#4-Everything is mucho-good-o

Ansamcw

Playbiller don't worry about it. This person would probably not been happy if he had answered all 40 of her questions. Just as some fans are never happy. I think 40 questions is a lot to expect any celebrity to answer. You rarely ever see that many asked in any interview. I don't care if they were questions from fans or not. I'm sure Clay felt he had answered a fair amount. This, I don't like Clay anymore, what do you think, do you still like Clay, don't you think he's gotten too big for his britches? Puleese, as a matter of fact I do think he has gotten too big for his britches, I happen to like him that way. Good lord.....

Oh, and I wasn't referring to his ego.

Edited by atinal

Well, I thought the questions Clay answered were great, so I'm bringing them over here without the link.

MediaFiends.com: Out of all the love songs ever made, why did you choose those 10? Did you consider which songs would best showcase your voice, or was there another reason? Was it a conscious decision to only include slow ballads? If so, whose choice was that and why?

CLAY: We really made it a collaborative effort. Clive chose songs; I chose songs; Jaymes chose songs. Then from our three lists we collaborated on the best picks. We really found that we had a great deal of matches on all three lists. Not only did we want to pick songs that were excellent copyrights and stellar songs, we also made sure that each song really matched me vocally and stylistically. I mean, "I'm Too Sexy" wa s a big hit.. but seriously.. me singing it wouldn't really fit!

MediaFiends.com: What will the next single be, and will radio stations take requests for it?

CLAY: Hopefully, A Thousand Days will be the next single.

MediaFiends.com: The idea of using poetry on the cd was successful. Who found the Erin Clayton Thomas poem you use in 'Broken Wings' and how did the idea come about to use it in the song?

CLAY: Erin Taylor wrote it herself, sort of for this project. She is a friend of mine. She read it as well

MediaFiends.com: Why was 'A Thousand Days' chosen for the cd instead of 'Tears Run Dry' or 'Back for More', when the feedback on the others was so positive?

CLAY: The album was meant to be full of love songs. A Thousand Days was the only one of those three that has a love song feel. So in keeping with the theme, we chose it.

MediaFiends.com: Why did the cd of original songs get discarded in favor of covers?

CLAY: It wasn't our intention to do it this way. But we started noticing that so many of the greatest songs we were finding were cover songs. Clive made the suggestion and thought it would be a great idea to remake the greatest love songs of all time. When Clive Davis has an idea you have to assume its going to be great. So we listened to him and gave it a shot.

MediaFiends.com: Do you have any plans to add male backup singers?

CLAY: Not right now

MediaFiends.com: You must know that people are raving about 'Lover All Alone' and are so disappointed it was not included in the cd. Is there any chance that it will be released as part of a double sided cd single?

CLAY: Again, we chose not to include that song on the album because it didn't fit the concept of the album. We wanted to maintain the "love" theme, and so a song about being lonely and alone wouldn't really fit. I am not sure what any future plans for the song might be. It is an exclusive for iTunes now. I'm not sure how long that lasts, or if anything can be done with it afterwards.

MediaFiends.com: In terms of the songwriting process, what inspires you? Do you write the entire song at once, or in stages? Have you ever written your own music as well as lyrics? How did the collaborative process work for 'Lover All Alone'? We know that David provided the music and you wrote the lyrics. What was Eman's role? Since the end result was so well received, do you think you will work with David and Eman again?

CLAY: David Foster wrote the music for the song in early May and gave it to me with the instruction that I should write some lyrics for it. I had never really written before, and Jaymes had been trying for a while to get me to write. I sat on the music for three months before I had any idea about what to write about. Then when it came it came. I finished the lyrics to the whole song in about 3 hours. Eman made some significant changes in the music when he produced it, so David and I both felt that he should get credit for writing on the song. I'm not sure what my songwriting future holds. Again, I like to be open to what comes my way, and not force anything.

{{{{{{{{{{{playbiller}}}}}}}}}}}}}

I read that "interview" last night before going to bed, and didn't even place it with you pointing us in the direction of submitting questions. Please don't beat yourself up over it.

The "inteview" itself was quite interesting and illuminating. I'm glad to hear a little more about LAA, and, once again, he talks about the collaborating between him, Jaymes, and Clive.

