#5 (plus #6 & #7) - "Well....the weather outside is frightful...but the man is so delightful..."

Ansamcw

saw this from spotlightlover on CH and I found it really interesting. I've never had formal vocal training, other than being in choirs and such, but I sing and I'm always running to the keyboard to figure out what notes he's singing..

Corabeth's blog got me thinking about the actual mechanics of the song All is Well, and how people may not really grasp how incredibly difficult it is to sing. I decided to check out the details for myself, and I discovered that it's far and away the most challenging song Clay has ever done.

From the blog, about the last note in the song:

Corabeth wrote:

Now this is a killer note. It is a high A and he holds it for 8 seconds. It's been a long time since I read music but to me it sounds as high or higher than the note from his stunning performance of Bridge Over Troubled Water on the American Idol season 2 finale.

First, the issue of the high pitches. Yes, the last note is an A. But Clay actually hits that same pitch eight separate times in the last verse of the song. Moreover, he hits a B-flat - a half tone higher than A, and the same note that ends BOTW - three times in that last verse. So it's not just all about the last note. It's that he's singing at the top of his range for the entire last verse, which goes on (according to my Merrillville video) for a total of 40 seconds, two-thirds of a full minute.

And in Merrillville, he held the final A for a total of 13 seconds.

The stamina and control required to do this is really amazing, especially after singing an hour's worth of other songs. It's very much like trying to balance on a tightwire only millimeters thick after running a marathon.

If anyone is still awake after that discourse and even slightly interested, here are the actual pitches of that final killer verse. Corabeth thought I should post an mp3 of me singing them for you. Yeah. As if. In my dreams. In your nightmares.

Code:

F

# F# A A D E F# G F# G A A Bb A F# G

Born is now Em- ma- nu- el, born is our Lord and Sa- a- a- vior,

G A Bb A F# G G A Bb A F# G E G A

Si- ing Al- le- lu- ia, Si- ing Al- le- lu- ia, All is Well

DAYUM.

Edited by muskifest

Wow! That sounds impressive!

Of course, I know nothing about singing, but it sure sounds impressive! :)

And jmh123 - that's just as well. I am having enough trouble deciding as it is! Thanks for checking for me, though.

Edited by Claygasm

As much as I am loving the clack, the hair is driving me crazy - and not in a good way. Now, I do have to say the color is lovely and it looks very soft and shiney, but its so flat and it really emphasizes his receding hair line.

People used to say David Duchovny had a receding hair line. They were wrong too. :) Look at a picture from AI - looks like the exact same hairline, to me. The cut makes all the difference. For it to be receding it actually has to be going somewhere. Same for Duchovny. And high foreheads are a sign of intelligence. Get back to me when you see that mane of hair in person - gorgeous. <g>

:::sigh::: What a rollercoaster of a weekend. What a beautiful man. Friday was slightly traumatic, followed by a Saturday so sublime I couldn't think straight. I couldn't sleep. All I could do was drink beer and go "eeeeeeeeee" for about 24 hours straight. And walk up to random people and ask "Can we talk about the HAIR???" I like how it moves when he walks. It's almost taken my mind off the package. Almost.

Irrationally obsessed? Me? Okay, yes, it's true. <g>

New video up at the OFC from the Virgin megastore signing....

**Sniff** No one read my posts. I posted that just a few posts above......

...as an EDIT! When you're speedy Gonzales like me, I read your original post and had moved on. Sorry about that!

I promise on a stack of Rolling Stones never to ignore you again. :D

*waves to HeidiHo and asks her -- "how was the hair?"*

New video up at the OFC from the Virgin megastore signing....

**Sniff** No one read my posts. I posted that just a few posts above......

...as an EDIT! When you're speedy Gonzales like me, I read your original post and had moved on. Sorry about that!

I promise on a stack of Rolling Stones never to ignore you again. :D

*waves to HeidiHo and asks her -- "how was the hair?"*

Ok, you're forgiven. I didn't realize among your many talents you also were a speed reader!

Speaking of hair, I hear it was fluffier tonight! :D

Yeah i agree with heidi...he just has a very high forehead...

But man...the guy is feeling better. I knew that another day's rest would make the difference and he was showboating a bit tonight. :D

Which sometimes makes me nervous. He is like a figure skater that suddenly throws in a tripled axel in a fully loaded performance.then he ends it all up with a quad at the end of his program...scary thing to do!!!

that is why it is ridiculous really that the haters are going on and on about that missed note...how many singers today can sing that song in the first place.

