Shaping up - Diet and exercise

Couch Tomato

Good Job luckiest I don't know how you keep losing those pounds.

I couldn't go to the gym for almost a month because I hurt my back but now I'm on the mend and am doing both the cardio and weights. I'm being careful with the weights for now. Didn't gain much but all of my hard work in the gym was starting to go away.

I can keep the 15lb loss off but have a lot of trouble going beyond that which is why I started the weights. I too have changed the way I eat and will never go back because all that fat stuff makes me sick to my stomach.

laughn , you can't pick me cuz I'm not going but Gibby and luckiest should be ready for prime time! :imgtongue::clap:

Heh, don't pick me. I'm already looking for someone to read mine if I win. :cryingwlaughter: I don't do public speaking.

Good for you for getting back to the gym, Toots. I hate exercise, I really do. Thank goodness I enjoy walking, but that is not going to last much longer, because I hate the cold. So I have to find something to do in the winter, and I figure at least the gym has a track that I can walk, where it's warm. Maybe I'll feel inspired to do some aquatics or something while I'm there.

I think the reason I keep losing is that my body is still in shock over the lack of sugar in my diet. I seriously was a sugar junky before this. I thought nothing of eating a slab of fudge in one sitting or eating brown sugar off a spoon. Now the only sugar I get is the natural kind, in fruit.

Well ladies, I'm going for the second 15lbs starting today. I've been able to maintain the first 15lb loss so it's time to move on down the scale again.

Wish me luck because it means I'm going to have to cut my food ration back because what I do in the gym is all that I can do...also do water aerobics. I do have a penchant for Big Hunks candy bar (and yes those too) :hubbahubba: so they can't come home with me from the grocery store anymore. Damn, I do love those things and the strange thing is I don't eat any other sugar.

Good luck, Toots! And ITA, the only way to stay away from those bad-for-you things that you can't resist, is to not buy them. I know, I bought a few when I got home from Vegas and I've really fallen off the wagon, just having them in the house. I weighed myself this morning and I'm up a couple of pounds.

But I decided today was the day, too! Hee, I've pretty much eaten the bad stuff now. I went for a walk at lunch (even though it was overcast and drizzling). I only brought healthy food to work and had no money to buy anything else. LOL. Now if I can just get through dinner and evening snacks.....

:cryingwlaughter:

*grumble grumble*

What are you two doing, lucky & toots? Trying to be good, and maybe even an inspiration?? Hmmmpphhh! My life has been crazy busy the last few weeks, and I haven't been able to go to the gym once! That's a long time for me. But now I've gotten lazy and it's hard to get myself to go back. *whines* But I suppose since the two of you are working on getting in shape, I should, too. Hubby and I promised each other that we'd go to the gym tonight, so we're going to get back on the old bandwagon, too. I do have a pretty new pink Vegas tank top to wear to the gym, and new Vegas clack on my treo, so that will help!

I just returned from the gym where I did my 20 minutes elliptical and 1/2 hour weight routine. I usually do another 20 minutes on the treadmill but it does hurt my back sometimes so I passed. I'm also taking the weights a bit easy for a while because my back is better but not completely well yet. I really like to work out and it felt good so I'm getting back in the routine starting today.

You two went to Vegas and probably ate too much but that's fun to do sometimes. We do pay for our folly!

Good Luck ladies..

O.K. so I do water aerobics 2 days a week and work on cardio and weights most of the other days in the week. I've gone back to reducing my food portions for the end goal of another 15 lbs. Yesterday was my gym day and I was tired so I thought of every reason in the book not to go but in the end the good side of me said GO GO so off I went. I feel like a pig routing around for something sweet to replace those damn Big Hunks. Almost went to the store and picked one up with the other things I didn't need butttttttttt I didn't go to the store and didn't eat anything sweet. It seems exercise does help my sweet tooth.

