Lets talk about pins

Ansamcw

I wanted to know if the pin pages about the origins of each pin were still being compiled. If so what is the plan for them?

If it won't be sold for profit I wonder if it will be okay? I suggest we could continue compiling the info and maybe just put it up as a website or part of a forum...It would really be very interesting.

Ansa, that would be a great idea! Let me know if I can help in any way!

Seaofdawn, I'm one of the fans working on the Pin Pages and right now, we're up in the air. Getting responses from people has been verrrry slow, but we were still collecting them. One fan who had responded just emailed me to withdraw her pages. Our short term goal was to have them to give to Clay and now what do we do?? If there are people who now don't want Clay to have a page with their pin info on it..............I just don't know what to do!

I had just sent out a lot of reminders to my first group of pin designers and was giving them time to respond before sending the reminder to the next group when this all happened. So, we are in limbo at the moment. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Or if there are any designers out there reading this and you still want your page included, please email me at claypinpages@yahoo.com.

Thanks,

Francie

:)

Hi everyone. I was very upset when I heard about the C&D letter. I would have preferred Clay to make an announcement to his fans that he wanted us to stop making the pins first before his lawyers resorted to a CEASE and DESIST letter. I just think it would have been a better way to handle the situation. I know not everyone agrees with me. I have always been one to say things before thinking it through. But I am calming down now and I still love Clay. I understand the reasons for everything that has happened NOW. Couch Tomato, you explained it very well in this first post.

Hi everyone.  I was very upset when I heard about the C&D letter.    I would have preferred Clay to make an announcement to his fans that he wanted us to stop making the pins first before his lawyers resorted to a CEASE and DESIST letter.  I just think it would have been a better way to handle the situation.  I know not everyone agrees with me.  I have always been one to say things before thinking it through.  But I am calming down now and I still love Clay.    I understand the reasons for everything that has happened NOW.  Couch Tomato, you explained it very well in this first post.

Claysgurl,

I think many of us wanted it to be Clay. But actually, I am sure he doesn't know anything about this. He has his attorneys and they are just doing their jobs. If they had not issued a C&D after being told about the pin(s)/DVDs in question, they would have been in danger of losing the Copyrights in place.

I think Clay has enjoyed all the pins. I know we have really gotten his name out and about, that's for sure. I Clayverted my pin vendor! LOL And I will continue to design pins as long as there is an interest in them. The hardest part will be the first pin after all this that I put out. I will be so disappointed if it is not seen by the Clay fans. And no, it does not have Clay's name or his image/likeness! I had designed this pin and submitted it for a proof last week, before all the drama.

d

Hi everyone.  I was very upset when I heard about the C&D letter.    I would have preferred Clay to make an announcement to his fans that he wanted us to stop making the pins first before his lawyers resorted to a CEASE and DESIST letter. I just think it would have been a better way to handle the situation.  I know not everyone agrees with me.  I have always been one to say things before thinking it through.  But I am calming down now and I still love Clay.    I understand the reasons for everything that has happened NOW.  Couch Tomato, you explained it very well in this first post.

But what if Clay didn;t want the pin making to stop, its just the use of his copyrighted material that they wanted stopped...that does not mean all the pins have to stop. If he wanted it to really stop there is the OFC where he can announce it. or even contact the board admins or even the pin gallery. Besides...he really cannot stop us from making pins and trading as long as we follow the copyright rules. He knew about this for a long time...if he wanted it stopped we would;ve heard sooner. The C&D was to one pin maker not to all the fandom.

Hi everyone.  I was very upset when I heard about the C&D letter.    I would have preferred Clay to make an announcement to his fans that he wanted us to stop making the pins first before his lawyers resorted to a CEASE and DESIST letter. I just think it would have been a better way to handle the situation.  I know not everyone agrees with me.  I have always been one to say things before thinking it through.  But I am calming down now and I still love Clay.    I understand the reasons for everything that has happened NOW.  Couch Tomato, you explained it very well in this first post.

But what if Clay didn;t want the pin making to stop, its just the use of his copyrighted material that they wanted stopped...that does not mean all the pins have to stop. If he wanted it to really stop there is the OFC where he can announce it. or even contact the board admins or even the pin gallery. Besides...he really cannot stop us from making pins and trading as long as we follow the copyright rules. He knew about this for a long time...if he wanted it stopped we would;ve heard sooner. The C&D was to one pin maker not to all the fandom.

