#5 (plus #6 & #7) - "Well....the weather outside is frightful...but the man is so delightful..."

Ansamcw

I NEED to go to bed, but before I do I have to say this. I love many different kinds of music. My taste is very eclectic. I love rock and pop rock and ballads and jazz and blues and R&B and folk - not so much country and rap. I love many of the old standards and I love hearing old standards updated. Take a song like "Moon River". It is a hauntingly beautiful song and when in the hands of a great singer, it could rip your heart out.

Clay is a great singer.

So Andy Williams sang it in his cardigan sweater. So what? R.E.M. sang it with shoulder length hair. Morrissey sang it to his too cool for school crowd. If they can sing it, why can't Clay? And their voices can't hold a candle to Clay's.

I suspect I will love, love, love how Clay sings "Moon River". I adore "Breakfast at Tiffany's" and Audrey Hepburn singing it in that movie always makes me cry.

Clay may as well.

Sometimes I sit and shake my head at some of the song choices Clay - yes Clay, not Clive/RCA - makes. Makes me wonder why I follow him.

I think its because Clay also seems to have eclectic taste in music. He can sing a song like ICMYLM or LAA (yes, please, let him sing this!) one minute and the next be wailing on COF or "rocking" to Rosanna or BFM.

We have all said it so often. Clay CAN sing anything. I, for one, am thrilled because I will never tire of listening to him. The DAUGHTRY!!!!!!!! types - you get tired of them by the time you hear one album the whole way through!

But Clay - you never know what he'll sing next. After all, this is the man who can make somewhat bawdy comments one minute and sing a song to his God the next.

So I am looking forward to hering his version of "Moon River". It will be beautiful.

Clay never bores me and he never lets me down. There may be "cooler" artists out there, but I can't think of too many you can say that about.

:Tour3:

Sometimes I sit and shake my head at some of the song choices Clay - yes Clay, not Clive/RCA - makes. Makes me wonder why I follow him.

But Clay - you never know what he'll sing next. After all, this is the man who can make somewhat bawdy comments one minute and sing a song to his God the next.

Clay never bores me and he never lets me down. There may be "cooler" artists out there, but I can't think of too many you can say that about.

Heee..Loved your post Claygasm. He's never bored me, that's for sure. I never know what to expect from Clay and I think that's why I keep an open mind when it comes to him. I love live Clay. It's my favorite of all Clay and it's where we can actually see him work it. I think his shows have been all him. Sure he has gotten advice and assistance but I really think he has taken ownership of his tours. And when I go back and look at his tours I can't put him in a box. He has done everything. He has made me love songs I never thought I would. I have James Taylor in my ipod people. To me that's like folk music. He suprised me with Prince. He impressed the hell out of me with I'll be There. He made me laugh when he sang Mandy - he's not afraid of shit. I love it. I thought his whole Roseanna/band intro was a thing of beauty.It had a mesmerizing rhythm. The way he could change up Invisible through almost every single tour -- I never got sick of it. And then, some accidental thing could turn into a bit that became part of his show. If things didn't flow right he would make corrections. His interaction with his band, the audience, whatever was ever changing, always different, always fun.

Whatever he does this summer? It will bel him. It may not be all of him but it will be him.If he gets up there and sings new rockin' songs. That will be him. If he gets up there and sings ATDW. That will be him. If he gets up there and sings Moon River? That will be him. None of it will suprise me.

I've heard too many different things about this tour to know what it's going to be like. But I love it that he mixes things up. Isn't that what we want - for him to grow in his art. That's why I loved JNT05. The man took a chance. And he took a lot of heat. But you have to take chances to grow. When I think back to the JBT, basically a covers tour, could the man have been any more joyous? I mean that was a good good time. And although people have wantd him to stop doing Xmas tours every year, he turned 2006JNT into a fan favorite.

So bring it on Clay. Sing to me whatever you want. I'll be there. I haven't been disappointed yet.

Whew!! Great posts, Claygasm and Couchie and KAndreyou are a goddess.

Right now, I hope Clay sings every freakin' song on ATDW, his "dead" album. Maybe in years to come when people talk about ATDW it will be "the dead album", like the Beatle's "white album" (I know the cover was white) but for cryin' out loud, some times I wonder, with fans like these who needs "hatahs". Some of these folks have to write full page dissertations explaining the demise of this CD. I'm sure they could just copy and paste the full page dissertation they wrote the last ten times it came up in discussion.

