Lets talk about pins

Ansamcw

I bought my shadowbox FINALLY for my pins and it's just gorgeous. I was finally able to see everything I bought and remove my duplicates (yay more stuff to trade). And I have lots of room for all my new pins on order. I think I'll get a small one for my Xmas pins.

Anyway, if you've been waiting to buy one, my Michael's had them on sale for 40% off this week.

I am using a bulletin board to display my pins, along with my concert paraphernalia from this summer. The centerpiece is the Clay pennant I got at the concert pre-party, along with my ticket stub, and pictures I downloaded from the concert. The pins are all scattered around randomly around those items, and they are starting to get a little crowded! I haven’t decided what to do with the Holiday pins yet, but I may look for a Christmas bear (or penguin :P ), that I can display the pins on.

I am using a bulletin board to display my pins, along with my concert paraphernalia from this summer.  The centerpiece is the Clay pennant I got at the concert pre-party, along with my ticket stub, and pictures I downloaded from the concert.  The pins are all scattered around randomly around those items, and they are starting to get a little crowded!  I haven’t decided what to do with the Holiday pins yet, but I may look for a Christmas bear (or penguin  :P  ), that I can display the pins on.

Bottlecap,

I vote for the Penguin!

Aurora

The Jukebox DVD pins have landed!!! Mr. Artquest says they look great, but I have to get home and hold these babies in my hands to be sure. I won't be able to start packaging them until tomorrow night, and then they'll be mailed out by the number of pins in each order. Look for the one and two pin orders to go out on Friday, the rest on Saturday and Monday.

Everyone has been so patient! No one person has whined or complained or gotten angry. Not a single person. Thank you all for your patience.

Edited by artquest

The Jukebox DVD pins have landed!!!  Mr. Artquest says they look great, but I have to get home and hold these babies in my hands to be sure.  I won't be able to start packaging them until tomorrow night, and then they'll be mailed out by the number of pins in each order.  Look for the one and two pin orders to go out on Friday, the rest on Saturday and Monday.

Everyone has been so patient!  No one person has whined or complained or gotten angry.  Not a single person.  Thank you all for your patience.

YAY I'm so happy for you...its almost over! You ahve been so great through all this. You explained the situation very well, always making sure we have updates... so its no wonder people were willing to wait.

The Jukebox DVD pins have landed!!!  Mr. Artquest says they look great, but I have to get home and hold these babies in my hands to be sure.  I won't be able to start packaging them until tomorrow night, and then they'll be mailed out by the number of pins in each order.  Look for the one and two pin orders to go out on Friday, the rest on Saturday and Monday.

Everyone has been so patient!  No one person has whined or complained or gotten angry.  Not a single person.  Thank you all for your patience.

I got my DVD pins just fine, thank you!

Here is the new revised Words to Live by (Health, Happiness & Hope) pin. I have taken Clay's first name only and used the Chinese symbols for his first name. That was the only change made to the pin. These will be limited edition - only 200 sold, so hurry and place your order! The pin's dimensions are 1.25" and you will get them around the second week of December. The cost is a flat rate of $5.00. International flat rate is $6.00.

If you'd like to order, email me: ljscott@elberton.net and I will send you the ordering info. Thanks!

Jaime

triplehpinproof3.jpg

Edited by jaimescrazy4clay

Hi All!

Here is the latest pin that Margi and I have been working on. The concept came up while we were chatting on the phone about her concert experience! Hopefully there will be enough interest for this pin to be made. We still have a bit of tweaking to do because somewhere on the pin will be the text, NO FLASH!

CANoFlash_A.jpg

If you are interested, please email me at noflashpin @ yahoo.com(remove spaces) Of course the price of the pin will be determined by how much interest there is...hoping that it is not over $5.00. Cross your fingers!

Ok, in case you all haven't noticed, the new policy at FCA is that we will not host any pins that violate Clay's copyright or use his image. THIS MEANS GOING FORWARD. If your pin is already posted this does not apply to you. We will keep up all pins as a record of the pin craze.

I have read some of the drama going on at the Clayboard and had written a post but it was locked before I could post it. The bottom line is that using Clay's image or his copyright is illegal. I knew that too. It's not a surprise to me. What also isn't surprising to me is that as usual Clay fans turn on each other or that Clay fans turn on him with a vengence. Frankly, when I heard about Soapy's C&D - I thought well it's time to play by the rules. There are a ton of pins that don't violate Clay's copyright whatsoever. Now folks will have to use a bit more creativity.

