don't want to put him on. Also, I don't think OMWH was a big enough commercial success.

I dont think the grammies have anything to do with commercial success or radio play, plenty of people win who dont sell and arent on the radio..and I also think that many songs on OMWH could fit in with some of the stuff sung on the grammies..they are bought and paid for by the label anyways, and we know how that goes...

maybe someday..I never give up hope.

Oh I'm not talking about getting grammys ...I'm talking about singing on the Grammys. And with all the collaborations they like to do, and tributes, I think he'd could fit in just fine AND take folks breath away. I also beleive there are any number of songs from OMWH that he could walk up there and sing today and it would not be out of place. Frankly I think he could hold his own with any of them WITHOUT changing. This is the Grammys not the BET awards or the MTV awards.

The air is very ok in here!

During the angst of Clay coming out, I happened across this board, and found the funny, positive people on this board VERY refreshing. Thanks for being who you are.

Hey, thanks, and cool to see you posting!

I don't know. I guess I might just be a pessimist, but I think the biggest charge leveled against Clay (that doesn't have to do with him, but his music) is that he isn't edgy or pushing the boundaries. (Personally, I think if he went out on the town drinking, carousing, lost his underpants, whatever, people would probably put him on awards shows and whatnot... Worked for Britney, didn't it?) But that would make him something he isn't, and I prefer a Clay who is who he wants to be rather than one who is what that terrifying specter of Them want him to be...

:shrug: I have no idea if I'm making any sense. Too tired. Brain fried. Could be the David Archuleta playing...

Makes perfect sense to me.

eta: yup, couchie, he would fit fine, and so would his songs, IMO. Nothing at all wrong with his music.

clayzy, you're making sense to me, and I think we're saying basically the same thing. I don't want Clay to change either, I like him exactly the way he is. A lot. But he's the type of personality/singer that isn't (IMO) the type that's going to be on the Grammy's right now. I do agree with couchie that if someone would take a chance with him as a duet partner, something could very well happen (and he'd rock it with an R&B tinged duet).

I don't mean to sound pessimistic, and yet, I know I am sounding that way. Hmmmm.

Maybe I need to listen to some Clay...

This medley of the Four Tops songs reminds me of the amazing job Clay does on motown songs.

Aw Sugar Pie Honey Bunch...wow, he was so great singing that too.

Oh YES, cagney! All I could think of during that part of the show was the Motown medley from the JBT and how I wish one Clay Aiken were up on that stage singing those songs tonight!

ETA: {{{ausdon}}} My mom called me this morning and was asking if I'd heard anything about you & your family in the midst of the terrible fires. Glad you & claytonic are OK. Prayers and positive thoughts traveling down under. :hug:

snap out of it LdyJ :cryingwlaughter: Yeah you got where I was coming from .that's exactly what I mean. I guess I've always felt a good collaboration - something surprising and unexpected would open doors for Clay. And you know me..I would never change Clay...love him AS IS. A perfect example of what I mean by collaboration is Jesus is Love. That would it in anywhere as would Clay doing something similar with other artists.

By the way FCA..I'm working on my auction items list... so about now would be a good time to PM me. I'm wondering and wondering and on the fence about whether I will part with my Laurie McAdams print of Clay in the red Grease jacket.

ETA: is that Clay subtle enough for ya'll?

I do not think that will work. He is already towers over most of the other male performers on those long legs of his, just think of the jealousy if they saw the size of his other leg.

just think of the jealousy if they saw the size of his other leg.

Damned straight! (heh)....but I imagine the price of titanium would...er...rise since every male would rush to coat their own pitiful balls with 'Eau d' Aiken'.....