#5 (plus #6 & #7) - "Well....the weather outside is frightful...but the man is so delightful..."

Ansamcw

Okay. If that wasn't enough already to have me sniffling, get this. I told her how amazing everything was---how wonderful that she and her friends had taken the initiative to do something, take a public stand and get involved. I told her how proud I was of her and that I had never done anything like that at her age.

I love hearing about this. It gives me faith in the up and coming generation. It gives me faith that they will be less apathetic and more pro-active. Speaking up, taking a stand CAN make a difference. It seems there has been little of that from young people for so long.

I was a child of the 60's. I grew up watching young people speak up about things they believed in and making a difference. At 14, too young to vote, I went to a rally when then presidential candidate Richard Nixon came to speak. Along with other "kids" my age, high school age, college age, we protested against the Vietnam war with our signs and our chants. I still have my sign. In the end I believe that rally, and many, many, many more like it, did make a difference.

You see so little of that today.

Carrie should be proud. Her friends should be proud. The mother who made the t-shirts should be proud. I hope the good feeling she has will stay with her for a lifetime.

I can only imagine how proud of her you must be muski.

muski, regarding story number 1 -- I totally understand. At least you'll be able to leave this woman, and soon. Unfortunately, I've got a similar situation here at my workplace...and I have to work with this person. She pretty much believes that EVERYONE in our library is not worthwhile, that "you can find everything on the internet." Also, pleasant? Hardly. I think I'm one of the few in the library can get a "hello" out of her. She turns her back on most of the others. All I can do is try to minimize my working with her, and be as pleasant as I can when I do work with her.

Regarding story number two -- I'm hella impressed with your daughter. That is a wonderful and touching thing that she is doing. Heck, I don't have the ability to fight for those kinds of things as an adult -- to have that ability as a teenager is great. Hmmmm....sounds like you have a future Ms. President on your hands.

:woohoo: for the younger generation!

Claygasm, regarding the Clive/Clay feud....

:ruserious:

:cryingwlaughter:

:fooling:

If I screw my face up to make my brain twist into knots, that might make a bit of sense. But since I don't want my face frozen....

I emailed a request for ATD for my local AC station and their All Request Lunch Hour. Got a very nice note back saying that they didn't have the song, all they had was "Invisible," was that OK? Sure -- and I'm listening to it right now! EEEEEEEEEE! I haven't heard that song on my radio in over a year, at least!

But my request for ATD counts for something, right?

muski, my sister was an continuing education event coordinator for UH - she would periodically call me up to explain in detail how she wanted to kill people. I feel your pain.

Yay for Carrie!

As for the term "Claymate" - don't care. Just. Don't. Care. It's better than 'ho' yet not as good as 'your majesty', so it's just a wash.

The only thing I hate with a fiery and unending hate is any 'so-called' humor with Clay as the only person spouting badly written dialect. It is not funny. It is not charming. It is snide and condescending and lazy - if you're going to write dialect, write it for everyone in the damn skit - there is no one in this country who speaks without a regional dialect. Humph. And if you can't get the humor across without it, it wasn't funny to begin with.

Crap! re: another guest on the 14th Kimmel. Then again, Clay will have a hot babe to flirt with, too. :medium-smiley-070: (Oh, and couchie...I DO like that tongue emoticon, but mainly I use it a lot because it's right there on the page as I type and I don't have to go to the rest of them, heh. Lazy 'R Us, fo' sho'!)

CG Gabrielle Union is a gorgeous African-American actress....

Hmmm...our man Clay does seem to enjoy chocolate, doesn't he? Wonder if Gabrielle is a "Clayfrican-American" like Tyra... :P

Edited by muskifest

Damn! I just read that Gabrielle Union (some actress I never heard of) is now going to be on Kimmel on the 14th!

Bummer. When Charles Barkley was gone I thought it just meant more time for Clay!

Source? Because the "Late Night TV Page" still has Clay and a singer named Madeleine Peyroux listed.

Accent -- Clay has an accent? :medium-smiley-070:

KAndre eyes the slinking bottle with suspicion...

Honestly, is "Ah thought Ah was gonna dieh" (and if you was really putting the pronounication out there it's "Ah thowt Ah wuz gonnuh dieh") is that much funnier than "I thought I was gonna die"? Because for me the humor was more the inflection he used than anything else and that just doesn't come across easily in the written word.

I don't mind so much the mimicking during speech, just in the written form just I hate it (not just for Southerners but for black, hispanic, asian, French or whatever) - if someone writes dialect for one character, unless it's vitally important to the plot, I will scroll, put it down, not buy and definitely not read anymore of it. It just says to me, that someone thinks you sound funny. And in a definite "I'm laughing at your ass" way. Just one of my bugaboos.