The questions he didn't answer would have been interesting for him to discuss. But this is one more thing that I just don't know WHY he didn't answer (time factor? didn't like the "tone" of some of the questions?), nor do I really care.

Ah well, it looks like it will be another interesting day in the fandom.

And WHY do people who end up not liking Clay continue to follow his every move and his career? I will never understand.

MCWL listening party -- it may be postponed for a week. More forthcoming!

I agree with bottle - shocking, eh? - so I'm going to post my response to the questions and answers (and keep in mind, I mentally replace the neutral "MediaFiends.com" with "stupid bitch" - can you tell the difference?):

MediaFiends.com: Out of all the love songs ever made, why did you choose those 10? Did you consider which songs would best showcase your voice, or was there another reason? Was it a conscious decision to only include slow ballads? If so, whose choice was that and why?

CLAY: We really made it a collaborative effort. Clive chose songs; I chose songs; Jaymes chose songs. Then from our three lists we collaborated on the best picks. We really found that we had a great deal of matches on all three lists. Not only did we want to pick songs that were excellent copyrights and stellar songs, we also made sure that each song really matched me vocally and stylistically. I mean, "I'm Too Sexy" wa s a big hit.. but seriously.. me singing it wouldn't really fit!

What the hell? That four freakin' questions poorly disguised as one! And look Clay types "I" instead of "Ah"! He doesn't actually write in dialect! What a notion! Still needs the exclamation points, but I see nothing wrong with that! So the evil dead that is Clive didn't actually shove a list of the world's worst covers and beat Clay until Clay, broken and battered, warbled them out? Clay and Clive and Jaymes (and moi)have some tastes in common? Kewl!

MediaFiends.com: What will the next single be, and will radio stations take requests for it?

CLAY: Hopefully, A Thousand Days will be the next single.

Simple and straightforward. I like it. And clearly, Clay is still in love with the phrase 'spinning balls". He's a disco baby, just like me!

MediaFiends.com: The idea of using poetry on the cd was successful. Who found the Erin Clayton Thomas poem you use in 'Broken Wings' and how did the idea come about to use it in the song?

CLAY: Erin Taylor wrote it herself, sort of for this project. She is a friend of mine. She read it as well.

Two more questions? Chick thinks she's slick, doesn't she? And look, Clay is friends with a poet. How cosmopolitan of him! Clay and I clearly both believe in nepotism (that counts for friends as well as family, right?)

MediaFiends.com: Why was 'A Thousand Days' chosen for the cd instead of 'Tears Run Dry' or 'Back for More', when the feedback on the others was so positive?

CLAY: The album was meant to be full of love songs. A Thousand Days was the only one of those three that has a love song feel. So in keeping with the theme, we chose it.

Shall we go back and look at the negative feedback on TRD and BFM? Because there were lots and lots and LOTS....

MediaFiends.com: Why did the cd of original songs get discarded in favor of covers?

CLAY: It wasn't our intention to do it this way. But we started noticing that so many of the greatest songs we were finding were cover songs. Clive made the suggestion and thought it would be a great idea to remake the greatest love songs of all time. When Clive Davis has an idea you have to assume its going to be great. So we listened to him and gave it a shot.

Ooooo look! Clay left out the word "mandate"! We must have new theories!

MediaFiends.com: Do you have any plans to add male backup singers?

CLAY: Not right now

Short and sweet!

MediaFiends.com: You must know that people are raving about 'Lover All Alone' and are so disappointed it was not included in the cd. Is there any chance that it will be released as part of a double sided cd single?

CLAY: Again, we chose not to include that song on the album because it didn't fit the concept of the album. We wanted to maintain the "love" theme, and so a song about being lonely and alone wouldn't really fit. I am not sure what any future plans for the song might be. It is an exclusive for iTunes now. I'm not sure how long that lasts, or if anything can be done with it afterwards.

Is it horrible to be mildly pleased that Clay seems to think about LAA that way I do? That it's an OK song but that's about it?

