Pin Maker lounge

Ansamcw

Very interesting point cameocat.. I do at times wonder how some of the designs would look in pin size...I think that is something we need to take into consideration when doing a design.

However, I think the ornament pins that are being planned may become bigger than usual.

Very interesting point cameocat.. I do at times wonder how some of the designs would look in pin size...I think that is something we need to take into consideration when doing a design.

However, I think the ornament pins that are being planned may become bigger than usual.

I agree that a little bigger is fine if the pin has a dual function. The Clay Dawgs pin is also a dog tag, which is seems to be why that is so big.

I agree that the lapel pins should be smaller. Less than 1" though and you have a "spot" on your shirt. 1" to 1.25" is good. I did one that was longer but it was a thin design so it didn't look like a big pin and worked.

The problem is, and something to keep in mind, that those lines need to be a certain width - by lines I mean the metal lines that are in between colors and outline the shape. So, if you have a lot of detail, the pin must get larger. Simpler is best I think.

Now the ornaments are different as they aren't meant to be worn but I think those stay within a 3" range if I'm not mistaken.

:)

I agree that the lapel pins should be smaller. Less than 1" though and you have a "spot" on your shirt. 1" to 1.25" is good. I did one that was longer but it was a thin design so it didn't look like a big pin and worked.

The problem is, and something to keep in mind, that those lines need to be a certain width - by lines I mean the metal lines that are in between colors and outline the shape. So, if you have a lot of detail, the pin must get larger. Simpler is best I think.

Now the ornaments are different as they aren't meant to be worn but I think those stay within a 3" range if I'm not mistaken.

Great point...I found that with our FCA design the colors of the three letters got overwhelmed by the gold metal around it. Its not bad but I would rethink those design elements next time. Right now I am thinking of using that other type of pin with epoxy finish to get more design options. But I am a bit apprehensive about it...not sure it will be as attractive as the cloissone (sp?) pins. But its something I may consider. Anybody thinking of designing something for the next CD?

I agree, 1.25 seems good size for pins and if we go ornaments then definitely 2-3 inches would work.  Is there gonna be a place for us to start posting xmas designs.  I've also got a few ready just waiting for the tour name.

Yup we have the new pins forum...where people put their designs or design concepts to get feedbacks...We also have a forum to put order info so we can keep track of them. We also have a category in the pin gallery where members can uplaod their design. It has a rating and comment section so it could be a good way to get feedback on preliminary designs.

Will the christmas designs just be added to the existing gallery? Has there been a consensus taken yet as to whether we do pins, ornaments or both. I'm kinda leaning towards doing both. The ornaments would get used every year, like a tradition. Wow, when you look at how many designs we ended up with we certainly could decorate a regular size christmas tree if they were ornament sizes uh? lol....

Will the christmas designs just be added to the existing gallery?  Has there been a consensus taken yet as to whether we do pins, ornaments or both.  I'm kinda leaning towards doing both.  The ornaments would get used every year, like a tradition.  Wow, when you look at how many designs we ended up with we certainly could decorate a regular size christmas tree if they were ornament sizes uh? lol....

I have just finished designing two Christmas Pins. I can't believe I will take this on again. Doing 2 pins back to back was Clayzy! But boy did I learn alot. And you guys are right about ordering extra pins. I had approximately 30 of my envelopes vanish in the postal system! Almost 50 pins! So now I am having to re-order some of the train pins to get them to the folks who are waiting! YIKES! And since we are donating all procedes to our Fun Center project, I am eating the cost of the pins which I have to pay a higher price for since it is a smaller order.

So next time, I will just add an extra 50 and keep them aside just in case!

D

Will the christmas designs just be added to the existing gallery?  Has there been a consensus taken yet as to whether we do pins, ornaments or both.  I'm kinda leaning towards doing both.  The ornaments would get used every year, like a tradition.  Wow, when you look at how many designs we ended up with we certainly could decorate a regular size christmas tree if they were ornament sizes uh? lol....

Good Idea I can certainly make a new gallery for that, This one is really getting very full.

Ok guys, which web hosts do you guys use to post the pin creations on with the paypal button. I've been trying to decide which/where to go. Anyone use aol hometown pages? And if so, does it allow you to put a paypal button??? I used the old email paypal system last time and would really rather simplify it.

Question:

Are there copywrite laws that should prevent us from using Clay's actual face (not an outline, cartoon or silhouette) on a pin?

Don't want or need any legal problems. Does anyone know? I know there are a lot of pins out there with his face on them - is this ok?

Guest mailing pins

Hey everyone,

I was wondering what the best way was to mail these pins. I have them all ready to go but I have over 300 of them to mail.... so how can I make this easier on me and the post office to mail these out???

Ok guys, which web hosts do you guys use to post the pin creations on with the paypal button. I've been trying to decide which/where to go. Anyone use aol hometown pages?

I used my AOL ftp site for the ordering page for the Great Balls of Fire pin and the pin jpeg. I tried the aol hometown page 7 or 8 years ago as a home page for a craft club and was turned off by the endless advertising. Have they stopped that?

I was wondering what the best way was to mail these pins. I have them all ready to go but I have over 300 of them to mail.... so how can I make this easier on me and the post office to mail these out???

My post office asked me to bring them in bins, one for each weight category. I actually put them in separate bins for each number of pins in the order: 1 pin, 2 pins, 3 pins, etc. I could have used those sturdy plastic bins from the post office, but had already bought cardboard bins from Staples ($1.95 each). These worked great, and I could write on the side what the contents were.