Gabrielle Union? She's cute.

Damn! I just read that Gabrielle Union (some actress I never heard of) is now going to be on Kimmel on the 14th!

Bummer. When Charles Barkley was gone I thought it just meant more time for Clay!

Source? Because the "Late Night TV Page" still has Clay and a singer named Madeleine Peyroux listed.

Well, I read it on CV, but at 1Iota it lists her too - and also Charles Barkley! Is it possible he could be doing both Leno and Kimmel??

More guests = less Clay time! I don't like that! It should be all Clay all the time! :medium-smiley-070:

Muski - thanks for the info on Gabrielle Union. The name sounded familiar but I had no idea who she was. I hope Clay doesn't make Tyra jealous when he's on with her!

Knowing Clay's taste for ahem... chocolate...I think he's gonna love Gabrielle. Better her than Charles..and I adore Charles

I've noticed that since Katharine McPhee's album is out and she's doing the usual TV rounds (she's on Kimmel Wednesday with couch time and a mini-concert) that certain predictable members of certain boards are revving up their McHate.

Why can't members of this fandom be kind to other Idols? You don't have to like them all, but some of the venom that is spewed is unbelievable. Do they have so little faith in Clay's talent that they think that everyone else from Idol is a threat to his career???

I have to admit I kind of like Kat. I think she has a beautiful voice and she is stunning. I listened to her album on AOL Listening Party and rather liked it - at least 85% of it. She has also been through a lot and I admire her for finding the strength to fight her demons. She is only 22 and has a way to go with her live performance, but she seems like a nice young woman. She certainly doesn't deserve the crap I keep reading from Clay fans. Can you imagine how they would react if they read nasty things about Clay on Kat message boards?

And its not just Kat. She's just the Idol of the moment. I just don't understand why you can't wish the others well and not feel they are threatening Clay's career. Have more faith in Clay people!

Muski..I feel your pain regarding bitchy DIVA coworkers... and your daughter is incredible...you must be so proud. The school situation is terrible...our situation here...too little kids...too little competition...The teachers are getting really lazy. Sigh...

goodluck on your daughters petition. hope they can make a difference.

CG...the Clive /Clay feud is just to funny to me. So do people think Clay is the only artist that ever tried to argue with the label? DO they think Clive is so green that he would get so intimidated by Clay that he would create this whole situation just to get back at him??? We have said it time and time again...there are easier ways for Clive to shut Clay up thatn making him record covers.

Gabriel Union...pretty cute!!!I remember the Friends episode when Ross and Joey were fighting over her.

ITA claygasm....I was just shopping with a friend that watches AI and we were talking about the amount of good talent that has been found by that show. It may not be to everyones musical taste but a lot of the other idols are very talented.

I like Kat...I think she is beautiful and can very well be succesful in her chosen genre. I am also totally cool with Chris. I know he is pretty egotistical...but this actually fits the rocker persona...so to me that does not bother me. more power to all of them.

The only thing I hate with a fiery and unending hate is any 'so-called' humor with Clay as the only person spouting badly written dialect. It is not funny. It is not charming. It is snide and condescending and lazy - if you're going to write dialect, write it for everyone in the damn skit - there is no one in this country who speaks without a regional dialect. Humph. And if you can't get the humor across without it, it wasn't funny to begin with.

ITA. And I think I know to which skit(s) you are referring. ;)

Well, considering the hatred that is pouring from a certain winner's fans toward all other winners (i.e. when do you think Fantasia, Taylor or RUben will be dropped thread runing besides the Carrie has lost too much weight and has started clubbing - she has gone Lindsay Lohan! thread), everything is a threat.

I still think a lot of the malaise in the fandom comes from built up expectations and the isolationist life hthat lead us to believe that the fandom is still the same, which it is not. The fact is that Clay is successful, he is just not successful enough for some fans and because there is that let down, they have to blame someone not Clay.

Now, I don't think the blame belongs on Clay, so much as perhaps the pressure put on Clay by demanding and diverse fans. I understand but still find it contradictory taht the fans that did not buy the album are complaining about it's sales - I knowthat is a small part, but it is a weird part. Much like people badmouthing JNT05 before they attended and while just seeing some clips from fans. To decide not to see the show is certainly everyone's right, but to tell others it is cheesy or crappy ore what ever when they did not see it endlessly amazed me that it came from fans, rather than just haters. I mean, you can say, doesn't sound like I would not like it, don't have to heap trash talking all over it. My favorite thing recently was when one person was talking about how they hated the show and then someone pulled up their recap where they were just gushing over it, hehe. Yup, there is nothing like archived unchangeable threads when in a debate. Heh, I can hardly wait to see what JNT 07 brings us.

