All About Clay Gabfest: Favorite Clay Flubs

Ansamcw

Another is the very last show of the JBT, Clay was climbing back up on the stage to sing "Ain't No Mountain High" with Angela and made this...noise. A deep, heartful groan. And then commented in an exasperated tone, "These pants are TIGHT." And yes, they were. And I loved them clearly much more than he.

I remember this! And when he said that, the audience cheered! And he gave one of those patented looks like he thought we were crazy!!! :lol:

I wish someone could find the Dallas one! I never saw that one!!

Another...not really a flub but from Idol when he asked Ryan if he was available to play Clay..so it had kind of a double meaning if you went there..and some folks really ran with it. He was so embarassed though..such a cutie.

oh yeah I remember this...and what made this extra interesting is because we really didn't know him well yet. I really was embarrassed for him cos I didn;t know if he would get what he said wrong. Now..i know how snarky he is, I think if he was not in a competition setting he would've said soemthign snarky back.

A link to the Dallas one is in playbiller post - it is seriously fuzzy but I love it.

Now, another powerful favorite of mine is St Louis Clay Dance by jlk1982. I am trying to upload it to YouTube as we type...

I guess we can't count all the Chicago mishaps as a Clay flub either - that was stuff he just goes with the flow. I think one of the reasons I had a hard time finding things, although I knew there were plenty of flubs was how well Clay covers. He just goes with the flow.

In that vein, I bring you Clay explaining what was inhis mind during Vincent.

Sniff...Vincent is truly one of my favorite moments in this fandom. It was not fun...it was kind of heartbreaking. But it was a very significant moment for me.

Vincent has been a favorite of mine since I was a little girl. When I heard he picked that song...I was thrilled but I also knew that it was the wrong song for him to sing on final three.

I knew he made a mistake right away and I was hearbroken..then when he missed the cue and he just stopped...my heart stopped. But he continued on and finished that song in the most wonderful way possible. Now it is one of my favorite version of that song ever.

I loved how he faced the zero trio and with such dignity and accepted their criticism. At the time I didn't know how unfair it was...but later on when we heard the whole story, my opinion of Clay just rose another level. He didn't make excuses even when he knew it wasn't really his fault he just said he will do better next time and he certainly did.

Then when we heard about his sister's suicide...that song became more powerful and significant for me. No wonder he had such trouble with it...this is one song I hope Clay will be able to sing in full some time in the future.

Oh freak, trying to figure out a quick way to put up clips - my very favorite flub of all time and we didn't get a good video of it anyway - during the IT tour in Dallas, Clay is finishing Open Arms with Kelly and one of those wildly windmilling arm flailing everywhere pratfalls, immediately bounces up like a freakin jack-in-the-box, and bows. I swear, it was just like when my cat messes up, "yep, I meant to do that!"

OMG I love the recaps of this...yes the video was very fuzzy but it was great. I loved the quick way he jumped up.

I am so behind at this point...but did someone mention another really funny Open arms...when he came out with hair all crazy and messed up. We were all so perplexed cos it couldn;t have been deliberate yet Clay was singing like there was nothing weird about his hair...then apparently Clay was having a massage backstage and didn't have a clue how messy hi shair was...

that always gave me such naughty thoughts...

so who knows which IT this was?

Oh freak, trying to figure out a quick way to put up clips - my very favorite flub of all time and we didn't get a good video of it anyway - during the IT tour in Dallas, Clay is finishing Open Arms with Kelly and one of those wildly windmilling arm flailing everywhere pratfalls, immediately bounces up like a freakin jack-in-the-box, and bows. I swear, it was just like when my cat messes up, "yep, I meant to do that!"

heee I remember that Karen...sorry I'm in and out ...I've been dealing with this since this morning...and suddenly she wants to play.

post-3-1162694124_thumb.jpg

ETA cuz really didn't need to answer her twice

Oh she is too cute!!! I had my own distractions...but it was Battlestar Galactica...but its all done so I can give this my full attention.

I also had to watch the clips in full so great to reminisce...

I guess we can't count all the Chicago mishaps as a Clay flub either - that was stuff he just goes with the flow. I think one of the reasons I had a hard time finding things, although I knew there were plenty of flubs was how well Clay covers. He just goes with the flow.

In that vein, I bring you Clay explaining what was inhis mind during Vincent.

Sniff...Vincent is truly one of my favorite moments in this fandom. It was not fun...it was kind of heartbreaking. But it was a very significant moment for me.