I feel like a saint today :cryingwlaughter: Whew that was a an uphill battle all day but I made it so all is well! :whistling-1:

How are you ladies doing? I'm thru with the 6 wk weight training (mostly machine weights) so now I'm going to hire the trainer to learn the cable weights and more free weights. Gibby, do you work out on cable weights?

Lucky, you probably lost another 2 lbs while I was editing this post!

couchie, if you decide to come in here we'll be gentle, promise!

Wow, couchie, 3 1/2 miles is great! Good going.

Lucky, you probably lost another 2 lbs while I was editing this post!

Umm, no, but I may have gained 2. Eeeep, I can't seem to get back in the swing of things since Vegas. I have had two lunch dates, today and yesterday, with old friends, and have pigged out both times. Then I have been snacking on things like chips and dip at night while I watch tv. It's bad. Maybe next week I can get back on track.....hope so, anyways.

I'm having trouble getting back into exericising, too, lucky. One problem is that I've been so dang tired in the evenings when I usually go to work out. Of course, that wouldn't have anything at all to do with staying up late on the boards . . .

Couchie, good going! The trick is to do it frequently. Course, I'm not one to talk about frequency right now! :cryingwlaughter:

Toots, I'm impressed with your committment to your new program! Good going! I do cable weights, free weights, and machine weights. It's a good combination, as each kind of weight lifting is a bit of a different challenge for your muscles. I wouldn't have any idea how to do all of this except that I had personal training.

I really need to get myself together. This summer we rode our bike alot and did about 2000 miles. My weight never changed one bit. My husband and I usually walk a few times a week, about 3 miles each time, but when it gets snowy and icy on the road we will not be going out. I guess then I will have to use my indoor equipment. Ski season will be starting soon and I usually ski 3-4 times a week. All this and I do not loose anything. I need to loose about 30 pounds. The only thing that worked last time was to eat about 1000calories a day. I am just having a hard time making myself to that. It is hard when I look at two of my sister who wear size 0 and 2. I am not proportional, I wear a size 6-8 on the bottom and a size XL on top. That breast reduction looks good at time.

Hee, I was flipping channels tonight, and came across Super Size Me, which was just starting. I'd heard a lot about it but had never seen it, so I sat down and watched. I don't think I will ever eat McDonalds again.

gbmifan, sure sounds like you are plenty active. Usually it's the other way around - people can diet until they are blue in the face, but don't like to exercise. I think it's important to do both - eat healthy and exercise. I am pretty negligent on the exercise side still. But I only wish I was down to a size 6 or 8 in pants! I'm down from an 18 to a 14 and I'm loving that. But I really think it's going to be a lot harder for me to lose weight in the winter than it was in the summer. I just seem to have the instinct to stay indoors where it's warm, and eat. I figure I will try my best to stay out of fast food joints, I will buy only healthy foods, and I will continue to drink my water and count my calories. Next paycheck I am vowing to join the gym down the road. This paycheck I spent every extra penny for the things I put on my Visa in Vegas, and to pay for my Spamalot tickets. Priorities, priorities..... :cryingwlaughter:

I have always been real active but have always battled my weight. Three years ago I lost weight and got down to a size 4. I worked hard at it because I had to take my senior ski patrol exam and wanted to wear a one piece outfit so they go see what I was really doing instead of wearing a big jacket. Now it has gradually come back on and I am not happy. When I took that exam I was skiing 5 days a week and working out at the same time. I think alot has to do with the fact that I hate doing it by myself all the time. I try to get my friends to walk or ride their bike with me but I do not get far. Michigan weather can get rough sometimes, so doing things other than skiing outside is hard during the months from Dec. to about March. But I have made my mind up that after the Holidays I will get busy. My youngest son is getting married next year and I want to be able to find something that will look good on me.

gbmifan, you are so active, it would be difficult to eat 1000 calories and keep up that regime. If you wear a 6-8 and want to lose weight you must be short. Too bad exercise and diet won't reduce the topside but it doesn't work that way does it?