MediaFiends.com: In terms of the songwriting process, what inspires you? Do you write the entire song at once, or in stages? Have you ever written your own music as well as lyrics? How did the collaborative process work for 'Lover All Alone'? We know that David provided the music and you wrote the lyrics. What was Eman's role? Since the end result was so well received, do you think you will work with David and Eman again?

CLAY: David Foster wrote the music for the song in early May and gave it to me with the instruction that I should write some lyrics for it. I had never really written before, and Jaymes had been trying for a while to get me to write. I sat on the music for three months before I had any idea about what to write about. Then when it came it came. I finished the lyrics to the whole song in about 3 hours. Eman made some significant changes in the music when he produced it, so David and I both felt that he should get credit for writing on the song. I'm not sure what my songwriting future holds. Again, I like to be open to what comes my way, and not force anything.

Six questions. Man, this heifer is not subtle at ALL! I'm sorry, I just don't see that songwriting for himself is something that Clay is all that interested in right now. Sing, Clay! Sing!

Well, darn, I had what I thought was a good post going and lost it. Maybe it wasn't that good after all. Anyway, ldyjocelyn and KAndre sum up my feelings pretty well. I'll probably jump into the discussion this evening. For now, I'm off to paint again.

Yeah, I thought the interview responses added some good information to the mix that we hadn't heard before. I had been very curious about Erin Taylor, and how the poem thing worked out. I'd still like to hear more about that. The cover choice thing is pretty much the story Clay has been telling all along. The male backup answer was to the point, and I actually hope Clay does add a male backup again for an ATDW Tour, because I think it would make the vocal mix a little deeper and richer. The "Lover All Alone" stuff was the most interesting, since much of that was new information. I happen to agree; I don't think the song, along with "If You Don't Know Me By Now", doesn't necessarily fit the tone or sound of the rest of the album. And if the timing of when Clay actually finished the lyrics was accurate, it was probably too late to include anyway.

In fact, I liked the LAA response so much, I'm posting it again. For me, it made the whole read very worthwhile.

Edited by bottlecap

What the hell? That four freakin' questions poorly disguised as one! And look Clay types "I" instead of "Ah"! He doesn't actually write in dialect! What a notion! Still needs the exclamation points, but I see nothing wrong with that! So the evil dead that is Clive didn't actually shove a list of the world's worst covers and beat Clay until Clay, broken and battered, warbled them out? Clay and Clive and Jaymes (and moi)have some tastes in common? Kewl!

Hee, this gave me my first laugh of the day. Thank you!

I'm a little confused about his answers to the BW question, though. Didn't we think that the poet was actually dead? Obviously we were way wrong about that. I think it's neat that the poem was "sort of" written for the album. I wonder whether he got the title ATDW from the poem, or the poet got it from him.

Edited by luckiest1

I'm a little confused about his answers to the BW question, though. Didn't we think that the poet was actually dead? Obviously we were way wrong about that. I think it's neat that the poem was "sort of" written for the album. I wonder whether he got the title ATDW from the poem, or the poet got it from him.

I think the dead poet idea is based on a combination of fan-wanking and google searches. If you search for Erin Taylor and poetry, you get references to some dead southern chick. For some reason, it kind of got passed around and accepted as fact that that was the "Erin Taylor" on the record. To my ears, the person reading the poetry sounds very much alive, and sounds twenty-something, if I had to guess. And since she gets recording credit and thanks in the liner notes, the dead thing doesn't actually make a ton of sense. "A friend of Clay's" makes more sense to me. Not everybody is readily googleable.

I think the dead poet idea is based on a combination of fan-wanking and google searches. If you search for Erin Taylor and poetry, you get references to some dead southern chick. For some reason, it kind of got passed around and accepted as fact that that was the "Erin Taylor" on the record. To my ears, the person reading the poetry sounds very much alive, and sounds twenty-something, if I had to guess. And since she gets recording credit and thanks in the liner notes, the dead thing doesn't actually make a ton of sense. "A friend of Clay's" makes more sense to me. Not everybody is readily googleable.

