#5 (plus #6 & #7) - "Well....the weather outside is frightful...but the man is so delightful..."

Ansamcw

I don't have time to write much here, but I'd again like to :F_05BL17blowkiss: to all of you here.....

....and then post a link on CV to more pretties from the M&J show....

Again, you'll need sunglasses for a few of them....

And there's now a fan photo out from backstage at the SCC concert, via the CH....

sccappearancefanphotovj3.jpg

Off to see Mom today....if we make it through the freezing rain and sleet.

This message was brought to you today by elipses....

Oh the tag on that shirt looks so familiar - long ago and far away there was a very long discussion about a tag on a shirt. But since I am so not demographic, I can't remember where or when.

I think one of my never posted posts was about the use of words that are thrown around in the fandom - like fame whore - fun when it is used amongst some people laughing at each other, not so nice when thrown at some person not participating in the conversation - ditto with scheme and many other good fan/bad fan words- a very loaded word that could be used with fun among friend, but quite harsh when applied to someone who cannot or will not reply. The wierdest part is when the very people using the words can have the words applied to themselves, since one rarely sees themselves as others do. Damn, I am judgemental myself.

Frequently, people talk about the fandom as if it is as strong as it used to be, but rarely do they see the fallout of their words driving people from the fandom. I have said it before and I will say it again, people PM me at different boards telling me thay have had it and I never see them post again. Some go to other small boards, some move on to other fun interests. Years ago I found Ruben's fan board shrinking as there was a great expulsion of anyone who might be detected as "Clay fan" hiding on thier board and liking Ruben, People were attacked if there was the slightest suspicion this was true and driven from the board - then the board and it's 13 remaining posters faded away. I find people being so harsh on some boards, so depressing, that other fans are either going to smaller boards or leaving the internet fandom altogether. For everyone we hear about leaving, how many people leave that fade away without telling anyone?

/end of depressing mumblings

Edited by playbiller

Just to make myself consistent (because Lord knows I think everyone knows my opinions on anything everywhere), I posted this elsewhere. Y'all are welcome to mock if you like.

One of the joys of posting on a public forum on the Internet is that your words have been placed for public consumption - especially when talking about non-whatever-the-hell-board-you-are-posting-on-at-that-moment members. The good gets taken around along with the bad. I admit, I'm one that as long as I'm quoted correctly and in context, I'm cool with it because in general, if I don't mean it, I don't say it. And I don't say it on a message board without accepting I have no control over how others respond to what I say, whether it's to agree or disagree or find it humorous or annoying or stupid or the most brilliant thing ever. I also prefer such things to be up front, rather than in back channels, but I also know that's a fruitless request as well.

I'm with somebody earlier who I will look up in a minute - I don't care about Clay's marketing. Or demographics. Because in most scenarios I've seen, I clearly am not one of the favored groups. And as far as I can tell, Clay likes having me for a fan as much as anybody else. And Clay managed to acquire me without any marketing of any type. Just like the other artist I like. And maybe the people I know are just special, what other fans are like does not affect how I like an artist. The people I have played Clay for have ranged the spectrum of age and race (I would add gender but using the word "spectrum" is iffy for me). And no one's looked at our differences to decide whether to like or dislike Clay.

As for "schemes" (and I find "scheme" to be a very loaded word - with a strong implication of "nefarious"), hell, we have no idea how many fans do call and plot and offer themselves up in various ways to get close to Clay - some have done it from the beginning of the fandom. From getting into M&G to screaming madly at concerts to throwing stuff up on stage to dressing up to coordinating some group "look at me Clay" thing to writing books to selling all kinds of stuff, etc., etc., etc. Not all of these were done to get Clay's attention - some started that way and continued just for themselves. I'm not seeing the support/complaints about Cookie any differently than any other "good fan/bad fan" thing in the past.

No mocking here!! Just applauding!

All this talk about Clay's fans and what they should or shouldn't be..... Shouldn't Clay's fans just be fans of Clay??

I bet if you looked closely enough at any fan group there would be those who could be classified as "over the top" or "plottting" or "scheming" to get to meet the object of their affection or the gain their attention. Are Clay's fans any worse? I doubt it.

Oh good lord, that'll teach me not to get up at 6 am looking for clack.

