#3 - Here He Comes Again

Ansamcw

strummer, I had to look up that Adam guy too...meh. He's no Clay Aiken. Besides, I bet he's not all that charming on talk shows, either.

As far as your "place in the ACAC world" -- it's wherever you want to be. *g*

Thinking about the new thread titles, I've got two, both variations from Clay's MM questionaire. How about either:

Still waiting to become adults

OR

Helping keep Clay's favorite color a secret since 2005!

OK, so my snark meter is pretty lousy today. It's Friday, what did you expect? Besides, I think I'm overdosing on Cheez Doodles...

Adam Lopez sounds just like a tin whistle - really

Tsk, tsk - Tom Jones, especially in his younger days, really did have a really good voice, very plush - now what he sang was a little suspect I think

Geez! That made my ears hurt!! Adam Lopez could make dogs howl all around the world! And that makes him #3? Is he really even a pop singer??

When I think of Tom Jones I think lots of hairy body parts and polyester suits. I guess I could never get past that to think about his voice! :lol:

Amusing find at the CH:

The Friday Rant: Why Rap Was Better 15 Years Ago (…and Beware the Claymates)

What do our modest blog writer Vince and the Danish newspaper Jyllands-Posten have in common? Both have under come siege this year by fundamentalist religious radicals outraged by journalistic criticism of their deities. Claymates (Clay Aiken fans call themselves this - and I am not making it up, I swear!) responded in droves to my using their man as an example of all that is wrong with pop music, like so many Islamic protesters firebombing embassies. Claymates are not to be trifled with! I am sorry for calling down a Clayslamic jihad upon myself. Always one to put my money where my mouth is, I listed to A Thousand Days (from Aiken’s A Thousand Different Ways) and I, um, kind of liked it. A little. Damn you Clay Aiken!!!

http://instrumentalanalysis.blogspot.com/

My bolding above.

BWAH HA HA HA!

If it has to be one dude at a time, so be it!

Thinking about the new thread titles, I've got two, both variations from Clay's MM questionaire. How about either:

OR

OK, so my snark meter is pretty lousy today. It's Friday, what did you expect? Besides, I think I'm overdosing on Cheez Doodles...

Thread Title Suggestion: Broken Cheese Doodles

Subtitle: They are broken, but we are eating still... A thousand empty calories.

Thread Title Suggestion: Broken Cheese Doodles

Subtitle: They are broken, but we are eating still... A thousand empty calories.

OMG, that's great! Love the subtitle.

But totally agree with my fearless leader, KAndre, that the spelling should be Cheez.

I don't get the "Broken Cheeze Doodles" thing... :unsure:

Hey...I started a post this morning...then got busy and went back a couple of hours later to finish; added MY answers to those MM interview questions, having a good ole' time being oh-so-witty, etc.....

Got called away again as I was finishing the last answer. FINALLY got back to finish and post....

ONLY TO SEE THAT OUR INTERNET SESSION IN THE STAFF ROOM HAD TIMED OUT AND THE WHOLE FREAKIN' MASTERPIECE HAD BEEN FLUSHED DOWN THE BLACK HOLE COSMOS OF CYBERSPACE MISSING AND DANGEROUS WORTHLESS THINGS.

:angry:

Couldn't recreate it...crap.

Anyway...the day went well...have two receptions tonight and then I ain't partying...I'm gonna get some sleep.

maybe ;)

Oh...and that Friday rant thing?!?!??!

PRICELESS! :lol:

Oh, and TOm Jones? I remember thinking that he must be stuffing a sock down the front of his tight shiny pants and he just COULDN'T be really packin' like that! AND that my stepfather didn't like me watching him on tv because he SAID he thought he was vulgar....looking back, though....I bet he was just jealous of the sock.

Wow I am so thrilled....that after being away from the internet most of the day I come home and it took me quite some time to get caught up with FCA!!! well of course I also had to contend with my 13 year old getting caught kissing her BF in school, in front of the pre K kids...sigh...So it took a while for me to get this post together...

So much to Comment on...

