Clay Chat for summer 2007!

ldyjocelyn

Musical direction -- one of the most overused concepts in the Clay Aiken fandom, IMO. Yes, I know that Clay is almost 30 years old...but does that mean he knows what he wants to do musically? I'm not totally sure about that. I mean -- some people don't settle on a career until their mid-40's or later.

I guess I just feel that musically, Clay will do what he wants, even within given parameters. As someone said earlier, I think too that he chose all the songs for ATDW -- songs with pretty melodies. They are SINGER'S songs.

Now, will he challenge himself in the future with something else? I have no idea!

I never thought Clay would have pursued a career in music without idol. Yes he would have continued to sing at weddings and locally but that would have been it. When stardom hit he wasn't prepared to just know what he wanted..and there is nothing wrong with that.

Just gotta send a :F_05BL17blowkiss: to Nelle, and ITA with your answer. I get the feeling (and I've been saying this a lot this evening) that many of the fans expect his musical direction to be set in stone by now. It's not, IMO -- and I don't think it ever will fully. He may be "just a singer," but ATDW showed to me that he's an artist too -- one that is in a growth period. He'll keep changing.

Yep, muski is missing some prime smut. Heh.

Well, darn it! My husband is home from the gym and we're going out to eat. This was fun and I'm glad to have gotten some time in the chat.

Quick one on musical direction. Anything but going south suits me fine. What Clay's is....I think he is stilll exloring and he'll get there one day. Right now he's testing himself, taking the challenges and coming out pretty well. Broken Wings and Lover All Alone show he has great potential. Excites the hell out of me to think what he might do someday. I do think he's going to move into his creative element on his own schedule and as he's comfortable doing so. I don't see any sudden lane changes but Lord, it must be amazing to have a tremendous talent like his. I can only imagine what it feels like to see the possibilities open up before him.

He likes to sing songs with a strong melody that tell a story and highlight the power and range of his voice. Within those parameters he will sing a lot of different genres, from Xmas to spiritual to pop to near-rock to lamentful ballads to show tunes.

He said he wanted more "confident" songs for his sophomore album, and I think we still need the next one to see what he meant by that....I wouldn't call LNM or LAA expressions of confidence.

Sayin' "Hi!" to FCA!

eta:

to throw in soul, folk, R&B into the list of genres he seems to like singing.

Whoo hooo..hi Nelle! See you at the concerts!! ITA with this above.

Yeah, the folk pop with a ballad bent...that sounds right...

consider it trademarked heee

I love song stylist too...

he can sang!

I'm glad I type 80 words a minute heee

Well, darn it! My husband is home from the gym and we're going out to eat. This was fun and I'm glad to have gotten some time in the chat.

Quick one on musical direction. Anything but going south suits me fine. What Clay's is....I think he is stilll exloring and he'll get there one day. Right now he's testing himself, taking the challenges and coming out pretty well. Broken Wings and Lover All Alone show he has great potential. Excites the hell out of me to think what he might do someday. I do think he's going to move into his creative element on his own schedule and as he's comfortable doing so. I don't see any sudden lane changes but Lord, it must be amazing to have a tremendous talent like his. I can only imagine what it feels like to see the possibilities open up before him.

ITA! And what a treat that we, as his fans, can watch that talent unfold!

Welcome Nelle!

..and there is nothing wrong with that.
Not a thing!

I don't see any sudden lane changes but Lord, it must be amazing to have a tremendous talent like his. I can only imagine what it feels like to see the possibilities open up before him.
Can you imagine? Having that gift. Knowing you have it. Feeling a shitload of people looking at you waiting for you to unleash it... finding the sweet spot, and letting it rip.

When he feels he has it right, can you imagine the incredible feeling of delivering the ultimate successful moment.

That's HOT!

Edited by YSRN

Can you imagine? Having that gift. Knowing you have it. Feeling a shitload of people looking at you waiting for you to unleash it... finding the sweet spot, and letting it rip.

