Facebook - Help!!!!

FearofH2O

This thread is for anyone new to Facebook, such as myself, or anyone who has some great ideas for putting on your page.

My one way of finding people I know is to get them from friend's pages and invite them to be my friend. I found Clay's fan site from a friend and became a fan over there.

Good idea for a thread, Fear.

One thing I haven't figured out, partly due to time constraints - how do I participate in the notes when friends "tag" me? I'd like to fill them out for myself, post to my page, and tag others, but I haven't quite figured that out!

Another good way to find friends is through your work and education history. Since we moved from CA to OH when I was in junior high, I still have friends, and people I wonder what happened with, from my early school days. I've actually reconnected with several in the last few months on FB. :)

Bringing this link over because it explains so much:

Facebook Privacty Settings

I thought the first tip, about making sub-groups of your friend list, was the greatest thing! And once I did that, I was able to go into the individual privacy setting of all the different things (profile, personal info, picture albums, applications, etc) and set them accordingly. Now I won't feel weird adding work people as friends! :P

One thing I haven't figured out, partly due to time constraints - how do I participate in the notes when friends "tag" me? I'd like to fill them out for myself, post to my page, and tag others, but I haven't quite figured that out!

me neither!! There are 2 I want to do.

OK I'm sorry if I don't send folks back lucky bucks or flowers... that is totally something that isn't for me and it always gives this warning - forget the exact wording of the warning at the moment. I don't want to be rude but what happens when you ignore that little bit of facebook.

I haven't checked out groups..what does it mean to join a fan club or group on Facebook. I haven't done that yet.

What I love about Facebook is that I'm able to keep in closer touch with my family that lives in different locations. I love it.

If something has fallen off the front page of your news feed...is there a way to find it?

I can't access it from work, but right at the top of your profile page (wall) under your name, etc, are tabs. There should be a plus sign on the right of those tabs, if you click it you can add "Notes".

OK I'm sorry if I don't send folks back lucky bucks or flowers... that is totally something that isn't for me and it always gives this warning - forget the exact wording of the warning at the moment. I don't want to be rude but what happens when you ignore that little bit of facebook.

It says something about your information being shared. You can control this in the privacy settings under Applications. You can tell it what to share and what not to share, but you have to do it for each individual application that you've clicked on.

Another good way to find friends is through your work and education history. Since we moved from CA to OH when I was in junior high, I still have friends, and people I wonder what happened with, from my early school days. I've actually reconnected with several in the last few months on FB. :)

Hey Facebook Friends!!! :D

Anna - Here's what you do when someone tags you and you want to play along.

If the activity is a "Note" click on the title of the note on your home page, read and add comments if you want.

To respond return to your Home page and click Notes over on the right side near the top under Applications. This will bring up all the notes you've been tagged in. Copy whatever you need to and then click "Write a New Note" at the top right(ish). Title and type your note.

To Tag people there's a little box on the top right side of the note window that says "Tag people in this note - type any name" - when you begin to type, it gives you an auto fill in of your friends' names.

Just keep going until you have the names you want filled in.

Click the publish button at the bottom. Or the Save Draft if you aren't finished.

When you come back the Edit button is at the top of the Draft.

When you hit the publish button you get an option for short or long. Pick one. :)

You can always delete it from your profile page and try again, it is still saved in your notes section.

Fear - Thanks for adding this section! This is a great idea! (Tell me your name and I'll add you as a friend!)

lucky - thanks for the info on groups - I think I might want to do that - it's getting too confusing!

To participate in the "Notes" (the lists and things you're tagged in):

1. Once you're signed in, from your Home page (which you'll likely be on at this point), scroll down to reach one of your friends notes that you've been "tagged" in.

2. Click on the title of their note, which will appear in blue (indicating a link), or on the phrase which says "continue reading" underneath that. This will display the whole note on their page for you.

3. To respond.....highlght the whole note, right click and "copy" just as you would any other item online.

4. Click on "Profile" above your friends name in the dark blue bar at the top of the screen (currently, you're on his/her profile; this will take you to your own).

5. Below the dark blue bar, you'll see you're now on a page which is multi-tabbed, at the top. The tab you'll be on is called "Wall". Click on the tab which says "Notes".

