#27: Ya' gotta give me somethin', honey!

Couch Tomato

What should the next thread title be at FCA?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. What should the next thread title be at FCA?

• Clay Aiken Deftly Acts Supremely Silly
    • He goes sweetly and deftly Medieval on Broadway.
    • What is it about Clay? Damned if I know.
    • Good Lord, is that man cute.
    • Sir Aiken - a triumph in SPAMalot!
    • He's a triumph in the show.
    • The man's a joy magnet!
    • Reach into that golden grab bag!
    • His smile just lights up everything.

Sounds to me like Clay and Co. have a plan and May 6th is his target date. I hope, for his sake, that he meets his goal with that because it would be a great time for him to be on TV promoting a new CD. It's sweeps month and there is lots going on in May!

As for Mother's Day sales, mothers come in all ages so I can definitely see it being a holiday where CD sales are up considerably. Just like birthdays, people give CDs for gifts all of the time so why not Mother's Day?

I don't hold my breath when it comes to Clay and when his CDs are released. Whenever it happens, I'll buy and I do buy for friends who like him and may not rush out and buy his CD. It's my way of supporting him and gifting friends. They always appreciate my gesture. This CD is supposed to be all originals so I'm definitely giving out a few. My friends have been waiting to hear him sing some new music as we all have.

anybody curious how he will incorporate the last five years into his songs. For some stupid reason I keep thinking of that song..I always feel like, somebody's watching me... what sort of themes do you think he will explore? It's fun to think about.

Couch Tomato said:

I always feel like, somebody's watching me...

OMG, that was the funniest video!

just another stalker day

You are right, and it would be priceless if Clay re-did this as a spoof!

CD release date - I guess I want definitive proof Mother's Day doesn't cause an increase in sales. But on the other hand, who cares? People don't need to justify being happy OR angsty OR negative for another's satisfaction. They just ARE (tm Paula).

Promotion? I am surprised at how many people have mentioned Clay and Spamalot to me, he got lots of publicity for that on the entertainment shows. Heeee....even when I am not working, I never ever watch any of the morning shows, neither do I watch late night, unless Clay will be on, so those promotional thingies are wasted on me. Buble's Starbucks commercial seemed to have worked for him. Although he looked like a chubby waiter to me, and I don't like him enough to buy his CD.

I am thrilled Clay mentioned a date, I don't care if it gets changed, I can adjust. I learned a long time ago not to think he was giving painfully exact details in an interview - even mentioning that songs are all recorded will cause some people to call all the possible recording studios, and then cross-check producers' airline travel and hotel stays with that, just so they can get a head start on whining and complaining and declaring they will not buy the CD. Distributors will be harried, RCA folks will be bugged, just to get an "in" - presumably this happens for other artists, too. Feh.

In fact, I would not be surprised if some fans come up with their own version of what his PR should be like, and then spend the whole time complaining angily about RCA and Team Clay when it is not followed. Part of the process now, and now that it is predictable, kinda funny. Pavlovian, almost - the angst and negativity. Maybe it is a protective stance, though.

Pavlovian - has anyone else seen Eddie Izzard's bit on Pavlov and cats? By the end of the experiment, the cat has trained Pavlov. Last Sunday was Izzard Blizzard day on BBCA, and I got to re-watch four of Eddie's shows. A 29 y.o. friend was watching with me, she had never really watched his comedy before, and she was laughing hysterically along with me, it was great! I really want the boxed set of all his shows, and am thrilled he is shaking down a new tour in New York in March (I think). That would be my perfect weekend, Spamalot and Eddie Izzard! Eddie was, and is, a big passion of mine, years ago I paid extra to have Blackpool Video in the U.K. reformat VHS tapes so I could watch them on my VCR. Of course, now I have a DVD player that plays both formats, and of course now I can buy DVDs of his shows, but back then, I would go to Clayfan-like trouble just to get my hands on his stuff. (That's for Muski).

Anyway, I am ging to enjoy the happy happy part of anticipating the CD release! I have a feeling that radio is not going to be courted, and that this will not be the rockin' CD that some want, and that every word he utters about it will be sliced, diced, and critiqued. Part of the process!