When he feels he has it right, can you imagine the incredible feeling of delivering the ultimate successful moment.

That's HOT!

I'm sorry...was there a fan fiction free for all question that I missed?

Question 4:

4) The next album -- what? When? Where? How? Why?

What? I bet there will be singing on it!

When? When its ready! (tm Clay Aiken)

Where? In a store near you - and online of course!

How? Well, he'll go into a studio, sing and voila!

Why? Because he needs to pay for that 9000 square foot house and feed the pups!

That's HOT!

Question 4:

What? I bet there will be singing on it!

When? When its ready! (tm Clay Aiken)

Where? In a store near you - and online of course!

How? Well, he'll go into a studio, sing and voila!

Why? Because he needs to pay for that 9000 square foot house and feed the pups!

OMG, I love all you guys!

:cryingwlaughter:

My opinions: I don't think this album is coming all that soon -- maybe by this time next year. Will it catch a buzz, after almost 2 years? Yeah, I think that's about a normal time for album releases any more, and I think it could happen [/cock-eyed optomist].

As far as what's on it though -- you know, I have no clue, and don't even feel like speculating. This is one of those things known as "I love the surprise." That's why I can go unspoilered before the album releases.

I'm just along for the ride.

Probably next year sometime.... I have no clue what will be on it but I expect it to be similar to MoaM but with production in line with ATDW and AIW and MCWL. I do think he will continue to have more of a hand in his projects. I hope Lover all alone is a bonus track and I would still kill for a studio version of Tears Run Dry. Other than that..I just want to see what Clay has to show me.

Next album - what? Some sort of pop music. When? End of '08. Where? RCA - hell, he's still one of their more successful artists. How? Probably about average promotion again. Why? Because I WANT it!

That's HOT!

:cryingwlaughter:

I think he will continue to work with orchestras...and try more of the ethereal and celtic sounds. I hope anyway

I actually think we will get something like ATDW only with original songs and I be he will have more writing credits.

I bet LAA will be part of the third album too...

I hope there will be other Foster/Aiken collaboration. David writes beautiful sweeping melodic lines that is so perfect for clay;s voice.

hope he works a lot with eman.

I don;t think we will really get rocking clay but we will have different tempos...

lots of uplifting and inspirational theme...

maybe one CCM song???

I would hope it comes 1st half of 2008...won;t be suprsied f it comes out late 2008

I bet he will try for more radio

HOPE...we get more decent videos. I really want to see clay in a video using a bit of acting...

Question 4:

Gawd, who knows.

I wish there were a chance in hell we'd get another album by early 2008 in time for a Spring Tour. I fear it will more likely be later in 2008, possibly for a summer tour, but also maybe not till in time for a 09 tour. Clay seems to like to take his time on things since that mad rush of 03/04/partial05 ended.

The only news from Clay so far is that he's working on it, and was meeting with producers with a desire to have one producer. I think that bodes well, if he choses wisely, but I have no idea. I suspect the next album might be more of Clay being creative, possibly having EP or co-EP credit for himself, and having songs for his voice that are not mostly covers. Would not be surprised if he has Jaymes as EP again.

heh....really sticking my neck out there, huh?

I live to edit - oh yea, def still with RCA. I see no indications otherwise.

Edited by Nelle

Oh yeah, forgot the "where" question. Will he continue with RCA? While I have no facts on this whatsoever, I think his contract is still probably with RCA. I can see David Foster's label collaborating with them though. I do think that if he DOES leave RCA, he'll go with another company that will still try to fit him into a box, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's the crooner/song stylist box too. Also, I think companies will be falling all ove themselves to sign him if RCA ever does let him go.

This is one of those topics where I get kinda mean -- because I think heads would explode if he does resign with RCA, and for some reason, I get hungry for popcorn when that happens.

Clay seems to like to take his time on things since that mad rush of 03/04/partial05 ended.

You know, that's a fantastic point. I would venture that while he's proud of MOAM, it felt like a major rush job to him. I'm sure he doesn't want that kind of feeling ever again.