#1 - Ready for your constant state of celebration

Well, it hasn't exactly been a banner day for the Clay Nation has it? I am considering fitting my penguin posse with frickin' lasers, and training them to target flashers. Any volunteers willing to house them on the east coast? They are actually pretty low maintenance little guys, and are content to splash around in the tub when they are between missions. A little air freshener will take care of that herring smell.... :P

I suspect there are a number of New Yawkers that are just itching to go after the flashers. "Honestly, Officer, I carry that pepper spray for protection on the subway. I have no idea what made it go off in that lady's face." :blink:

Or maybe I should go back to offering cyber-hugs, and skip the snark.

bottlecap - don't skip the snark!!

Would it be okay to keep the penguins outside and just fill up a paddle pool for them? I love penguins, but not enough to keep them in my house. Especially not if they're practicing for their Mongolian country number.

OK...don't know where my post went...I scanned quickly to see if I edited someone by mistake. Now I think I just hit PM instead of Post. LOL. It must be the giddiness of finding a new job and getting the hell out of dodge. I have never had a job before that literally made me sick and glory hallelujah I'm leaving that shit behind.

Now, what I said in this post that went who knows where..that YES, I'll set up a thread for us to just chat during the concert -- about the concert and Clay and whatever else we want to talk about. I hate copying and pasting reports. It's a chore and really I don't see the need to duplicate that. I will post links to CB and Clayversity for those that want to follow the action step by step. I also really really hate chat because my eyes are so bad and the fast moving lines just really bother them. So, come on by tomorrow during the concert and we'll listen to Clay and talk about it and whatever else is on your mind.

I gave big hugs to Skatejoy. I know how she feels about Clay's fans some of the time. Fortunately for me I learned to separate him from them a long time ago. 90% of the time I love all of Clay's fans. The other 10% I want to throttle them.

I hope you have no trouble tomorrow with taking photos... and they can throw in a Jerome pat down for free!

And I sent Bottlecap a nice big bwah for always bringing a smile to my face.

OK let's see if this posts.

Would it be okay to keep the penguins outside and just fill up a paddle pool for them?  I love penguins, but not enough to keep them in my house.  Especially not if they're practicing for their Mongolian country number.

Okay, you actually can find anything on the internet. Did a little research on Mongolian cowboys, and came across this piece on npr.org. Check out the picture gallery: Picture 3 - the back-up musicians for Clay's new Mongolian country CD, which will include, per Picture 5, yak milking lullabies. Who knew you had to get yaks in the mood?

Edited by bottlecap

Okay, you actually can find anything on the internet.  Did a little research on Mongolian cowboys, and came across this piece on npr.org.  Check out the picture gallery:  Picture 3 - the back-up musicians for Clay's new Mongolian country CD, which will include, per Picture 5, yak milking lullabies.  Who knew you had to get yaks in the mood?

With Clay's soothing lullaby voice, I bet he could get enough milk out of a yak to fill an entire year's worth of all those bottles that he loves to line up so much. But with such a large supply, I guess he wouldn't have enough room to shift them around and adjust their positions and whatnot (I'm still talking about the bottles). Hey, at least he wouldn't have to worry about who's watching him buy milk at the store anymore!

Anyway, I was doing my usual late night catch-up of the latest goings-on in the Clay Nation, and I was quite saddened to learn about what happened in Reading last night. And on his birthday, too.

Hugs to Skatejoy -- I hope you have a wonderful time at your concerts.

Congratulations to Couch Tomato on the new job!

And bottlecap, yes, Sun is a lucky woman. Oh my.

Edited by bonniemeadow

New York, New York / It's a wonderful town / The Bronx is up / and the Battery's down / New York, New York / It's a wonderful town!

Hee. I'm picturing Clay in the Frank Sinatra role in "On the Town". Tall, skinny, long-legged singer in a sailor suit. Gah!

I woke up in a much better mood this morning, and I'm optimistic about the New York City three-fer. Fingers crossed for lots of pictures and detailed recaps from Jen, diamondjake2001, Skatejoy, buzztechie, and any other lurkers that may be going over the week-end. Whatever happens, enjoy it and have a great time!

I watched the Reading birthday banter, and it really was a hoot. Keeping with the theme of this post, the audience singing did sound a little like a group of drunken sailors. What fun! :P

I also watched "Good News". Honestly, the vocal performance was still strong, and if you didn't have other, more expressive performances to compare it to, I'm not sure someone seeing it for the first time would pick up on Clay's distress. YMMV, of course. I hope it never happens again.

