Clay Chat for summer 2007!

ldyjocelyn

What I trust is that everyone is looking out for their best interests and that the parties in question are all fully capable of holding their own and nobody is "out to get" anyone else.

YSRN, you speak the truth in my eyes. (BTW, I missed your earlier post -- fantastic viewpoint, I may have to go back to that later).

As for Roger -- I think many of the fans think a couple of things: 1) Roger can just call people and they fall at his feet and say "we'll take Clay, sure!"; 2) Roger (or someone else) should have only Clay as a client. Neither of these things happen in the business from what I know. Publicists work for many artists, unless the artists is a huge superstar. I don't think Clay's there yet. And my first point kind of ties into Clay's star power as well, as Karen Eh? and couchie said -- he's still a celebrity, but the buzz from 3 years ago had dimmed a bit (reignited a bit during AI5 though).

In the end, Roger is doing his job the best he can -- and if Clay didn't like what Roger was doing, I do believe Clay could have had that changed.

Speaking of Nick Lachey - I always thought that song of his, was it called "What's Left of Me" sounded a lot like TRD.

And that's just it. The songs previewed on the JBT, while I liked them (well, expect for ATD, which of course was the one that made the album....), they were just generic pop that sounded a lot like everything else out there. Nothing to make him stand out in the crowd and because of that, I suspect he would have been lost in the crowd - just like Nick Lachey.

What is their relationship? I really don't think Clive Davis gives Clay Aiken that much thought on a daily basis. Which means that I don't think he's made it his mission to teach the young whelp a lesson or ruin his career. As far as the lost album goes, I'd surmise that Clive didn't like what was presented to him after waiting a long time to get it. Assuming (and it's a big assumption) that Clay and Jaymes took their time selecting what they felt to be the right material. Who knows maybe they never found it and when push came to shove and the clock ticked past the time for release, Clive said enough already...do this. Hence the covers mandate. It makes sense that RCA would want to capitalize on whatever buzz Clay had left from Idol and MOAM to make the most money. To wait a long time between the two albums could have seemed like a big risk to RCA and Clive decided he wasn't waiting any longer and exercised his authority under the contract. Then he moved on to his next project that afternoon. Business is business afterall.

I don't know who is doing Clay's PR now but it sure seems much better than last year. I couldn't tell you if that's a function of the publicist or the circumstances. Don't know too much about Roger other than he isn't very tall.

so he put Clay into the teen idol mold...but that didn;t work too good either.

OMG yes. They really tried to market Clay to kids and teens during MoaM. And they sold a shitload of magazine to 40 and 50 year old teens. heee The teen Cosmo was the nadir for me. Marketing him to teens won't work anymore... unfortunately I think the tabloidy crap has hurt him there.

Pffft - even though the salesman would not defend me to a client with a problem, they were fighting over selling meto the next client forthe big bucks - most of my assignments as an employee were successful - they used to throw me into the trouble spots because for some reason, employers liked me, unless I stood up for my personal rights and would not work unpaid for over time (one company) or take the fall for one of their favorite workers (second company - no, credits and debits are not interchangable figures).

Clay content - I believe RCA is looking forwardto Clay's next album. They know it will sell - others from Idol, I am not so sure.

Edited by playbiller

Until then he’ll compromise, and bargain, and do the things we all have to do in life to be successful.

couchie, I'm glad you said that. I'd love for Clay to have everything in the world handed to him....but that's not the world as we know it. So, Clay puts his pants on one leg at a time just like the rest of us. (That's for muski) He's trying his best to be a success, and I think Roger/RCA/Clive want him to be a success too.

I'm giving the topic 5 more minutes!

Ok so Clive....

So here comes a very succesful Christmas CD...then a christmas special that got high ratings but for older demographic...the concerts with audiences that are skewed older...then finally, JBT. He took those classics and delivered them better than the originals...

Frankly...if I was Clive, I would think a covers album would be a no brainer...a cheap no brainer.

I think the other box Clive can put clay in...the artist songwriter. I have a feeling clay ahs been feeling the pressure to write his own songs. I think its possiblt Clive wanted more Clay originals. I think he saw the songs clay and Jaymes put together and thought it would be just a Nick Lachey album..and where did his album go...nowhere. so unless clay can come up with some cool originals and go for the demographic of mayer and Blunt...then he might as well go for the older demo ang go for the nostalgia ...COVERS.

I am very excited when Clay said the next one wold be more creative. I think now that the cover experiment happened...Clive may give Clay more leeway .

OK Ansa lots to think about there. Things I have forgotten. I remember how well Clay's Xmas special did yet the headlines read something else because he didn't win the 18-49 demos. And you are brave to admit you understand where Clive was coming from. It's hard to say because we want the world for Clay - but yeah I can kind of see in the head of that old goat.