6. To the top right, in a grey bar, you will see "+write a new note". Click on it.

7. You'll get a page which has a "Title" blank, and a "Body" blank. Create your title, and in the body, right click to "paste" the note you copied previously. Most of the notes ask you to then delete the prior person's information and put in your own.

8. To the top right of the same screen, you'll see a bolded phrase which says "Tag people in this note"; simply type the beginning of anyone's name from your Friends List in the box, and then click on them when Facebook brings the name up in the list.

9. Once you've completed your note, scroll down and you'll see you have numerous options, from adding pictures (click on Browse to upload from your computer), importing one from your FB (just click on the album picture), amending privacy for the note, previewing and saving drafts.

10. When you're happy with it...click Publish!

11. If you "Preview" your note, the "Publish" button will move to the top right of the Preview screen.

12. After you click "Publish" you'll get a popup which asks you to identify whether you want "Full", "short", or "one line". This just identifies what will appear on yours and your friends pages once you publish. I think most choose "short" but it's not a big deal!

Click "Publish" once you've made that choice, and you're good!

In my notes on FB, I've created a sample that you can play with, and tagged anyone in this thread that said they wanted to know.

Have fun!

ETA: Well, I think we have that covered! :cryingwlaughter:

5. Below the dark blue bar, you'll see you're now on a page which is multi-tabbed, at the top. The tab you'll be on is called "Wall". Click on the tab which says "Notes".

I don't have a notes tab. Why don't I have a notes tab? I did find it down on the bottom left with some other icons.

I look at Facebook and it's just so overwhelming, with all this stuff going on all over the place. I guess that's the whole idea. But I just end up closing the window.

I mean, do I really need to see my neighbor with no pants on?

These are questions, or I'm trying to get a sense of why people get into this....

Edited because it might sound like I'm being critical of people who enjoy Facebook--I'm not. Just expressing curiosity. And trying to get over seeing my neighbor with no pants on.

If you dont' have a Notes tab, do you have a plus sign? You should be able to add a Notes tab with it.

I can't answer your other questions....I like to keep in touch with people, and sometimes it's fun to read what people have been up to. It's up to you how much to choose to share or not share.

I do have a plus sign, but it says "browse for new applications to add." I tried to find notes and gave up after awhile. It's OK, because I can access through the icon at the bottom. Others might not have it either, so it might be helpful for the instructions to know that not everyone does.

I see what you are saying, luckiest. I guess you just have to feel comfortable there first. Some people obviously do from the beginning and just jump right in, but I feel very shy about it. I did go edit the privacy settings as you suggested, and that helped. But I could've sworn I did that before, but obviously I had not, or hadn't covered all the bases.

My neighbor has tons and tons of friends, and he and his wife post all day long. With photos to illustrate.

I also appreciate the answers about applications. I went and deleted a lot of them that I had accepted, since I had regretted doing so. If you go to "applications" and click the x at the right, you can delete all but certain basic Facebook applications, and for those you can change the settings. Link: Applications page.

I just read an article this am about an increasing number of Facebook problems--false invitations and viruses and so on. Found it: Facebook users suffer viral surge.

Fear, when I asked for an add from you, I also connected you with other FCAers in my friend's list.

Do y'all want to see me with no pants on? Just kidding.

I'm surprising myself that I'm really enjoying Facebook. I don't participate in "chat" type activities on other boards, I'm not an IM type person, and I don't have huge random email correspondences with friends and acquaintances, so I didn't expect to really "get into" Facebook.

However, this seems different. I'm enjoying hearing about real life activities...trips...movie or book recommendations.....important family events....& I like the pictures.

It's put me in touch with a cousin and former colleagues, and I'm enjoying that.

It's a cool way for my DD & I to stay in touch regularly during her pregnancy.

This may sound strange, but it lets me be "reactive"....which is relaxing. I'm not the type to send out random emails to people saying..."Hey! How are you? Haven't heard from you in a while!" However, on FB, when annabear posted pics of her new puppy, I could comment right away, as an example. Congratulations...sympathies...the opportunity to comment is right there all gathered in one place.

I don't update my status much...last one was to say that after nearly 2 years, my DIL's Green Card application was finally approved. That was big news in our family.

I don't do many of the quizzes...it's a time discipline thing on my part.

I don't do the gifties either.

OK....gotta work.

Have fun.

After resisting for a while, I finally signed up for Facebook about 6 months ago, and really got active in the past two months or so.