Well, Jaymes' blog was wonderful to read but it hasn't seem to make much of a blip in Clay Nation. What I liked is knowing someone is willing to fight the good fight with Clay. I'm glad she seems to respect him and his talent so much. And I'm thrilled to know that he is learning and growing in this business. I really have faith in his ability to survive the long haul and I think he will take more and more control of his career as time goes on. Interesting that Walmart/RCA wanted this EP from him... and in two weeks no less. So I guess there was two weeks in there recently when he was laying around with nothing to do that he was...actually doing something heh. I forget what was his connection with Walmart during ATDW? Oh yeah.... showcase singer or something like that. Well whatever expectations they had for this CD was clearly met since there are few left to be found with 3 weeks to go until Xmas. But oh just the experience of him acting as executive director, making decisions..seems he chose All is Well makes me happy. Go Clay with your bad self.

I enjoyed Jaymes' blog, as well. It was nice to hear her perspective on his talent and creativity, and it's great that he has someone like her who can push him to develop his songwriting skills. And to think there were those crucified her when she was first announced as the EP of his album.

I wonder what it's like for her to read the message boards. In all likelihood, she knows the full story behind ATD, and yet there probably isn't much she is at liberty to discuss about the project. It's interesting that she felt compelled to mention that Walmart/RCA asked for the CD, and that it was produced in two weeks. There is so much speculation about its meaning in relation to Clay's contractual status with RCA. Jaymes doesn't answer it all directly, but to me, her explanation suggests that AIW was not part some kind of major label drama. I would love to know what exactly prompted her to blog today. Did she read some of the discontent with sales and feel the need to reaffirm the quality of the album? Did she see some speculation regarding AIW that she felt compelled to confirm or deny? Or did something outside the boards--a conversation with Clay, discussions with the label, or even talk about "the note"--cause her to want to offer her support?

It is interesting that her blog hasn't prompted too much discussion. The fact that it happened not long before a concert probably had a lot to do with it. However, I also suspect that because it doesn't really add anything to the "Clive is the Devil" theory, many are quick to breeze over it.

Heh, It is an interesting thing to think about how this EP came to be - perhaps it was a balm to the fans with Walmart buying into the project.

I am a bit confused why there are not enough albums to go around - why do a project if it is not for profit.

I am a bit impressed that they got 4 songs (3 really) out in 2 weeks. I wonder if it was originally supposed to be reject songs from MCWL and Clay expanded it because he has learned a lot on the last few years.

Edited by playbiller

Well, she puts the kibbosh to the claim that the songs on the EP are ALL left-over recordings from MCWL, "stolen" essentially to make more money for greedy RCA--that Clay will make no money from AIW. And those who said this have said a lot of other things that some of us outside the Pod question--these are the extremists, of course, the queens of the Pod hive.

ETA: I was writing while you were posting, playbiller. I think they've made money already, and they'll probably make some more if it's true that they're hastily making more. I think he sold a heckuva lot of albums. Not like the old days, no, though he could have with more stock, but still, quite a lot. Almost everyone who found them bought multiples. And I think the cost to make it was comparably small.

Edited by jmh123

The part of the blog I liked was the indication that Clay now has a sort of production team he can call on quickly - as Jaymes noted in her blog - John Fields as producer and Stephen Lu for the string arrangements. I just always like the idea of Clay building ongoing professional relationships. I am also thankful for Jaymes' apparent push for Clay to write lyrics.

Hee. I've been spoiled by the speed of the Clack from the midwest shows. I signed on early this morning expecting to be able to download at least some mp3s of Verona or whatnot, but I didn't see much posted yet. What's up with the Clack procurers and vaulters wanitng to, you know, sleep? :P I have seen a few nice pictures so far, but none seemed to be zipper-focused. What's up with that? ;)

Off to see what else is out there....

Having now seen some of the pictures from last night (alas, the videos will have to wait until I get home tonight), I think, perhaps, maybe, I hope, that the hair looks better to me. :P

ET Online- Top Bachelors:

Clay Aiken

Birth Place: Raleigh, NC

Birth Date: November 30, 1978

Dating: Available!

2006 Projects: CD: A Thousand Different Ways, guest star on "Days of our Lives"

Clay is 3 of 15.

Pretties from last night.....

Verona1.jpg

ClayVerona003.jpg

The hair is looking a little better.

Well, at long last I have made my decision. I am going to Wiliamsport. I decided to take the aisle seat. It may be 3 rows back of the other but its on the aisle and that makes it easier to see. Both are too far back to take pictures so a clear view for my binoculars is more important. Of course, I just emailed the person who had the ticket and its completely possible its no longer available.....

