AIW Listening Party!

ldyjocelyn

For me, the brightness of his voice makes this song - too many (including Quiana) made it...heavy. The brightness adds a innocence that I like even if it's "grown up".

I'll occasionally do without the power glory notes (only occasionally, mind you!) as long as that tone I love is there...

hey ...you are really great at the technical stuff...yup, I agree with you completely...that is a big difference with his versions and the others I've heard. I don't think I ever heard this sang by another guy. Always women. But yeah they usually have a heavier ...divaish treatment.

For me, the brightness of his voice makes this song - too many (including Quiana) made it...heavy. The brightness adds a innocence that I like even if it's "grown up".

I'll occasionally do without the power glory notes (only occasionally, mind you!) as long as that tone I love is there...

hey ...you are really great at the technical stuff...yup, I agree with you completely...that is a big difference with his versions and the others I've heard. I don't think I ever heard this sang by another guy. Always women. But yeah they usually have a heavier ...divaish treatment.

Yes, this could easily be a "showboat" song -- glory notes and riffs all over the place. Clay's good at those...but he was smart to not put them in this song. IMO, it gets the message of the song out all that much better.

Love the modulation chords in the bridge. That's some cool stuff.

Who did the original of this? I know DF is behind it...and I wonder if Clay realized he would be working with DF when Quiana was singing this song two years ago (and even earlier if I remember right)?

I don't know who first sang this...but I first ehard this on the David Foster Christmas Special and I had the CD of that. It was Natalie Cole that sang it on that special... I lvoed that show, beautiful music and great arrangement.

Another version that I love of this was Leah Salonga's version...she also has the kind of light and hopeful treatment to this song that is most like Clay version...

I also agree that others have used this song as a show off kind of song. Clay could do that too, but I think he recognized the message was more important than vocal gymnastics. I learned the lyrics from Clay's version, I only knew some of them from hearing other renditions. I think this little EP shows the very good instincts Clay has about music, another reason I don't need for him to go into detail about "his music" in interviews.

I was thinking it was a Mariah Carey song.

Edited by atinal

Well that is the end of this listening party...

everyone can continue posting of course...and thank you so much for participating.

thank you ldyjocelyn for getting us started...

so the next listening party should be in January...do we choose MOAM? or go with a Demo???

I think this little EP shows the very good instincts Clay has about music, another reason I don't need for him to go into detail about "his music" in interviews.

ITA!!!!!!

I think we ought to do MOAM next. I haven't listened to it in about a month or so....

I also agree that others have used this song as a show off kind of song. Clay could do that too, but I think he recognized the message was more important than vocal gymnastics. I learned the lyrics from Clay's version, I only knew some of them from hearing other renditions. I think this little EP shows the very good instincts Clay has about music, another reason I don't need for him to go into detail about "his music" in interviews.

I was thinking it was a Mariah Carey song.

Yup I think overall this EP was well done...we got different moods from Clay and a lot of songs that are not too familiar but can easily be classics.

Can;t wait for other projects from EP Clay Aiken.

I think this little EP shows the very good instincts Clay has about music, another reason I don't need for him to go into detail about "his music" in interviews.

ITA!!!!!!

I think we ought to do MOAM next. I haven't listened to it in about a month or so....

OMG...I don't think I've listened to MOAM for about a year...or more...I have listened to individual songs when I have my all Clay list playing in shuffle mode...but to listen to it in total...I think I stopped that as soon as he started singing the songs live.

Yup I think it would be totally neat to revisit that CD...I used to love it...although I never liked Touch and NMS...

funny I listened to moam a couple of weeks ago when I was reinventing my ipod...but before that it had been a year

I did that too...I think just before ATDW came out...but just a few of the songs...I just didn't find his voice as satisfying to listen to compared to the live performances.

That reminds me - I finished my 2006 Xmas playlist and am presenting it to y'all: It's just in alphabetical order

Adeste Fideles (Celine Dion)

All Is Well (Clay Aiken)

Angels We Have Heard on High (Christina Aguilera)

Ave Maria (Shirely Bassey)

Away in a Manager (Nat King Cole)

Carol of the Bells (Mormon Tabernacle Choir)

Celebrate Me Home (Clay Aiken)

The Christmas Song (NKC)

Christmas Waltz (CA)

Don't Save It All (CA)

Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas (Kenny G)

The Holly and the Ivy (Natalie Cole)

The Little Drummer Boy (Bing)

Mary, Did You Know (CA)

My Grown Up Christmas List (CA)

O Tannenbaum (NKC)

O Holy Night (CA)

Please Come Home for Christmas (Eagles)

Silent Night (Temptations)

Someday At Christmas (Stevie)

This Christmas (Donny Hathaway)

What Child Is This (SheDaisy)

This list will get me through the season...any y'all can't live without?