I agree with Ansa......whoever the whistleblower is, they pretty much FORCED the attornies to act. The designer who got the C&D order used Clay's full name in a lot of her designs. That is a flat out copyright infringement. there was no way for her to say - it's not about Clay Aiken.

Well maybe Clay knew and couldn't help what had to be done. Anyway I understand the legalities and agree with you all. We will just have to come up with better ideas. Makes it harder that's all.

I can't stop loving Clay - I'm hooked for life I suppose.

If, hypothetically, one had a collection of small, brightly-colored holiday-themed pins one wished to display, the following suggestion might have worked well for someone I heard of but in no way know or would be able to identify personally.

Since many of the holiday pins feature red details (but no certainly no images or terms trademarked by a former reality show contestant cough, cough), a red fleece scarf might possibly serve as an appropriate background. Just theoretically, of course, one could attach the pins to the scarf and hang it on the wall as part of a festive display, and it might just possibly look very cute.

Not that I have any direct knowledge of such a thing. ;)

Edited by bottlecap

If, hypothetically, one had a display of small, brightly-colored holiday-themed pins one wished to display, the following suggestion might have worked well for someone I heard of but in no way know or would be able to identify personally.

Since many of the holiday pins feature red details (but no certainly no images or terms trademarked by a former reality show contestant cough, cough), a red fleece scarf might possibly serve as an appropriate background.  Just theoretically, of course, one could attach the pins to the scarf and hang it on the wall as part of a festive display, and it might just possibly look very cute.

Not that I have any direct knowledge of such a thing.  ;)

Bwah...great suggestion...althoguh I have to admit to reading this twice...maybe three times.. :D

I don't think the C&D letter was designed to stop the pin craze. I think it was a warning to stop using trademarked and copyrighted material on the pins. I agree the lawyers hand was probably forced when someone complained. <_<

As long as the pins are kept legal I don't see any reason to stop the hobby. That's why I don't understand why a board would shut down pin talk.

I'm so glad to see so many pin people trying to get back on track and have fun again. :D

I've wondered about the timing, though I've thought for a while that this was coming as it kept getting more and more blatant in copywrite violation. (Which I loved as the pins kept getting better and better!) :D

But this happened at the time a fan offered a DVD on ebay of the JBT and sold it for $110.00. Then 3 fairly small boards of pins, sold for the BAF, went for a total of about $5,000. The powers that be of course had to step in and stop the sale of video from fans selling for great profit, that wasn't why it was allowed. But I also wondered if it was the first time they realized that aside from fan fun and trading on the boards, these pins could be a huge ebay windfall in the wrong hands, and how long till we had people joining boards to cash in? May sound crazy, but how many 'members' on the OFC are buying up all the good seats at presales to resell on brokers sites? Way too many.

JMHO on what happened.

I still have lots of pins out there paid for, and am praying they will all still be delivered! I can't imagine they would try to interfere with that. :unsure:

Seaofdawn, I'm one of the fans working on the Pin Pages and right now, we're up in the air. Getting responses from people has been verrrry slow, but we were still collecting them. One fan who had responded just emailed me to withdraw her pages. Our short term goal was to have them to give to Clay and now what do we do?? If there are people who now don't want Clay to have a page with their pin info on it..............I just don't know what to do!

I had just sent out a lot of reminders to my first group of pin designers and was giving them time to respond before sending the reminder to the next group when this all happened. So, we are in limbo at the moment. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Or if there are any designers out there reading this and you still want your page included, please email me at claypinpages@yahoo.com.

Thanks,

Francie

:)

Francie,

I can understand if some of the designers of pins that have Clay's image or full name on them are uncertain about wanting their information (name/screenname) included in the pin pages - I myself thought about this after the C&D letter arrived - I think if someone asks that their page be removed from the pin pages then just a picture of the pin with the designation "designer wishes to remain anonymous" might be ok - that way every design is represented but those designers wishing to remain anonymous after the C&D can.

I had wondered if the pages were still going to Clay because if the pages contain the complete info on each pin and the designers, I wonder if more C&D letters would be sent if his lawyers became aware of the information in the pin pages.