ACAC...this is really a mixed bag for me. I think I am with strummer on this one. I appreciate the fact that he tried to experiment with the set up...I loved the set and I really liked the casual atmosphere they tried to create. But it still fell short of expectations thats why I only watched the DVD once for the backstage stuff. I didn't hate it...but I just found that something was a little off with so many elements...I didn't quite like his sweater, his hair was kinda weird and his voice was not tip top shape...I did love the SCICTT, but I hated Barry's song and I was wishing that Clay sang OHN and IBHFC.

Are you sure you want me to de-pod?

Here goes: I've watched the Megan ATD once, and it sounded very rough through my computer speakers. I'll try listening to it through headphones, but my initial reaction was Eeeeps. And for good measure, I thought Clay's face looked a bit puffy or double-chinny or something. Not my favorite talk show appearance by any means, although the audience control bit was very funny.

I kinda agree with you that his voice was not at its best but I love how he played with the melody. I also think he was a bit puffy cos I didn't find him as drop dead gorgeous as usual. Still great looking but not quite the best he has looked. At first I thought it was the hair but he looked great on Tyra to me. Now I think it may be because he was a bit puffy. This is why I think he may not be in top shape healthwise. He knew he might have trouble with the high note and I know Clay tend to play around with the melody if he thinks he is not giving a hundred percent. So its possible he was on cortisone to control some throat inflamation that could create the puffiness...or he may have had some chocolate...

God, I love this place. Even when disagreements appear, senses of humor and respect stay pretty much in tact.

Ditto! And you know, if we never, ever disagreed, we would turn into our own variety of Pod People! :lol:

OH for sure...I am just too opinionated to always agree with people. What's important is respecting everyones opinion and just agree to disagree...

That list though...was bizarre...its good that Clay was on there but how was that compiled? Tom Jones does have a great voice.

Hey, we're getting close to 80 pages on this thread, and it only took us about two months, instead of the year the first one lasted. Ansa and Couchie, are we looking at a new thread soon, with a daily banner change perhaps? [Yeah, I finally got around to voting, and it was hard, dudes. There are some rilly, rilly good choices over there in the banner contest thread.]

Yup...I know...I think we will have the winner on for a bit...then we will give each banner a chance. I just have to get good at changing the banner...

OR

Oh I love those...

I like the Cheez doodle one too...maybe another poll???

If you could trade places with one person for just ten minutes, who would it be?

Clay Aiken. I'd love to know what goes through his mind when he thinks about his fans.

Could you spare a moment to, umm, look down and take some measurements and whatnot while you're in there?

pant, pant, drool, drool...ahem...Muski gets our her yardstick and volunteers for the arduous task of carrying out said measurement.

I'd want to join whoever said earlier that she wants to be the person who's putting that satisfied, happy look on the man's face these days... B)

I like all 3 thread titles that were suggested. What really makes the cheese doodle one work though is the subtitle!

You all are so clever!

This isn't nearly as clever, but what about something like A Certified Pod People Free Zone?

What's your name? : Couch Tomato ( 2 words because the freckled one mandated it)

What's in your iPod (or CD player)? : you mean besides the 44 clay aiken playlists? Looking at my top 25 songs, I see Bob Marley, Tina Turner, Sting, Al Green, and Rickey Martin to name a few. top Clay songs are tears run dry, suspicious minds, broken wings, lover all alone and good news. suprised any made the top 25 considering I have 1000 different variations of most of his songs.

What is "your song" at karaoke? : I could never do it. I'm outgoing ina group of friends, shy in a group of strangers.

What's your favorite time of day? : 5 pm... it means I'm leaving work.

What book are you reading right now? : I've been reading the same jeffrey deaver book for the last 4 months. I used to read a book a week..now I don't have time.

What's your favorite website? : FCA cuz it's my baby. TWoP, everything but the Clay thread. and bankofamerica.com..heh.

What's your favorite old movie (DVD)? : shawshank..if that's not old enough, anything with sidney poitier

What's your favorite current movie? : I enjoyed inside man.

What is set on your television DVR? : Grey's Anatomy, the nine, heros, TAR, desperate housewives..and just signed up for NBA league pass..if those aren't on I usually have it on ESPN NEWS or COURT TV.