Oh, and when they're finished with that tired discussion, it's time to hate on Moon River. About half of the people posting their dislike of the song choice, admit to wanting to hear it 3 years ago. But that was so yesterday, I guess.

I'm happy Clay is touring, I'm happy with ATDW, I'll be really happy if he gets that tour somewhere where I'll be able to see it. I'm sure I'll be happy with whatever he sings. It seems like so much more fun to be happy. :TourExcite:

I really think he has taken ownership of his tours. And when I go back and look at his tours I can't put him in a box. He has done everything. He has made me love songs I never thought I would. I have James Taylor in my ipod people. To me that's like folk music. He suprised me with Prince. He impressed the hell out of me with I'll be There. He made me laugh when he sang Mandy - he's not afraid of shit. I love it. I thought his whole Roseanna/band intro was a thing of beauty.It had a mesmerizing rhythm. The way he could change up Invisible through almost every single tour -- I never got sick of it. And then, some accidental thing could turn into a bit that became part of his show. If things didn't flow right he would make corrections. His interaction with his band, the audience, whatever was ever changing, always different, always fun.

Hallelujah! And can I hear an "AMEN!" :F_05BL17blowkiss: Yes, yes, a million times YES! Ah... :allgood: I'm sitting here 'talking' to you on my new laptop! :party045:

And I got ONE room halfway decent tonight, couchie and YSRN...so you don't have to wear your HazMat masks when you come over tomorrow. :medium-smiley-070:

My hubby had a night out with a buddy and Alex was working props for the school play tonight, so Carrie and I went out to a Japanese restaurant for a cool mother/daughter dinner. Now when Alex and I go out somewhere together, you can hear a pin drop---she's as communicative as a mute. Carrie, on the other hand, told me all the gossip---all about who likes whom and which guy is a poophead and which guy is totally cool and...I swear, she was nonstop! CMSU! :cryingwlaughter:

Moon River - lurve it. I'll go back and check out your youtube links later today, Claygasm.

For Once in My Life is a whole 'nother story... That one has my cringing a bit. All I can think of is Stevie's version, which is too brassy and bombastic for my tastes. However, I never thought I'd like Here You Come Again based on Dolly's version, so who knows?

Claygasm, thanks for those YouTube links. I'm a fan of REM, and didn't realize that they'd sung Moon River! Stipe's voice really isn't quite up to singing a song like that, but the simple arrangement was outstanding, and I'd love to hear Clay sing that song like that. More on this later...

I NEED to go to bed, but before I do I have to say this. I love many different kinds of music. My taste is very eclectic. I love rock and pop rock and ballads and jazz and blues and R&B and folk - not so much country and rap. I love many of the old standards and I love hearing old standards updated.

Put SOME country back into the mix, and you're me. I love stuff like the soundtrack to "O Brother, Where Art Thou?"

Clay is a great singer.

Could we add this as the tag line to our next thread?

So very true. And I think that's why I love him so -- I love him messing with my head like that. He likes curve balls, designed to make people say "HUH?" And I frequently get whiplash from the way he changes gears, especially in his shows. But that's OK, I have good insurance.

Whatever Clay wants to sing, I want to hear it.

This would be a great tagline too....because I think it sums up the feelings of a great number of people here.

So bring it on Clay. Sing to me whatever you want. I'll be there. I haven't been disappointed yet.

Fantastic rant. And this series of sentences is perfect.

I'm happy Clay is touring, I'm happy with ATDW, I'll be really happy if he gets that tour somewhere where I'll be able to see it. I'm sure I'll be happy with whatever he sings. It seems like so much more fun to be happy. :TourExcite:

As is this series of sentences. Do I get in trouble if I just follow people around and WORD them? Oh wait, I'm an admin. I suppose I could get by with that. *g*

:TourExcite: :TourExcite: :TourExcite: :TourExcite: :TourExcite:

Moon River - lurve it. I'll go back and check out your youtube links later today, Claygasm.

For Once in My Life is a whole 'nother story... That one has my cringing a bit. All I can think of is Stevie's version, which is too brassy and bombastic for my tastes. However, I never thought I'd like Here You Come Again based on Dolly's version, so who knows?

Yeah me too...I keep trying to play the song in my head to make it sound better to my ears but I just don;t have that good an imgination I guess...eh I'm not worried...if it's not my favorite I know at least clay;s vocie won;t make me cringe.

