#58: The man is made of awesome!

Thread Title  

35 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title at FCA?

• Clay Aiken can still curl my toes
    • Clay Aiken = happy sigh
    • I'm a satisfied Clay fan
    • He's still beautiful, sings beautifully and he's still OURS
    • He's made of awesome wrapped in fabulous with a little more awesome sprinkled on top!!
    • Forget life -- It's Clay time!

Got my Hammond tickets today...so pretty...been a long time since I've seen a Clay Aiken ticket, LOL!

Also...Clay is going to be in the studio for the PBS Special...so we get to see him during pledge breaks...I am so excited! I will try and post as much as I can and take notes!

Kim

I think Clay goes all out emotionally in this song. It's as if this was the question he's always asked himself. His voice is not so pure and has some vibrato in it to further emphasize his emotions.

I loved his phrasing in this song. Among my favorites: "what kind of lips are these" and "live my life".

The saxophone solo, to me, represents the plantive cry of the lonely man.

Although not my absolute favorite, I want to get up and dance cheek to cheek when I hear it..

ETA: lucky ducky aikim. We'll have to live through you.

ETAA: What Kind of Fool Am I

I think Clay goes all out emotionally in this song. It's as if this was the question he's always asked himself. His voice is not so pure and has some vibrato in it to further emphasize his emotions.

I loved his phrasing in this song. Among my favorites: "what kind of lips are these" and "live my life".

The saxophone solo, to me, represents the plantive cry of the lonely man.

Although not my absolute favorite, I want to get up and dance cheek to cheek when I hear it..

ETA: lucky ducky aikim. We'll have to live through you.

which song is it?

Got my Hammond tickets today...so pretty...been a long time since I've seen a Clay Aiken ticket, LOL!

Also...Clay is going to be in the studio for the PBS Special...so we get to see him during pledge breaks...I am so excited! I will try and post as much as I can and take notes!

Kim

Looking forward to seeing what a clay aiken concert tickets looks lol!!! :cryingwlaughter: will see in August, travel buddy has the tickets!

Kim

Looking forward to seeing what a clay aiken concert tickets looks lol!!! :cryingwlaughter: will see in August, travel buddy has the tickets!

I am so behind. Behind in the song discussions which I LOVE, haven't listened to the new interviews, hoping I can stay awake for Chelsey Lately, who I think is pretty amusing most of the time. Too much Clay to keep up with. Well, not that there can be too much Clay....

Better late than never..... CTMEOY (I so want to type CTMYOY. Can't bring myself to put in 2 O's. Why doesn't the word 'eyes' start with a 'y'? Actually, I suppose it should start with an 'i', but that's not what is interesting about this song.)

As others have said, I was less than thrilled when I heard that this song was on the track list. I like the song well enough, bought the single as a kid (back in the days of vinly 45s), and played it to death. I didn't think I'd want to ever hear it again, not even for Clay. When I heard the snippets, and even when the track was available before the CD came out, I still just gave it a shoulder shrug. (Cagney, remembering that day we hid in the far corner of Borders surreptitiously listening to clips).

But every time I hear it now, I love it more. It is, as KAndre said, so Clay. Perfect for his voice and style. I get the same feeling when I hear it that I got on Billy Joel night on AI when Clay sang Tell Her About It. It started a little sleepy and I thought.... "Oh, no, not another ballad. Come on, Clay." And sure enough, he moved to the chorus (I think that's where it was), whipped out that big voice, and caused me to stand up in my family room and clap (no witnesses, fortunately). It was one of my favorite Clay AI moments. That's how I feel when Clay gets to the first "I love you, baby." Makes me want to clap, even when I'm driving.

Cagney.... The Beach Boys? Oy. Talk about a group of whiners (in sound, not personality or song themes).

Thinking how much I appreciate that there is no longer an edit counter at FCA. I am not owning up to how many errors I found when I proofread. There are probably still some.

If any of you are friends of mine on Facebook, could you please go over and make a comment about my latest link? You'll probably figure out why I'm asking this as soon as you see. (Husband of best friend from college is being a jerk. No, more than a jerk. This is time number 2 for this kind of thing. I think it's time to unfriend him.

I couldn't find it. Do I have to go to your wall?

Yeah, it should be on my wall. It's a link to the CNN interview.

This probably my first "attack" on my Clay fandom, and it's pissing me off!

*deep breaths*

I think I'll watch the CNN interview again.

Yeah, it should be on my wall. It's a link to the CNN interview.

This probably my first "attack" on my Clay fandom, and it's pissing me off!