As to the current anger - it seems that some people just assume that if you came from AI you get the same treatment, except for Clay, who can get all the extra stuff there is. I wouldn't be surprised if Clay is not up for all the PR, but is still trying to actually have a private life. I told you there were so many complaints about Ruben getting more than CLay that I had to chart it out to prove that is not true. I really think his sales sort of sunk that complaint. Kat will be getting the she is getting more stuff until her sales drop. God help her from the hatred if she starts doing better thatn Kelly.

ETA - Kat - not a big fan, I found her off key a lot on AI, I found her unprepared for the media and tactless in her speaking, I don't like a lot of the music on her CD, but that is just me, I wish her a lot of success just because I hate to see people lose their big break. Oh, and she is lip synching on at least some of the shows she is appearing on, that kind of saddens me, but makes sense since I think Over it is just like so yesterday.

Edited by playbiller

And its not just Kat. She's just the Idol of the moment. I just don't understand why you can't wish the others well and not feel they are threatening Clay's career. Have more faith in Clay people!

Or better yet - just not care. There are thousands of other artists out there all competing with Clay - there really is room for them all (I gotta admit, I don't see anything particularly special about Kat - not her singing or her looks, so I do this novel thing - I don't pay any attention to her. Because as far as I can tell, her success isn't hurting me one little bit. Wouldn't it be nice if everyone could get that into their heads?

Kandre I think I'm in trouble right along with bottle, today, I think for the first time ever I used a Clay quote in response to Muski's post. " The waaaaaste of mah time "

Basically, I agree with you, and there is a whole series of skits I don't read for this reason. I appreciate the effort that goes into them, but I think I could read the words written normally, and be able to "hear" Clay saying them.

Edited by atinal

ETA - Kat - not a big fan, I found her off key a lot on AI, I found her unprepared for the media and tactless in her speaking, I don't like a lot of the music on her CD, but that is just me, I wish her a lot of success just because I hate to see people lose their big break. Oh, and she is lip synching on at least some of the shows she is appearing on, that kind of saddens me, but makes sense since I think Over it is just like so yesterday.

See, I don't think she is lip synching. I have watched her performances and unless she is using a different track to lip synch to each time, she isn't doing it because her performances have been different every time. Some better, some worse. If you lip synch they are always the same. At least that has been my observation. She definitely needs to do something about her performances, though. She doesn't seem to know quite what to do with herself on stage.

And I guess I am just so yesterday because I really like "Over It". Its very catchy. And there is one song on her album called "Ordinary World" that is gorgeous.

I have to say, though, I read one review of her album that just cracked me up. It was basically complimentary - not gushing, but they generally liked the music but they thought Kat was too old to sing that kind of music! Too old??? She's only 22! That's too old????? Made me laugh.

Anyway, it's ok not to like her music - just like its ok if someone doesn't like Clay's music. And KAndre is right (but of course!) - if you don't like it, just don't pay any attention to her or whoever! She or any other artist is not hurting anyone, least of all you or Clay. I just don't see why some people don't get that.

Its too damn cold here!

I still think a lot of the malaise in the fandom comes from built up expectations and the isolationist life hthat lead us to believe that the fandom is still the same, which it is not. The fact is that Clay is successful, he is just not successful enough for some fans and because there is that let down, they have to blame someone not Clay.

Now, I don't think the blame belongs on Clay, so much as perhaps the pressure put on Clay by demanding and diverse fans.

Man, I think you've hit the nail on the head with these words. There's a LOT of stuff with this album that could conceivably be "blamed" on Clay -- the song choices being one of the biggest. Would I have picked these songs? Probably not. Do I like what Clay did with them? For the most part, that's a big 10-4, good buddy. But anyway, it seems those that don't like the songs in particular think that Clay couldn't have anything to do with their selection -- it's gotta be the evil Clive, or the evil RCA. Doesn't make sense to me, especially since Clay has said more than a few times that he had a major hand in the songs. More than a few fans, it seems to me, can't deal with this fact...and are showing their disappointment by transferring their feelings not to Clay, but to someone else to blame.

Or better yet - just not care. There are thousands of other artists out there all competing with Clay - there really is room for them all (I gotta admit, I don't see anything particularly special about Kat - not her singing or her looks, so I do this novel thing - I don't pay any attention to her. Because as far as I can tell, her success isn't hurting me one little bit. Wouldn't it be nice if everyone could get that into their heads?

