All About Clay Gabfest: Favorite Clay Flubs

Ansamcw

Thanks!

Loved watching all the old vids. There is a part of me that kind of feels bad that he isn't in those large venues anymore. He looks like he really loved it. Maybe he will once again, if that's what he wants. I guess whenever he is in Raleigh he will always fill the venues. The JNT 05 was fantastic and filled to the roof.

I just hope he gets the artistic credit he deserves.

I've always thought clay was running away with AI2 and everything they did was to make it a tighter race... I bet they were truly surprised, although not unhappy, when Ruben won. I chalk that up to the whole..what the hell do we do with him thing.

I agree, whatever screwing up they did wasn't to make Clay lose but to make a tighter race. Who knew the phone lines...his very popularity was what would lead to his losing. I always thought that it was fate or a higher power that knew it would be better if he didn't win. With the Vincident...I doubt if the producers were that cagey. I'm sure they didnt make the situation any easier for him btu I also bet they didn't think he would make such a big flub. I do believe the ET coverage was a deliberate attempt to make Clay lose some votes though.

Hey -- hubby time done! Hee.

Actually, I'm going to go to bed soon...but had to add the clip with the bad hair. I mean really bad hair. This isn't the clip I really remember seeing way back when, but it'll do.

hee that was bad but I don't think this was the massage hair...that was really bizarre it came clsoe to the TIna turner wig hair.

The mic drop -- I want to say that was a Nashville or Louisville NAT show. I'm pretty sure HeidiHo was the videographer, so that limits it to the geographic area, if I remember correctly. Can someone find that? I'd love to see that again...it was a short clip, during STO.

Well we better get the clip from Heidi..I can't quite picture it but would love to preserve that moment.

I've always thought clay was running away with AI2 and everything they did was to make it a tighter race... I bet they were truly surprised, although not unhappy, when Ruben won. I chalk that up to the whole..what the hell do we do with him thing.

I agree, whatever screwing up they did wasn't to make Clay lose but to make a tighter race. Who knew the phone lines...his very popularity was what would lead to his losing. I always thought that it was fate or a higher power that knew it would be better if he didn't win. With the Vincident...I doubt if the producers were that cagey. I'm sure they didnt make the situation any easier for him btu I also bet they didn't think he would make such a big flub. I do believe the ET coverage was a deliberate attempt to make Clay lose some votes though.

But the ET coverage was after the phone lines closed so it didn't affect he outcome and by the next week, who cared? I really think the vast majority of those who watch and vote in AI aren't all that invested in any of them and just vote for who they liked better on any one night.

As for the lack of phone lines - I don't blame the producers for that either. It was only season 2 and they only had the AI1 finale to go by. I am sure they were shocked how many voted during the AI2 finale. They added more lines after that year.

Its interesting that some thought Clay was running away with AI2. I always thought Ruben was running away with it. It wasn't until about the final 4 that I thought Clay had at least pulled even with Ruben in popularity. I wasn't that invested in Clay then, and I liked Ruben a lot, so maybe that is why my perspective was different.

Oh but I remember Clive looked so impressed watching that concert and some fans talked to him and he was very happy with Clay's performance. I woudn;t be surprised if this was when he first realized how great Clay was at reinterpreting pop classics...so maybe we should all blame the ATDW concept on IT acoustic and WDC...hee

yeah I had a birds eye view of Clive that night... too bad I didn't do away with him that night...heh..thing of all the drama I could have saved...of course I'd be doing 60 -100 with no possibility of parole.

BWAH ....maybe you can just get a time machine and change history...HEH...

NOOOO...then we wouldn't have ATDW!!!!!v Stop that...couchie..stop giving people Ideas!!!!! :D

I'm sure I mentioned that Atlanta story in my wrap up or blog or something..and I know heidi did..as we were seatmates. The guy was gay and he also wanted to debacle Clay..and we spent the intermission trying to figure out how we would get past Jerome. And he had the most beautiful softest looking coat I ever saw in my life..hee.

who was trying to figure it out...you and heidi? or you and this guy...hee!!!

I found the NY TFN flub here:

He ended up getting a standing ovation!

ETA: I love it at the end when he's trying so hard not to laugh and break character!! His face is priceless! :lol:

Thank so much for this...GAH his voice was wonderful so full and strong. And he really couldn't keep from laughing in the end...that is just too funny.