*deep breaths*

I think I'll watch the CNN interview again.

There is a delete button on comments. Just sayin'

You can watch the video online:

http://www.eonline.c.../shows/chelsea/

Clay was in good form! Talks more about Parker & Jaymes than we've ever heard. He plays along with the whole "everyone knew I was gay" thing, is charming and funny and likes that the audience laughs at all his jokes. cryingwlaughter.gif

ETA: The download includes stuff that isn't on the website, like Clay playing Connect 4 in the green room. Heh. And I suspect that I wouldn't like this show if Clay wasn't on it, but Chelsea did seem impressed with our guy, and seemed sincere when she said she liked what she saw (Clay in the flesh). :) It was also great promo for the tour with Ruben. Too bad Ruben nixed the Sonny&Cher costumes! BWAH.

:GM_FCA:

I thought the Chelsea show went very well; the Clay segment at least...could without the rest of the show. He looked good and held his own with her and she was very respectful..I liked it. Oh and Clay was the one who nixed the Sonny and Cher outfits...said it would be redundant for him to dress as Cher, LOL.

3 Days until The PBS Special Airs in Chicago!:yahoo:

12 Days until Clay is Bringing Broadway Home To NC!:yahoo:

30 Days until He is Addressing The Key Club Convention!:yahoo:

45 Days until The Timeless Tour Begins!:09:

Happy Birthday to all celebrating!

Everyone have a great day!

Kim

The fans in general may be all over Clay's CNN online interview, but I think it's a no-brainer that doing Chelsea's show will reap the real benefits to his professional image. He was fabulous last night. Her questions, which I know made some fans bristle, were the catalyst for his best moments, including my personal favorite when she mentioned the People magazine cover and his "coming out party" and he said "It was quite the party" with his "make the sandwich" face. It was funny and endearing and the audience reacted to his muggings the same way we do. There was a lot of good information exchanged, he looked great, and they traded some cute barbs because they are both big on the sarcasm. I noticed not only did they hug at the end, but she kissed him on the cheek at the beginning. The more Clay can integrate his persona into the zeitgeist the better. Chelsea Lately provided another opportunity for that, and Clay was his lovable, charming, intelligent self. Nothing but a big win for him. And Chuy was cute with Clay at the beginning, too.

Her show is usually way more profane than it was last night. The fans who aren't down with ultra-earthy chat were fortunate that Clay was on during the days she's having her little niece visit. The roundtable segment wasn't funny, but it was 99% cleaner. One of her shows I did watch was when she had Erin and Maks from Dancing on the show and the first thing she asked was if there had been "penetration." If you're aghast at that, Eric and Maks seemed to have fun with it, and leave little doubt as to the answer to that question. Her show isn't for everyone, actually no one's show is for everyone -- not even Glee, but among her millions of fans are probably the bedrock of Clay detractors, so chipping away at that is nothing but positive and productive.

YAY for No. 9 on Billboard. I have a couple more copies to buy this week, and it will be the regular CD because from the NJU's I've checked on, all the favorites are in the core 11 songs, and not so much Sorry and Breaking Up. So I'll buy the stripped down model of T&T this week. One person I gifted with a Deluxe version specifically told me that the CD should have ended with Moon River.

Quick post, as I'm at the reference desk at a different campus for me, but I'll say 3 things:

1) WOOHOO! on Clay making the Billboard top 10! I'm proud of that, and I think he'll continue to sell as time goes on and more publicity happens. Slow and steady and all that.

2) I went to bed before Chelsea last night, so I watched the download this morning. I thought it was a good interview -- liked hearing more about Parker, and the whole thing with Clay and Ruben as "Salt 'n Peppa" was funny.

3) Song of the day is:

It's Only Make Believe

Quick one here: I think my favorite part is the hand claps. Suck it, USA Today!

I did not like Chelsea Handler at first, a few years ago, but now I do love her no bullshit straight-faced way of saying things and her complete honesty about herself (she says understands she looks older than her years, according to what internet people say about her. Bwah!)

And I like how she doesn't do that "look at me I'm so outrageous that I am charmingly cute" thing that Craig Ferguson does.

Don't flame me, Ferguson is very funny, but can be a tool and a bit too elfin at times. JMO, etc.

I really enjoyed the interview, and I also enjoyed how comfortable Clay was with that interview.

She is not one to give insincere compliments.

Her guests can be a mixed bag, but the night before she had Bobby Lee and two others on, and they were hilarious. Very quick wit.