If you weren't in show business, what other career would you consider? : Maybe what my degree is in...journalism.

What is the strangest job you've ever held? customer service rep for a window manufacturer. nothing like the stress of sending 300 incorrect windows to a construction site...It wasn't me!!!!

What was the exact moment you became an adult? Probably when i was around 24...that's when i went from somebody afraid of their own shadown to the kick ass person you know today.

If you could trade places with one person for just ten minutes, who would it be? : Raleigh - first I'd kick Durham's tail and then i'd lick Clay all over ..... his face. Get out of the gutter.

What was your last purchase? : the clay aiken fan club upgrade

What's in your carry-on bag? : everything..i no longer check anything in if i can help it

What's under your bed? : an old dusty box of soap tapes... even though i never watch them i can't seem to throw them away.

What's your guilty pleasure? : Clay Aiken fan fiction.... waves to muski.

going to get ready for an interview..wish me luck.

What book are you reading right now? : I've been reading the same jeffrey deaver book for the last 4 months. I used to read a book a week..now I don't have time.

Heh, heh... I remember the days when I read two books a week, and went to the gym, baked cakes, rented videos, scrapbooked, made cards, etc.... Now my free time is sucked up by these message boards!

Actually, the mood of the bigger boards has been good for me, in a way. I started reading more, cooking more, watching more movies, and putting a little more concentration into my work.

Uh... then I found this board... :o

Good luck with the interview, Couchie!

Good Luck Couchie...hope you get this one!!!

hey look what I found on the CH...very interesting article on the Major Label and how they do business today...

MAJORS SORTING OUT THE NEW RULES OF ENGAGEMENT

Revamped Guidelines Are Radically Altering the Way the Big Four Operate

November 3, 2006

Most major labels are presently deep into the process of planning their 2007 budgets and trying to figure out what aspects of the new business model will best enable them to be profitable in these challenging times. The current thinking involves several new guidelines that will take some getting used to for the staffs of the major labels, who in essence have to relearn their jobs. According to the execs we queried (each of whom asked to remain anonymous, for obvious reasons), these new realities include the following:

Labels can no longer indiscriminately drill multiple oil wells in the hopes of hitting the occasional gusher: “In the good old days, we had the personnel and the deep pockets to simultaneously work any number of projects,” groused one veteran executive. “These days money’s tight and our staff is stretched so thin that it’s nearing the breaking point. So we have to be extremely judicious in terms of the projects we prioritize—and quite frankly, there are more and more records on our release schedule that don’t have a snowball’s chance in hell, and everybody knows it but the act, and sometimes the management.”

The majors must quickly cut bait on their stiffs: We’ve seen it a number of times since the start of the fourth quarter—new albums from acts with proven track records that fall well short of expectations. “The conventional wisdom used to be that a new release had six-to-eight weeks and/or two singles to prove itself,” a marketing chief confided. “But now it’s more like the movie business—if you don’t meet or exceed projections, it’s ‘See ya! Next.’”

Regarding new acts, labels must let the market speak rather than attempting to dictate to it: “Let’s face it,” one label head acknowledged, “the majors can no longer afford to be in the business of developing a number of artists at one time by taking a high-profile marketing approach.” Stated another exec: “You can't anoint artists from the top of the label, like in the old days. My former president used to say, ‘This record’s a smash,’ and we’d drop everything, including a couple of million bucks, before we had any research to prove him right or wrong. Now that the powers to be have dropped my former president, we’re trying to make informed choices about which new act to chase by listening to the market and trying to see which ones raise their heads, because it takes all of our resources to chase potential hits. Sometimes we get lucky with a new band, but that’s because the kids know something we don’t and take an act to critical mass essentially without the label’s participation. In fact, the best way to kill momentum on a developing act is to overtly market to their core audience. These fans are turned off by anything that seems to be generated by a major label.” This new reality resembles a Zen riddle—the harder you push, the more resistance you encounter. Without question, the days of throwing money willy-nilly at new and developing acts to see which one sticks are long gone.

