# 68: The Absurdly Charming Clay Aiken

ldyjocelyn

Semi on-topic:  Rickey Smith (from season two of AI) was killed in a car crash.  This makes me very sad, as I liked Rickey, he seemed so sweet.  I still love hearing the version of What the World Needs Now, that was just Clay, Ruben, and Rickey.  My prayers are with his family.

http://okcfox.com/news/local/american-idol-finalist-from-oklahoma-killed-in-wrong-way-crash?utm_content=bufferd4c23&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Definitely on topic:  The clip from this morning is up already!

http://www.foxbusiness.com/features/2016/05/06/clay-aiken-north-carolina-bathroom-law-will-backfire.html

"You are a very unattractive woman." -- BWAH! 

Word about Rickey made it to Clay:

Here's another article about Rickey, which includes Clay's tweet:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3577453/Former-American-Idol-finalist-Rickey-Smith-killed-multi-car-highway-crash-driver-arrested-influence.html

clayaikenWe were all actually supposed to look serious during this part of the #Idoltour in 2003. Rickey couldn't do it. I'm truly not sure that his face was physiologically capable of not smiling. He was ALWAYS smiling. Always. When someone passes, it's amazing how quickly people jump to say how they were "the nicest person in the world" or how they were "always happy." Those phrases get thrown around so much that they begin to lose their impact. I am here to tell you that those could not be more true for Rickey Smith! In the Idol house we all lived in together, Rickey was up at 6am every morning singing and happy. Every morning he woke me up by singing LOUDLY in the stone portico below my bedroom. He knew it woke us all up, but he couldn't stop. He was literally just so happy. I would give anything, today, to hear him sing and wake me up again. When a contestant gets cut on Idol it's a slight bit sad to see them go, but when Rickey was eliminated... EVERY ONE OF US cried. He was truly the sunlight of our season and remained a happy and beautiful person and friend beyond. I sometimes feel numbed to death and loss as it has come too much and too often in my life. Today I am not numb. I am truly heartbroken. Heartbroken for myself and my Idol friends who have lost the brightest and most joyful part of our little "family". Heartbroken for Rickey's true family: his parents and the lives of his life, Candy, Ali, and Ava, who have lost their light. And I'm heartbroken for everyone who never got a chance to know the most gentle soul I've ever known. God blessed him (and in turn blessed us all) by giving him an amazing voice that he shared so readily with us here on Earth. I'm sad today, but I know he's already singing loudly in Heaven and waking up the other angels with his joyful and beautiful voice. And I truly believe I'll get to hear it again one day. I will miss you Rickey. #rickeysmith#restinpeace

I didn't really cry yesterday over this...but Clay's tweets today have put me over the edge.

I think part of this for me too is that it seems to me (personal opinion only) that Clay's REALLY upset about this.  And that breaks me up even more.

Such sad news about Rickey.  Of course that season 2 was my absolute favorite season of Idol and I totally enjoyed going to those ai concerts. With regards to Rickey on Idol I remember his Hercules Hercules and I was one of the few that didn't like it.  But that was because I hated the movie it came from.  but he was absolutely one the people that made that season so special. RIP.  Good going Clay fans.  So happy to see the support for his family.