#49: I am a fan of the man...pure and simple!

Thread Title  

48 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title at FCA?

• I still don't have money I just go anyway!
    • I'm hooked .... like a fish.
    • I think there's always going to be something big coming when it comes to Clay.
    • Not only did he take his life back he took the power from them.
    • He is large and in charge and I love it!
    • He puts a happy face on my heart!

Good morning all. I'm still trying to figure out Twitter before I can face Facebook. This modern world is going to kill me.

Nope - it's going to keep you young enough to keep following Clay Aiken for the next 50 years or so. :Iluvclaysbutt:

All right, I confess. For years I have dreamed about Clay doing small, and I mean tiny, venues. Interacting with an audience of 300-500, not a bad seat in the house. With low ticket prices so even I could afford it. Kinda like the galas but in a more acoustic setting. Well, it's either that or my living room. He can choose.

It's not that I don't think he should be a major star and all that, it's just that my ideal concert is not being packed into a concrete floored arena with thousands of screaming fans. I really like intimate clubs.

I would love seeing Clay in those kind of venues!!

I have too much on my plate to even think about Facebook. I check my comcast personal email about once a week on average, have let gmail lie dormant for months, MySpace must have lapsed because I haven't checked in for many moons. I signed up for Twitter before Christmas, but unless there's a crisis at hand it bores me -- too much like "chat" unless there's really something hot going on. So I don't see Facebook in my future. It's a good day when I have time to post at my favorite place -- right here.

Reading the favorite TV shows .... I'm a C-Span freak, with PBS a close second on a good night. I thought the most entertaining show I watched recently was the Mark Twain Award honoring George Carlin posthumously. Wow, was that funny, and poignant at the same time. As for reality shows, I watch zero because I don't believe they are reality -- but I will watch ANTM next month for purely personal reasons. I absolutely, postively do NOT and have never watched police, detective, or forensic shows -- or cooking and home decorating shows (I'm just not all that domestic). I don't like watching movies on TV -- I prefer the theater. I watched the John Adams miniseries last year, because I do love a good miniseries. I used to watch Six Feet Under and LOVED it! My only current guilty pleasures on TV are Desperate Housewives and Brothers and Sisters on Sunday night -- the glorified soaps. Other than that I'm just a news and non-fiction junkie. I need a life. When's Clay coming around?

Now, I have to say that it would be glorious to see Clay in a small, intimate venue. I would have said six months ago that small venues usually are quite expensive for name acts, but this economy is turning things around. Next door at the House of Blues, just three months ago the tickets were running from $85 - $200 for a reserved seat. Now I see that most of the shows are selling at $22 - $55. This economy has brought ticket prices down dramatically. I'll betcha the Rolling Stones will never again get $300 for a regular ticket -- but then they never got it from me anyway. I saw them in 1971 and 1978, and I think we paid $8 and $15 a seat, respectively. I remember paying $6 for Jimi Hendrix in 1969, and getting a floor seat for Led Zeppelin in 1970 for $6.50. Maybe that's coming back? There has to be a silver lining to this damned depression!

This economy has brought ticket prices down dramatically. I'll betcha the Rolling Stones will never again get $300 for a regular ticket -- but then they never got it from me anyway.

Someone should tell that to Elton John/Billy Joel. Seats for their joint tour at the ACC in Toronto are still $250 a pop on the floor. Eeep.

Eric Clapton and Steve Winwood in Oakland June 29---tickets from $63-$143 each plus any fees on ticketmaster. I'd LOVE to do this with my hubby for combo Father's Day/my birthday present...but the idea of paying $300 for decent seats in this HUGE arena makes me shudder.

Never mind what I've paid for Spam tickets...

just never mind. :unsure:

Eric Clapton and Steve Winwood in Oakland June 29---tickets from $63-$143 each plus any fees on ticketmaster. I'd LOVE to do this with my hubby for combo Father's Day/my birthday present...but the idea of paying $300 for decent seats in this HUGE arena makes me shudder.

Playing together? Wow, they should get Ginger Baker to join them and call it a Blind Faith Reunion Tour. I'd pay the price for that. A little Sea of Joy, or Can't Find My Way Home would do me good!

Priorities.

Anybody ever heard of this guy: Josh Hoge

I saw Josh a few months ago when he was playing the same bill with Ernie Halter (remember Clay's first acoustic guitarist/male backup?) at a local club here in Orlando. Both of them tour relentlessly in small venues, playing a 45-minute set in a night's lineup of artists. They sell CDs, t-shirts and other merchandise, sometimes with the help of a local fan running the booth. Jason Mraz started the same way, hit the big time and played bigger venues, then dropped back to smaller shows before he caught a second gold ring with his latest album and Grammy-nominated platinum single.

It's a challenging life, always on the road or in the air, living out of a suitcase. These guys don't have tour buses and they usually travel alone, packing their guitars, amps and loop machines. They can't be earning much from the venues with an average cover of $10 shared among performers and the house. Not to mention, half their audience is drunk and getting drunker, not always with happy results.