Now a question of my own:

What pin makers have folks worked with and what were your experiences? I'm having some rocky times with Pin Promotions, although they may come through in the end. We'll see. However, if I make another pin, I would like to consider another company. What has been all y'all's experience?

Edited by artquest

Artquest,

I worked with Gary Anderson at pinz.tomskot.com, and although he is a smaller company, he really gave me a lot of individual attention. I also felt that his prices were better. This was with my Delaware pin. I also worked with Jeff, who Missmobius likes!! He was fine, but I was on vacation for a few days during the designing and ordering and I felt that he got a tad impatient. I didn't find this a problem really, but I felt bad since I was camping and unable to get back to him.

I always have my eyes and ears open, so I'll post if I hear anything else that may help you!!!

Francie

Ok guys, which web hosts do you guys use to post the pin creations on with the paypal button. I've been trying to decide which/where to go. Anyone use aol hometown pages?

I used my AOL ftp site for the ordering page for the Great Balls of Fire pin and the pin jpeg. I tried the aol hometown page 7 or 8 years ago as a home page for a craft club and was turned off by the endless advertising. Have they stopped that?

My post office asked me to bring them in bins, one for each weight category. I actually put them in separate bins for each number of pins in the order: 1 pin, 2 pins, 3 pins, etc. I could have used those sturdy plastic bins from the post office, but had already bought cardboard bins from Staples ($1.95 each). These worked great, and I could write on the side what the contents were.

Now a question of my own:

What pin makers have folks worked with and what were your experiences? I'm having some rocky times with Pin Promotions, although they may come through in the end. We'll see. However, if I make another pin, I would like to consider another company. What has been all y'all's experience?

So I called Jeff at Pin Promotions this morning, just to check in, and he said the pins are on their way!!!!! All of them. In three boxes!!!

I was so happy I cried. Then I said, "Holy Shit." And Jeff said, "You said a bad word." And I said, "I'm sorry. Only not!" And then I did a happy dance all around the kitchen.

So he and I will talk on Tuesday about the design for the Christmas pin and what we've learned and what, if anything, needs to be altered to make this easier. And then I have to put it up for orders as it'll take two months to deliver, which puts that towards the beginning of November.

Whew. Did I say I was happy?

So I called Jeff at Pin Promotions this morning, just to check in, and he said the pins are on their way!!!!!  All of them.  In three boxes!!!

I was so happy I cried.  Then I said, "Holy Shit."  And Jeff said, "You said a bad word."  And I said, "I'm sorry.  Only not!"  And then I did a happy dance all around the kitchen. 

So he and I will talk on Tuesday about the design for the Christmas pin and what we've learned and what, if anything, needs to be altered to make this easier.  And then I have to put it up for orders as it'll take two months to deliver, which puts that towards the beginning of November.

Whew.  Did I say I was happy?

Art - I'm very happy for you and yes, I want my pins! I love that Jukebox pin. I'm doing a happy dance inside.

I'm here for you for if you need help shipping... I may need you too for the Louisiana hearts and the Christmas Clay stuff so don't go anywhere!

YAY artquest...its really cool that Jeff didn;t really desert you. What a relief...looking forward to the christmas pins...may have to reconceptualize the pin gallery it is getting so big...but I just love having all the pretty pictures all together *g*

Share you war stories here!  Share tips on packaging, paypal, and spreadsheets.  What lessons have you learned? Will you do it again?

PIN MAKERS:

Pin Promotions

Phone Number: 1-800-264-3923

Dollar Pins

Contact: Laura  (say Dianna of Clay Train Connction sent you)

Phone Number: 563-927-3179

Based in Iowa.  Dianna had her pins within 7 business days. Free Shipping.

Pin Mart

ENVELOPES

Uline.com

ESupplyStore

EBAY (type in bubble mailers and boom!)

POSTAGE

US Postal Service

TIPS

From Geekette: I learned (also the hard way) that printing return address labels using Avery's standard template just doesn't cut it. I have a custum label set up with a little extra space on the left margin so it doesn't cut off the first few characters. I don't know if it's my set up or what, but practice on a blank page and adjust as needed.

Note: You see where I'm going here. I'm going to try to put all the important info from you all in this first post.

I am happy that we have sold 198 of the Trick or Treat pins since Wednesday (giving us about a $500 donation to UNICEF right now), but we sold 750 of the original TTC pins in the blink of an eye. Have the requests been slowing down for the new pins, or is it just this pin? Which I think is just adorable - the subtle details Soapyjeans included are awesome....the sneakers with pink shoelaces, the spiky hair on the Star holding the mic, etc.

More info regarding available Pin Makers......

www.PinPros.com is offering a 5% additional discount to Clayfans having their pins made through this vendor. The contact person is Margi@pinpros.com (she's a Claymate!) And, their prices are a bit less expensive than Pin Promotions at regular prices to begin with.

just thought I'd b=pass that along. Thanks Soapyjeans for sending me their way!

I am happy that we have sold 198 of the Trick or Treat pins since Wednesday (giving us about a $500 donation to UNICEF right now), but we sold 750 of the original TTC pins in the blink of an eye.  Have the requests been slowing down for the new pins, or is it just this pin?  Which I think is just adorable - the subtle details Soapyjeans included are awesome....the sneakers with pink shoelaces, the spiky hair on the Star holding the mic, etc.

"Have the requests been slowing down for the new pins, or is it just this pin? "

I think they have been slowing down for all pins. People are more selective now because of the number of pins available and the unknown amount that are becoming available. It's obvious that the pin frenzy is not slowing down and people are starting to feel the pain in their pocketbooks. Sadly, for all, the less pins are ordered the more expensive they become.

Tamara