# 68: The Absurdly Charming Clay Aiken

ldyjocelyn

Wah I have company long time no see, not a Clay fan, and a plumber coming early early tomorrow to fix my "guest" bathroom toilet which died this afternoon, and won't be able to see the clips yet--thanks for the reports!

• Enrolled
  • 46,463 posts

Posted 12 May 2016 - 01:15 PM

Today is a good day to subscribe to #RunningMate in anticipation of tomorrow's interview: Mr. @ClayAiken --->

From a Facebook page that copied Clay's blog.   

Clay Aiken is a smart, mindful young man with a well-tuned Sarcasm-o-meter. I love the way he starts his article sedately and, as the paragraphs continue, the snark and impassioned disdain start flowing. I didn't expect him to combine this kind of evisceration with bitter humor, but I like it. I guess I just still think of him as that young guy with the voice.‪#‎TrueBlueDemocrats‬ ‪#‎EqualityNOW‬

• Like 2

I didn't get a chance to listen to the entire thing this morning before I got to work!  But I've also got a doctor's appointment mid-morning, and I can listen to it in my car.

My thoughts on what merrieeee said:  I'm thinking that time is the greatest thing in the world for him.  He's getting much better at expressing how the whole campaign went for him, and I'll bet that "The Runner-Up" helped as well.  Having said that, I can totally see Clay running again at some point.  Honestly, I thought he'd run for office in about 2020, so for him to run in 2014 just moved the timetable up!  

I'm also noticing something.  With his music career, we would get new things, sure -- but it would fit within the publicity cycle of an album or tour, which would be a few months at most.  Even with Spamalot, there wasn't much in the way of new interviews.  But this new direction means that we're getting something new almost once a week at this point!  My hope is that once the election is over, the pattern continues, by him having enough political gravitas to keep up the pundit game.

I know fans of Entertainer Clay mourn the loss, and I enjoyed all his tours immensely.  There are a LOT of good memories there, including all the friends I've met along the way.  And yet, I'm thoroughly enjoying this guy right now.  He seems to be winning over people who would have never given him the time of day when he was a singer.  He's showing that he's smart, funny and charming (ie., a great interview).  I also see a lot of "hustle" in him -- striking while the iron is hot, with this year of election (and his connections, because of Trump and his campaign in 2014).  

I'm thinking I picked a winner.

As someone who didn't "find" Clay til mid 2012, and who had the feeling he was leaving entertainment right from the start, my perspective ends up being different from most fans  I think. By 2012, he looked much as he does now, sometimes I gave problems connecting him to 24 year old Clay. His voice is amazing, the reason I fell. But my connection  with his voice has always been through recordings and clack. My only concert was the Christmas tour, which remains in the dam fog til this day. I will always have his music (and please, whatever is shared from private events!). Would I love to hear him sing more often? Of course. But I'm loving his interviews, he has a way with words and definite viewpoints. It probably helps that I agree with much of what he says. But I'm SO glad he remains in the public eye. This is the Clay I have the most personal knowledge of, hoping this works out in whatever way he wants.