Clay Chat for summer 2007!

ldyjocelyn

WHere did CG go heee. this is her topic.

Clay can look like a little kid and a 30 year old guy, a nerd, a hot pop star, a computer geek, a business man and everything in between He can look really really different from one day to the next. So I really get why the hair changes get to people. For me I don't focus on it too much cuz hair and clothes are just not what I do. I don't get it. I can't tell the difference between much of the styles. It's long. It's short. It's spikey. Like the hair from yesterday..I don't think it was bad..I just don't think the photos were great. I think if say KarenEH had been there with her camera she would have found the HOT. heee.

ETA there she is!!

Heh, I was just getting ready to ask where CG was too, but then saw in preview that she posted.

And her post makes sense to me, even if I don't really agree with it (except for her last paragraph). I guess I'm really like couchie in that I don't "get" hair. I just don't. It's still Clay, no matter what he looks like.

Now his clothes -- for the most part I love his stuff. Every once in a while, though...man, there is an outfit or two that I'd love to burn. (And there would be people that would burn ME because they LOVED the outfit....)

But, as CG says, what he looks like doesn't define my fandom. I can imagine not going to a show just because I hated his hair, or his outfits. Can we say OTT?

Clay can look like a little kid and a 30 year old guy, a nerd, a hot pop star, a computer geek, a business man and everything in between He can look really really different from one day to the next. So I really get why the hair changes get to people. For me I don't focus on it too much cuz hair and clothes are just not what I do. I don't get it. I can't tell the difference between much of the styles. It's long. It's short. It's spikey. Like the hair from yesterday..I don't think it was bad..I just don't think the photos were great. I think if say KarenEH had been there with her camera she would have found the HOT. heee.

Yeppers back atcha!!

I really don't get the hair in depth discussion - this may sound horrible, but to me, Clay basically always has a variation of "white dude hair". He doesn't do dreads, locs, braids, cornrows, unusual colors, fingerwaves, no helicopters, afro puffs. No matter what he does, it tends to look like three quarters of guys in magazines, on tv, or on the street. Bangs? Bowl cut? Various levels of spikes? Bed head? Just don't get it. I do like excessive long though.

BWAH!!

I like excessive long too. And I lurved the beard excessively. Even my Clay-hating sister lurved the beard. She said, "Who's that on your desktop?" "Clay" "Well, I figured it must be, but that guy is a really good-looking man. He should keep the beard."

I think the thing that fascinates me the most about his looks is that he can change from a boy to a man and then back to a boy again. The pictures today was making me say "how adorable is he?" while other pictures say to me "what a hot man!" The chameleon aspect is so cool.

2 more minutes on this topic.

Plus, the disagreeing with friends about the hair is nearly a game for me. heee.

Hee. Exactly. I have no problem with anyone saying he looks like shit. Cuz sometimes he does, and also it means that they are still shocked that he could ever look like shit, which means they are still smitten. :lol:

Complaining doesn't bother me for some reason. If that's how people feel and it's genuine, I'm cool. If they're just being mean, then well, pox on them. I'm not really a "if you don't have something nice to say..." kinda gal.

But yeah, the looks thing counts for me. I don't judge him on it... but I definitely have preferences and have no problem stating them or hearing others.

I love ALL of his clothes though... never saw an outfit I didn't like, except maybe that one in the banner. Shh. :lol:

Edited by YSRN

I think I just like to cut the guy some slack. I can't help but think, "God, I'd hate to be under so much scrutiny about my hair clothes and various other items" I have a son a few months older than Clay and there are only a couple of ways he can wear his hair. (Because he doesn't have much left) he'd probably like to have as much hair as Clay, but I still doubt he would change his hair as much.

But, as CG says, what he looks like doesn't define my fandom. I can imagine not going to a show just because I hated his hair, or his outfits. Can we say OTT?

I don't think many would give up a concert over hair though.

Now clothes I'm more fascinated by. Even though I don't "get" clothes either...I usually do have something to say about what he wears.

I think this is the last topic and I want to thank LdyJ again for putting this together. It was lots of fun..maybe we can just schedule one day a month... I'll leave a topic thread open and when something appeals to you...just add it there. And we can do some again if you feel we haven't wrung every ounce out of it already!

