Clay Chat for summer 2007!

ldyjocelyn

It is more than ignore them - I have decided gossip bloggers are so annoyingly in league and profitting from making stuff up, I have stopped going to sites like fugly, etc. I encourage everyone one I know to examinethemselves and not supports such things (and they don't ... in front of me.

I have a friend who buys and believes the inquirer - I think she is an ass, we are still friends, but I do think of her as my friend, the ass. I am not such a nice person, I guess. But as I have posted on other topics - I have friends that realy scareme with their thinking process, won't convince me they are not nice people, but I think something got in the water and affected people's brains.

Some times, I think it would be nice if we had appointed replyers when their is a technical mistake and one person could send in the correction, rather than hundreds, but that is just a dream.

Some times, I think it would be nice if we had appointed replyers when their is a technical mistake and one person could send in the correction, rather than hundreds, but that is just a dream.

And levity and humor is also the way to go. Stop being so damn hysterical.

In general, I'm not going to say I hate letter writing. It's ok if done correctly. Not the gnats...but the supposedly reputable forms of media...

OK, then -- ignore it is. But then, let's get to this question (unofficial, not on the list) -- why do fans feel they need to fight the good fight?

Same reason they think they have to handle his PR, the distribution of his album in stores, his track list, his producers, his song choices, his wardrobe, his love life?

I think we'll be getting into that a little more later...*g*

How much more on this topic?

OK, then -- ignore it is. But then, let's get to this question (unofficial, not on the list) -- why do fans feel they need to fight the good fight?

I guess there are a million different reasons. I'd be trying to second guess why if I tried, but I guess some of them could be:

1) "supporting" Clay in that way is part of the "support" package they feel they signed up for.

2) Fighting for Clay is an extension of fighting to protect their "fandom" - like people making fun of Clay are, by extension, making fun of them.

3) He's just a sweet young thing and nobody should hurt him and he told us to "use our voices".

4) The AI rivalry started out being a competition and people are still "voting".

For me.... this is Clay's story. Period. It's his to live, his to tell, his to drive. I am simply along for the ride - to enjoy, to watch the professional career of another human being doing something I would have loved to do. If he asks me to vote, buy, support, do whatever, I will consider it because he's kinda cute and he asked... but other than that, I am a consumer of the Clay Aiken product. And I am a participant in a group of fans, doing fan things, like going to shows, sharing stories with fellow fans, meeting him if/when I can, etc... That's the role I choose.

This is my biggest fan bugaboo... When I say I TRY to let fans be fans in whatever way they want, this is my challenge because I get really ticked when people try to tell Clay's story for him. The man can speak for himself. Period.

What is worse is the defensiveness of fans who do feel the right to reply - don't you dare hint they might not be helping or you will get labeled as a trouble maker (I think I have that rep at a bunch of places, that of boat rocker)

I admit I wrote to sponsors of PETA, I never wrote to Conan, it takes a lot to make me write, I am even lax on writing politicians, I should do it more.

For me.... this is Clay's story. Period. It's his to live, his to tell, his to drive. I am simply along for the ride - to enjoy, to watch the professional career of another human being doing something I would have loved to do. If he asks me to vote, buy, support, do whatever, I will consider it because he's kinda cute and he asked... but other than that, I am a consumer of the Clay Aiken product. And I am a participant in a group of fans, doing fan things, like going to shows, sharing stories with fellow fans, meeting him if/when I can, etc... That's the role I choose.

This is my biggest fan bugaboo... When I say I TRY to let fans be fans in whatever way they want, this is my challenge because I get really ticked when people try to tell Clay's story for him. The man can speak for himself. Period.

:clap: An its my biggest fan bugaboo too! I never realized it more than after ATDW was released!

Well, there are those who want to mother him so I guess that would be a case of the mother tiger defending her young.

There are those who DO believe being gay is a sin, and they need to make sure their darling Clay isn't pereived as a sinner (the same reason they are sure he's a virgin!).

There are those who need him to be cool and the gay thing, or whatever crap the gnats are spewing doesn't make him cool.

There are those who need to know all there is to know about Clay so they must defend that by proving the gnats wrong.

And there are those who need to run Clay's life.

WORD on all this...another thing...I really think that for some fans, they have gotten so immersed in the Clay world that they have lost perspective in the bigger scheme of things. they end up putting so much importance to a small blog that only a handful of haters or die hard fans care about...two or three mentions get so big in their minds that they truly think there is a big fight going on...something akin to the fight of good and evil...

I say...step away from the computer..and take a look at the big picture....

American Idol influence? Huge. In many ways, Clay is THE American Idol to a lot of people (see "Idol, the Musical.") I don't think he could escape it if he wanted to, so he might as well take advantage of it.

I admit I still hate seeing "Season Two Runner-Up", but them's the breaks.

WORD on all this...another thing...I really think that for some fans, they have gotten so immersed in the Clay world that they have lost perspective in the bigger scheme of things. they end up putting so much importance to a small blog that only a handful of haters or die hard fans care about...two or three mentions get so big in their minds that they truly think there is a big fight going on...something akin to the fight of good and evil...

I say...step away from the computer..and take a look at the big picture....

Bwah! No shit, huh? A little bit overinvested, ya think? :lol:

To be fair though, I try to remember that the fans around me have all come from TOTALLY different walks of life. There's a huge difference to me between someone who's just never been around this stuff being truly surprised at the craziness in the world and responding, even repeatedly.... to the someone's who just need to stir the pot and know FULL well what they are doing.

Oops... next question...

Edited by YSRN

GREAT POINT ANSA...say that in capital letters. If you read everything there is to be written about Clay...you need to put that in perspective. Really it ain't that much and much of it is so obscure.