I also watched "Good News".  Honestly, the vocal performance was still strong, and if you didn't have other, more expressive performances to compare it to, I'm not sure someone seeing it for the first time would pick up on Clay's distress.  YMMV, of course.  I hope it never happens again.

I had the same thought...it's VOCALLY very beautiful. But watching it, for me, was painful. What killed me was his expressive hands were missing. He so uses his hands to express that message of good news in so many of his performances. With this one...nada. That was sad.

Happy concert day Jen, Skate, buzzie, diamondjake, and any other lurkers attending the concerts this weekend!!!

Things have been crazy for me the last couple of days. Add that to the fact that I was fuming yesterday over the flash fiasco & I chose to not write a recap. I did rant a bit at CV while I worked on my videos. I have uploaded my videos to my home board Best of Clay. Best of Clay Scroll down to my post. Please right click & save once you get there.

The concert was magical. The excitement of the crowd was palpable & the birthday celebration was perfect. The crowd lept to our feet when Clay came out & he was overwhelmed & a bit embarrassed. There were so many wonderful moments & then Good News. :angry: I'm still in mourning. It was painful & I am praying that we won't have to endure that ever again.

I'm going to try to forget about it and just try to remember the rest of the night. I sat amongst other fans who were totally unspoilered. I went alone & did not know the ladies sitting around me but it was so much fun hearing their quiet comments during the show. The lady to my right kept saying to herself, "Wow Clay is a wonderful playwright." The lady to my left swooned over & over again. We were in the 12th row & she couldn't believe how close we were. Of course, this was my 'worst' seat for this tour. Really made me realize how spoiled I am. They both loved the show but were really really upset about the flashes. The lady to my right (petite quiet oriental) was so upset that when the lights came on she started bellowing "What part of NO FLASHES did you not understand people" I'm sure it made quite an impression coming from this tiny woman.

Man no matter what I write I keep coming back to the disaster. Sorry, I guess I'm not over it yet. :(

Well, I've got to get on the road soon. Hopefully, I will remember more good stuff later.

There is a picture of Clay (from GMA this summer) on the Kenneth Cole website. Maybe it's an indicator that the relationship will be ongoing, which is cool. (As long as Clay gets to keep wearing the funky Paul Smith socks!)

bottlecap, I hope you don't mind that I took that over to the CH. That's a great find...he looked so dapper that day. He always manages to look pretty darn good at GMA...well, except for the first Diane Sawyer interview right after AI2 was over...that wasn't a particularly good day.

diamondjake, I totally understand your feelings about the Reading show. Hopefully, your memories of the rest of the show will outlive that 5 minutes at the end.

ETA: Pictures of Clay at New York City school today

Edited by ldyjocelyn

OH shit..>I knew I did something. Sorry Playbiller! Just when I lived it down from the last time.

Anway, I did create a thread to chat for anyone that wanted to. I'm leaving work now. I hope Clay had a happy birthday and that the audience respects the flash policy tonight.

I'll bring this over from the concert chat thread:

Speaking of video...I haven't made the announcement yet...but in the spirit of Clay it forward, and thanks to the very lovely Scarlett, the Kansas City JNT05 will be available on DVD. I know there are many folks out there that may be on dial up, or have older computers, or maybe you aren't computer savvy enough to make your own DVDs.

But with some help from my friends, I'll be offering that DVD to anyone that wants one. Just PM me and let me know that you want one...simple as that. Everyone who receives one can make as many copies as they want as long as they give them away for free and they don't alter the originals. With enough people with DVD burners in Clay Nation, this, we hope, should cut a huge chunk out of the eBay profiteers' market.

And according to Scarlett, they are working on Borgota JBT 09/01/05 for the next DVD.

So PM me with your address if you'd like a DVD. I don't have my copy of it yet so I'll make announcements when I do and let everyone know when I'll begin mailing them out. If you have a DVD burner and would like to help out let me know that as well.

Lots of TV appearances to look forward to, per the OFC:

CBS Early Show on Monday, December 5th - this will be a live performance, so EEEE! for that. The taped Christmas performances on TES last year were nice, but live with an audience is so much better.

Entertainment Tonight, tentatively on December 5th. The ET cameras were at the NYC Beacon Theater Show on Friday night, so it may be a backstage piece. There are cellcert reports that various fans were interviewed. Cool!

Dear Santa on FOX December 9th.

ABC Good Morning America on December 9th. I haven't seen any details on this yet, so live or taped?

playbiller, read your recap in the concert thread. Your puppy story was very sweet. Sniff. Looking forward to hearing from the other concertgoers, and checking out the pictures.

A really great interview in Fly Magazine, which appears to be an entertainment paper in the Philly area.