Clay really is a chameleon. I will never forget the one and only time I saw him at the buses. Here I had just seen him on stage looking hot and manly and then out came this little kid (looking all the lsmaller by being with Jerome) in his jammies with his freshly scrubbed face and his hair still wet from his shower. All I could think of was where did my hot pop star go and who is this 12 year old!

No couchie -- don't go!!!

Final topic of the night (and one we've kinda touched on already):

6) The fans: should they be involved in Clay's career? If so, how much? If not, why?

Honestly....I am rather visual about Clay. his look can go from one extreme to the next...from ...WOW, thats hot...humina humina...to yikes or...eh

But I just really don;t care much about it cos I am not really into the hotness of Clay. Oh I love it when he looks hot, but I'm really more into his personality. So like the Canada pictures...not attractive to me at all. But I really don't obsess about it.

I think clothes is another thing I don't really bother with.

I think there's no questions that the fans are involved to some extent in Clay's career. Just look at Kimmel tapes - he mention the 'crazy' fans every time!

As to whether we should have some say in the direction of Clay's career - absolutely not! That's up to Clay, exclusively.

6) The fans: should they be involved in Clay's career? If so, how much? If not, why?

Sure they should be involved in Clay's career -as fans! They should go to his concerts and buy his CDs and stuff like that.

THEY SHOULD NOT TRY AND RUN HIS CAREER OR TELL THOSE WHO DO HOW TO DO THEIR JOBS!!!

Clay has well paid, talented people who work with him and for him and a record label that has been rather successful through the years and I suspect they all know more about Clay's career than any fan does. Doesn't mean they won't make mistakes. Doesn't mean the fans will like everything they - or Clay for that matter - do. We as fans just need to accept that.

When I think of some of the things that happened arpund ATDW - how some fans took it upon themselves to tell everyone from distributors to Roger to the woman filming the CD signing to Clive how to do their jobs - it made me want to scream!

That is NOT in our job description as fans. It never does any good and I believe has the potential for doing harm. We DO have a very important role in Clay's career - being his fans. But that is all.

The fans....ah, the fans....and their involvement in his career. Bad idea. Really bad idea, IMO.

I liked the idea of the CD release parties, especially in the original 2003 state. It was a good way to get buzz for Clay and enjoy him with friends. But the 2006 version lost some innocence. It just felt as if it becamse more about the fans than it did Clay, and that bugged me.

There are several in the fandom that have studied the music business, even before Clay. I like reading opinions from these people, and I've never gotten the feeling that what they say is "fact." That's the key -- several in the fandom feel that they have the facts, and I just can't believe that. I just can't.

That is NOT in our job description as fans. It never does any good and I believe has the potential for doing harm. We DO have a very important role in Clay's career - being his fans. But that is all.

Amen, Sister Claygasm....

Oops forgot about this topic..sorry..not over not over..heee

Oh I think the fans can do some really cool things for Clay. I loved how they responded during Ripagate. Smart, quick, lethal. heee.

I remember when Clay's video was vaulted on TRL...how a group of fans responded to that and made it all fun.

There are so many things that are good.

Recently that little press release of the lamb lady turned into a VERY positive thing IMO.

But that's all luck and I'm wary. I have been contacted many times for stories being done about Clay. I don't feel comfortable involving myself in it so I always say no.

These days I'm wary because famehoing is so prevalent. A lot has become about fans and not Clay. But that's just my opinion.

I also should add that I hate how the fan written narrative is being spread as gospel. I for one ignore anything that hasn't come out of Clay's mouth.

Ah the fan job description -

buy Cds - check

Go to concerts - check

listen to music - check

vote on polls - check

watch Clay on TV - check

Join fan club - check

take clack (well not me)

share clack - check

read about Clay - check

Buy Stuff - check

Discuss all things clay, recognizing they are opinions - check

gossip about Clay's personal or business life - nope.

insult his family members or friends - nope

ETA -

enjoy Clay - check

grow Clay friends into friends - check

volunteer to help BAF- check

Profit from Clay with books or trinkets - nope

Edited by playbiller

I think there's no questions that the fans are involved to some extent in Clay's career. Just look at Kimmel tapes - he mention the 'crazy' fans every time!