The why why whys about why so and so is still on ebay is typical. Because some would rather have Clay's people move on from one pin maker to all pin makers to clack to charms rather than just say..oops caught. There have always been diligent efforts to remove people who profit illegally from his very first Look What Love Has Done. There have been C&D orders issued in the past. They are reported and are taken through the process and they reappear using other names. I mean, soapy could do that too if she so wished and it could very well be 5 months before she got another letter. If Clay's people ignores the blatant violation of Clay's copyright or use of his image than he could lose it. Why fight to get it away from E19 only to lose it to us. Because he's supposed to what, love us? Get real folks. I personally am not angry that every pin maker didn't get a D&C. I'm happy about that. I am taking the hint and moving forward.

When and if I ever get a letter from Clay's lawyers I'm gonna frame that baby as the ultimate peice of clack and understand I got it cuz I broke the rules in the first place and pushed things too far.

All FCA pins have beens shipped - the last batch went out Saturday.

I do have some questions on which I'd like to know where FCA stands..................

Will original artwork or stylized drawing depicting Clay be allowed? What about freehand drawn silhouettes? These are areas that seems to be a bit gray with a lot of people.

It would be good if someone could post a list of copywrited/trademarked terms, like Clay Aiken, claymate, cellcert, etc. I don't know them all and I don't know where to get them. Will you allow the use of just "Clay" or just "Aiken"?

All I can say is WORD.

I also want to say that the fact this C&D happened because of a whistle blower tells me Clay and his people are not out to shut down the pin trade at all. They just want to protect Clay's rights in this. I feel very sad that now people are blaming CLay for this. We have been doing this for months...As early as JBT, Clay has been recieving these pins and nobody got a C&D. We only got the C&D now when the pins were brought to the attention of Clay's lawyers, presumably by another fan. Now they don't have a choice but to make a move on this because they cannot ignore cases before them.

I think at this point we will be our worse enemy if we start pointing at each other and questioning why others didn;t get it. If we just let this go...and start following rules...then we can continue to have fun with this.

I also want to remind pinmakers that I will only take down or change status of pins when asked. So if you need to change anything with your listing just contact me. I would hope in the end we can keep the images of all the pins up as a record of pin history.

Ok, in case you all haven't noticed, the new policy at FCA is that we will not host any pins that violate Clay's copyright or use his image.  THIS MEANS GOING FORWARD. If your pin is already posted this does not apply to you.  We will keep up all pins as a record of the pin craze.

I have read some of the drama going on at the Clayboard and had written a post but it was locked before I could post it. The bottom line is that using Clay's image or his copyright is illegal.  I knew that too. It's not a surprise to me. What also isn't surprising to me is that as usual Clay fans turn on each other or that Clay fans turn on him with a vengence.  Frankly, when I heard about Soapy's C&D - I thought well it's time to play by the rules.  There are a ton of pins that don't violate Clay's copyright whatsoever.  Now folks will have to use a bit more creativity.

The why why whys about why so and so is still on ebay is typical.  Because some would rather have Clay's people move on from one pin maker to all pin makers to clack to charms rather than just say..oops caught. There have always been diligent efforts to remove people who profit illegally from his very first Look What Love Has Done. There have been C&D orders issued in the past.  They are reported and are taken through the process and they reappear using other names.  I mean, soapy could do that too if she so wished and it could very well be 5 months before she got another letter. If Clay's people ignores the blatant violation of Clay's copyright or use of his image than he could lose it.  Why fight to get it away from E19 only to lose it to us.  Because he's supposed to what, love us?  Get real folks.  I personally am not angry that every pin maker didn't get a D&C. I'm happy about that. I am taking the hint and moving forward.

When and if I ever get a letter from Clay's lawyers I'm gonna frame that baby as the ultimate peice of clack and understand I got it cuz I broke the rules in the first place and pushed things too far. 

All FCA pins have beens shipped - the last batch went out Saturday.

There is way too much drama on The CB for something that is no big thing. Continue to make pins, just don't make them with Clay's full name or his image. I think there are alot of good, creative people out there and it is obvious that you are enjoying this. I know I enjoy each and every pin I design and sell. I have not made one penny out of the 7 pins sold. More than $1,000 was raised for The Salvation Army Katrina Relief, more than $600 (and climbing) for UNICEF and our group was able to complete our fundraising goal by adding the final $1,000 and we donated a Fun Center! If this is so horrible, I must really need my head examined! The first 2 pins I donated all the postage and the manufacturing costs. The other 5 pins were very heavy and I paid the difference between what I charged for postage and what it actually cost to ship. So you see. All we pin designers are not evil people who are praying on the Clay Fandom. We are Clay fans who, for the most part, were attempting to brighten days by releasing a new design. We find our designs through our love for Clay Aiken. We do not design our pins to hurt him.

