The Academy Awards

ldyjocelyn

What is this "Pan's Labyrnth" that keeps winning?

Yeah, I liked Gwynneth's dress, but the color just didn't seem to look that good on her.

It's a fantasy film -- in Spanish, no less. I've been told that it's fantastic.

Pan's Labyrnth synopsis

When Tom Cruise walked on stage, Alex said, "Oh no, it's Tom Cruise! He scares me...." Ha!

And I would LOVE for the Mexican actress to win Best Supporting Actress for Babel. I don't know her name but she was unbelievable!

Damn, Catherine DeNeuve (sp) looks freaking amazing....how old is she?

What is this "Pan's Labyrnth" that keeps winning?

Yeah, I liked Gwynneth's dress, but the color just didn't seem to look that good on her.

It's a fantasy film -- in Spanish, no less. I've been told that it's fantastic.

Pan's Labyrnth synopsis

Thanks. Looks interesting, but I don't do well with subtitles and my Spanish is a might rusty! Guess I'll never see that one either!

I think I need to rejoing Netflix!

Damn, Catherine DeNeuve (sp) looks freaking amazing....how old is she?

Too old to be in the most marketable demographic to be a desired Clay fan.

I truly wonder where Jennifer Hudson goes from here.

Just because she won all these acting awards doesn't mean her album will be a big seller. As popular as "Dreamgirls" was, the soundtrack didn't sell all that well.

And is she really that good an actress, or was this a role just meant for her?

And how many roles are there for someone like her?

It should be interesting to see what happens.

I'm a fan of Jennifer's performance but I really didn't think the Oscar would be hers. Or maybe I really didn't think the Oscar SHOULD be hers? The Mexican woman (damn it, I can't remember her name, I'm sorry)...now THAT was an Oscar winning performance. I do believe that---as good as Jennifer was---the whole underdog, up from the ashes story hype pushed this...She won all three major awards. I just think that's a bit much...My opinion, YMMV, etc.

ETA...I think you've raised good questions, CG Maybe they're behind my reserved enthusiasm for Jenniifer. I have no idea if she's a great actress. And yes, this role WAS made for her. I wonder how much of a stretch it actually was. She was wonderful...but it will be interesting to see if she pursues acting and if her talent will show itself in other, less 'comfortable' roles....

Edited by muskifest

I truly wonder where Jennifer Hudson goes from here.

Just because she won all these acting awards doesn't mean her album will be a big seller. As popular as "Dreamgirls" was, the soundtrack didn't sell all that well.

And is she really that good an actress, or was this a role just meant for her?

And how many roles are there for someone like her?

It should be interesting to see what happens.

ITA. I've not seen the film yet (although my husband tonight said "I think I'd like to see that," which means I should buy tickets soon), but I do think this was a role made for her. And at this point, I think the only thing she can do is go down.

And then I'll say that this is probably the same things that others were saying about Clay a few years ago....

I guess once "Dreamgirls" and "Babel" come out on DVD I'll rent them.

I am dying to see what all the fuss is about!

"Little Miss Sunshine" is already out, right?

And Muski, you're right. The back story for Jennifer Hudson helped a lot, I believe - including her stint on AI. The GG award might make the most sense since they had a musical category, but maybe not so much the others?

If "inconvenient Truth" doesn't win this, I'll be very angry!

YAY! It won! Now if only people will listen.....

Edited by Claygasm

"Little Miss Sunshine" came out a few months ago on DVD. It's a strange little movie, but it has heart, and I loved it.

YAY for "An Inconvenient Truth" -- I actually saw that one in the theater! My political statement of the year.

Hee Al is so Hollywood!!!

Awww...that was short and moving speech...I just think he cares more about this than being US president cos he sounds truly passionate about it...

And, in a way, he may be of MORE good for this cause by NOT being President. He can pour his heart and soul into this one cause and get it off the ground, hopefully...because we'll need it!

Well at this point if she comes out with a good CD ...she can establish herself as a singer...then she can work at building her acting resume.

I think what made her win was the fact that she was truly able to move people by her performance. I really think that even other actors had to acknowledge that.

The question now...will RCA know what to do with her. I think at this point it is vital that they go for critical accalim than for commercial success in her music.

I heard that Celine's quitting her Vegas show after this year....man. She made some big bucks doing that, fo sho. I was thinking....I wonder if Clay's watching the Oscars...maybe in jammies and tee shirt with some friends at his 9,000 sq.ft. crib? :medium-smiley-070:

I'm wondering if the way Little Miss Sunshine is going, it might win the Best Picture Oscar. If it did, I think that might be the first time that the Independent Spirit Award winner and the Oscar winner are the same picture. I think.

Yes, I'm imagining Clay with Raleigh and Durham watching the Oscars, and snarking on practically everything.

Beyonce is good, but it sure looks like she's trying to keep up with Jen, rather than the opposite. Jennifer seems effortless - Beyonce, contrived.

I wonder why Eddie didn't sing Patience? He sang it in the movie.

Edited by cindilu2

I remember now what I didn't like so much about Jennifer's voice. She has a very strident quality to it. When you listen to her next to Beyonce it really sounds that way. Beyonce's voice has a much more pleasant quality to it, as does the other woman from "Dreamgirls" whose name I can't remember. JMO and all that.