Anyway, Muski, I get what you mean. Getting Clay's attention is what this fandom thrives on (and yep Claygasm I'm sure we're not alone) . There are way too many instances to mention. And frankly, it's why I was so happy with the OFC because I knew I'd never get a meet and greet with Clay unless there was some random way to do it Like I've always said in the past, I wasn't baking Jerome any cookies for a shot.

I would love Clay's fans not to be part of the story so I understand that sentiment. Its why I was against the "let's show Clay how much we love him" Kimmel gifts and why I chose to send FCA's donation directly to TBAF with no fanfare because sending those gifts meant there was a possibility that time could be taken away from Clay and put once again on the fans. But even though I was against it still eee'd when I heard his dressing room was full of flowers. And while I would have liked to see no Clay fans segments, I'm not going to judge Cookie because she actually succeeded in what many others have attempted.

But guess what..we'll always be a part of the story anyway. I'm kinda used to that idea and there have been lots of great stories over the years about his fans.

I just don't see how keeping certain old folks under the covers is possible unless you ban 'them everywhere. As a friend said that attended Kimmel, some staff pointed out that Clay's audience is so different - always OVER 50. Now, is that true? No! But if we cared about how Clay is perceived so much we'd care how he was perceieved in the industry as well cuz you know, industry folks can see those anonymous lines and maybe when they're planning some nice big concert they'll scratch off his name because well look all his fans are old. I'm not saying go hide your face. I'm trying to point out the slippery slope of joining in with the rest of society in trying to condemn a segment of Clay's base. A LARGE SEGMENT that works hard and is the backbone of this fandom. Because think about it - if all of us didn't grab those Kimmel tickets the moment they were announced, guess what. They'd have to grab folks off the street just like any other guest and you'd have a nice mix of young and old and men and women. How far are YOU willing to go. Me? Not very far. Insert your "but then they will think Clay has no fans" argument here.

It will be up to Clay to appeal to a younger crowd. Just look around in the fandom and how many of you have kids that are not Clay fans. Muski and Ansa... there's two right here. And let's not act like Clay's team has never tried to appeal to them..What was blonde pinup Clay all about..Le'ts Just Play, MTV... did it work? To me, Clay didn't fit in a lot of those places and the cool DJs seemed to tolerate him (barely). Maybe that's my imgaination. But yeah he can whoo in the over 20 crowd and the 30s crowd. He has the tools to do it and can do it without sacrificing Clay or making part of the fan base feel badly. But how many twenty year olds are talking about how they adored Andy Williams Christmas shows when they were young. heee I love my Clay just like he is though. He'll I"m 44 and was going WTF? heee. But I love my old soul. I think it will be his humor that will drag folks in anyway. This is going to be a very interesting ride.

ON another note... - where in this online fandom can young folks go to thrive and be nurtured? Is there such a place? For instance, if tomorrow Muski's daughters comes home from soccer practice and say..mom I just love Clay Aiken.. I need to know more about him. Where would she go to have an online community. I wish it were the OFC where they could just go and have fun and talk about Clay. Hell maybe it is. . I don't go there enough to know. But I wouldn't let a young child of mine anywhere near the place. Play, do you know? How about the Clayboard? Oh there used to be one...but I forget the name of it.

ETA: I know I generalized in spots but was just trying to make a few points. I know that Clay has fans of all ages. It's the picking and choosing and deciding what is acceptable and what is not acceptable that bothers me.

ETAA: Another example of how Clay fans are just like everybody else... so Kate Walsh got her own spin off from Grey's Anatomy. Instead of being a supporting character everageing 5 scnes a week she will now be the star of the new series. It's a big risk, yes because GA is a giant hit and spin-offs are hit or miss. But the conspiracy theories I'm reading are mind boggling. I mean would a network really give someone their own show just to get them off one series when all they have to do is send the character back to NY? And why would I as a fan sign a petition to scrap her new series and keep her on GA getting her five scenes a week especially when they've said if the show isn't picked up she'll be back on GA. And why would the creator of Grey's Anatomy purpously write a bad pilot just to get rid of her when she has put her name to the project. Shonda = Clive . ABC=RCA. It's all the same.