I always figured one reason Clay lost was a lot of Kim Locke's votes went to Ruben. I think a lot of her fans may have thought Clay was the one who should have gone that week, after what happened with "Vincent" and all. And that week was perhaps Kim's best. So I thought they were mad at Clay for still being there and in retaliation voted for Ruben in the finale, pushing him over the edge.

I bet they thought there was some kind of conspiracy, that the votes had been fixed to make sure Clay stayed so the producers could have what they wanted - a Clay/Ruben finale! :lol:

ETA: Isn't it amazing we have so many wonderful memories of Clay in just 3 short years? We really are a very lucky fandom. :)

Edited by Claygasm

This has been fun, in reality, I don't think he flubs that much. When you consider the number of concerts and songs he's done over the past 3 years. The flubs have left us with some great clack and great memories. I didn't go to the AI2 show, I wish I had. Couchie, that WB clip of Invisible, it really shows how much he has grown as a performer, doesn't it. The AI clips I have seen, sure show who the star of the show was.

Yup you are right...I don't think he flubs more than the average performer...its just that his flubs are sooo memorable...cos he makes them so entertaining that we tend to hold on to them in our memory. Also, the close internet community ends up immortalizing every moment by recaps and by clack...that we don't forget easily.

People want him to change Angela and Quiana! Blasphemy!!! Theyre a family!

I know many are still mad at Jacob for whatever went down and caused him to get fired/leave, but I even miss him!

I want Clay to get another male back-up singer before he tours with ATDW (if he does because I hear Clive/RCA is undermining his plans for this too... ;) ), but get rid of A & Q?? No way!

I wish all these priceless gems could be catalogued! I am sure the Smithsonian will want them one day.....

Oh for sure...I love the tour family Clay has created. I just wish that if ever Q and A leave its because they have better opportunities and they come visit him and us once in a while.

I know he also hated to lose Jacob. I also don't have any animosity for the guy. He sang beautifully with clay...he was a great entertainer and a good sport on stage. I really never paid attention to gossip about him and fans because so much of it is hearsay and seen through certain fitlers...but I wouldn;t be surprised if he ends up joining the family again in the future.

YUP he does need a male back up...it gives a fuller sounds.

But the ET coverage was after the phone lines closed so it didn't affect he outcome and by the next week, who cared? I really think the vast majority of those who watch and vote in AI aren't all that invested in any of them and just vote for who they liked better on any one night.

I don;t think they were really trying to control the vote...just the perception in the media...cos as long as people think that Ruben was more popular or as popular as Clay...we have a close race...the higher the interest in the show.

As for the lack of phone lines - I don't blame the producers for that either. It was only season 2 and they only had the AI1 finale to go by. I am sure they were shocked how many voted during the AI2 finale. They added more lines after that year.

I would agree except that the lack of phone lines for Clay was obvious even before final 2. I remember it was after the 60's episode when I noticed how much busy signal was being reported on the baords. I do believe it was this time when he really ran away with the show. I believe they knew that a lot of Clay's votes were going nowhere since the lines do not have the ability to handle all his calls...but they didn't add lines. I think the adding of the extra hour of voting actually helped Ruben because it enabled him to catch up to the total of Clay. Again...i don't think they were really trying to make Clay lose....they just wanted a clsoer outcome.

Its interesting that some thought Clay was running away with AI2. I always thought Ruben was running away with it. It wasn't until about the final 4 that I thought Clay had at least pulled even with Ruben in popularity. I wasn't that invested in Clay then, and I liked Ruben a lot, so maybe that is why my perspective was different.
I always liked Ruben, I think if it were not for Clay, I do believe he deserved to win. But even when you make an objective measure of the level of interest between Clay and Ruben on line it was very obvious that Clay's popularity was much bigger than Ruben's...however...it was the way the show manipulated the perception in the media through ET and the print media coverage that perpetuated the impression that Ruben was ahead. But by all measures...his online activity...the signs in the audience and the fan mail Clay got... I could see that Clay must've been ahead in the votes..

I disagree, about Ruben deserving to win, I think that there were some days he was off, just off, towards the end. I am not sure who deserved to win, after Clay it was close. I do think that Trenyce deserved to keep hre finger tapping in place and stay longer thatn Josh, not withstanding his nice career niche right now.

The Et video and all the "Clay not remembering the words" comments played out all week that week. I really do need to get my video - they used the worse looking pictures of Clay and only discussed what he did wrong, not all the things that he did right as well, like completely flooring that audience on UM.