I just listened to Stevie's version of FOIML, and listened to the words (which I am copying over from CH):

For once in my life I've got someone who needs me

Someone I've needed so long

For once unafraid I can go where life leads me

And somehow I know I'll be strong

For once I can touch what my heart used to dream of

Long before I knew

Someone warm like you

Could make my dreams come true

For once in my life I wont let sorrow hurt me

Not like its hurt me before

For once I've got someone I know won't desert me

And I'm not alone anymore

For once I can say: this is mine you can't take it

As long as I've got love I know I can make it

For once in my life I've got someone who needs me

Just wow. I really can see him singing this....not necessarily in the style of Stevie Wonder.

Oh I really like those sentences too ldyjocelyn...lets tag them for the next thread title...

Hee I think I will wait for page 81 to start our new thread...just to be different... :medium-smiley-070:

so I read somewhere that one of the venue said the first half he would be singing with the orchestra and the second half it will be with the band...I bet that will still have some of the strings playing with him for some of the ATDW arrangements.

So I am thinking he will mix some old standards...or maybe some atdw and some MOM with orchestral arrangement in the first half...then we get more ATDW and MOAM and maybe some new songs in the second half. Right now we know Felix is in, and probably Angela and Q...I wonder if we will have a male back up. I am hoping Andy Abad is there and we have a lto of lovely acoustic guitar with Clay;s voice...that would be sooo good for Moon River...

EEEEEEEEEEEEE so exciting.

And here is a rock guitar version of it!

OMG I just watched this. The guy in the bow tie cracks me up! I sure hope Clay doesn't dance like him. And those hand motions are a bit over the top.....:cryingwlaughter:

so I read somewhere that one of the venue said the first half he would be singing with the orchestra and the second half it will be with the band...I bet that will still have some of the strings playing with him for some of the ATDW arrangements.

While I've seen a lot of people speculating about this, the only actual email from a venue I've seen only said that the orchestra plays a 45 minute set as an opening act, and then Clay will have his own set (with the orchestra) for another 45-50 minutes. I'm not sure how people are extrapolating that into Clay & the orchestra in the first half and Clay & the band in the second half. I think it is more wishful thinking than anything.

Edited by luckiest1

One more thing to add before I leave for Mom's (and seeing atinal, EEE!)....

You know, Clay singing Moon River could be exactly as some are worried it to be -- lush strings, phrasing as Andy Williams would do it. Heck, he may even wear the sweater. He may also change it up, as he did with HYCA on ATDW. The thing is -- WE JUST DON'T KNOW. There's lots of worry about what COULD happen. Why do this? I mean really, it's just a song people! If someone is THAT worried about how Clay will be singing songs, I just feel that maybe, just maybe, they need to re-examine how invested they are. And I say that as someone who is pretty damn invested in Clay -- but I'm also invested in having Clay be happy, and thus, around for a long time to come.

Gotta run....

While I've seen a lot of people speculating about this, the only actual email from a venue I've seen only said that the orchestra plays a 45 minute set as an opening act, and then Clay will have his own set (with the orchestra) for another 45-50 minutes. I'm not sure how people are extrapolating that into Clay & the orchestra in the first half and Clay & the band in the second half. I think it is more wishful thinking than anything.

oh this was my own extrapolating..cos in other boards they say orhcestra 45 minutes and all clay 50 minutes...and people are thinking this is Clay and the band...can you quote the email? cos if the orchestra is the opening act, then Clay sings with them I can understand...but I wonder if Clay's part will be longer than 50 minutes...I just want more Clay is that so wrong??? hee

Congrats to muski on her new laptop. Wish I had one. I think I refuse to buy one just so that I can say "See, my life doesn't revolve around just Clay." Bwahaaa :hahaha: Who am I kidding? I should just go get one.

My Lord. I might have to become a minion for the first time in ever. Some really great posts over here. I read and shake my head. That would be shaking my head up and down, with a smile. Not side to side with disgust.

Yep, I think Clay really does like songs like that...and as long as he sings them well, I'm cool with it!

I will say, if I see any form of the goddam word "mandate" one more time, I think I will puke. Clay said the word a grand total of TWICE. It is neither his nor fuckin' Clive Davis' middle name. Improve your freakin' vocabulary, people! Clay manages to talk about his fuckin' CD using other words, LOTS of other words; try is for yourself, you might frickin' like it. Take a chance, use a goddam difference word!