I wouldn't wish this life on Clay, who has a family to think of. I don't think he'd like it much-- he seems to be a social creature who wants people around him on the road, and who enjoys the teamwork it takes to put on a full concert. I can't see him doing more than a two or three month tour, and I wouldn't be surprised if he figured out a way, again, to stay in one place and have us come to him. At least until Parker is old enough to go on the tour bus...

BTW, I enjoyed both Josh and Ernie, and I buy every CD that Ernie puts out. Got them all autographed so far, too!

Playing together? Wow, they should get Ginger Baker to join them and call it a Blind Faith Reunion Tour. I'd pay the price for that. A little Sea of Joy, or Can't Find My Way Home would do me good!

Yeah, keepingfaith...sounds like a little bit of heaven, doesn't it? I think I'm gonna havta just check out what kinds of seats we could get IF I were to think of actually....you know, buying tickets.....

Had to stop at Walgreens on the the way home from work and what do I hear while I am standing in line...Without You by Clay Aiken...put a big smile on my face; that and the woman behind me was humming along!

Kim

http://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai=C2_...creenvision.com

Stevie Wonder's concert will be at the movies!! I could afford this one (maybe :) )

I always feel so alone here :( I love arenas. Love the excitement from the crowd and how the performers on stage react to it.

Well, perhaps I should have noted above that I adore big arena concerts. Paul McCartney comes to mind for both his 2002 and 2005 concerts (still choking back tears thinking of Scarlett's expensive, upfront ticket eternally unused .... OH THE HORROR!) ... and not to mention the Venus & Mars a/k/a Wings Over America tour, which was magnificent. An arena is just-right with top sound equipement, and Macca has excellent sound equipment. During the 2005 encore when he went from Helter Skelter to Please Please Me ... well I was 15 again and crazy with music in my body.

What I really don't enjoy, and gave up on a looooong time ago are stadium concerts. I passed up Pink Floyd one year because it was at Rice Stadium. I had free tickets to the Rolling Stones at the Astrodome in 1981, and I left very early because the sound sucked. Hated it! I need live music to get under my skin and pound its rhythm into my bones, and stadium sound doesn't Tecate my body. But a Clay Aiken concert anywhere fulfills all my musical needs, and whatever the venue .... a soccer field, a fine concert hall, a hot, spooky old barn in Oklahoma ... no matter if I can fill my eyes and ears with Clay Aiken. Where is Clay???

I'm feeling like the old Mott the Hoople at the end of All the Young Dudes:

Hey you there with the glasses

I want you

I want you at the front

Now, you, all his friends, bring him down

Cause I want him

I want him right here

Bring him, here you go

I've wanted to do this for years

I got a job! whoohoo!

I interviewed with a family yesterday, and they called me today and told me they pretty much decided right after I left..so apparently they made me sweat until they called me today :)

Oh, Smitten!!! What wonderful news--congratulations!! :clap:

(RIFAN--AKA srifan and Rhode Island Fan)

aikim,

It just made my day to know that "Without You" was played in Walgreens.

BYW--Clay has had 8 spins over at yes.com today.

aikim,

It just made my day to know that "Without You" was played in Walgreens.

BYW--Clay has had 8 spins over at yes.com today.

Made my day too! They don't play Clay very much around here; so when I do hear him it brings a big smile to my face. I remember hearing him at Wal-Mart and just walking around the store until the song was over with a big goofy grin on my face!

Kim

This talk about spins made me think about the Tuesday sales numbers on HDD, so I checked for the first time since last May ..... and things are tough out there. This week Taylor Swift is #1 with sales of 74,635; #2 is Lamb of God with 62,528; and #3 is the new Jonas Bros. movie soundtrack with 53,465. I wonder how the labels will recoup money from anyone at this rate. You can break the Top 50 now with fewer than 12,000 units sold. Unbelievable.

This talk about spins made me think about the Tuesday sales numbers on HDD, so I checked for the first time since last May ..... and things are tough out there. This week Taylor Swift is #1 with sales of 74,635; #2 is Lamb of God with 62,528; and #3 is the new Jonas Bros. movie soundtrack with 53,465. I wonder how the labels will recoup money from anyone at this rate. You can break the Top 50 now with fewer than 12,000 units sold. Unbelievable.

I guess Clay's number's don't look too bad now.

Kim

I wish I could hear Clay in my CVS here... after the CFC last October, that's the only place I go -- because he asked! (Doesn't hurt that there's one right close to my place...)

I need to print flight manifests in Cyrillic. Does anyone know what this looks like in Russian?

:Iluvclaysbutt:

Congratulations again Smitten.

And too bad that when they talk about Clay's numbers in the media they don't say how well he has done compared to many other sellers today. Yes, Taylor Swift has sold a lot with her cd, but she's everywhere. Unlike Clay who got weak promotion and basically did it alone.

Can't wait to see what's coming because I do really think the best is yet to come. He's free now, in so many ways, and he has so much talent that I feel really good right now. Well, at least about him. I still feel like crap. Will this stomach flu never leave.

I heard OMWH at Lowes Food store yesterday. It was kind of funny as I was listening to what was played before him and I thought, "Who listens to this junk". Right after that I heard Clay and thought to myself "whoops!!" I don't think I said it outloud. :o