An interesting excerpt:

FM: Another thing that’s changed is that you’ve become this full-on sex symbol for a lot of people!

CA: That part scares me! I haven’t wrapped my head around that. [laughs] That just frightens me. I’m worried about America’s taste! [laughs] That’s probably something I’m not ever going to quite get. It’s flattering, so I won’t complain, but I’m baffled.

FM: In a position like yours, everybody’s so interested in your personal life. Suddenly I’m reading things about you, everything from stories about your childhood petsto speculation on your sexual orientation and everything in between. Does that weird you out?

CA: It’s tough. At the very beginning of the process, it’s quite a shock. You don’t understand why people are asking these things. I had a goat – who cares? And I didn’t tell anybody that. There are times that I look on the internet or read a message board and they’ll know things about me that I didn’t know. [laughs] “I never told anybody that! How did they find out?” So at first it’s a shock. And then later on it’s not as shocking but still upsetting. And then after a while, it’s just like having a gnat in your nose. You just want to kill it. [laughs] It becomes unfortunately a negative part of what you do, and you need to kind of live with it. But if you could get up your nose and kill it, you would do it. [laughs] It’s not so easy sometimes.

More 12/2/05 UNICEF school visit pictures here. Love the black puffy jacket / limo shots!

Edited by bottlecap

CA: It’s tough. At the very beginning of the process, it’s quite a shock. You don’t understand why people are asking these things. I had a goat – who cares? And I didn’t tell anybody that. There are times that I look on the internet or read a message board and they’ll know things about me that I didn’t know. [laughs] “I never told anybody that! How did they find out?” So at first it’s a shock. And then later on it’s not as shocking but still upsetting. And then after a while, it’s just like having a gnat in your nose. You just want to kill it. [laughs] It becomes unfortunately a negative part of what you do, and you need to kind of live with it. But if you could get up your nose and kill it, you would do it. [laughs] It’s not so easy sometimes.

Wow, the whole entire interview is just great. But this was amazing. He's such an entertaining guy to follow. There's nothing PC about him. May he NEVER EVER have a publicist breathing down his neck during interviews. I dont' care if he makes a mistake now and then that upsets people. And frankly I don't consider them mistakes. As much as I love Clay -- he's a popstar -- there's just not much he can say that will upset me. I just find it all interesting.

Don't mock puffy jackets - it was cold and is getting colder in the city - puffy is good if you don't want to go furry.

Nope, the puffy jacket is fine. I understand he's a pasty southern boy with thin blood. [The wind in Ohio made me exclaim "Holy Crap" a couple of time myself yesterday]. I just enjoyed the expression on his face in the first limo picture. I realize he is probably just yelling good-bye to someone in the crowd, but he looks like he's just been goosed, and is letting loose with the Emmy red carpet squeal. :D

Couchie, I've noted before that Clay can be very cagey in some of his interviews. He sometimes doesn't answer the interviewers' questions directly, but he does make his point. YMMV, of course, and we have no idea what gets edited, omitted, or otherwise manipulated by the writer. I do appreciate when the writers make it clear when Clay is joking around. The Fly Magazine writer asked some good questions, I thought, and I was impressed with the write-up.

From Heidiseek at the CB:

I went to the Reading show (which was great) and talked to the father of one of the kids in the show. We were curious as to what the child told him about being with Clay. He said he wasn't able to reach him (I guess cell phones were turned off) so he won't know until he sees him after the show. I jokingly said "oh, email me, I would love to know what he thought of Clay. I know he'll have a great time because Clay is a teacher and is great with kids." He asked for my email address and I gave it to him. He said he would have his young son email me directly. I told him I would really appreciate that.

The next day there was the email! I don't know how to copy or any of that computer stuff but what he said was.....

It was fun working with him. He was very nice and not selfish or anything. He introduced himself to all of us, and was very kind. When we rehearsed he wore pajamas with penguin slippers. Yea it was pretty funny. It was fun to work with him.

That's for you bottlecap :lol:

I know this is completely off the subject of what is being discussed, but I could not help myself :) . Remember a couple of years ago when Clay did that duo with Bing Crosby on the Christmas special (which I have downloaded and looked at many times, if I may just say); I just saw the original one with David Bowie and Bing Crosby. Man o Man, Clays version is so much better. Voice to voice, Clay could out sing David Bowie on any given day and this is just to prove it. :rolleyes:

Anyway that is my rant for this afternoon. Thank you for being so patient with me.

georgiaclay, I watched the Clay / Bing duet myself this afternoon, for the first time in a long time. I forgot how fabulous Clay sounded on his part - what bell-like clarity and great tone he had. Oh, and he looked pretty handsome in his overcoat and tux, too. Have we seen him perform in a standard tux since then? Anyway, yes, Clay is definitely a better crooner than David Bowie.