As a person, Ruben certainly was a food friend to a lot of people on the show. I never disliked him, but I did dislike a few of his fans.

Now, I have to admit I took a swipe at someone on the boards tonight. How could I resist when they were talking about Clay needing a video. We had insider information about that.

Edited by playbiller

I see I finally caught up....

I truly enjoyed the conversation tonight...thank you all for participating.

Feel free to continue discussing and posting on this thread. this is an interesting topic and two hours was not enough.

I will post about our next Gabfest. watch the Clay parties forums for another poll on the next Gabfest topic.

I will schedule it for the next week after the MCWL listening parties.

thanks again for all the wonderful clips and sharing the memories.

GAH two hours fly fast when the topic is Clay.

Till next time...good night

I disagree, about Ruben deserving to win, I think that there were some days he was off, just off, towards the end. I am not sure who deserved to win, after Clay it was close. I do think that Trenyce deserved to keep hre finger tapping in place and stay longer thatn Josh, not withstanding his nice career niche right now.

I agree Trenyce deserved to be in top four...but I thought it was Josh that stayed longer than he should. I think the final three were the right ones.

Now, I have to admit I took a swipe at someone on the boards tonight. How could I resist when they were talking about Clay needing a video. We had insider information about that.

very intriguing...will I have to check around to figure this out...heh

I don;t think they were really trying to control the vote...just the perception in the media...cos as long as people think that Ruben was more popular or as popular as Clay...we have a close race...the higher the interest in the show.

I would agree except that the lack of phone lines for Clay was obvious even before final 2. I remember it was after the 60's episode when I noticed how much busy signal was being reported on the baords. I do believe it was this time when he really ran away with the show. I believe they knew that a lot of Clay's votes were going nowhere since the lines do not have the ability to handle all his calls...but they didn't add lines. I think the adding of the extra hour of voting actually helped Ruben because it enabled him to catch up to the total of Clay. Again...i don't think they were really trying to make Clay lose....they just wanted a clsoer outcome.

I always liked Ruben, I think if it were not for Clay, I do believe he deserved to win. But even when you make an objective measure of the level of interest between Clay and Ruben on line it was very obvious that Clay's popularity was much bigger than Ruben's...however...it was the way the show manipulated the perception in the media through ET and the print media coverage that perpetuated the impression that Ruben was ahead. But by all measures...his online activity...the signs in the audience and the fan mail Clay got... I could see that Clay must've been ahead in the votes..

But don't you think the online community was only a very small portion of the viewing/voting audience?

As for the phone lines - I never had any trouble getting through to vote for Clay, not in any of the weeks, including the finale. I voted about 20 times for Clay that night and then stopped before they closed the lines down because I was tired of voting! I know - bad fan - but I wasn't obsessed then!

Maybe it depended on where you were calling from. I don't know, but I was always shocked when I read what problems people had voting for Clay. It was no big deal for me. I got some busy signals but I also got through a lot.

I don't know. Maybe I am naive, but I don't think the producers can manipulate things like that. If they could, I doubt Taylor would have won this year or that Chris would have been voted off when he was. I also don't think Simon has as much influence of the viewing audience as some (including Simon I suspect) think he does. I just think most who watch AI are capable of choosing their favorite based on who they like - not on who Simon likes or dislikes.

Well I think what convinced me was the report about his fanmails...he was undoubtedly getting so much more than the others. I agree it was all speculation...but the producers of AI did admit to this recently.

Again...I think they only tried to control the perception that Ruben is just as popular...it was pretty obvious there was a bias in the way the media was handled. The busy signal was truly very widely reported. Of course not everyone ahd the problem but I think a huge number did.

Anyway...this is one of those things we will only know for sure once someone on AI like Nigel decides to write a book.

Well I think what convinced me was the report about his fanmails...he was undoubtedly getting so much more than the others. I agree it was all speculation...but the producers of AI did admit to this recently.

Again...I think they only tried to control the perception that Ruben is just as popular...it was pretty obvious there was a bias in the way the media was handled. The busy signal was truly very widely reported. Of course not everyone ahd the problem but I think a huge number did.

Anyway...this is one of those things we will only know for sure once someone on AI like Nigel decides to write a book.

Assuming he tells the truth about everything! :lol:

Of course, I don't really care because I don't think Clay would have been nearly as big a deal if he had won. I think the whole story of how close it was and did Clay really win and the fans being so determined to prove Clay should have won by buying MOAM in droves helped elevate him to superstar status much faster than it would have happened otherwise.