Feh.

The word Mandate? OMG Kandre I know Clay has to be sorry he uttered that word. I know most of his fans are. It just makes you want to smack people upside the head, doesn't it? :breakpc2: Of course I try to realize that is probably the only "big" word some fans know. :whatever:

Ansamcw, Claygasm, Couchie, and Kandre. :da_best: I so agree with what you all have said. You get an AMEN, and I'll even throw in a preach it sister, from me. No doubt in my mind Clay is in control of what he wants to do. He takes suggestions and guidance, I'm sure, but I believe he gets a lot of say so. He is a throwback to another era, and even though he can sing anything, I do believe this is where his passion for singing lies.

I would bet dollars to donuts this "theme" was his idea. Not Clive's. Not RCA's. His. He likes these kind of songs! Plain and simple.

Agree....Been saying that forever.

Oh, couchie that was then, this is now....don't you realize something about him releasing cover songs has fucked up his voice and now he will sound like shit singing "Moon River"?

What?

That's not true?

Then what the hell are they bitching about?

they are bitching cos Clay is not listening to them...this is supposed to be the time he itnroduces all his rocking originals...he is not sticking ot their program!!!

and they hate the idea that they cannot pretend to be a young kid falling for a rockstar if he does not sing rock songs. These are songs for grandmas...sigh..ageism is alive and well..

:andthetruth:

playbiller thanks for the link to moanica. I also love those emoticons. I think he has both of these for fans.

Right now, I hope Clay sings every freakin' song on ATDW, his "dead" album. Maybe in years to come when people talk about ATDW it will be "the dead album", like the Beatle's "white album" (I know the cover was white) but for cryin' out loud, some times I wonder, with fans like these who needs "hatahs". Some of these folks have to write full page dissertations explaining the demise of this CD. I'm sure they could just copy and paste the full page dissertation they wrote the last ten times it came up in discussion.

I hope he sings at least 3/4 of them. It makes me so angry his fans have referred to ATDW as dead. :angry22: I hope they have a bad streak of events happen to them. Karma can be a bitch. What goes around comes around.

I love Stevie Wonder's version of For Once In My Life. I need to go listen to the rest of the youtube links. Thanks for posting them. Then I guess I can :giantpopcorn: go watch the heads explode over Moon River.

Honestly? I am the age they are targeting, no doubt, but I really don't want to hear Moon River, and Bridge Over Troubled Water Again. However, I am trying to keep in mind that Clay is trying to bring in a new group of fans. Lord knows he could stand to turn over a few fans. :drugsneeded: Fans who have not heard him sing these songs or are not familiar with him at all. Fans that DO like these songs and this type of music. He needs them because I think we now know the direction of his career. So, knowing that, I will go to my concert and support him. Be surprised by other things he will have to offer and have a blast. Come back and get all fangirly again giving a recap. Then? I will eagerly await the next Clay, "Let's see how many way's I can turn them on," tour.

Edited by Clayzorback

oh this was my own extrapolating..cos in other boards they say orhcestra 45 minutes and all clay 50 minutes...and people are thinking this is Clay and the band...can you quote the email? cos if the orchestra is the opening act, then Clay sings with them I can understand...but I wonder if Clay's part will be longer than 50 minutes...I just want more Clay is that so wrong??? hee

Not wrong at all! We all want more Clay, right? :F_05BL17blowkiss:

The info is in the Columbus thread over on the OFC, posted by someone named CarrotTop4Clay. She seems to have quite a bit of knowledge of this venue. Here is a part of the post.

The Columbus Symphony starts their part of the concert @ 8:15 PM and performs until ~ 9 PM. Then there is ~ 15 minute intermission. Then Clay will come on to the stage ~ 9:15 PM and perform about 45-50 minutes. Clay may sing longer....I'm just writing what the usual second half is like. There have been a few performers who have stayed on stage a little longer, so I'm hopeful we'll get an hour of Clay. Concerts are usually over ~ 10 PM.

So whether this is the format for Columbus only, or for all the concerts...who knows? During the Christmas symphony tour, there seemed to be different rules for different orchestras.

Edited by luckiest1

Thanks for that info luckiest....that certainly is clearer and really does not tell us what Clay is specifically goign to do...just what they usually do. thats my take anyway.

but yeah..from this blurb people were assuming we get Clay and only the band...sigh.