How the Heck are We All Gonna Get Along? With Clay, Naturally!

hi Idyjocelyn, 

I'll see if steps below works later today !!

>>>just finished downloading app for Spectrum News 1 to my android via google play...

>>>listening (and watching!)   live news now (selected Central NC) .... and access to app is free for 30 days, then you need to become all-access member to continue (no idea re $$)..

>>>Also tried to get SpectrumNews! live-feed on desktop, but unsuccessful.

>>>meanwhile working to find info on broadcast timing

>>> BTW--none of 5 news channels listed was ''RDU" , so i figured its either 'Triad" or 'Central NC"

1 hour ago, beanerknits said:

hi Idyjocelyn, 

I'll see if steps below works later today !!

>>>just finished downloading app for Spectrum News 1 to my android via google play...

>>>listening (and watching!)   live news now (selected Central NC) .... and access to app is free for 30 days, then you need to become all-access member to continue (no idea re $$)..

>>>Also tried to get SpectrumNews! live-feed on desktop, but unsuccessful.

>>>meanwhile working to find info on broadcast timing

>>> BTW--none of 5 news channels listed was ''RDU" , so i figured its either 'Triad" or 'Central NC"

it was on channel 'central NC'...

I'd say today's teaser clip lasted less than 20 secs, with each candidate getting about 10 words in...(Clay's expression very animated)

...full report coming 'later this week"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Clay is pictured, mentioned, quoted in this article about Judge Evans:

https://indyweek.com/news/durham/pat-evans-forthcoming-judgement-election/

Evans is campaigning with a group of candidates who have come together as “Better Bull City.” The other candidates include Jonathan Wilson, who is challenging Satana Deberry for district attorney; Jessica Major, who is vying for a district court seat held by incumbent Dave Hall; school board candidates Jasper Fleming and Donald Hughes; and Clay Aiken, the openly gay 2003 American Idol runner-up who is running for the US House seat in District 4.

In a statement to the INDY this week, Aiken said that he’s a Christian and is disappointed that “anyone would assume someone to be anti-LGBT based on their Christian faith.”

“The God I worship loves all people, and in every encounter I have had with Pat Evans through the years, I’ve experienced only the same type of love and acceptance from her,” Aiken said.

Aiken added that Evans was the very first elected official in Durham to call and congratulate him when he entered the US House District 4 race.

“I’ve seen her be a champion, a supporter, and a friend to me and to many LGBT people, including her own openly gay son,” Aiken said. “She’s shared wisdom from her decades of public service with me and other aspiring LGBT leaders, like Donald Hughes. I have never once felt anything but loved and respected by Judge Evans.”

This comes close to being a hit piece, but it does present positive things about her. I don't know anything about the judge, so this is not an endorsement, but I was surprised in a good way that she was behind the April gun buyback in Durham. I've been thinking for a long time someone needs to do that. It needs to happen some more. There are way too many guns in Durham, and a shooting just about every day.

• Like 1

Hi there!  Well my daughters pathology report came back today and if we’re reading it right she is cancer free!  One week ago she was screaming in pain and thinking the worst!  Today she ate her first real meal in about 6 weeks! (Meatloaf) and has stopped taking her pain meds.  Thank you all for your good vibes!

• Like 2

Tons of good pictures from the National Inclusion Project Gala.  Don't have time today to pull and post some, but will do that tonight.

Also, if you have access to CV, now's a good time to check in over there...potential goodies...

Another good candidate questionnaire, this from the N&O:

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/politics-government/election/voter-guide/article260570777.html

READ MORE Candidates for US House of Representatives District 4 in North Carolina In North Carolina’s 4th Congressional District, Rep. David Price is not running for another term in 2022. Those running to replace him include Democrats Crystal Cavalier, Valerie Foushee, Matt Grooms, Stephen Valentine, Ashley Ward, Richard Watkins, Clay Aiken and Nida Allam and Republicans Courtney Geels and Robert Thomas. Get to know the candidates with our 2022 Voter Guide.

Name: Clay Aiken

Political party: Democratic

Age as of Nov. 8, 2022: 43

Campaign website: www.clayaiken.com

Education: B.A. in special education from UNC-Charlotte.

Have you run for elected office before? (Please list previous offices sought): I was the Democratic nominee for Congress in NC-02 in 2014.

Please list highlights of your civic involvement: I founded and chair the National Inclusion Project, a nationwide leader in training youth organizations to make their programs inclusive for children with disabilities. It provides resources and accreditation for recreational programs in over 35 states, and major programs here in the Triangle.

WHAT IS YOUR PLAN FOR LIMITING THE EFFECTS OF INFLATION? One of the most tangible effects of inflation in our area is the skyrocketing cost of housing. We should increase the Capital Magnet Fund to leverage federal money to boost availability of affordable housing, and target it to areas like the Triangle where folks are being priced out of their homes.