I'm just glad he was Mr. Competitive Boy and decided to go down to Atlanta after he was cut in Charlotte. I would hate to think we would have missed out on all he has given us these last 3 years!

And with that I bid you all good night. This was fun. :)

But don't you think the online community was only a very small portion of the viewing/voting audience?

Of course, but there were other things. The bags of mail pouring in for Clay wasn't from just the online community. Trenyce mentioned on Wayne Brady that if it were about popularity Clay would win. Trenyce gets a lot of flack from Clay fans for her honesty about things but she also said that. I believe that Clay was a victim of technology that night..that's it. But there is a perception that there was some kind of dead heat all through the show and I don't think that's the case. That, from the producer's own lips..three years later, but there it was.

And I do think subsequent level of success is a relative objective measure, not just in record sales. A few months after his win on AI, Ruben couldn't fill 600 seats here in SF.

On the other hand, I was surrounded by Ruben fans but they are mostly just AI fans who move on after the show ends. But I actually think most of the fans are like that.

The kid that finished in second but outshone the winner was a good story and I do think it kinda propelled him though. However, losing also made things so much harder for him in other circles.

oh we get to talk about Trenyce? I like to talk about her, she is such a complex issue with AI.

Of al lthe people on AI2, I think she was the one that consistantly got over the top insults. I got the feeling that they felt she had taken Kim Caldwell's spot. Tact was not one of her traits and I think that was what caused the hostility with the backstage people. Brutal honesty probably caused her problem with management. There were so many nasty slurs said about her, I can't believe that there was not a little bit of planning in it.

Anyway, she seemed to get along fine with the other idols. I know she said tactless things about Clay fans, but they can be tactless as well. I know that a lot of the idols were rubbed the wrong way on the AI tour. It has to hurt to have to see the fan reaction on the tour. I met a fan of hers in New Jersey and she said Trenyce loved Clay. I think Trenyce had said Clay fans were crazy and instead of the fans embracing it, they tended to get mad.

When it came to Corey, I might believe some of his stuff, but certainly not support his way of going about revealing stuff. It was funny when the defense came - that AI used Clay (the AI go to guy). The only other person to use who would be out of the loop was Josh - since they slept over the garage, and not in the house like the others. While Corey's roommates - Rickey and Ruben never said nothin'! As far as the woman discussing it - AI uses Carmen for defense - who is probably the only woman in the house totally out of the loop, seeing that she spent all her time with a chaperone.

I have no idea what concert it was, but I do remember seeing clips of Clay dropping his microphone during a song, then quickly picking it up. He was holding it funny when he grabbed it, but kept on singing.

Oh I remember hearing about this...what tour was it? NAT? JBT?

I was wrong about the videographer -- it was artquest, and here's the clip! (photobucket movie -- if people want it to save, PM me and I'll put up a yousendit...) Lexington NAT. The mic drop happens at the end. It's almost a "blink and you could miss it" kind of thing.

Even in Star of Bethlehem...didn't he kinda screw up something and the girls smiled and kept on singing. They work so well together..I just love the comfort level which is why I'm not one to call for a change.

Yes, Clay messed that mess up during BSOB. I'm still amazed he made it through that one...between the laughter for the mess up and the tears for singing for his Grandfather.

This has been fun, in reality, I don't think he flubs that much. When you consider the number of concerts and songs he's done over the past 3 years. The flubs have left us with some great clack and great memories. I didn't go to the AI2 show, I wish I had. Couchie, that WB clip of Invisible, it really shows how much he has grown as a performer, doesn't it. The AI clips I have seen, sure show who the star of the show was.

As Ansa said, I think a lot of this is because the fans tend to catalog and obsess about everything Clay Aiken, especially when it comes to clack. It seems to be the way the fandom is programmed.

Isn't it amazing we have so many wonderful memories of Clay in just 3 short years? We really are a very lucky fandom. :)

Amen.

Lots of talk about AI and voting. I'm actually like claygasm in that I managed to get quite a few votes in for Clay (about 15, which sounds to be pretty good), and quit before the time was up. (claygasm, would you like a Cheez Doodle? Because I think we're going to be sent to the "bad fan" corner pretty soon. *g*) And while I think the media produced some manipulation, I just can't get upset over it, especially in hindsight. Clay really was able to play off that "almost the king" status, and I do think it helped him a great deal.