Until then he’ll compromise, and bargain, and do the things we all have to do in life to be successful.

couchie, I'm glad you said that. I'd love for Clay to have everything in the world handed to him....but that's not the world as we know it. So, Clay puts his pants on one leg at a time just like the rest of us. (That's for muski) He's trying his best to be a success, and I think Roger/RCA/Clive want him to be a success too.

I'm giving the topic 5 more minutes!

Give that girl a prize!! OF COURSE, RCA/Clive want Clay to be a success!!! This is a business. Success equals money for the business. Which is why I cannot believe anyone thinks they were out to ruin Clay! That just makes no sense!! If they hated him they could fire him!

Just because you don't agree with their method to success doesn't mean they didn't want it. It just means they made a mistake, a miscalculation. There is nothing sinister about it.

I'd love for Clay to have everything in the world handed to him....but

I definitely wouldn't. I wouldn't want that for my kid, or anyone else in my life either. Clay needs to stay on solid ground and that means working through life's issues right alongside the rest of us.... (like you said later, but I wanted to say it too!)

Edited by YSRN

2) RCA/Clive/Roger -- what do you think is the relationship between them and Clay?

I think their relationship is fine. I think they have a guarded respect for each other -- guarded in that they realize it's business, not family or friendships. I don't use the word "trust" in regards to any business. So to say I don't "trust" them to not take care of Clay seems out of place for me. What I trust is that everyone is looking out for their best interests and that the parties in question are all fully capable of holding their own and nobody is "out to get" anyone else.

That's as simply as I can put it.

Good summary...

Roger...I think he is good at what he does. He is not a magician...he can only do so much. But I think like a ot of hollywood types he can be a bit of a drama queen...and sometimes can be a bit loose lipped with the fans. Does that mean he is out to get clay...I don't think so. Just human...

GAH so many great points being made...

word to all!!!

I definitely wouldn't. I wouldn't want that for my kid, or anyone else in my life either. Clay needs to stay on solid ground and that means working through life's issues right alongside the rest of us.... (like you said later, but I wanted to say it too!)

YSRN, will you marry me? *g*

Loved Ansa's reply to this one too!

So, in summary, I think most people think that everyone wanted Clay to be a success. Capish?

Question 3:

3) What do you think is Clay's "musical direction?"

and couchie said -- he's still a celebrity, but the buzz from 3 years ago had dimmed a bit (reignited a bit during AI5 though).

In the end, Roger is doing his job the best he can -- and if Clay didn't like what Roger was doing, I do believe Clay could have had that changed.

I think he could have it changed too if he chose to fight that battle.

The best publicity for Clay out of the entire cycle was a freakin' accident. He put his hands over Kelly Ripa's mouth. And that got him an invite more than likely to that awards show. Who even knows if he'd been invited before that. See how this crap works. And Roger may have been dialing the phone off hte hooks for week trying to negotiate something.

Man, I gotta type faster too!

hee and man this is fun but we may need to scheule 3 minute breaks to catch up on all the reading... LOL.

YSRN..you are wise...I think it is particularly important for clay...he needs a challenge. If everything came easy...he would get bored I think.

Oooh, #3...

As to Clay's musical direction...not a clue. I'm not even quite sure what people mean when they say a musical direction. I like the idea of Clay being a superlative song stylist.

Question 3:

No clue.

Actually, I am not convinced Clay knows what his musical direction is either! I think he is experimenting as he learns more and more about being a creative musician. Before, he sang. He sang really, really well, but he just sang.

I think with ATDW for maybe the first time he created. To me, it was his first foray into becoming an artist, not just a singer. Not sure he's quite there yet, but we've seen flashes - what he did with BW for example. And of course his first real songwriting with LAA.

The way he talked about BW on one of those interviews made me think he really got into creating a special sound, almost like he was painting a picture with the music. That coupled with his recent comment about being more creative made me think maybe his next try at a musical direction may be a sort of new agey type sound.

But maybe not.

Bottom line for me is I don;t think he has a musical direction yet. But he's learning and he's trying different paths and maybe one day he will find the one that most satisfies his artistic soul.

Edited by Claygasm

What is their relationship? I really don't think Clive Davis gives Clay Aiken that much thought on a daily basis. Which means that I don't think he's made it his mission to teach the young whelp a lesson or ruin his career. As far as the lost album goes, I'd surmise that Clive didn't like what was presented to him after waiting a long time to get it. Assuming (and it's a big assumption) that Clay and Jaymes took their time selecting what they felt to be the right material. Who knows maybe they never found it and when push came to shove and the clock ticked past the time for release, Clive said enough already...do this. Hence the covers mandate. It makes sense that RCA would want to capitalize on whatever buzz Clay had left from Idol and MOAM to make the most money. To wait a long time between the two albums could have seemed like a big risk to RCA and Clive decided he wasn't waiting any longer and exercised his authority under the contract. Then he moved on to his next project that afternoon. Business is business afterall.