There are a few "gifties" that I accept. I'm a fan of silly cat pictures, so I'll accept LOLcats. And then, I have a nice little corkboard of "flair" -- buttons of good sayings and people I like. You can't really tell that I'm a Clay fan from my flair board at all. *g*

I agree with Perma, it's a good way to stay in touch with people without having to do TOO much work. I love sending emails, but I find, with "one stop shopping" I can find out what my niece in Guatemala is doing as well as couchie in San Francisco, just with a quick glance.

ldyjocelyn me too! I have almost an entire flair board filled up with Clay Aiken flair! I kind of wish there were actual buttons that I could attach to things like my bookbag.

I never thought I'd like F-book either. I never used to do much "networking" on the internet, no MySpace or anything like that. But all my friends were on it when I started going to school, so I decided to get an account. It's a magnificent time-waster... Unfortunately! :laugh2:

We should totally start a little FCA group! That would be kind of fun!

I think I have some pretty stringent privacy settings on my account, but if anyone wouldn't mind being F-book friends with me, shoot me a PM and I'll add you! :)

One of the things I like to do using both Facebook and so many other sites is "share" articles. For example, if I find an article on CNN that I would like other to read....

...look at the bottom of the article on the CNN site. There's probably a link to "share" and it will give you MANY options. One of them is usually Facebook. All you have to do is click on that link (sometimes it has the FB logo), and it will take you to Facebook. At this point you can eithe post it to your profile (which is what I usually do), or you can send it to your friends.

Many, many websites have this ability now. They realize the traffic Facebook gets.

I do have a plus sign, but it says "browse for new applications to add." I tried to find notes and gave up after awhile. It's OK, because I can access through the icon at the bottom. Others might not have it either, so it might be helpful for the instructions to know that not everyone does.

below the plus sign, there is an arrow down and if you click on it it says "write a note"

in order to tag people you have to write their name yourself, I dont think you can just click on them, that would sure make it easier cause I cant think of names all the time lol

If I have you on facebook and you send me a gift I generally dont accept them, so dont take it personally...its to much work, go through different pages and I dont have that kind of focus lol one time I put on my status that I cleared all my gifts so not to take it personally...Im not sure how many FCA friends I have, I think 3 maybe? if you want to find me you can pm me for my name and add me, just tell me your screename and that your from here cause I like to know that I know the person at least through clay or real life.

Still loving Facebook... haven't had much time the last couple of days.

Last night I found 2 former co-workers... and saw their lists and saw a bunch more...but I didn't add them. hee.

I've never been one to "chat" but am an IM person so I'm comfortable with this. I'm reluctant to participate in an FCA outpost group because I do my Clay socializing here. What I enjoy about Facebook is learning the other side of people.

I did join one The Wire Group because I'm gonna watch it on DVD..starting from season 1.

Bringing this link over because it explains so much:

Facebook Privacty Settings

I thought the first tip, about making sub-groups of your friend list, was the greatest thing! And once I did that, I was able to go into the individual privacy setting of all the different things (profile, personal info, picture albums, applications, etc) and set them accordingly. Now I won't feel weird adding work people as friends! :P

Haven't tried this yet but I'll say thanks in advance because this sounds like it will work for me! I have a couple of "non-clayfans" on my facebook page and was wondering about making 2 separate Facebook pages. I'll look at this tonight.

Is there somewhere where we can post names of people wanting to be our friends when we don't recognize the name and say, "______ __________" wants to be my friend. Is it one of you guys?"

I just got another request last night and don't recognize the name. Last name is the same as mine if that helps?

Since a number of my FB friends are members here, I wanted to warn you that you may have unwelcome guests in your system if you try a number of the "applications" available. I had a major problem on my hard drive for about 10 days, which was resolved this weekend.

As it turns out, my techie godson (who custom built my hard drive) warned me that there are lots of viruses in those fun applications, so I won't be accepting any of them from you! Sorry, but after unhooking the machine and driving back and forth across the city in pouring rain on Saturday, I don't want to take the risk again.

In addition to the "little" viruses he cleaned up, there was also a nasty Trojan virus attached to a main part of my operating system, that's now thankfully gone. No idea where it came from, but last week CNN was reporting that there's a FB worm out there too.

BTW, I did have Norton running on the system when all this happened and have now upgraded to a different program, Kaspersky.