Ruben Studdard

playbiller

I know I heard the "Homeless" clip yesterday on promosquad, and I might have heard the other ones. I'm not a big R&B fan, so I don't think I gave them anything higher than an "It's okay". I certainly never thought about associating the clips with Ruben when I heard them, so I can't really say one way or the other.

I know I did leave some pretty pointed comments on promosquad about some rap songs (not the Ruben clips) with offensive language and demeaning lyrics - not that it will make any difference. :blink:

o/t Promosquad music - Oh, my goodness, you should see the remarks I have left on some of these songs -whew - there was the song - the night of sex, onlyit was in Spanish ans I hadd to translate, but stopped. There are some rather graphic hip hop songs out there and they all soundthe same - sowhy do people even listne to them - what does it say about the listening public?

I know this is going to be hard to believe, but my parents were very protective of the language I heard growing up and my friends were basically nerd/science people, so.... I never heard a single curse word until I was 16 and I heard it from my 6 year old brother. Then, of course, I took a summer job typing up worker complaints at a union hall and my vocabulary increased immensely in a negative way.

I heard the songs on promosquad last night and I was disappointed . Ruben's voice didn't sound as rich as I remembered . Although the music was smooth , many of the lyrics were trite and awkward . They all sounded alike to me including one that could easily be named Sorry 2006 .

Confusion, confusion - are we the cause or are we the effect.

I was just reading the Kim Caldwell thread at Idol Forums. They were discussing the cancelled concert. According to Kim's webmaster, who posts there, Kim Caldwell was not informed of the cancellation until today, where as the webmaster knew before her. It might have been that she learned from the Ruben thread where I posted that the concert was cancelled, It did not occur to me to check the Kim thread. Isn't it odd that she had to learn in such a convoluted way?

It was interesting because it seems like some Ruben fans (on Ruuuben . com who are in LV for the concert just learned today from another poster who normally posts on Idolforums. Nice how hard it is to find out these things are cancelled.

Now, I only learned it was cancelled from reading it at Clayversity. But I did call and check before posting it anywhere, credibility in these fandoms always being at question. If it were Clay we would have known in minutes. I think this is the difference between a large nternet fandom and a smaller one.

The Vegas show was called Ruben Studdard and friends - so I would say he was the headliner.

I just got a copy of WTWNN from e-bay (well, I was not into buying things during the show, but was immediately after). The cover came cracked - so..... I am playing it. In it, there is the version with Ruben, Clay and Rickey only and the voices meld so beautifully, Ruben has that rich tone and his falsetto is even pleasant - Rickey is a little shrill in a few places, and, of course, Clay is perfect. Anyway, this song made me sad, considering the stuff Ruben used to sing vs what he is singing on Promosquad. I guess he is young and wants to sing what people are listening to today and not just be an AC singer and, of course, the songs are not in thier final version from Promosquad. I do admit I marked them as like it - it sound so much better than what they used to sned me before (I get no music now)

The Vegas show was called Ruben Studdard and friends - so I would say he was the headliner.

I just got a copy of WTWNN from e-bay (well, I was not into buying things during the show, but was immediately after). The cover came cracked - so..... I am playing it. In it, there is the version with Ruben, Clay and Rickey only and the voices meld so beautifully, Ruben has that rich tone and his falsetto is even pleasant - Rickey is a little shrill in a few places, and, of course, Clay is perfect. Anyway, this song made me sad, considering the stuff Ruben used to sing vs what he is singing on Promosquad. I guess he is young and wants to sing what people are listening to today and not just be an AC singer and, of course, the songs are not in thier final version from Promosquad. I do admit I marked them as like it - it sound so much better than what they used to sned me before (I get no music now)

Hey, Ladies!

Does anyone have a tracklist of Mr. Ruben's new CD? I'm trying to keep my records up to date.