Vincent has been a favorite of mine since I was a little girl. When I heard he picked that song...I was thrilled but I also knew that it was the wrong song for him to sing on final three.

I knew he made a mistake right away and I was hearbroken..then when he missed the cue and he just stopped...my heart stopped. But he continued on and finished that song in the most wonderful way possible. Now it is one of my favorite version of that song ever.

I loved how he faced the zero trio and with such dignity and accepted their criticism. At the time I didn't know how unfair it was...but later on when we heard the whole story, my opinion of Clay just rose another level. He didn't make excuses even when he knew it wasn't really his fault he just said he will do better next time and he certainly did.

Then when we heard about his sister's suicide...that song became more powerful and significant for me. No wonder he had such trouble with it...this is one song I hope Clay will be able to sing in full some time in the future.

I had never seen that interview. However, I still do not believe the producers asked him to add a verse to make it longer as part of the evil plot to screw him! I really think they wanted a Clay/Ruben finale. I suspect it had more to do with a timing thing than anything else. Didn't subscribe to the conspiracy theories then anymore than I do now.

And I never thought about the correlation between his sister's suicide and that song......

But you know what? That "flub" is the reason his performance of "Mack the Knife" is one of my very favorite AI2 performances. He sooooooooooo nailed that song and to do that after what had just happened - it was just like WOW!!!

Another is the very last show of the JBT, Clay was climbing back up on the stage to sing "Ain't No Mountain High" with Angela and made this...noise. A deep, heartful groan. And then commented in an exasperated tone, "These pants are TIGHT." And yes, they were. And I loved them clearly much more than he.

Was this AC2? That was another fantastic concert...so many funny quips and he was so relaxed. I know he didn;t sing too much in this song...just let the audience sing...I guess this may be one of the reasons...heh

OMG I love the recaps of this...yes the video was very fuzzy but it was great. I loved the quick way he jumped up.

I am so behind at this point...but did someone mention another really funny Open arms...when he came out with hair all crazy and messed up. We were all so perplexed cos it couldn;t have been deliberate yet Clay was singing like there was nothing weird about his hair...then apparently Clay was having a massage backstage and didn't have a clue how messy hi shair was...

that always gave me such naughty thoughts...

so who knows which IT this was?

Ansa I think I've heard that was from the Las Vegas concert. Clive was there, it was probably his fault.

I've never quite understood the MDYK thing. Is he flubbing the lyrics, or does he just prefer it that way? It doesn't really matter, I love it either way, it's just something I've always wondered about.

I'd forgotten about MDYK..that was another song he either messed up or just changed up the words. It never bothered me in the least because he sang it so beautifully.

In Atlanta, I sat across the ailse from a guy that came just to hear Clay sing this song..and as soon as he heard the first chords, he was a goner. He boo hood through the entire song.

Here you go KAndre - the Scarlett's trip video. Love the laugh. here

just choose play, instead of download.

OMG that is soo funny...and incredibly blurry. great recovery there though...

Geez!! I almost forgot about the gabfest! :o

I remember one flub that I don't think was ever captured on clack (at least I never saw it).

It was the York, PA NAT. We had 4th row seats and couldn't see a thing! The stage was very wide and our seats were at one end but all we had a view of was the equipment that was piled high and shoved off to the sides. That also blocked our view except when he was at the very edge of the stage or up on the high platforms. Oh, and there were no jumbotrons. :glare:

The two songs I could see him best were TITN and Solitaire. During Solitaire he was singing just beautifully when all of a sudden he totally messed up a verse. To be honest, I no longer remember just how he messed it up, but it was so obvious you could literally hear the audience gasp in unison! He got through the rest of the song ok but as I was watching him with my trusty binoculars, he turned around to leave the platform and I witnessed him stomping his foot and his mouth was forming words I know he would not want his Mama to hear (and she was there)! He was so pissed at himself. I know he thought no one could see, and if we hadn't been so far off to the side of the stage and looking though binoculars, we wouldn't have been able to either! I turned to my friend who was watching it as well and said "Did he just say what I think he said?" and she said "That's what I saw!"

It was great! :lol:

hee...too bad you didn't have video on your binoculars. I am not surprised he got pissed with himself ...the NAT solitaire was meant to be very dramatic and that would certainly break the momentum...awww poor guy. How I wish he was miked at the time...would love to hear Clay curse...hee