I don't know who is doing Clay's PR now but it sure seems much better than last year. I couldn't tell you if that's a function of the publicist or the circumstances. Don't know too much about Roger other than he isn't very tall.

I honestly don't think it's any better...there's still negative shit but I have noticed that all of those stupid little negative blog mentions have stopped being posted on major boards. So they disappear into the night just like they should. I still see them in my google alerts. But of course it's better than last year where Clay was no where to be found for the first 9 months while he was under an unrelenting heavy attack. Anything would seem better after that. But a new publicist didn't schedule the UNICEF trip or join it's PR/media team. It's just kismit and timing.

Karen Eh, your first paragraph is the best thing I've read on the topic. Period.

OOPs next subject... heee MUSICAL DIRECTION

I don’t think he knows. I think he is still exploring himself musically. But based on what he has chosen to sing in concert I don’t expect anything wildly different from what we’ve heard already. Clay is who he is. I consider him folk pop with a ballad bent which is definitely old fashioned for this day and age..he was born a decade or two too late. If he surprises me with a rap album or something completely different I’ll buy that too and be happy about it. I'm just along for the ride.

:DoClay:

BWAH

Musical direction -- one of the most overused concepts in the Clay Aiken fandom, IMO. Yes, I know that Clay is almost 30 years old...but does that mean he knows what he wants to do musically? I'm not totally sure about that. I mean -- some people don't settle on a career until their mid-40's or later.

I guess I just feel that musically, Clay will do what he wants, even within given parameters. As someone said earlier, I think too that he chose all the songs for ATDW -- songs with pretty melodies. They are SINGER'S songs.

Now, will he challenge himself in the future with something else? I have no idea!

AH...musical direction....

can we mix pop/country/folk/soul/rock together???

hmmm when you think of it...isn;t that simply what pop is all about?

I definitely don't think he would go Urban...or techno...or hard rock...I don;t think he really eants to go AC either. It seems to me he is resisting that. Maybe because that is what everyone expects of him???

I don't think he wants to compete with Buble or groban...

Upbeat, uplifting, happy, singer interpreter guy. Lite Pop/Rock with an uplifting message? Is that a direction? Who knows...? I'm pretty sure he's gonna sing though. :lol:

he needs a challenge. If everything came easy...he would get bored I think.
Agree totally. He's way too smart for life to be easy. And what a waste that Clay Aiken wouldn't get the opportunity to do difficult and important things in life.

BWAH... I was just gonna say "I gotta peeeee!"!

Heh, I scored a marriage proposal! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

Am I allowed to hate the banner without hurting anyone's feelings? Hee.

ETA:

I consider him folk pop with a ballad bent
That works for me!

Muski really should be here... there are some primo smut opportunities goin' on in here! :lol:

Edited by YSRN

sneaking in one response to the last topic...

Clay has had a real education. He knows all the facts. He has high priced lawyers and advisors. He’ll get out when he can if he is being thrown under the bus. Until then he’ll compromise, and bargain, and do the things we all have to do in life to be successful.

That sums up my opinion, too. It's life. Clay will muddle through. He's neither a victim or the master of the known universe who is entitled, let alone able, to have all he wants at all times.

I think Clay has demonstrated his musical direction, and I think he's still unfolding.

He likes to sing songs with a strong melody that tell a story and highlight the power and range of his voice. Within those parameters he will sing a lot of different genres, from Xmas to spiritual to pop to near-rock to lamentful ballads to show tunes.

He said he wanted more "confident" songs for his sophomore album, and I think we still need the next one to see what he meant by that....I wouldn't call LNM or LAA expressions of confidence.

Sayin' "Hi!" to FCA!

eta:

to throw in soul, folk, R&B into the list of genres he seems to like singing.

Edited by Nelle

Oooh, #3...

As to Clay's musical direction...not a clue. I'm not even quite sure what people mean when they say a musical direction. I like the idea of Clay being a superlative song stylist.

YUP...song stylist is a good thing

Question 3:

No clue.

Actually, I am not convinced Clay knows what his musical direction is either! I think he is experimenting as he learns more and more about being a creative musician. Before, he sang. He sang really, really well, but he just sang.

I think with ATDW for maybe the first time he created. To me, it was his first foray into becoming an artist, not just a singer. Not sure he's quite there yet, but we've seen flashes - what he did with BW for example. And of course his first real songwriting with LAA.

The way he talked about BW on one of those interviews made me think he really got into creating a special sound, almost like he was painting a picture with the music. That coupled with his recent comment about being more creative made me think maybe his next try at a musical direction may be a sort of new agey type sound.

But maybe not.

Bottom line for me is I don;t think he has a musical direction yet. But he's learning and he's trying different paths and maybe one day he will find the one that most satisfies his artistic soul.

WORD...wow this is easy....lots of people are writing my posts for me. hee