Ok, I was reading on another board. There was much discussion on how Clay's voice has changed, how he so often sounds like he's screaming now, especially on the glory notes, that the purity, smoothness and fluidity of his voice is gone. There has been much concern that perhaps the Paxil is causing this as one of the side effects apparently is dryness in the vocal chords. These comments indicated that they have felt this way about his voice since he started promoting ATDW.

It seems to me that since day one there have always been times Clay's voice has sounded rough. I always attributed it to his allergies. But lately I have thought for the most part his voice has sounded better than ever. To my ear - untrained that it may be - his voice seems to have a richness and maturity to it I never heard before. With the exception of Waukegan (and I am sure a few isolated times in the past), I think his glory notes have been fine. Sometimes he does seem to exaggerate them almost as part of his schtick, but for the most part I don't consider them screaming. It certainly didn't seem that way to me in the Merrillville clack for AIW. I only heard last night via a cellcert, so I can't judge last night. And to me, he seems to be cutting down on the glory noting that he seemed to rely on so heavily earlier in his career.

I was just curious as to what you all thought about how Clay's voice may have changed.

As to Jaymes blog - when I read it the first thing that hit me was "She has it bad!"! I think she has a major crush on our boyfriend! :lol: As for the reason it hardly registered a blip on the radar of the Clay Nation, I think JennaZ said it all when she said:

However, I also suspect that because it doesn't really add anything to the "Clive is the Devil" theory, many are quick to breeze over it.

Well, if walmart didn't price them damn near the price of a Hallmark card, people might not have bought quite so many multiples.

Not to mention the growing overseas fans.

But it was four songs. That was quite the fair price, no?

Couchie, I think that is what Play is saying, that because the EP was priced so reasonably is one of the reasons that people who found it early bought so many of them.

Edited by atinal

Which sometimes makes me nervous. He is like a figure skater that suddenly throws in a tripled axel in a fully loaded performance.then he ends it all up with a quad at the end of his program...scary thing to do!!!

That's a great analogy. Thing is, not many skaters can pull this off. Same with singers. As much as it can frightening as hell, I admire him for trying it. Too many others would back off. Not Clay. God, I love him.

that is why it is ridiculous really that the haters are going on and on about that missed note...how many singers today can sing that song in the first place.

And personally, I'd like to see the haters try to sing this song as well...both "fan" and "non-fan."

I enjoyed Jaymes' blog, as well. It was nice to hear her perspective on his talent and creativity, and it's great that he has someone like her who can push him to develop his songwriting skills. And to think there were those crucified her when she was first announced as the EP of his album.

I know of a few people who are STILL nervous about her being with Clay, mostly because of her brother. It's that concern that Clay's going to turn into "ballad boy" because of the connection with Jaymes and David. What I feel these people don't consider is that maybe Clay is just as comfortable, maybe moreso, singing a ballad as his is singing a pop/rock tune.

I wonder what it's like for her to read the message boards. In all likelihood, she knows the full story behind ATD, and yet there probably isn't much she is at liberty to discuss about the project. It's interesting that she felt compelled to mention that Walmart/RCA asked for the CD, and that it was produced in two weeks. There is so much speculation about its meaning in relation to Clay's contractual status with RCA. Jaymes doesn't answer it all directly, but to me, her explanation suggests that AIW was not part some kind of major label drama.

I agree. From what she's written, it sounds as if this was WalMart's idea, but Clay was certainly willing to go along for the ride, and I would venture a guess that he easily convinced RCA to go along as well. I really don't sense any drama from her statements at all.

I would love to know what exactly prompted her to blog today. Did she read some of the discontent with sales and feel the need to reaffirm the quality of the album? Did she see some speculation regarding AIW that she felt compelled to confirm or deny? Or did something outside the boards--a conversation with Clay, discussions with the label, or even talk about "the note"--cause her to want to offer her support?

I'd answer your questions with "yes." I wouldn't be surprised that all those things came into play at some point.

But it was four songs. That was quite the fair price, no?

Hmmmm...I sent the link to the Sony order form (when it was working in those few minutes :blink: ) to my office mate. This is the person who watched AIW from Merrillville at least twice yesterday. Anyway, she looked at the price of it and thought it was low...until she realized it was only 4 songs. Then she thought it was too high. I will say, though, that's she's not a big computer person. I say that because when I think about buying songs off iTunes for 99 cents, that works out to just under $4.00. Very similar in price. *shrug*

The part of the blog I liked was the indication that Clay now has a sort of production team he can call on quickly - as Jaymes noted in her blog - John Fields as producer and Stephen Lu for the string arrangements. I just always like the idea of Clay building ongoing professional relationships. I am also thankful for Jaymes' apparent push for Clay to write lyrics.