Bwah and yup. I'm not going to worry about what he didn't answer because really that was about 60 guised as 40, and I'm sure Clay just laughed at that shit when he saw it. But I did like that answer about LAA. So, just like I thought, Clay does know the difference between this year and last year and that song would not have made the album. I never understood why people kept putting that on some mythical track list. All the wrangling and delays brought about something special. That's one for the artistic side of the scale which I hope people think of as important. He still sounds hesistant about his writing and he needed that kick in the butt he got from David. I do expect more writing from him in the future.

heee..friend of Clive.... btw, I thought she sounded young as well. Surprised that didn't come out yet..did no one write the daughter, the estate, the neighbord, somebody trying to get more info? Maybe we're sane after all.

"Erin Taylor" on the record. To my ears, the person reading the poetry sounds very much alive, and sounds twenty-something, if I had to guess. And since she gets recording credit and thanks in the liner notes, the dead thing doesn't actually make a ton of sense. "A friend of Clay's" makes more sense to me.

I know! I know!

Erin Taylor is really Erin Cates! But she's married now and her last name is Taylor! But she and Clay still have a con-neck-shun and so she wrote this for him and his new CD (and to give her an excuse to hang around him some more) and

...Yeah! Yeah!boobs.gif

....and whiile they were working on the song, Erin told Clay how much she regrets not getting a goodnight kiss after they went to that dance together, that she's heard he's an amazing kisser and she could kick her high-school popular ass for not giving him the signal all those years ago to lay one on her...

...OOOOH!

...and that now....well, now...she'd really like to have that kiss from those pink-shelled, freckle topped beauties Snapshot2006-01-1623-08-22.jpgand while he's at it, he can give her a full body hug so that she can see what all this Waldo stuff is all about! ;)

(Above rumor generation brought to you by MuskiMischiefMaker.com)

And I think the fact he wrote THOSE lyrics so recently should dash all the 'shipper's hopes.

You do not write lyrics like those if you are happily in love. Lyrics like those come from the heart and a deeply personal place. Which is one reason I wonder if we will ever hear that song in concert.

I think I need to buy a 4WD. I live out in the country (just ask Muski...), Its very pretty, but I am at the end of a 1/2 long lane/driveway. A creek runs under it at the end and it floods all the time - enough so my car can't get through. So we're having all this rain this morning and I leave for work and get to the bottom of my lane and there before me is a raging river where my driveway usually is. So, I had to turn around and come back. The rain is letting up some and if it will just stay that way for an hour or so, I may be able to get out of here....

And I think the fact he wrote THOSE lyrics so recently should dash all the 'shipper's hopes.

You do not write lyrics like those if you are happily in love. Lyrics like those come from the heart and a deeply personal place. Which is one reason I wonder if we will ever hear that song in concert.

Aww, CG, now you made me all sniffly.... :em0400: I'm not necessarily a shipper, and I don't think singlehood is a bad thing at all, but if this guy wants a family so badly (as he indicated on the People interview), somebody needs to step up to the plate, so to speak.

Aww, CG, now you made me all sniffly.... :em0400: I'm not necessarily a shipper, and I don't think singlehood is a bad thing at all, but if this guy wants a family so badly (as he indicated on the People interview), somebody needs to step up to the plate, so to speak.

Don't despair. He has plenty of time for the family thing.

And I suspect he would also have MANY volunteers to step up to the plate! B)

I would offer myself, but alas, I think I may be too old for him... :(

I would offer myself, but alas, I think I may be too old for him...

CG! Wash that mouth out right this minute! :angry: Maturity is something I'm SURE Clay will be looking for in his future life companion....

(imcountingonitasitfuelsmyfantasies :unsure: )

Back in the office....and what looms ahead and what needs to tied up from behind is just making me wonder

What's it all about, Alfie? :blink::blink:

Later, dudettes! ^_^

Edited by muskifest

I would offer myself, but alas, I think I may be too old for him...

CG! Wash that mouth out right this minute! :angry: Maturity is something I'm SURE Clay will be looking for in his future life companion....

(imcountingonitasitfuelsmyfantasies :unsure: )

Um, yeah, but what about that pesky "I want to be a fether" thing????

I think that ship has probably sailed here! ^_^

BWAH number 1 for the day! And hey -- I have taste too! Hee.