I guess it works differently for everyone. I never did measurements but I kind of wish I did. I know I have gone down from an XL t-shirt to a large or in some cases even a medium, and I've lost a full bra size. My problem is more the tummy area which doesn't seem to change no matter how much weight I lose!

Yes, I am short, almost 5 ft. But I am top heavy, I wear a H bra. That makes finding some clothes hard. When I am 30 pounds lighter it is easier to find clothes. I am promising myself that I have to lose some because I do feel better when I am ligher. My knees hurt when I have added weight. When I ride by bike or ski that helps and they do not hurt as much. I work in a Pediatric Intensive Care Unit and work normally a 12 hour shift and I am on my feet all day. Most days I usually get about a half hour break all day. When less weight is involved it helps the fatique factor.

OK, I'm here to vent....and hopefully we can send some encouragement to each other this time of the year.

I started my exercise plan two years ago, and I've been pretty darn faithful about it. I go to the gym three times a week, with a combination of machine weight work and cardio (usually the treadmill, lately the recumbent bicycle due me twisting my knee a few months ago). I also try to walk a mile on the days I don't go to the gym, and usually succeed on two of those days. I managed to lose about 15 pounds in approximately 6 months time, and was holding steady there for a while.

But in the past 4 months, my weight has started creeping back up. Yes, I know exactly the reason -- my eating habits. Actually, I'm not a snacker with one exception -- I usually have a bowl of cereal or a small bag of popcorn at night. Well, I've got to cut those out now. My main problem is simply that I like cooking and food too much. Rice and potatoes are my biggest problem. I could LIVE on those two items alone. Also, portion sizes -- I know I simply take too much on my plate. I'm asking for a kitchen scale for Christmas, and I'm hoping that will help.

Anyway, I'm just venting....but I'm hoping we can start posting our "little" successes here. I may just start posting with "I didn't have cereal tonight!" just to keep me motivated.....

We're going to get through this together, right?

Little successes? OK. I ate baked crackers and a low-fat slice of cheese during House last night. I shouldn't have eaten anything,a s I was already over my allotted calories for the day, but heck, it was better than the BBQ chips and sour cream dip I was craving, right? :imgtongue:

Good job luckiest1! See, that's the thing I'm talking about...I'm sure you were craving those chips, but you made a smarter choice. Good for you!

I know for me, the cereal thing at night is simply "bored hungry." With there not being much going on in the Clay fandom right now (ie., no concerts to keep me busy), I tend to watch TV and eat. I need to break that habit. Of course, that also probably means I need to break my habit of watching Food TV. *g*

I'm also going to start trying to make an effort to do more Dance Dance Revolution! My husband and I have that for our Wii machine, and it's got a workout feature. You set the number of calories you want to burn, and it takes you through what they say you've burned. I did 50 calories the other day and it took me about 12 minutes. It's a fun way to do it too, and you can work up to harder levels (which will of course burn more calories).

That sounds like a cool feature, ldyj. Amost makes me want to break down and buy the damned Wii for my son for Christmas. LOL. Although I think now he has moved on to wanting the new Playstation. How many game systems does one kid need, anyways? :blink:

Yesterday I just didn't feel like walking at lunch (cool, wet weather isn't conducive to me going outside) so last night I made myself take the dog for an extra walk. We went to a street that I don't usually walk, but it was nice, with so many people already putting out their Christmas lights. I enjoyed it, and it didn't rain on me, thankfully. I am still hoping to get my gym membership for next week. We are supposed to get a few inches of snow tonight, and I know once that happens, and it sticks, I won't feel like walking outside anymore. I dislike the cold, but I am also allergic to it, it makes me break out in hives on any exposed skin. So unless I wrap a scarf around my face, I get a reaction every time it goes below freezing. I am looking forward to being able to walk a warm track at the gym.