ATDW Listening Party, Take 2!

ldyjocelyn

Favorite ATDW song from the last half of the album  

15 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite ATDW song from these selections?

• Everything I Do (I Do It for You)
    • Because You Loved Me
    • I Want to Know What Love Is
    • These Open Arms
    • Here You Come Again
    • Everything I Have
    • Broken Wings
    • If You Don't Know Me By Now

I also think there is a little too much going on in this song for me with the poetry, the urgency, the whole shebang *

*not even going to pretend this is a musical term.

heee...but that's what i love about it... i can listen to it so much because i can concentrate on different aspects of the song. to me all the parts just fit so perfectly together....

i'm even intrigued by the tempo..does it seem to change in the middle or is that just me.

She bang! She bang!

Sorry.

hangs head in shame

Hey, I didn't dis YOUR EIH love..... <_<

so....actually, I LIKE the high, breathy voice.... :unsure: I find myself trying to sing her part....

until, of course, he sings that TAAAKKKKE and then I'm all about listening to Clay...

Actually its the layers in this song that truly appeals to me.

His voice is really fantastic here. I guess its because he can sing this with full voice...and he can really wail ...

at first I thought the production was more than his vocal performance ...but then we hit the final one third of the song...

right after that long TAAAAAKKE....he just let it go...there were section where his voice seems so solid and strong...

I ADORE this song.

When I first listened to ATDW (pre-LAA and IYDKMBN), I was overall not thrilled. (By the way, I too was a virgin for this album) Then came BW. I was mesmerized.

This song to me was the first time I saw Clay spreading his artistic wings - and I was thrilled to learn later this was his idea.

This song is pure artistry. I liked the original a lot. Now I can't even remember what it sounded like.

Clay's voice is amazing on this, from start to finish. His emotion on the song is perfect. Not over the top, but just perfect. Listen to how he sings "I need you so".

Perfect.

The poetry - its beautiful, heart-wrenching, poignant.

The ethereal background vocal. Makes me almost see birds flying into the far reaches of the sky.

The instrumentals are perfect. Not a single string too many. The way the song builds.

Perfect.

This is the most amazing and beautiful arrangement.

I love this song on soooooooo many levels.

I just hope if they do it in concert, they do it with a taped backing track. I cannot imagine either Q or A lending that ethereal quality to the background vocal and that is so key to the arrangement. And I also cannot imagine either reading the poem.

couchie wrote:

i'm even intrigued by the tempo..does it seem to change in the middle or is that just me.

No, the tempo doesn't change, IMO -- but the instrumentation, and the percussion, really fills out in the second half of the song. It makes for an interesting contrast, no?

I LOVE knowing that it was Clay's direction that drove this song....and I agree with someone (can't remember who posted it) who said he should have had production credit for this song.

I like the way he builds the intensity ....it's so laid back at first, but yeah, couchie...he does get faster (muski takes a moment) and his voice becomes more intense and full....it swells....gets fuller or more forceful or....

uh....

excuse me.....

I agree claygasm..don't know how they are going to do this one in concert...at all. it will be interesting..and different.

I LOVE knowing that it was Clay's direction that drove this song....and I agree with someone (can't remember who posted it) who said he should have had production credit for this song.

I like the way he builds the intensity ....it's so laid back at first, but yeah, couchie...he does get faster (muski takes a moment) and his voice becomes more intense and full....it swells....gets fuller or more forceful or....

uh....

excuse me.....

i think you need more than one.

Concert Clay for this one will be interesting. I think it will be a pretaped backing with the poetry...and maybe it will even feature a visual of the the poetress (what is her name again?) reciting the poetry. That would be way cool.

Sorry couchie, but rules are rules. :P

If You Don’t Know Me By Now

This is that part of the fandom that I love - we are all such different people with such different tastes and response. I knew that some people would not liek the album, I guess I did not expect some people to be so angry they did not like it.

Anyway, here are a lot of different favorite songs here - something for everyone, or almost everyone. Clay did good.

Oh, is Muski bogarting the booze? Pass it around girl.

uh....

excuse me.....

:lol::lol::lol: You all are so funny. So is "Waldo" (the kitty I mean) :lol:

The first time I heard this song? Not impressed. I didn't get it....I think it was simply because I was dead tired, and had finally gotten the song to download. But about 2 weeks ago, I listened to this one again...and then again, and again...and I love this one now. His soul shows.

And his wailing on the end is outstanding!

he is pure sex in this song---his voice, the feeling, the breaks in his voice...the breathing GOD THE BREATHING and grunting in this line:

"We all got...our own funny moods....I got mine, woman you got yours too"

pure "Get over here, woman and let me make sweet, long, deep, earthshattering love to you."

that is all

You know Muski always bogart the booze!

Now, this is why I love Clay singin' some soul - EIH and BW are beautiful in their perfection...but Clay singing this (and When A Man Loves A WOMan) - he's singing from his soul, it's so organic he lets himself play with it - he'll never sing it the same way twice...

oopS!