Yeah, I thought the interview responses added some good information to the mix that we hadn't heard before. I had been very curious about Erin Taylor, and how the poem thing worked out. I'd still like to hear more about that. The cover choice thing is pretty much the story Clay has been telling all along. The male backup answer was to the point, and I actually hope Clay does add a male backup again for an ATDW Tour, because I think it would make the vocal mix a little deeper and richer. The "Lover All Alone" stuff was the most interesting, since much of that was new information. I happen to agree; I don't think the song, along with "If You Don't Know Me By Now", doesn't necessarily fit the tone or sound of the rest of the album. And if the timing of when Clay actually finished the lyrics was accurate, it was probably too late to include anyway.

Yes, the answers he did give were incredibly informative, within reason. ITA with all you've said here.

See, if she was really dead, she'd be a friend of Clive's!

Yes, I know I'm wrong. Bad me!

BWAH number 2! KAndre's on a roll!

Bwah and yup. I'm not going to worry about what he didn't answer because really that was about 60 guised as 40, and I'm sure Clay just laughed at that shit when he saw it. But I did like that answer about LAA. So, just like I thought, Clay does know the difference between this year and last year and that song would not have made the album. I never understood why people kept putting that on some mythical track list. All the wrangling and delays brought about something special. That's one for the artistic side of the scale which I hope people think of as important. He still sounds hesistant about his writing and he needed that kick in the butt he got from David. I do expect more writing from him in the future.

Bolding mine. For me, it's simple -- Clay's name was on it as a writing credit. Think about it -- before we knew about LAA, the most highly anticipated track off ATDW for many people was LNM...because Clay had a hand in writing the song. Then, LAA appears...and he appears to be the sole lyricist. I think that really romanticized the song in many's eyes.

Hesitant about his writing? Yep. I got that confirmed, IMO, with the Yahoo interview, where he didn't want to say which song he'd co-written for fear of criticism. But I'm glad he's getting good feedback with LAA, and I too expect him to come up with more in the future.

heee..friend of Clive.... btw, I thought she sounded young as well. Surprised that didn't come out yet..did no one write the daughter, the estate, the neighbord, somebody trying to get more info? Maybe we're sane after all.

Send out a press release. The fandom is slipping in their investigative skills.

I know! I know!

Erin Taylor is really Erin Cates! But she's married now and her last name is Taylor! But she and Clay still have a con-neck-shun and so she wrote this for him and his new CD (and to give her an excuse to hang around him some more)

BWAH number 3! Although I'm slipping...it took me a few minutes to remember who Erin Cates was....

I think the song is very intimate, and demands an intimate setting with an audience that will STFU when he starts to sing (rather than "I LOVE YOU CLAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!Y" throughout). That right there suggests to me that he won't sing it in concert. Would love to be pleasantly surprised if he does, though.

Claygasm, did you make it work?

what needs to tied up from behind

Did someone say Clay was tied up from behind? That was muski wasn't it? She's so bad. :P

But the idea is pretty darn hawt...

I think the song is very intimate, and demands an intimate setting with an audience that will STFU when he starts to sing (rather than "I LOVE YOU CLAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!Y" throughout). That right there suggests to me that he won't sing it in concert. Would love to be pleasantly surprised if he does, though.

Maybe KAndre needs to renew the "STFU During the Quiet Songs Already You Annoying and Inappropriate Shrieker or I Will Torture and Maim You in Many Cruel and Unusual Ways Before Slowly and Painfully Killing You" initiative that she began for ICMYLM during the JBT.

And since the pod people think ATDW sales aren't sufficient to warrant any touring, dontcha know, concert screaming is probably not going to be a problem. :blink:

This week's sales numbers, via the lovely 43dudleyvillas:

89. Clay Aiken, A Thousand Different Ways: 11,345 (388,890)

Woohoo! That's another great number, IMO. 11,345 people can't be wrong!

All's well is official - not special, but official - it is for sale at Sony Music store with SAMPLES!!!!!

Damn. There goes my virginity again.

OMG, that last "all" in AIW, before the clip cuts off...Good God in heaven, that's a beautiful note. CW isn't one of my favorites, but it's a nice, light, peppy number. Emmanuel? *sigh* Dreamy happy thoughts over that one. And MGUCL sounds fantastic.

Ordered 4 more copies too. *g*