O/T - I can't believe that Christian won the fan fave award on Project Runway instead of Chris! Especially since all the other designers thought it would be Chris, too! Sacre Bleu! Mordieu!, Corbleu!, Palsambleu!, Jarnidieu!, and Tudieu!, too!

I haven't seen any of Eddie Izzard's comedy, but I'm excited that The Riches is coming back on the air in March.

Wow, we got a great People article, Clay mentioned a possible release date, and talked about the theme.....it's all good in my book. Whether the date holds or gets pushed back a bit, no matter. New CD, baybee! But I get the sense that I'll be scrolling the boards a lot. I just don't need any more stress in my life. :cryingwlaughter:

anybody curious how he will incorporate the last five years into his songs. For some stupid reason I keep thinking of that song..I always feel like, somebody's watching me... what sort of themes do you think he will explore? It's fun to think about.

ROCKWELL! w/backing vocals by Michael Jackson

Why do I know such useless crap? But hee. I think it's perfect :cryingwlaughter:

Sacre Bleu! Mordieu!, Corbleu!, Palsambleu!, Jarnidieu!, and Tudieu!, too!

Yeah. What she said. I thought it would have been Chris too. I mean he's MY favorite! *sniff* I like Christian too ... I was just surprised.

---

May 6th? I'm so there. :lilredani:

Good Morning Everyone,

74 Days until The Last Night of Spamalot!

76 Days until The New CD!

Everyone have a great day!

Kim

For some weird reason I wasn't really all that excited last night....but I woke up all EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Its not the May 6 date at all...its the fact that the CD promo is starting!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This was not a CD mention piggy backing on a Spamalot promo...this was an article that was made for the purpose of announcing his CD!!!!! And not some rinky dink blog too ...this is People Magazine...EEEEEEEEEEEE. Now if someone asks Where is the promo?...well there it is! I hope this is just the start of print media promotions.

Another thing that I was excited about...this is not just a press release, this is an interview with Clay. He was controlling the "narrative" and it seems he is deliberately holding back the name of the producer so people can't say that RCA is sabotaging him on that end too. Clay in control...I like that.

I love the theme....this seems to be related to the theme he was playing around with on the other CD...Where I belong. I bet the CD ends with that theme...EEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I also think that the reason he can bring out the CD in May is that they are using some of the songs from the other CD. For example...I wonder about that song Compromise..it sounds like it can fit right into the theme he has right now because he certainly learned to do that. Maybe this producer simply changed the production of some of the songs in that to make the songs more cohesive and current.

EEEEEEEEEEEE..I do hope he starts talking to music publications who will probably ask him more detailed questions about the composers and production

I do believe they will try to make the May date...eve if its not the sixth because of so many factors, mothers day, sweeps, AI if he will try to make it and its the perfect timing to build up momentum for a summer concert.

I haven't seen any of Eddie Izzard's comedy, but I'm excited that The Riches is coming back on the air in March.

Here is the Pavlov's cats routine, the part about cats starts halfway in.....it is hilarious, and it looks like Eddie is cracking up just setting up for it:

Eddie Izzard Pavlov Cats

To people who have only seen Eddie in The Riches - this may not be what you are expecting, heee!

Fixed it!!!! Sorry!

Here is the Pavlov's cats routine, the part about cats starts halfway in.....it is hilarious, and it looks like Eddie is cracking up just setting up for it:

Eddie Izzard's Pavlov's Cats.

To people who have only seen Eddie in The Riches - this may not be what you are expecting, heee!

hmmmm DJS....I don;t think thats a link...hee

Hell, if it's an artist my child knows I like, he'll get it for me on Mother's Day (even if I already have it). And a Mother's Day bump in CDs sales of any kind make sense to me (as most younger people I know do downloads - legally or illegally); purchase of physical media does tend to show up in that generation gap.