I think that was the most encouraging part of the entire blog -- he's got people who want to work with him on a regular basis, who GET him. He's also got someone in his camp who can push him without engaging his supposed stubborn streak.

As I told my fellow workers in front of my young daughter and customers once as I took something of him to be framed...

I'D DO HIM!

I've said that in front of my husband. Is that wrong?

The AIW from last night was awesome! He did great, and the viewpoint that MarLovesClay had was perfect. I laugh at his holding the microphone staff so tightly, though.

claygasm, thanks for the pretties. *sigh* And glad you made your decision...can't wait to hear your reports, especially about the hair. :P

Love your "analysis" of Clay's voice. As for this:

I was just curious as to what you all thought about how Clay's voice may have changed.

Personally -- I think it's that he's gotten older. Voices age, as it were, and I think his voice will continue to develop as he gets older (whether he wants to get older or not!). I personally have never heard "screaming" from him during his glory notes at all. Instead, I hear a man who has learned to develop his gift, knowing when to hold back a bit versus giving his all.

Ok, I was reading on another board. There was much discussion on how Clay's voice has changed, how he so often sounds like he's screaming now, especially on the glory notes, that the purity, smoothness and fluidity of his voice is gone. There has been much concern that perhaps the Paxil is causing this as one of the side effects apparently is dryness in the vocal chords. These comments indicated that they have felt this way about his voice since he started promoting ATDW.

Short answer because I don't have much time. I think his voice is improving--his control is greater, his ability to sing softly with support as well as loudly. I think he has a finer tone to his voice as well. He is tackling songs and arrangements of greater difficulty, rather than resting on his laurels. With him there is always a learning curve on tours--that's one of the exciting things about this fandom. On AIW it sounds like he's screaming just a bit now and then because it's the highest he's ever sung, and for a sustained period of time. It ain't easy, and he doesn't sound like Pavorotti, but that doesn't mean his voice is going. Clay's always had an edge to his tone, and his glory notes have always been a bit screamy. That's what makes him a pop star and not an opera star. Some people love to worry, and some people love to get other people worried, but this is bullshit! Are they listening to everything he sings lately, or just to ATDW and AIW? Also, they have short memories--I remember some clunkers on Solitaire, and this "his voice is going" is an old, old refrain. Pfffttttt.

ETA: People are also being a bit ignorant about sound recording. It takes special equipment to get the sound they get in the studio. Television sound is often bad, especially for shows that aren't accustomed to live music (and some that ought to be). AIW is particularly a challenge because, as you can tell if you're listening to cell radio, some of those notes are hard to record at all. Our clack gatherers are very good and some of them have great equipment, but when it comes down to it, they're still bootlegs.

Edited by jmh123

As to the price of the CD, sing;es with 2 songs are frequently 3.98 and you are getting a hard copy that has to be "pressed" and transported and inventoried and stocked, so I feel the pprice is fair to the consumer, but may be a loss leader for walmart. (like coffee in a grocery store, they figure if they lose money on coffee, they get you into the store and you buy other stuff).

My comment was more on the price of a good greeting card, which has skyrocketed over the last 10 years.

Now, besides this concert, tomorrow's Tyra (locally) is Clay! SO I got to see the long promo today. Sweet.

I was surprised to find whne someone is banned at the OFC, the word BANNED appears under their name for their still lingering messages. I don't think I ever saw that before.

Edited by playbiller

WTIC radio interview with Clay

Haven't listened yet, but from what I've read...nothing new in particular. I always just love listening him do interviews of this type though.

ETA: People are also being a bit ignorant about sound recording. It takes special equipment to get the sound they get in the studio. Television sound is often bad, especially for shows that aren't accustomed to live music (and some that ought to be). AIW is particularly a challenge because, as you can tell if you're listening to cell radio, some of those notes are hard to record at all. Our clack gatherers are very good and some of them have great equipment, but when it comes down to it, they're still bootlegs.

Totally agree. Professional recording equipment is really out of the realm of the fans, and I think the best judge for his voice is really the EP version of AIW. Yes, I suppose you could say he's been ProTooled via this, but I think Jaymes DID get his voice front and center there, with minimal if any adjustments. Therefore, I believe that his voice is fantastic, and richer. More character.