#69: @clayaiken is my new favorite politician. He is so dreamy!

ldyjocelyn

I watched Clay's interview of Paula Poundstone, and the one where he talked about AI.  He did so well on both, but I think he's even better asking the questions!  He seems so comfortable.  He's always been known as someone who really looks at people when he talks to them, and it really showed in the Paula interview - always kept the focus on her and her book while taking enough time to ask really good questions.  He's getting better and better at this kind of thing.

• Like 1

I've always found it interesting that Clay is inevitably mentioned when AI comes up.  They did have the highest rated finale, though, so there's that.  Having said that, I really don't think Clay wants to go back to the show -- even if I do think he would be good.

BTW, the headline for Clay in that article?  I find the verbiage kinda weird.  Makes it sound like he "turned gay!"

I agree, ldyjocelyn.

The "gay" is always the headline for Clay.

Didn't care for the write up. Was that the best they could come up with?

..offered a contract even though he didn't win.

...gay

...political opponent died

Good grief!!  If I hadn't followed him all these years, I'd think he was just a run of the mill has been from reading that article.

I hate to think of what my life would be like if I had missed out on all of the excitement that is CLAY AIKEN!!!

He will be forever fascinating to me. That man has so much talent beyond just singing and being the "runner up" on AI2.

He still has that X factor and will be forever linked to the success that AI became.

And also, they don't really CARE about Clay the way we do!  Sadly, that's just the way of the world right now...

OTOH...I made a comment about the Salon interview yesterday (saying that I'm now really interested in Paula's book) -- and Paula Poundstone liked my comment!  Woohoo!!!

I said I was adding it to my "must read" list.  Didn't get a like.

Do you think she knew I'd be going to the library for it and not buying it--LOL!!

I've read quite a few books because of Clay--latest was "Bears in the Street" and I am on a waiting list for "Hillbllly Elegy"

Also want to read the Jackie Robinson one.  I love that last segment of BOLD where they discuss books!

I ordered "Bears in the Street" for my library, and we already had "Hillbilly Elegy."  However, Paula's book doesn't really fit with an academic library.

But I may get it from my public library.  Heh.

OTOH, my husband and I collect books written by comedians, so we may end up buying it.  The whole concept of the book sounds cool.  And my college next year, as a collective read, is doing "The Book of Joy" by His Holiness the Dalai Lama and Archbishop Desmond Tutu -- similar theme to Paula's book, but with a more serious tone.  (Still a fun book though...)

Cool article about Arsenio Hall playing in North Carolina.  

http://www.wect.com/story/35408160/hall-happy-to-be-playing-nc-for-the-first-time

Arsenio Hall's show at Wilmington's Thalian Hall on Thursday night will be his first stand-up comedy performance in North Carolina, but the veteran comedian and actor does have a connection to the state.

When Hall was on Celebrity Apprentice in 2012, he became friends with NC native Clay Aiken, who was an American Idol runner-up in 2003.

Aiken, a Raleigh native, finished as the runner-up again to Hall, who won his season of Celebrity Apprentice and raised more than $500,000 for the Magic Johnson Foundation.

During a Thursday afternoon phone interview a few hours before his Thalian Hall show, Hall spoke highly of Aiken and said he was excited about doing shows in our state.  

"My mental and visual image of North Carolina is Clay Aiken," Hall said as he was leaving Raleigh and heading for the Port City. "He's my friend and he's a good, Christian boy with a Southern accent who can sing his face off so I'll go with it. ... If there was a flag and I had to design it, it would have Clay Aiken on it."

I was just reading on CV that Jennifer Hudson is going to be one of the coaches on The Voice this fall along with Miley ,Adam , Blake. Kelly Clarkson is going to be a Coach next year in the spring so I guess that means she won't be a Judge  on Idol. 

Aww that hat was sweet what Arsenio said about Clay NC. 

ldyjocelyn - I love that thread title.  I'll never think Arsenio should have won TCA, but he's always spoken up for Clay and called him his friend. 

Jennifer Hudson has been a coach on the UK version of The Voice, so it was probably just a matter of time before she did the US one - plus she sang on one episode a couple of years ago.  Kelly did some mentoring on The Voice for Blake a few seasons ago, so she was already part of the team.  If AI can't get Kelly, I wonder who they will consider.  If they go the way they went before - all the attention on the coaches (like The Voice does), then it won't do any better than the last season of AI on Fox.  There have been so many competition shows on TV since AI first aired, it just doesn't have the same amount of interest.  One thing I liked about AI compared to the Voice is that, once they had their top 10 or 12, they only eliminated 1 person each week - sometimes on The Voice, half of a team goes at once.  Keeping the contestants on for longer and showcasing them more made it more likely to create stars, especially in the first few seasons.  The kids did those cheesy Ford commercials and they showed some interviews and things like that - the audience really got to know more about the contestants and were then likely to vote for them. 

• Like 1

One of the things I've thought that is a key difference between The Voice and AI -- no damn theme shows!  I've always thought that hampered several of the AI contestants.  I do agree that The Voice does do their own version of "the red Wedding" (Game of Thrones reference); next week is one of those week, with half of the contestants leaving.  I'm not crazy about that.  But I have to admit that I like the judges much better on The Voice.  I think they all support their team members long after the show is over.  Yes, it may not be superstar making, but I think many  more of the contestants on The Voice still have careers in music.

I'll change the thread sometime tomorrow, probably in the late afternoon...

A rather contentious panel today. They kept going off topic, and Clay could not get them under control.  He also got caught up in the debate. May have dropped the F word, lol.

Carrie made reference to Clsymates always agreeing with Clay.