Idol.

Clay is very much associated with Idol and will be until the day he dies. When he is called the Idol runner up I honestly don't care. I hope he continues to have a relationship with Idol and sings on the show and be one of its favorite su\ons because it has a huge audience and much of that audience loves him.

I'm not a big letter or E Mail writer, I have written a couple of times. I do think there are times that maybe a letter is appropriate, but like Playbiller, I almost wish we could have a designated letter writer. Sometimes the replys or letters I've read that fans wrote made me madder than the original incident that caused the angst to begin with, because they did not paint a very pretty picture of the fandom.

I believe that he will ALWAYS be connected with AI, whether he likes it or not. Does he like it? I actually think he does. I think he knows full well that if he hadn't gone on the show, he'd be a teacher at this point. Therefore, I think he'll be forever grateful to the show.

It felt weird, to me, that Clay wasn't on the show this year. That's another thing -- he seems to genuinely like the people there.

Now, he's said some things this past season that could be considered him eschewing the show. I don't think so. I think he just didn't have a lot of time to focus on the show, and just decided not to get sucked in this year.

I do hate the idol wars. I think they are ridiculous. ALl of these kids are in the same damn boat and we should be fighting the rest of the world together for them. But every group of fans wants to be the most successful, the best singer, the highest seller and so the beat goes on.

Idol.

Clay is very much associated with Idol and will be until the day he dies. When he is called the Idol runner up I honestly don't care. I hope he continues to have a relationship with Idol and sings on the show and be one of its favorite suns because it has a huge audience and much of that audience loves him.

Yep. Me too.

Clay CAME from Idol as sure as he came from North Carolina. It's part of the package we get when we get him. We (and he) are lucky that Idol has grown and been more and more successful each year. Every minute that show stays on air building up audience membership, Clay makes a few more bucks and a few more people are aware of him and what being from Idol really means. If that show had petered out in AI3 or something... it would be a totally different picture.

I say until he gets a CD hit that will get bigger buzz than AI...it will always be a part of his story. Look at Kelly...you would think that after Breakaway, she would really be able to stand on her own...but she still had to be so involved in AI this year.

I really don;t know why clay wasn;t on this year...but I really don't think there is much bad feelings between clay and the AI producers.

Now, he's said some things this past season that could be considered him eschewing the show. I don't think so. I think he just didn't have a lot of time to focus on the show, and just decided not to get sucked in this year.

Clay has always said what he wanted about Idol. I fully expect him to appear on the show again some day. He also tried to separate himself from the show way back in 2004 and some thought he was full of himself and ungrateful.

Love these discussions again!

Question 3:

3) Clay and the American Idol franchise -- how much of an influence does it still have on his career?

Clay and AI will always be connected - and its not always a bad thing. AI is still a powerful entity and let's face it - the majority of people who recognize the name Clay Aiken know him from AI first, last and always!

That also means it influences how the public - the not just us types - see him and what kind of music they expect him to sing. While that may infuriate some who think Clay is destined to be Rock!Star!Clay!, I have a feeling its not too far from the real Clay!

The AI association may help draw attention to him but his future successes are strictly up to him now. He rode the wave of AI with MOAM but while AI can still get him notiriety, I think he's too far removed to still benefit from it sales-wise.

Actually, I know this is heresy, but I think Clay will be associated with Idol until 5 years after it is off the air - long after everyone else is named - he is the only true cinderfella story there, everyone one else was determined to have a career in show business already. - he is the most charismatic of anyone from the show (hence the guys being atracted to him, etc.) - the fan girl in me said that. Yup, Clay is idol, and next year idol better rememberthat ifthey want good ratings!

Edited by playbiller

To me Clay is the person from the show who most exemplifies the shows original concept. Maybe someday it will just be a footnote to his career, like other talent show performers from the past ie, Tony Bennett, Elvis, and wasn't even Frank Sinatra a talent show winner too?

I think it will take a long time though, mainly because the show is still going strong.

To me Clay is the person from the show who most exemplifies the shows original concept. Maybe someday it will just be a footnote to his career, like other talent show performers from the past ie, Tony Bennett, Elvis, and wasn't even Frank Sinatra a talent show winner too?

I think it will take a long time though, mainly because the show is still going strong.

Yes because every year there are retrospectives. We now have the idol rewind. It's a cultural phenomenon and Clay is one of its biggest stars. Shrug.That's just the way it is. Every single year when Idol comes on the Clay mentions increase dramatically. And they are really mostly positive mentions because he was a memorable part of the show from a very popular season.

I think the only reason he didn't watch Idol this year was because he knew he didn't have time t o follow it and he knows how addictive it can be. He did say as much in his blog (or was it an interview?), but some chose to read the secret code that said he really hated AI and that he knew the powers that be at AI hated him because he stole the show during the AI5 finale.

I think he likes AI and is proud to be a product of it - and grateful for all it has given him. Some in this fandom don't even like to say AI has had any influence on his career, that he is where he is all on his own! Poppycock! Let's face it, he may have the talent, but where was it being showcased?

AI and Clay are a part of each other's history and I don't think either one is ashamed of that.

Actually, I know this is heresy, but I think Clay will be associated with Idol until 5 years after it is off the air - long after everyone else is named - he is the only true cinderfella story there, everyone one else was determined to have a career in show business already. - he is the most charismatic of anyone from the show (hence the guys being atracted to him, etc.) - the fan girl in me said that. Yup, Clay is idol, and next year idol better rememberthat ifthey want good ratings!

WORD to both of you...and not only him...but season 2 I think was the best season with reegards to drama and performances. I think if AI2 didn;t happen...AI wouldn't be as big as it is now.