I haven't been there lately but SimplyClay is supposed to be a happy place with lots of video and stuff and a lot of members. I can look around later today and get back to you. there are a few other places, like Rocknrollmom's daughter's place, a good place for young people, - the problem is smallness means few posts to respond to. You know how hard it is to get a board off the ground. (I will come back with a link to it)

Maybe you could include comments on your message boards - like for children for teenagers, for students, for mixed groups, hehe, no more detail needed than that.

Yeah it's always been in the back of my head to include more info about the various boards. Maybe with the changes we'll be able to do that with imput from the board owners. I never felt too comfortable defining other boards. With the new set up I'll be able to illicit more imput.

Jenna..I saw The Departed last night. I thought Matt Damon was truly truly great....what a dog he played..and so convincingly. I would think he would be getting lots of kudos for it. The entire cast was brilliant.

I think if I had a new young 'un that I was trying to indoctrinate - er, educate - about Clay, I would send them over to The Ideal Idol. There are lots of great graphics, videos, news, and positive writings that Jan brings over from other places.

Messages boards are a whole 'nother topic. They can be fun and informative and a way to build a community of posters with similar interests, but I don't know that they necessarily build a fanbase. I buy CDs from plenty of artists that I would never go online to read about. Is my purchase any less meaningful than that of a fan that spends hours online at a message board? Is a fanbase defined by its online members, and more specifically by its vocal online members, which really are a pretty small subset of the whole group? I hope not...

I have a 21 yo and 18yo. It’s all real time stuff: chat, IM or MySpace. They don’t even talk on the phone. Just Text messages. Like they can only talk with their fingers. (I finally learned how to text a couple months ago....but I am eye-rollingly lame. I actually spell words out and use punctuation.)

Playbiller: Well, after a PM, I went back to clarify my statement about innocence is in the eye of the beholder - I meant that someone will not like what you do somewhere - this is the most disagreeable set of fans - never approving of each other, heh.
*waves to Playbiller* thanks for explaining that. Muski’s mini litany at CH that illustrated how ‘scheming’ can be a relative term was quoted by someone at CH who said that “none of ‘us’ is innocent” of engaging in the behavior Muski listed, and that’s why ‘we’ are uncomfortable...because ‘we’ see ‘ourselves’ in Cookie. (or something like that. The post has since been edited). My contention was that the poster’s conclusion is incorrect...in the specifics. (I use myself as proof) When Playbiller quoted my post to use as a counterpoint, well I was confused. *g* Yeah, I know. It’s easy to do.

I do see what you mean in a broader sense, though.... that no matter how one behaves as a fan, there is likely to be somebody who disapproves.

I make montages. That probably squicks some people out. Cookie drives her Claymobile. Personally I find that appalling. Heh. But as I said on CH, she’s not hurting anyone. Cookie is a fan. She wanted to meet Clay. She did what she had to do to get what she wanted.

It’s not Cookie’s responsibility to manage how the public perceives Clay’s fan base. It’s not the fans’ job to manage Clay’s image and career. If Clay wants kids and PYTs in the front row at his concerts, he can hire professionals to manage his image and career in a way to get that result. That leads me to believe there is a reason that hasn't happened.

Clay use to be the ‘thinking woman’s’ sex symbol. What happened to that?

I prefer to keep the fans out of the story entirely, but I’m convinced it will take an act of God or congress to sever the Clay story from the Claymates story in the media’s eyes. I have to accept that.

Back to Cookie...I think singling out a fan can engender jealousy among the ranks. Clay does it all the time. And like clock work, the ‘chosen one’ inevitably gets skewered on some boards. I’m thankful to hear that Cookie doesn’t read the boards. Although that didn’t come as a surprise to me since she missed all the questions in the trivia contest. heh Still she won a trip to the Bahamas and an invitation to meet Clay again. It’s no wonder she’s been crucified. :ninja:

Ansamcw: My tips for enjoying Clack...never check certain boards for real time reactions.
This is sooooo true. My computer is in a separate area from my TV which allows me a built in buffer.

Sorry I haven’t posted much. It’s hard to keep up sometimes. I did bring a little present though.

The Dream’s on Me

The Dream’s on Me -Dial up

I still have issues with the teeth, but I’m learning to adapt and trying to keep my mouth shut about how I secretly pine for the little pushed in chicklet teeth. *sniff*

Edited by dreamlarge

glad to see you posting dreamlarge...and a big WORD to your post.