May 6th? Looks like a perfectly reasonable date to me, since Clay (who is the one putting the CD out) threw it out there - at this point he has a better idea of what it takes to get an album out the door (barring unexpected surprises) than anyone else besides RCA itself. The Spamlot push has made much more of a national impact than I expected - hell, I don't discuss Clay with my office mates (mainly because in general I have no interest in talking to them anyway) and several of them have brought up Clay in Spamalot (especially the "dissing" of the show). Even though Lycos is one of the minor search engines now, that ranking didn't come from just a local media blitz (and New York local tends toward the national side anyway). If it changes, I still won't care either, because I see a CD dropping for my boy at some point in the future, and I have every faith that there will be a large number of songs I like on it, originals, covers, whatever. I don't really care. I like the way the boy sings just about anything. Except Open Arms. And that frickin' mouse song. And Here, There and Everywhere. I have every faith that a small but vocal minority will hate the CD or some aspect of it, but most people will be fine with it. I have every faith that eventually there will be a national tour (even with limited stops) and me 'n my peeps will be hitting a couple of shows. In the first five rows. I have every faith that a small but vocal minority will hate the tour or some aspect of it, but most people will be fine with it. I have every faith that eventually he will get over his blond phase, and go back to long chestnut locks. I have every faith that he will wear some totally fucked up outfit that will turn out to be either the bleeding edge of fashion or he hit a local Goodwill chapter again. I have every faith that a small but vocal minority will hate the hair or an outfit, but most people will be fine with it. I have every faith that he will say something to totally piss off a small but vocal segment of the fandom. I have every faith that the quiet majority will be perfectly fine. I have every faith that occasionally I will be a member of the small but vocal minority.

From CH:

clayngel at CB wrote:

The show was amazing! HUGE NJU audience and it sounded like a lot of Python fans. I was sitting next to a couple who loved Monty Python and at intermission they were talking about how surprised they were at how good Clay was! Quiana and Jesse were there and in my row, but all the way at the other end and I didn't want to bother them. Clay's Drunken Guard and Brother Maynard get better and better every time I see the show! During the Camelot scene when the girls come out of the prams, they do a high kick during their dance and Clay imitated it and pretended it hurt his leg! No coconut malfunctions tonight. LOTL sang about Posh Spice and got a great reaction. Clay seems to be so comfortable on stage and is looking out into the audience a lot more. The Knights of Ni used the song "It's Hard Out There for a Pimp." Even though the audience was mostly NJU's there was a lot of applause and cheering at the end of his song and after his song. He's soooo cute during the curtain call, dancing and jumping around. I love how happy he looks! When he came out at the stage door he brought David Hibbard, who plays Patsy, with him and announced him, they look like they're good friends. Phew! I think those are the important notes for the night.

Here's my stage door video (which doesn't have the Patsy part because I couldn't get my camera on fast enough. Sorry!)

http://www.sendspace.com/file/1miwx5

Bubbles1904 at CB wrote:

I'm still working on getting some pictures up but thought of some other things about our weekend in NY. We arrived Friday early afternoon and headed to the Shubert to check it out. Took pictures of the area and all the Spamalot signs, especially with Clay's name on it. The lobby of the theater was open so we went in to look around. One man was sitting in the ticket area so people could come in and buy tickets, which they did while we were there. When the person buying tickets left, we went over and talked to him and another man that was there. Not sure what his position was but he seemed to be more than a ticket seller. They had new pamphlets about Spamalot with Clay on the front so we asked if we could have one. He said sure. Then we talked to him about Clay. He had a Clay button on. He was very friendly and very, very complementary about Clay and how impressed he was. Not only how well he does in the play but the man himself (as if we didn't know already). It was great to hear from someone who works in that business day in, day out, about how wonderful Clay was to everyone. He mentioned he is doing so well he has no doubt he will be on Broadway again. That sure made the start of our Clay weekend wonderful. He even mentioned how impressed he was with Jerome. He said he's seen other bodyguards around but they just sit in corners and play with their cell phones. When Jerome is not with Clay, he sits back and reads books. The man talked to him about the books and offered to get him some of his own because it was stuff he himself read. This all says a lot about Clay and who he has around him.

If you get the chance, go to the theater at off hours and talk to the people that work there. It is very insightful to what goes on at Broadway theaters. There was a display of the items they were selling in that lobby and we asked if we could take picutres and they said sure. Wouldn't have done it during show times, but was great to get inside lobby pictures. While I took a couple pictures, someone came in and we heard Clay's name so once she was done with her purchase or picking up of tickets, we asked her if she was a Clay fan. She definitely was and had come to NYC from Germany. Sounded very American but was here to see Clay and other shows. That was fun and exciting too. We hadn't even seen the show yet but were definitely enjoying ourselves.