WHAT IS THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT’S ROLE IN CONTROLLING OR ENDING THE COVID-19 PANDEMIC? If there’s ever been a clear argument for why the government should acknowledge health care is a basic human right, it’s been the COVID crisis. The most important step to address it and future public health challenges is to offer a public option and work towards a Medicare-for-all health care system.

WHAT IS THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT’S ROLE IN COMBATING THE EFFECTS OF CLIMATE CHANGE? The federal government must take an active role in combating the effects of climate change by investing in research and development for carbon neutral technologies, incentives to aid in their adoption, and forming robust climate goals and plans to reach them both domestically and within the international community.

WHAT IS YOUR PLAN FOR REDUCING VIOLENT CRIME? I support the president’s recent budget proposal that increases funding for law enforcement. Public safety must have the resources it needs to keep citizens safe. We also must invest in social services to create healthy, vibrant communities to prevent crime from occurring in the first place.

WHAT SHOULD HAPPEN IF ROE V. WADE IS OVERTURNED? Congress should not be reactionary and wait for this to occur. It should immediately codify the tenets of Planned Parenthood vs. Casey into law and protect this fundamental constitutional right.

IS THERE AN AREA WHERE YOU DISAGREE WITH YOUR PARTY? WHY? I believe we’ve seen a shift — becoming more focused on “hashtags” and symbolic victories than substance. As a special ed teacher and as chair of an organization to support children with special needs, I’ve always been results-driven, and prefer progress over posturing.

WHAT ARE YOUR TOP ISSUES? PICK UP TO THREE. ▪ Education ▪ Voting and elections ▪ Housing

This story was originally published April 24, 2022 6:00 AM.

Says it was published April 24, but it's new to me. It's behind a paywall so I copied the whole thing and re-added paragraphing. They use a nice photo--the one in the green sweater.

Guest column on Chapelboro.com: 

Generally, political observers consider three contenders to be viable. Durham County Commissioner Nida Allam is running on a potently left-wing platform, emphasizing endorsements from leftist icons like Sen. Elizabeth Warren. From Orange County comes state Senator Val Foushee, a liberal with extensive establishment ties. And former American Idol and Celebrity Apprentice star Clay Aiken seems determined to make things interesting.

All three of the race’s frontrunners reflect the district’s proclivities in some way or another. Allam is very left-wing, as are large numbers of district voters in places like Carrboro and Durham. Foushee’s liberal credentials are beyond question, and she would be the first Black person to represent a district that prides itself on its civil-rights history. Aiken would be the first gay congressperson from the South. Thus, the race is hard to handicap. Any of the three frontrunners could emerge from the primary as David Price’s heir apparent.

It's an interesting historical perspective on the district, in addition to the quoted comments. Full article is here: https://chapelboro.com/town-square/viewpoints-thoughts-on-the-fourth-district.

• Like 1

There's a long, long article in the N&O today about the PAC money being spent on Val's campaign. A few mentions of Clay, but the over-all theme is even more important. 

If all eight pooled every dollar their campaigns have reported raising so far, they still wouldn’t have as much money as what those two outside groups have spent on pro-Foushee TV ads and mailers, an analysis by The News & Observer shows.

In all, between the donor bundling and the super PAC spending, AIPAC has spent nearly $2 million on Foushee. The other super PAC active in the race, Protect Our Future, has spent nearly $1 million more backing her.

Read more at: https://www.newsobserver.com/news/politics-government/article260975442.html

Since the N&O strips the formatting and the photos when I try to copy to paste here, and has a paywall, I tried converting this one to a pdf and uploading it here. Let's see what happens. ETA: looks like it wants to download the pdf onto your computer.

Democratic primary in NC_ millions in Super PAC money _ Raleigh News & Observer.pdf

Another quote from the article:

In the NC-04 primary, records from the Federal Communications Commission reviewed by The N&O show just how much the outside groups have been able to dominate the airwaves in recent weeks. On WRAL, the local NBC affilliate, FCC records show the two pro-Foushee super PACs have spent nearly $1 million buying ads on just that one channel. By contrast, Foushee’s campaign itself has paid for just $8,800 worth of ads on the channel, Aiken’s campaign has spent $19,775 and Allam has spent $33,525. Similar patterns show up in the reports for other local channels like WTVD, WNCN and WRAZ.

• Thanks 1

jmh123,

...thanks for link, it led directly to article, no problem.

...wanted to let you know that when i clicked link for pdf, my PC gave warning that there may be a warning ('suspicious, may contain virus'), I blocked the downloading. ...has anyone else encounter same issue?