As much as I would like Clayfans' antics to be seperate from Clay's story...it will never be. The reason why I was oppsoed to a big splashy gift on Kimmel was the money that got wasted and the fear that the short segment he would have will be taken up but the gifts...but thankfully, the Kimmel people were wise not to focus on the gifts during the segment itself. But in M&J...the situation was very different. It was dubbed the Clay day...and they were really going to do a fan segment...so I was glad Cookie got to represent the fandom. Except for the fact that I would be embarrased to ride her car...(cmon I can;t even wear a Clay t shirt with only his name ontit) I thought she was very personable and poised.

I really don;t have a problem when fans get singled out by CLay...I love hearing Ethel stories or M&G stories...I' enjoy it when he talks to a fan and I don;t blame anyone for wanting to meet him. My only no no of course are stalking...inappropriate touching...and fans who take advantage of other fans generosity or those who use clay to make money...oh and chasing his limos. If a fan got lucky enough to get a one on one encounter...I truly am happy for them.

OOoh, OOOh, Dreamlarge, I am going to PM some FTP sites to you so you don't have to use yousendits and worry about them expiring and getting used up - some perminent sites.

As to you being confused - nothing new when someone reads my posts - I have a tendancy to keep half of a post in my head and just post the other half. My fingers move slower than my brain, I leave out whole sentences and, of course, I always understand what I am saying, I just don't get why others can't do it as well!

ETAA: Another example of how Clay fans are just like everybody else... so Kate Walsh got her own spin off from Grey's Anatomy. Instead of being a supporting character everageing 5 scnes a week she will now be the star of the new series. It's a big risk, yes because GA is a giant hit and spin-offs are hit or miss. But the conspiracy theories I'm reading are mind boggling. I mean would a network really give someone their own show just to get them off one series when all they have to do is send the character back to NY? And why would I as a fan sign a petition to scrap her new series and keep her on GA getting her five scenes a week especially when they've said if the show isn't picked up she'll be back on GA. And why would the creator of Grey's Anatomy purpously write a bad pilot just to get rid of her when she has put her name to the project. Shonda = Clive . ABC=RCA. It's all the same.

OMG, that is bizarre. So they don't want her to have a career break because they know it is secretly intended to destroy her.

I wrote a long post at the OFC, and I guess it boils down to one thing. Speculation turns into fact without a reality check or any kind of testing of the speculation. Lots of you have already said it, "We just don't know." IMO, we don't need to know. It isn't our job as fans to know. It's our job to enjoy and be entertained. Things are not bad for Clay now--not at all. Haven't been bad IMO since last summer, if ever, and never as awful album-wise as has been portrayed by some.

I think if I had a new young 'un that I was trying to indoctrinate - er, educate - about Clay, I would send them over to The Ideal Idol. There are lots of great graphics, videos, news, and positive writings that Jan brings over from other places.

Ideal Idol gets a lot of traffic, and it's a great site. I get a lot of referrals on my blog from there, and often from the overseas fans. Clay's Daily Double is another great site, which is created by a young woman (or guy?) from the CB. It's more of an on-line magazine really, collecting from many sources and with an attractive presentation. Very well done. No chat or boards there either.

Messages boards are a whole 'nother topic. They can be fun and informative and a way to build a community of posters with similar interests, but I don't know that they necessarily build a fanbase. I buy CDs from plenty of artists that I would never go online to read about. Is my purchase any less meaningful than that of a fan that spends hours online at a message board? Is a fanbase defined by its online members, and more specifically by its vocal online members, which really are a pretty small subset of the whole group? I hope not...

Amen!

dreamlarge, a belated happy birthday. :F_05BL17blowkiss: You really nailed it here:

I do see what you mean in a broader sense, though.... that no matter how one behaves as a fan, there is likely to be somebody who disapproves.

I make montages. That probably squicks some people out. Cookie drives her Claymobile. Personally I find that appalling. Heh. But as I said on CH, she’s not hurting anyone. Cookie is a fan. She wanted to meet Clay. She did what she had to do to get what she wanted.

It’s not Cookie’s responsibility to manage how the public perceives Clay’s fan base. It’s not the fans’ job to manage Clay’s image and career. If Clay wants kids and PYTs in the front row at his concerts, he can hire professionals to manage his image and career in a way to get that result. That leads me to believe there is a reason that hasn't happened.

Not much to add, just a lot of WORD!!