I find it very hard to listen to any other vocal Christmas songs. I try to listen to the local radio station that switched over to all Christmas music to see if I can catch a Clay song, but I just can't bear to listen to anybody else. There is so much dreck out there! If I never again hear "Rocking Around the Christmas Tree" in this lifetime, that's be fine with me. I'll stick with my Christmas Clack, and my Nutcracker and Messiah CDs, thankyouverymuch! :D

And georgiaclay, don't be shy! There are no really long running conversations in this thread (although, there tends to be a continuous penguin theme at times that I might possibly be partly responsible for), so post your observations any time!

I really liked that interview in Fly Magazine. He sure comes up with the most interesting, colorful metaphors to illustrate his point.

OT, but sort of related. I paid a visit to my ex-boyfriend this weekend, and I noticed that he kept using the word "whatnot" during our conversation. I found myself wondering if his frequent use of this term was a recent phenomenon, or if I am only just now noticing it because of my heightened awareness of anything Clay-related. :lol:

bonniemeadow, that's very funny. Those Aikenisms certainly penetrate the subconscious, don't they? If your friend starts using "dadgum" in conversation, too, then I think you might have a secret ClayDawg on your hands.

In other news, the boss is out this week, and I was trying to decide if I need to accidently "forget" to go to a scheduled meeting this morning, due to another appointment. Doesn't an Aiken appearance on the Early Show take precedence over, you know, actual work?

An interview from the Boston Globe:

Clay Aiken, guardian angel? The ''American Idol" runner-up has cast himself in a Michael Landon-esque role in his holiday tour, which arrives at the Orpheum tomorrow night. In between crooning ''O Holy Night" and ''Jingle Bells," he helps a widow find some Christmas spirit in the pageant-cum-pop-concert. If Aiken was a true angel, however, he would be helping Justin Guarini. Maybe next year. This year the infamously nice Aiken was happy to phone us from Pittsburgh and chat about the current production.

Q: I was reading a little bit about the show, and it sounds a little dark. There's a widow who's depressed on Christmas, and a neglected kid who wanders in on her. Am I getting this right?

A: You're getting it right, but you're looking at it in a dark way. I would not see it as dark at all. I think it's a very classic Christmas-type tale. If you think about it, most Christmas shows start with someone who doesn't have the Christmas spirit, and then they gain it by the end of the show. Are you coming to see it?

Q: I'm not sure. I think that's the night I'm mulling cider.

A: I think you should see it, because it's not very dark at all. It starts out gloomily. Hmm. That's interesting. I'm going to have to watch it tonight and see if it looks that way.

Q: You sound like a really nice, polite guy . . .

A: [giggles]

Q: . . . I'm wondering if you've ever been tempted to call Ruben Studdard and say, ''I may have come in second place, but I'm starring in TV specials with Barry Manilow and playing stadiums, and you're playing the grand opening of the Burger King in Anaheim"?

A: Ohhhh. Wait a minute. No, no, no. I'm proud of both of us. There's no way. If I said that, you know what would happen the next week? I'd start singing at grand openings for Burger King. We've each had our own successes in different ways. I think Ruben is thrilled with what he's doing. He's working on his next album. It's interesting -- a lot of times people assume that I've done better. But he's had better radio play than I have by far. It's all a matter of perception.

Q: You were on the cover of a Christian magazine last year talking about being a God-fearing pop star, but I was on your website and found that you're selling Clay Aiken thongs for 10 bucks a pop. Where does that fit into being a good Christian pop star?

A: First of all, do you think that Christians don't wear underwear? Of course they do!

Q: A thong is a bit more skimpy than underwear.

A: We started that because when I was on the ''American Idol" tour we had a lot of people that for some reason wanted to throw underwear at me on stage. So we decided as a joke a few tours back to sell underwear. They sold so well that we had to keep selling them. The religious right is very vocal in their opinions, and no one seems to have a problem with it. I have a very religious family, and they're not concerned about it at all. Because you know what? People who love God wear underwear also.

ETA: I had to pop back in and add another comment. I just watched the 12/4 TFN by jojoct (what, I admitted the boss is out), and just WOW. I swear, his right hand has a life of his own, his vocal is spot on, and the crowd went nuts at the end. He does a little head shake at the crowd response, like he can't believe it, and shoots a glance over to Angela. Very cool. Check it out if you can.

Edited by bottlecap