As to whether we should have some say in the direction of Clay's career - absolutely not! That's up to Clay, exclusively.

For better or worse, the fans are as much part of Clay's story as AI. That is why I don;t really mind it when stories about him or reviews about his concerts mentions his fans or when the fans attend his TV appearances and become part of the story.

BUT ...what I hate is when the fans do things to get more attention to themselves. I think I was fine with the pre-release parties but I was hoping that was more for the fans...to come together and celebrate clay...not as a way to create buzz for clay or to promote Clay. I think that is TC's job.

I definitely think the fans role is to watch concerts, buy Cds, talk about him on line. period.

Since Claygasm has proven to be my long lost twin, I'll just say, yeah that.

However, I'll add that just because people POST what they'd like Clay to do, does not mean they are trying to control what he does. I think it's better when people can distinguish the difference between armchair quarterbacking and telling Clay what to do as if it will make some difference.

Talking directly to Roger, or Clay, or Mary, or Nick, or Faye (god), or any number of "connections" to try to steer Clay's career = bad.

Talking to fellow fans on message boards = normal.

IMO of course.

Ah the fan job description -

buy Cds - check

Go to concerts - check

listen to music - check

vote on polls - check

watch Clay on TV - check

Join fan club - check

take clack (well not me)

share clack - check

read about Clay - check

Buy Stuff - check

Discuss all things clay, recognizing they are opinions - check

gossip about Clay's personal or business life - nope.

insult his family members or friends - nope

:clap: sums it up for me

A lot has become about fans and not Clay. But that's just my opinion.

And mine too. This speaks volumes.

I also should add that I hate how the fan written narrative is being spread as gospel. I for one ignore anything that hasn't come out of Clay's mouth.

ITA. And it annoys me no end. When Clay says it, I know its true. Otherwise its all just idle speculation.

Like Idol, Clay's fans will probably always be part of the story. The fans can be such a double edged sword. I think fans should do what they can to support Clay's career as fans. Buy CDs, go to his concerts, tell friends about his music and shows and even support causes that are close to him.

As a professional musician, Clay has jpeople to do certain things for him. Maybe we don't always like how they do their job, but we should leave it to them to do it. I'm not saying fans shouldn't try to spread the word a little, but fans writing press releases and calling distributors and telling off DJs just helps to solidify the impression that Clay's fans are "crazy" and doesn't help him IMO.

However, I'll add that just because people POST what they'd like Clay to do, does not mean they are trying to control what he does. I think it's better when people can distinguish the difference between armchair quarterbacking and telling Clay what to do as if it will make some difference.

Talking directly to Roger, or Clay, or Mary, or Nick, or Faye (god), or any number of "connections" to try to steer Clay's career = bad.

IMO of course.

That's a good point....and something I think I do forget. But I think there are some fans that purposefully blur the line between the two. For example -- people who think that Clay reads their words on a message board. While I do think he has someone on his team who peruses the boards, Clay just doesn't have time for that. But there is a sense that I get that some really believe he's hearing them and will be taking his words to heart.

Since Claygasm has proven to be my long lost twin, I'll just say, yeah that.

IMO of course.

And I'll WORD you this time! Its one thing to discuss and extrapolate. That can be fun - as long as everyone knows its just discussion and extrapolation and not gospel. Its another thing to contact members of TC or those who are dealing with TC and tell them what to do.

Like Idol, Clay's fans will probably always be part of the story. The fans can be such a double edged sword. I think fans should do what they can to support Clay's career as fans. Buy CDs, go to his concerts, tell friends about his music and shows and even support causes that are close to him.

As a professional musician, Clay has people to do certain things for him. Maybe we don't always like how they do their job, but we should leave it to them to do it. I'm not saying fans shouldn't try to spread the word a little, but fans writing press releases and calling distributors and telling off DJs just helps to solidify the impression that Clay's fans are "crazy" and doesn't help him IMO.

ETA: My post wasn't that good the first time around, not sure what happened when I edited the first one.

Edited by atinal