**waves to dreamlarge**

Loved your montage! You are a master to be sure!

And happy belated birthday! Hope it was a fun one.

Loved this part of your post:

<snip>

I prefer to keep the fans out of the story entirely, but I’m convinced it will take an act of God or congress to sever the Clay story from the Claymates story in the media’s eyes. I have to accept that.

If we as fans just learn to accept that Clay can manage his own career and like it or not and for better or worse the "Claymates" will always be part of the narrative, I think we'll all have more fun and less angst.

My tips for enjoying Clack...never check certain boards for real time reactions.

Ansa, you have a point. When Clay makes appearances on the day time shows, I always read the reactions on the boards before I see it since I can't watch until I get home from work. If I have read negative reactions to something on the boards - whether its something Clay does (or doesn't) do, or something he wears or the way someone reacted to him or treated him - whatever, I find myself actually looking for the negative when I watch the clack! How can you truly enjoy something when you're looking for the negative???

Edited by Claygasm

I finally got around to watching all the Mike and Juliet segments this afternoon, and I have some random observations. The opening was really cute, with Clay practically sliding out from behind the curtain into the camera. I was amused by the loss of the mic pack (I assumed that was what happened), and Clay throwing his hands up as Mike helped him fix it. Was I the only one trying really hard to look around the corner into Clay's hotel room when M&J went to abduct him? Karaoke was okay - lurved the screaming guy - can I vote for him on AI? I think Juliet should have been less concerned about her singing and more concerned about how shiny her face looked.

Little girl segment? Not a fan, but I did like how Clay Vanna'd the phones.

The trivia contest was just kinda stupid, except for the semi-smutty horn jokes. Hee.

The People editor dude had an enormous head and very narrow shoulders. I have been trying to avoid as much of the ANS stuff as possible, and that segment just made me slightly nauseous.

I was glad Clay got to talk about his UNICEF trip and mention Brett a bit. The man looks like he's a whiz with a glue stick.

The thong talk in the closing segment? Clay has gotten quite a bit of mileage out of those tiny pieces of cloth and elastic.

Bottom line: Clay - handsome and articulate and witty. The M&J Show itself? Don't know if I'd watch again even if it were shown in my area and I was home during the day. It was a little hard to judge what Mike and Juliet's chemistry would be like, as I think having three hosts was just kind of awkward. Mike seemed like he was stuck over in the corner as an afterthought in some of the segments. Maybe it was because I was watching the Clack in segments, but the pacing of the show seemed like it could stand to be picked up a bit. I'm also not clear on what kind of tone they are trying to achieve. Overall, I don't think it's Clack I'll watch over and over again like Tyra and the Kimmels. It was just "A'right, dawg" [TM Randy].

Welcome dreamy! I gotta agree with you, I'm still mourning those perfect little teeth of his, too. Either it's pushed his upper lip forward , or he's jutting his lower jaw to match up with those too large uppers IMO. I know, I should just shuddup already, but the change is really evident in those two side by side photos Winky Dink showed at CH. It just looks generic now. Too perfect but not fitting. I wonder if he really hated his teeth that much. (thinks back to all that out of the side of his mouth talking he used to do).

I'm just a tad gloomy tonite. My sweetie's on business in the Middle East and I've got laryngitis and a bad cold. I'm watching "American Idol Rewind" and every time someone sings (except Justin or Kelly) I just ache to hear Clay. I wonder if they have a rewind for season 2. Boy Simon sure didn't like Kelly much in the beginning.

Can I get a group hug? :F_05BL17blowkiss: God, now I have to like Simon 'cuz he invented the Teletubbies who I love. Who knew?

Diva, :F_05BL17blowkiss:

:garfieldodie-grouphug:

I've seen a bit of American Idol Rewind, but my station seems to move it around and pre-empt it at will. I find the singing in the early rounds to be so mannered and unnatural, it's been hard to watch very much of it. When they finally get to the performance shows, I'll try to catch it more regularly. I did see some of the Hollywood week segments earlier, and you're right, Simon was really not too impressed by Kelly at that point. I think the ratings have been pretty good for a syndicated show, so I've got my fingers crossed for Season 2 showing up next year with all that extra backstage footage and whatnot...