This article seem to support the idea that the label is no longer goign to pour promo money just because an act or an artist sold so and so millions in the past. They have to be careful with their expenditures, which means they will go for the soft sell rather than try and open up a new market or develop a new sound for an artist. I think this is exactly why Clive went for the cover love song concept for Clay. He knows Clay is good with this in the past...he has a ready audience for it and its not too far from what peopel expect from Clay.

I also think Clay's CD must've met the labels expectations...thus they are bringing out an EP this Christmas. When you consider that cover CDs don't usually sell too well, you have to compare ATDW's performance with Sony-BMGs biggest selling cover artists in the last few years...that would be Rod and Barry...and Clay outsold both of them in the first week even with practically no radio play. I also think that they are probably looking at a bigger profit margin for Clay;s CD so I bet Clay would be exceeding that labels expectations.

The marketplace is no longer the same for recording artists..I really wonder if Clay would;ve gotten a different treatment with another label.

couchie! WTF? An interview? Whuh happened? Thought you were okay with your job and whatnot?!!?

Damn, these receptions are forcing me to drink too much wine! :trink3: (Shutup, bottle :P )

B) ...I'm sneaking back into the staff room while the program of hte first reception is going on.

Oooooh! ldyjocleyn! I was telling my hotel counterpart here about our little soiree Sunday and how we've "met" because of Clay, etc. She knows about my Clay thang and all and we were talking...I paraphrased that blog entry from the music guy who liked ATD..and she was going, "Wow...huh...I'm going to have to check Clay out...I mean, it sounds so cool---all the friendships and concert going and everything...Hmmmm..."

We talked about how many people likely associate the name/man Clay Aiken with the AI2 guy and sound....and how she'd be surprised (pleasantly) to see and hear more recent Clay productions. I told her she should stop by on Sunday and watch some BIG CLAY CLACK on the projected screen..

She said, 'Oh, no...but I've been planning to have something sent to your room while your friends are here--maybe some champagne or something?"

Uh....yeah...I don't thing that would be a hardship, verdad? ;):trink4: :704: :voll::wein:

And I also said she should watch some downloaded clack on my computer. So here's a challenge: If I could only show her ONE performance that I could download to my laptop, what should it be? Suggestions?

talk amongst yourselves...

edited because just because I know what I mean doesn't mean that you do unless I actually include enough words to make a sentence...heh...AND because ALL my FCA friends' names deserve to be BOLDED!

Edited by muskifest

*gratefully accepts Cheez Doodles from KAndre and adjusts minion sash*

*gets dehydrated orange "cheese stuff" all over sash*

*throws hands in air, thinks "I'm hopeless," and sobs uncontrollably*

:P

ldyjocelyn don't feel bad. I actually asked for it for Christmas. See, my son never knows what to get me, so I just didn't buy it for myself and it was my gift from him. I watched it once and I watched the show when it aired. I enjoyed it, I didn't think it was great, but I've definitely seen worse specials. Like others here, I mainly wanted it to support Clay, it's part of his history.

Good luck couchie, although it's probably too late for me to wish that and stuff. Hope you done good.

She said, 'Oh, no...but I've been planning to have something sent to your room while your friends are here--maybe some champagne or something?"

Uh....yeah...I don't thing that would be a hardship, verdad? ;):trink4: :704: :voll::wein:

Nope, not a hardship at all! Woohoo! PARTY!!!!!

I'm so crazy thinking I can be in to work by noon on Monday.

And I also said she should watch some downloaded clack on my computer. So here's a challenge: If I could only show her ONE performance that I could download to my laptop, what should it be? Suggestions?

Old stuff -- SNL Invisible. That song at its growly best.

New stuff -- Martha version of ATD. That song at its growly best. Plus eyefucks. :D

This article seem to support the idea that the label is no longer goign to pour promo money just because an act or an artist sold so and so millions in the past. They have to be careful with their expenditures, which means they will go for the soft sell rather than try and open up a new market or develop a new sound for an artist. I think this is exactly why Clive went for the cover love song concept for Clay. He knows Clay is good with this in the past...he has a ready audience for it and its not too far from what peopel expect from Clay.