Thankies,

Ellie

ON a sad note, I went to get tickets to Englewood to hear Ruben, and found out the concert was cancelled. I have been kind of busy and without people constantly talking aobut htis concert, it slipped my mind. I admit earlier this month, I wnet to get tickets and there were plenty available, more than plenty, first row. But we have to take into consideration that this theater is grossly overpriced.

How overpriced is it? well, I got balcony tickets for Clay and it cost me 83 dollars. I was going for balcony tickets for Ruben and it probably would have cost about 50+. If you wanted first row it is like 150 or so plus fees. Personally, I wsa amazed this theaer sold out for Clay (almost, not quite) because the baclony seat I was in was pretty far back and since I bought them first minutes, I was front row center of balcony. You have to consider that the West Point tickets were about 50+ for 8th row.

My point? These small theaters are wonderful, but they are basically pricing themselves out of the market. I think Ruben would have done much better at the Newark arts center, which has cheaper seats and is easier to find parking. Actually, I would have liked to see Clay there as well, with the 2,750-seat Prudential Hall and the 514-seat Victoria Theater - a size to fit.

Thanks for the Ruben update. You know, he couldn't sell out 600 seats in SF 7 months after idol so I'm not suprised at this. Did they say it was cancelled due to low ticket sales? He needs to do what Fanny does... ben an opening act for someone big. But are there any R&B acts touring? I don't think he's a natural match with the hip hop crowd.

Quick Ruben update - source a new Ruben fan board

Ruben has signed with Universal.

His appearance on Idol Extra whould be appearing soon.

he will be singing on the op 2 finale (hmm, guess we can expect Clay then as well?? maybe they will be doing past idol finales?)

His next CD will be a covers album to be released on May 20th 2008. Celebrate Me Home will be the official 1st single, but because it is tied to idol as the boot song

start rehearsing for Ain't Misbehavin around Sept/Oct and the show is scheduled to open in Nov with Atlanta being the first stop. (More details to follow)

.Tour Cities - This article mentions tour cities. I have added links to recent articles mentioning the tour for those cities. http://www.playbill.com/news/article/114024.html

Cities mentioned from the article, which is old. Among the many cities the tour will play are:

Boston, MA

Los Angeles, CA

Wilmington, DE

Birmingham,

Salt Lake City, UT;

Pueblo, CO;

Erie, PA

Hays, KS

TOUR CITIES THAT SEEM TO BE CONFIRMED ARE:

Nov 18-23 - Atlanta, GA - Fox Theatre

http://www.accessatlanta.com/blogs/content...tlanta/atlarts/

Dec 12-13 KC, Kansas - Carlsen Center

Carlson Center

Jan 2-3 Sarasota, FL - Van Wezel Performing Arts Hall

http://www.bradenton.com/695/story/452354.html

January 9-11 Philadelphia, PA - Kimmel Center

http://www.kimmelcenter.org/broadway/subs0809.php

Jan 13-14 Greensboro, NC - War Memorial Auditorium

http://www.greensborocoliseum.com/corporat...cfm?id=1#start8

Feb 2-9 Birmingham, AL - the BJCC Concert

http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2008/02/aint_m...ring_ruben.html

Mar 19-22 Spokane, WA

http://www.khq.com/Global/story.asp?S=7899380

I'll update this page with dates as we get new information.

HISTORY AND AWARDS OF THE ORIGNIAL SHOW:

http://www.mtishows.com/show_history.asp?ID=000002

MUSIC FROM THE ORIGINAL PRODUCTION:

http://www.mtishows.com/show_songs.asp?ID=000002

Wheeee I found the Ruben thread!

Thanks for the updates, play. Interesting news about the Top 2 finale, and the covers cd on May 20th. I might have to pick this one up. I've always loved Ruben's voice but didn't like the songs on his first cd. Have never heard his gospel cd, I guess I should look that up and see if I like it.

I wouldn't mind seeing the show if it comes to a city close enough for me to drive to. Maybe Erie, PA? Depending on weather, sounds like all of these are during the winter which is pretty iffy from here!