Hi, guys! I've been in a rotten mood 'coss I couldn't get on the freaking FREE internet here at my dumpy hotel while at Alex's soccer tournament. (In the first game, we won 5-0 and Alex scored three of the goals!)...so then I get back and see that someone addressed my post on CH in such a way that brought the dreaded whatever color ink to edit!

Dang! I'm famous!

Really...if anybody caught what ncgurrl said on CH before the admins edited it out for being a 'personal attack', I'd FLOVE to know! 'Coss I'm nosy that way. heh.

And dreamlarge...please know that my original post with its few examples of fan behaviors that I feel would qualify as 'scheming' under the definition that ncgurrl gave were never meant to apply to everyone. In fact, the poster who took my post and carried it to that level of the 'we' and 'us' and 'see ourselves' PM'd me to apologize for how her wording detracted from the effectiveness of my post, which she said was stated clearly and within board rules.

I always say that absolutes should absolutely never be used, you know? I always steer clear of them ALL THE TIME. heh.

Watched all the AI2 results segments while waiting for the internet to come back to me---the parts where Ryan goes over Clay's songs and what the judges said and then 'you're safe'...man. He was so nervous and young and gorgeous. And he was messing with his mouth and his teeth and jaw and all back then too---before he got his big, shiny teefies!

Love that man and his oral fixation.

:hubbahubba:

Muski you little devil! Causing all sorts of trouble over there....... :medium-smiley-070:

I saw this posted over at EAYOR and thought I would bring it over here:

Posted at the CB for Cookie by WizOfOzFan:

Cookie is not a CB member, so I am posting this here for her. Feel free to copy this to other boards.

Hi Everyone,

I have been inundated with e-mails and phone calls. Now I have

just a very minute idea of what Clay goes through.

I want to let you know

that last night is the first nights' sleep I've gotten for a week. It

would have taken a bomb right outside our window to have awaken me! I

am still trying to recover today!

Many of you have been so very supportive and I want to thank

you for that.

All I can tell you is that it was just beyond imagination! Clay

was just so kind and we sure had a lot of fun. One of the biggest

things I worried about was them asking me trivia questions. I'm

better at promotion than trivia. So what did they do but present me

with my biggest fear against the man himself. The only little contact

I had with him after coming inside off camera was while he was

waiting to go back on stage. I leaned over and said " Clay you've

gotta help me with this..I'm not so good at trivia". He looked at me

and said "I'm not helping you..you probably know more than I do about

me". Now doesn't that sound like Clay!! I thought I'm in deep do-do

here. But as it turned out we have lots of fun and ladies he is just

so wonderful. He even let me pull him down to my level to kiss him on

the cheek when he first walked out. I think he was a little nervous

as he do not know just what to expect. But after he realized I was

not gonna jump his bones he relaxed and had fun.

He did have lots of

make-up on so I was not able to see those cute freckles but the eyes

say it all! The new teeth are not quite set yet..they seemed to stand

out a little from the gums..I think that is why he runs his tongue

over them so much..takes a lot to get used to. I have a cap on one

front tooth that I've had for a long time and it still feels funny.

I was happy share my pride and joy--the Claymobile--with the man himself. I was a bit disappointed that he can't "drive a stick"...but perhaps this will inspire him to learn? The line to teach him starts behind me!!!

As far as the trip goes I never even expected anything beyond

him just coming out to see the car. Being involved in 2 segments

gave me plenty of one on one with OMC. He is tall and as you can see

from us standing together playing the game I looked like a peanut.

I am not sure if he truly wants to see the vacation pics. If that happens, great. Whatever happens, I have had my day..more than I could have ever hoped

for.

As far as the car goes and my mention of a donation...I have

made arrangements to see that the foundation gets it when I'm

finished with it if it's in good condition!! We do take pretty good

care of "her" so who knows the foundation could possible make a

little money!

Well I guess that pretty well tell you everything. All I can say

is thanks for being so supportive. You are a great group of Clay Fan

friends and I only hope that one day you all will have an opportunity

to gaze into the baby greens. It is an experience beyond heaven!!

Hugs to all of you..Cookie

If anyone wants to contact me, since I don't post here, you can send me an email at clayfordwives@hotmail.com

ETA: I read on another board that the IT started in Charlotte 3 years ago today. In some ways it seems like it was a lifetime ago, and in some ways it seems like just yesterday....

Edited by Claygasm