I also think Clay's CD must've met the labels expectations...thus they are bringing out an EP this Christmas. When you consider that cover CDs don't usually sell too well, you have to compare ATDW's performance with Sony-BMGs biggest selling cover artists in the last few years...that would be Rod and Barry...and Clay outsold both of them in the first week even with practically no radio play. I also think that they are probably looking at a bigger profit margin for Clay;s CD so I bet Clay would be exceeding that labels expectations.

The marketplace is no longer the same for recording artists..I really wonder if Clay would;ve gotten a different treatment with another label.

Great points, Ansamcw. Actually, it seems like a lot of artists have been complaining about promotion lately. Janet Jackson's boyfriend has, and more recently, Elton John. I do suspect there's a lot less money to spread around and that many have been feeling the pinch.

To me, anecdotal reports of shortages may be an indication that Clay has exceeded retail expectations. (The idea that the label would deliberately depress sales so Justin could remain #1 always seemed ridiculously spurious.)

Edited by JennaZ

I am getting seriously jealous of you Chicago bitches!

I mean Clack, champagne and Muski too!

Yup, serious jealousy going on here! :glare:

As for Clack - yup Martha would be great, but so would Kimmel! If you showed her everything - interview and all, she would see funny Clay, giggly Clay, adorable Clay, quick witted Clay, snarky Clay and then the concert part - hot looking Clay, eye-fucking Clay, Concert!Clay!!

Yup, I vote for Kimmel.

**Wonders how much a last minute ticket to Chicago would cost...**

Edited by Claygasm

What's your name? : Play from a long ago attempt to sell playbills on e-bay

What's in your iPod (or CD player)? : DUh - well there is Clay Aiken, Oscar Brand (another tenor - oh no!), Chad Mitchell (a-nother tenor???), George Gershwin playing piano and Jaques Brel and other oddities.

What is "your song" at karaoke? :Well - you remember in school how teachers used to walk around during the SSB and tell people to sing - They would come to me and say Mouth the words!

What's your favorite time of day? : 2 AM - I am a creature of the night

What book are you reading right now? : Ceasars dog training - the dog whisperer - he may be good in person, but really - as to those who sleep with their animals - Well at the beach they get sand in your bed! Dogs are not like cats, they actually need a firm hand.

What's your favorite website? : What happens in I name another board?

What's your favorite old movie (DVD)? : The producers

What's your favorite current movie? : Have not seen any current movies Must get a life, my friends all meet for dinner or lunch.

What is set on your television DVR? : No DVR, but Top Chef, Right now, that is the only one I seem to catch every week - might have been TAR, but I miss it each and every week.

If you weren't in show business, what other career would you consider? : Let's say if I wasn't in project management - I would like to be in research.

What is the strangest job you've ever held? : All of them? I had the worst ability to chose a job.Maybe long ago when I ws hired as a consultant to the board of directors of ATT and becuse they did not want their employees to have certain information and I used to write on demand programs like how many miles of phone lines do they have. Or when I worked at the service bureau that got raided for drug sales - they came in with flack jackets and rifles drawn - they let me out because I was obviously not part of this drug ring and their warrent was for men not women - out on a techincallity.

What was the exact moment you became an adult? : When my mother-in-law asked me to hold her while she was dying.

If you could trade places with one person for just ten minutes, who would it be? : The president so I could declassify some of those papers.

What was your last purchase? : primer

What's in your carry-on bag? : My laptop

What's under your bed? : Hah! Beanie babies (they are everywhere) and playboys from the 50's - things I have to sell.

What's your guilty pleasure? : Clay Aiken OOOH EW and I have a con-nec-tion

Clack to convert - how many minutes do you have?

Edited by playbiller

What's your name? For some reason when Clay did his first Musikfest concert, I would always say "Muskifest" every time I'd see the word or refer to it. Don't know why...but I just decided that was me. Funny thing, about that time Clay said something about "It's my musk" as an answer to an interviewer's question about why the women were so crazy about him....hee. We have a cunneckshun!