May 6th? Looks like a perfectly reasonable date to me, since Clay (who is the one putting the CD out) threw it out there - at this point he has a better idea of what it takes to get an album out the door (barring unexpected surprises) than anyone else besides RCA itself. The Spamlot push has made much more of a national impact than I expected - hell, I don't discuss Clay with my office mates (mainly because in general I have no interest in talking to them anyway) and several of them have brought up Clay in Spamalot (especially the "dissing" of the show). Even though Lycos is one of the minor search engines now, that ranking didn't come from just a local media blitz (and New York local tends toward the national side anyway). If it changes, I still won't care either, because I see a CD dropping for my boy at some point in the future, and I have every faith that there will be a large number of songs I like on it, originals, covers, whatever. I don't really care. I like the way the boy sings just about anything. Except Open Arms. And that frickin' mouse song. And Here, There and Everywhere. I have every faith that a small but vocal minority will hate the CD or some aspect of it, but most people will be fine with it. I have every faith that eventually there will be a national tour (even with limited stops) and me 'n my peeps will be hitting a couple of shows. In the first five rows. I have every faith that a small but vocal minority will hate the tour or some aspect of it, but most people will be fine with it. I have every faith that eventually he will get over his blond phase, and go back to long chestnut locks. I have every faith that he will wear some totally fucked up outfit that will turn out to be either the bleeding edge of fashion or he hit a local Goodwill chapter again. I have every faith that a small but vocal minority will hate the hair or an outfit, but most people will be fine with it. I have every faith that he will say something to totally piss off a small but vocal segment of the fandom. I have every faith that the quiet majority will be perfectly fine. I have every faith that occasionally I will be a member of the small but vocal minority.

Hallelujia! Can I get an Amen sistah?

KAndre, I will have to start all my meaningful sentences today with "I have every faith" because I'm a big suck-up minion who believes imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. And it was hypnotic, I tell you. :)

Good morning, everyone!

Speaking of hypnotic.....

AClassic-1.gif

Ooh...and if the vocal minority ain't your speed, there's always the Vocal Majority (Puttin' on the Ritz) hey spending every time to have a good time sounds about my speed. :)

I have every faith that I like suck up pervy minions!

Heh. Clay could totally rock Rockwell...

Thinks as much as she ever does about producers..

Maybe the producer is Madonna? She's sort of pretend British now, isn't she? And was seriously into radio hits....

ROCKWELL! w/backing vocals by Michael Jackson

I would love to hear Clay do something like that song! Not just the theme, which I agree is perfect, but the sound. He could so pull off that sound.

I do wonder how Clay will incorporate the last five years into his songs, but past experience tells me that Clay is pretty... what's the word...... loose comes to mind, but that isn't it...... maybe elastic ....in his conceptualization of such things. I'd love to hear something truly reflective of his experience the way that I imagine it to be, but that might not match his experience. And since I overspeculated excitedly about what 1000 Days might be about when we first heard the title, and it ended up being about battling angels and whatnot (rolls eyes), I'm trying not to think too much about it. I think almost anything could fit that theme. But, for the fun of it, maybe we could get a social faux pas song (hand over mouth, foot on armrest), a screamining Mimi song (enthusiastic fans), a song about surviving evilness (but we already have that), a song about how Clay diverted his mind while sitting in the hair stylist's chair, the possibilities are endless. I just don't think it will be that specific.

No matter. Whatever. Whenever. With whichever look. I'm ready. :clap:

Okay so I lied. :imgtongue:

duckyvee wrote:

I do wonder how Clay will incorporate the last five years into his songs, but past experience tells me that Clay is pretty... what's the word...... loose comes to mind, but that isn't it...... maybe elastic ....in his conceptualization of such things. I'd love to hear something truly reflective of his experience the way that I imagine it to be, but that might not match his experience. And since I overspeculated excitedly about what 1000 Days might be about when we first heard the title, and it ended up being about battling angels and whatnot (rolls eyes), I'm trying not to think too much about it. I think almost anything could fit that theme. But, for the fun of it, maybe we could get a social faux pas song (hand over mouth, foot on armrest), a screamining Mimi song (enthusiastic fans), a song about surviving evilness (but we already have that), a song about how Clay diverted his mind while sitting in the hair stylist's chair, the possibilities are endless. I just don't think it will be that specific.