It's strange and ironic to me, reading around this morning, that Chelsea Handler is being slammed for her speaking voice, looks, personality and everything else, and called some pretty vicious names. I recall reading comments to various web stories about Clay over the years when people commented that they couldn't stand his speaking voice, accent, looks, or perceived "arrogance" and Clay's devoted fans referred to those people as "haters." It was a good interview for Clay last night and part of mending his tattered image in the media. Lashing out at people who are facilitating his rebuilding process is counter-productive. Live and let live, people. If you don't like somebody's show, don't watch it, but why tear them to shreds for having Clay on the show and saying nice things? I am repulsed by hypocrisy wherever I see it. I kind of like that Golden Rule thingy.

And I hope that Clay does go on Conan when he's back on the air this fall. And I wouldn't mind seeing him on Regis & Kelly at some point in the future. I like Chelsea Handler infinitely more than I like Kelly Ripa, but it would be removing another brick from the wall.

I'm thrilled that he made # 9 on Soundscan/Billboard. Even though his other record is gone he can still claim all his CD's have debuted in the Top Ten and that's no small feat. Here's hoping that slow and steady wins the race!!

I enjoyed the Chelsea Lately interview. It reminded me a lot of the first Kimmel interview. I don't care about her enough one way or the other to comment on her, personally - as for her in relation to Clay, my litmus test is what she says about him moving forward, after having met him. I have no problem with humour as long as she (or any of them) drop the vicious shit. Lord knows Clay indulges in a little good-natured snarkiness about himself and others.

Only Make Believe... definitely my favourite of the up-tempo songs on the CD. I swear when the intro music started at the PBS thing, I though he was gonna bust out Witchcraft (that sly, come-hither stare...) LOL!! Pretty glad that didn't happen. Conway Twitty is one of my all-time favourite singers. They didn't call him 'the best friend a song ever had' for nothing, and his Make Believe is classic. In my opinion, so is Clay's. When Without You (another long-time fav) came along, I found I couldn't listen to Nilson's version any more. With this one, I find both versions can live on my playlist and I enjoy the heck out of them for entirely different reasons. This one is the real earworm for me - I find myself singing it at random moments throughout the day.

Woudn't that be cool? ;)

OMG, the Paul McCartney presale this morning was an exercise in frustration. The email went out to fan club members that it would be Jun 9th at 10 am. So I log on bright and early at 8:30 am only to discover that it happened yesterday, unannounced. I managed to find two singles on the floor, 11 rows apart, and I was lucky to get those by the sound of things on the forums. ARGH!

Loved, just loved Clay's appearance on Chelsea Handler's show last night. I thought the treatment was kind of sweet-from the intro with her sidekick (don't know how to spell his name) to the final hug which seemed almost intimate in a gentle you-might-play-for-the-other-team-but-I-still-think-you-are-really-groovy kind of way. But more on that later. I have an overdue assignment and I am losing points by the minute.

What Kind of Fool Am I

I have loved this song for ever and probably have been most attached to the version by Sammy Davis Jr. I haven't heard his rendition for years so I searched a you tube that identified this performance on the Any Williams show as probably the closest to his recording. For those who might want to compare and contrast.

I knew that Clay's version's verses (try to say quickly five times!) were not quite the same at one point-(doesn't have the verse with damn in it) but it also doesn't have the verse: What kind of man am I, that could not see, what could be seen by almost everyone but me I wonder why he did not include that verse-talk among yourselves.

I think the beginning of Clay's version is Clay at his most haunting, beautiful voice. His opener in "Crying" is another example of breathtaking vocals. In WKOFAI, I like how the percussion picks up the pace in the second phrase. I also love how Clay sings the word "love" as "luv." Whispers empty words of luv. Heaven. When he sings like any other manright before the orchestral interlude, there is a bit of a cry in his voice. Love the clay cry.

At first I found the David Sanborn interlude intrusive but for now I kind of like it. I do feel in this song, unlike any of the other songs on the album, that the tracks were layed down on top of Clay's voice. I know this is typically done but it just seems more obvious in this song. I do think the horns at the end compete with Clay's voice a bit. But still like the energy of the song.

Clay's version is hearfelt and not as theatrical as the ones from past years that i have seen on you-tube (in all fairness, it is a showstopper from a musical)so I can see why the "damn" verse didn't quite fit.

I think I've read somewhere that the Canada appearance tomorrow is "Clay appearing from New York," which makes me think it was taped last week.

Yep...got this via getclayaiken through the CTV website:

THURSDAY

* Canada AM catches up with American Idol runner-up Clay Aiken in New York.