It sure would. This world is musically very diverse, and frankly, not everyone is going to like everything out there. Yes, not everyone in the world is going to love Clay and his voice....just as I don't care about Justin Timberlake. The AI connection makes it harder for some fans to separate Clay from the other artists who came from there, for some reason. This almost always surprises me, because these are usually also the fans that want Clay to totally forget that he CAME from AI. Anyway, musical success for a particular artist, whether it be Josh Groban, Metallica, or Carrie Underwood, doesn't mean the end of the world for Clay. JMO.

Kandre I think I'm in trouble right along with bottle, today, I think for the first time ever I used a Clay quote in response to Muski's post. " The waaaaaste of mah time "

Basically, I agree with you, and there is a whole series of skits I don't read for this reason. I appreciate the effort that goes into them, but I think I could read the words written normally, and be able to "hear" Clay saying them.

I guess I've never really minded the writing like that too much, but I think I'm with atinal on this. I'll try to read some, and the payoff at the end makes it worth my making it through the "accent." Others -- it's just too much. I'd rather have the words just plain, though, if I had the choice. I pretty much can "hear" Clay anymore....

Its too damn cold here!

Here too! Incredibly freezing, well below zero tonight. And then it's supposed to snow tomorrow. Yep, winter's here.

Off to enter my (lame) poem....

ETA: Check out the second row of the suggested mood music for Valentine's Day from Amazon.com

I guess since none of the AIers from the past 3 years are on my radar, I just don't think much about them. Since I saw the AI5 finale, I've seen Kat. She is a beautiful girl, but I think she does look older than 22, maybe it's the older boyfriend thing. I guess it's the whole competition thing and some people just can't let go of it. It's not good enough for some fans for their favorite to be first or second from the year they were on Idol, they have to be "the best Idol ever"

I think I may have gone through a stage like that, I think I've been able to resolve that issue by making up my mind that Clay is the best Idol ever,for me, and realize that others may not agree, that's okay. I think all of the Idols would be better off if their fans could just take a live and let live stance, but I guess it ain't gonna happen.

If I remember correctly after the AI5 finale, some of Taylor's fans were quite taken with Clay's voice and had posted on the Idol Forums board, I think it was, that they'd love to hear some more of his stuff. I think some over zealous Clay fans started doing the "Clay is the best Idol ever" stuff and probably alienated another fan group.

Was reading some stupid magazine (Us Weekly or In Touch or something like that)...and a little blurb was talking about AI this season...the usual stuff and then they said, Who'll be the next Kat or Chris? Guess everyone's moved on from seeing Clay as the measure of the runner-up and finalist successful person? By the way, Kat's CD got 3 of 4 (or 4 of 5) stars. I haven't listened to it.

Home again, home again, jiggidy jig! Carrie evidently has been a little angel so her three weeks grounding is now at an end...

According to hubby, Alex has been incredible---fun, responsive, responsible...

Something fishy is definitely going on here. :unsure:

And I don't want to start wondering if I'm 'wasting" my 'special house guest' status on a show that won't have a lot of CLay in it.

oooh....smut...."a lot of Clay in it"....Yes , please.

I admit I am wavering on the lip synching, but I saw her on a local station today and I swear she had the mike away from her mouth and the volume did not change. I know that Clay moves the mike away from his mouth when he is about to hit a big note, probably to keep from blowing it out, but I am not talking about big notes here. It just looked odd. Maybe she had a backing track for this show since it was local.

Still donh't likethe song, but I do believe it is a matter of taste, I have kind of moved away from young sounding break up songs over the years, I crave the more complicated.

Would I have picked the songs that Clay did for his album, of course not. I have my own experiences and my own favorite songs. Still, I do love listening to the album and keep changing my favorites around a bit, but then I don't listen every day or every song every day, I have my other music as well. hangs head as a bad Clay fan I do like other artists as well and other music. The only other concerts I attend though, are local talent or if a big name makes a small local appearance - I don't really like crowds. For example, the Met gives free concerts in a park 5 miles from my house. I could see them in Central Park in a crowd of 500,000 or I can see them locally in a crowd of 5000. And, I can bring my dog! (not this one, I used to bring the one that did not bark)

georgiaclay, I don't know if you'll be back on tonight, but I'm sending good thoughts and prayers your way for your cardiac cath procedure tomorrow. :F_05BL17blowkiss:

Got to keep things in good working order so you can continue to :hubbahubba: over this guy:

Greensboroprofile.jpg