Heh. It doesn't need to be. We will make it fit whatever it is we want them to say. If there's one thing I've learned over the past five years it's that nobody can interpret and extrapolate like a Clay fan can. If only we could see the glint in his eye. *le sigh*

Clay could come right out and say which songs mean what to him, and some folks would still spin it to fit their theories, because they saw his eye twitch or he used some sekrit code word. It's really quite amusing (if sad).

My two fondest wishes for this go around: A Saturday Night Live appearance and a real music video.

Heh. It doesn't need to be. We will make it fit whatever it is we want them to say. If there's one thing I've learned over the past five years it's that nobody can interpret and extrapolate like a Clay fan can. If only we could see the glint in his eye. *le sigh*

That is so beyond true...

In fact, I would not be surprised if some fans come up with their own version of what his PR should be like, and then spend the whole time complaining angily about RCA and Team Clay when it is not followed. Part of the process now, and now that it is predictable, kinda funny. Pavlovian, almost - the angst and negativity. Maybe it is a protective stance, though.

I have posited for a long time that it's a defense mechanism that some people need. Like my dad, who loves his football team but rarely has anything positive to say about them during a game, or the coach either, and seems resigned to defeat before the games begin. He just doesn't want to get his hopes up, you know. This would be okay if he were like this when the team was 2 and 14 -- but he's been this way forever and never more so than in winning seasons. Just his nature.

I've only seen Dressed to Kill, but I've watched it at least a dozen times. The "he's a doughnut" bit will CMSU every single time without fail. And I love the Disney World bit, too.

If it changes, I still won't care either, because I see a CD dropping for my boy at some point in the future, and I have every faith that there will be a large number of songs I like on it, originals, covers, whatever. I don't really care. I like the way the boy sings just about anything. Except Open Arms. And that frickin' mouse song. And Here, There and Everywhere. I have every faith that a small but vocal minority will hate the CD or some aspect of it, but most people will be fine with it. I have every faith that eventually there will be a national tour (even with limited stops) and me 'n my peeps will be hitting a couple of shows. In the first five rows. I have every faith that a small but vocal minority will hate the tour or some aspect of it, but most people will be fine with it. I have every faith that eventually he will get over his blond phase, and go back to long chestnut locks. I have every faith that he will wear some totally fucked up outfit that will turn out to be either the bleeding edge of fashion or he hit a local Goodwill chapter again. I have every faith that a small but vocal minority will hate the hair or an outfit, but most people will be fine with it. I have every faith that he will say something to totally piss off a small but vocal segment of the fandom. I have every faith that the quiet majority will be perfectly fine. I have every faith that occasionally I will be a member of the small but vocal minority.

KAndre, I have every faith that at some point you will see the light about Open Arms, that frickin' mouse song, and especially Here, There and Everywhere -- well actually too much light on that one. So, I'll be lighting a candle for you and keeping faith, as I tend to do. But do you really think there will be people who will hate his hair and certain outfits? I hope I can adjust.

One thing I noticed about the article (If anyone cares about my opinion)

He said: We are HOPING to have it out ABOUT May 6th. So that to me is still a tentative date.

However, Clay has been consistently saying May in all of his interviews, so hopefully this will stand true.

I know, it's hard to believe, but the way he arranges (or doesn't arrange) various strands of artificially colored keratin that springs from his head (the keratin that springs from other parts is apparently perfect in every way) is of national importance second only to his commenting (or lack thereof) on his feelings for anything.

The outfits? I'm afraid there is no rational explanation for some of the outfits - I swear, sometimes all he seems to do is say "Are all the naughty bits covered? Good. Let's go." Frankly, I think the American Psychiatric Association needs to dedicate a couple of pages in the DSM-IV to the trauma caused by the Good Buddy and Stitch Witchery jackets.

Make the candle one that smells like ocean breezes and I swear if and when Clay makes out with me while singing Open Arms, I'll reconsider. I'll need actual sex to like HT&E, and the frickin' mouse song is irredeemable.