What's in your iPod (or CD player)? : Somebody's filled my mini with a freckled guy's music...go figure. Also have Bonnie Raitt, some of Carrie Underwood's CD, George Michael's "Faith", a couple of Christina Aguilera's songs from her newest CD, a number of classics from Heart, Linda Ronstadt and Bette Midler, a few Marshall Tucker, Little Feat and Outlaws; Dan Fogleberg and Tim Weisman, a few tracks from my 15-year-old's iPod library (dont' know all the groups' names :unsure: ), James Taylor (love the quality of his voice), Manhattan Transfer, a few old Chicago songs, a couple Kelly Clarkson tracks, some Sting...

but mostly Clay

What is "your song" at karaoke? :Actually,you may be sorry you asked! hee. I've sung professionally and so am usually not afraid of the karaoke mic...heh. Favorites in the past have been Bette Midler's version of "Do You Wanna Dance", then "Fever" a la Peggy Lee. I've done a little justice to Proud Mary in my day... :ph34r:

What's your favorite time of day? :Huh? Don't you have your very own Clay Aiken watchface with a different pic of the man at the places where numbers are? Of course, I'm sure you can imagine what kind of Clay pic I have at the 12 mark...heh. B)

What book are you reading right now? : This is truly embarrassing. I used to DEVOUR books, but I swear the last complete book I read (other than fanfic by a couple of fave writers at EAYOR ;) ) was The Kite Runner. Guess why I chose that one. Go ahead. I'll give you one guess..

What's your favorite website? : I refuse to answer on the grounds that it's my right as a citizen of this great country to refuse to answer.

What's your favorite old movie (DVD)? : Love "Singin' in the Rain" and "To Kill a Mockingbird"

What's your favorite current movie? : Here's where my age comes into play, I do believe. I'll see a movie, really like it. Then life interrupts and later I'll be damned if I can think of a single freakin' title! :blink:

What is set on your television DVR? : No DVR, no need. I wait for Clack.

If you weren't in show business, what other career would you consider? : And independently wealthy writer able to travel first class at the drop of the hat, having made all kinds of $$$ and lifetime security by selling record-breaking numbers of very tasteful, yet quite erotic fiction. ^_^

What is the strangest job you've ever held? :One summer between college years I was a tester at a foam rubber factory. They made the foam in car upholstery and I'd sit in a little room and time how long it took a specific grade/density/batch etc. of rectangular, random pieces of foam to burn. :blink:

Longest summer of my life.

What was the exact moment you became an adult? : Don't exactly remember the time this 'happened', but it was when I embraced the Serenity Prayer as the only way to live and truly enjoy the experience.

If you could trade places with one person for just ten minutes, who would it be? : I'm with whoever said earlier that she wants to be the woman who's been putting the satisfied, contented and mischievous look on the man's face lately. (pant, pant, drool, drool)

What was your last purchase? : I actually paid for another download of ATDW my first night here in the hotel when I realized that I'd begun rebuilding my iTunes library that had "Gone with the Wind and with the asshole who stole my other laptop during my traumatic Kimmel adventure :angry: on my home computer and not my new used laptop!

What's in your carry-on bag? : My laptop, what little money I take, my i.d., some bubble gum, a stupid, sometimes shamefully trashy magazine a la In Touch, etc. heh..and my imagination. That last one sometimes causes the security team to pull me aside for a personal search when I go through the checkpoint. :ph34r:

What's under your bed? : Clay Aiken...until my husband leaves for work each morning, heh, and then he gets on top. (Just kidding, of course. I LUB my husband. Just ask CG.... )

What's your guilty pleasure? uh....that I don't feel guilty about writing CA fanfic?

Well, that's not as groovy as the earlier LOST LIST of answers...but it'll have to do. The work day is finally done---7 am to 9 pm today...a little shorter than yesterday. Tomorrow our closing session is over at 5:30, then it's packing and shipping and then the staff goes out to dinner...Small program from 7-1 on Sunday and then it's.......

PLAYTIME, Bay-BEE! ...or as Clay seems to like to say recently in his singing, 'beh-beh' and I swoon every freakin' time I hear him call MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! that....

night, all! Wish all of you could join ldyjocelyn Sunday!