I have not used Clay's full name nor his image. I have used sillhouettes and artists' renditions. But the pins would have been good without them as well. So I am simply concentrating on fun pins which, in no way, infringe upon Clay's Copyright protection.

And I, too, would put that C&D letter right up here in my Clay Clack Room!

I do have some questions on which I'd like to know where FCA stands..................

Will original artwork or stylized drawing depicting Clay be allowed?  What about freehand drawn silhouettes? These are areas that seems to be a bit gray with a lot of people. 

It would be good if someone could post a list of copywrited/trademarked terms, like Clay Aiken, claymate, cellcert, etc.  I don't know them all and I don't know where to get them.  Will you allow the use of just "Clay" or just "Aiken"?

yes grey area indeed... we will need some input from others that have more experience in this. I think the idea is it has to be recognizable as clay aiken...

I think the bobble character is ok...stickman should be too...*g* the silhouette is iffy. I know the original FCA pin silhouette is really not recognizable as clay...the CH pins...I would say is also iffy.

Redjets beautiful sketches...I don't know...I don't think so but maybe she would know better.

When it comes to names...clay is ok...Clay Aiken no. I don;t know of any other terms Clay has TMs...if anybody knows can you please share.

All I can say is WORD.

I also want to say that the fact this C&D happened because of a whistle blower tells me Clay and his people are not out to shut down the pin trade at all. They just want to protect Clay's rights in this. I feel very sad that now people are blaming CLay for this. We have been doing this for months...As early as JBT, Clay has been recieving these pins and nobody got a C&D. We only got the C&D now when the pins were brought to the attention of Clay's lawyers, presumably by another fan. Now they don't have a choice but to make a move on this because they cannot ignore cases before them.

The Clayboard has just issued their own C&D as far as any and all pin activity on their board. They say they are "following the lead of Clay's team."

I have to run...need to work on the new pin for Valentine's Day!!! LOL

Dianna

Yeah, this is difficult. It was easy before because we just put everything up. I'm sorry but IMO sketches of Clay are still Clay and clearly are in violation. Pipe in if you know better. I admit to being ignorant on this.

The trademarked terms are also kind of iffy. Are these all approved. And Claymates? I just don't know how anybody on Team Clay would come after a pin maker for that. I could be wrong though. I guess my advice to everyone is to really think about their pins before paying a pinmaker -- also use this forum for input and to get feedback.

We will seek advice from those in the know.

ClaytonDaze..I agree with you. FCA did four pins and frankly only the Good News pin is in violation. We used a photo. We also got caught up in the whole thing. The other 3 pins I believe are all ok. Pins can be made without using Clay's image or violating his copyrights... it just take a bit more thought. And it will just take all of us working together to help each other stay on the right side. It can be done. Open communicaiton is important and hopefully we can discuss this without a lot of hyperbole and attacks on others!

Okay -- Please let me know if what I think I'm hearing form the FCA owners/mods is correct.

Even though the CB is shutting down it's Pins information thread, as well as the trading thread, you guys plan to stay open? (I hope so) And will you stay open until you yourselves get a C & D letter? (I hope you don't!)

Any NEW pins listed must not have Clay's image or trademarked name on it. But you will keep a copy of ALL pins in the Pin Gallery as a "history" of every pin that's been made (that you have a picture of)?

I know someone has started a new site for pin trading, which has been posted on the CB. Now I just got an email from someone else asking if I was on "so and so's" new email trading list. I guess I'm just wondering if everyone is welcome to come here, and since this is already set up and several people from the CB are already members here, we could all continue over here as our new "home". :)

I'd just hate to see everybody going their separate ways. :(

ETA: Plus, since the Pin Gallery is here, it would just be ONE place we have to go, instead of always going back and forth to look at a pin.

Edited by ClaysSweetTone

I am so glad to see an open and non-threatening discussion about this. I have reposted the Desperate Clayfans image in the new pins thread. I see that it was mentioned that using Clayfans would be okay, being the chicken that I am, I'd rather find another clever way to get the same idea across without using Clay's name. I hope to get some comments and suggestions!!

Thanks Ansa and Couch Tomato for keeping this "hobby" alive for us here at FCA!!

Edited by WNYClayFan

I wanted to know if the pin pages about the origins of each pin were still being compiled. If so what is the plan for them?

If it won't be sold for profit I wonder if it will be okay? I suggest we could continue compiling the info and maybe just put it up as a website or part of a forum...It would really be very interesting.

I know I would love to have a copy of the compilation. Maybe there would be a way to email the document to those who want a copy and we can print it out if we choose.

If I remember correctly the original plan called for giving a copy of that info to Clay - is that still happening?