Clay Chat for summer 2007!

ldyjocelyn

I do think Clay has a mixed group of fans but his fans are older. I think he should cater to over 25 myself and leave the teenyboppers alone. Older folks have lots of money to spend and I bet they (we) are more loyal. I'm very happy that Clay embraces all of his fans.

Me, me! I'm his market demographic!

Plus anyone else who loves to hear Clay sing.

The tour stalkers repeat attendees tend towards women of a certain age, but I think that's cuz Clay's so cute and we have good credit. I don't believe that's the only demo that enjoys Clay's voice or buys his albums.

His demographic is those who dare to brave the music elitists who try to tell us it's not cool to be a fan of an amazing singer because he got his start on ai, is geeky, goofy, and doesn't pander to them.

Final question for the night:

6) What is Clay's market demographic at the moment? What do you think should be Clay's market demographic? How can any of these demographics be expanded?

I don't know. I think Clay should just do what he does and let it fall where it may. He's not the type to appeal to an urban market... he's not CCM... he's not Mr. Angsty Artist (thank God). He's just light pop. Meh. Too much emphasis is placed on categorizing him/us IMO.

Pass.

Hee.

His demographic is those who dare to brave the music elitists who try to tell us it's not cool to be a fan of an amazing singer because he got his start on ai, is geeky, goofy, and doesn't pander to them.

This is the most insightful sentence I've seen in a LONG time. Thank you.

And his stuff turns up in interesting places like on SYTYCD the other night...I have no idea what's their demo - but I know I heard "Put Your Record On" for the first time on DwTS and immediately downloaded it. Course, I'm one of those old farts too...

A lot (but by no means all) of his fans are women 40 and over, a lot (but not all) of those who attend his concerts are definitely women 40 or over. He could expand his fan base by attracting more men. I think the bawdy humor and the symphony shows do this. I don't see any point in targeting teens specifically. I think he has quite a few fans who are really young children. It'll be interesting to see what happens as they grow older.

One thing I love about Clay is that I don't think Clay will ever try to attract a certain demographic. I think Clay will sing what he wants and let the chips fall where they may.

And this is where I think he needs creative marketing. There must be a way to successfully market him to those who like whatever kind of music he puts out. Could it really be that hard?

I don't think that you can judge the demographic by who goes to television shows - when I worked - I had to be at work, I could not just fly accross the country for an appearance - vacation schedules were negotiated and I was particularly annoying to my boss because I came in with a merger and had more vacation than he did, 6 weeks. But then I like to summer at he beach - so not much flying around then - now I have no job (relatively no money) and am flying twice to this concert, not to mention driving for hours and paying dog sitters.

WHen I was younger yet - thyere was school and MONEY big time. When I talk to people on IDF they are always talking about how they can't go to concerts becuase their parents won't pay or drive them. That is true with this concert and someone who lives near Houston.

As to the tickets up font - Kids don't have credit cards, so unless they have an enabler, you won't see them up front.

I don't think you can judge Clay fans by who you see following him or on TV or at concerts even to some degree.

Final question for the night:

6) What is Clay's market demographic at the moment? What do you think should be Clay's market demographic? How can any of these demographics be expanded?

I don't know. I think Clay should just do what he does and let it fall where it may. He's not the type to appeal to an urban market... he's not CCM... he's not Mr. Angsty Artist (thank God). He's just light pop. Meh. Too much emphasis is placed on categorizing him/us IMO.

Pass.

Hee.

yeah I do agree with you...that is why I don't know if there is a should for this question.

I also think this is basically what Clay has to do. He is just too unique that to start tageting a certain demo almost seem like he has to start trying to please them and really I don't want him to.

So yeah...he should just please himself and people will follow.

I know some peole in the fandom wants him to dress a certain way...appear in certain shows...avoid doing certain things so that he will be desirable by the cool faction...

I hope he does not do that...as they say

Let Clay be clay...

What about men, play? What's keeping them from concerts? At the Gala in Raleigh (which wasn't a concert, I know), there were like six guys and 300 women.

Edited by jmh123

That's true play -- but I guess I see the "die-hards" as the ones being up in front. The ones that stay connected via the internet. The ones that chat with their friends (such as we are now, heh). And that die-hard group is definitely over 40 and female.

The question really becomes -- who is a casual fan? Does Clay have casual fans of the male persuasion? The younger persuasion? I believe he does...but they are not traveling all over the country for him. And I think most of the casual fans give two twits about marketing. They just see the CD on the shelf, or (ideally) hear a song on the radio (hot AC, IMO), and buy a copy. Simple. Painless.

Clay may win over youngsters and men with his personality, with a particular song, by something completely unexpected. It might be some sort of luck sad to say. I think it would be hard to sit around a table and come up with something for those tough nut demographics. I agree Claygasm that cool is important to teens and even some who like CLay won't admit it to their friends. But I'm over 40 and fit the profile so unless I'm going to be embarassed for myself I just refuse to let the fact that people thumb their nose at us get me down.

I would love for more PYTs to be sitting front and center for Clay.... long as I don't have to give up my seat. hee.

I got kicked off my own board!! geesh

I think he has quite a few fans who are really young children. It'll be interesting to see what happens as they grow older.

I agree with this. I'm working on a 4 year old right now. heee

One thing I love about Clay is that I don't think Clay will ever try to attract a certain demographic. I think Clay will sing what he wants and let the chips fall where they may.

And this is where I think he needs creative marketing. There must be a way to successfully market him to those who like whatever kind of music he puts out. Could it really be that hard?

thats why I say he needs to use primetime shows. I know I found a lot of great music from the WB shows like Dawson's creek , smallville.now GA and other shows are making use of great music as integral part of their show.

I think LNM and LAA would be great on some primetime show.

My niece became a fan at 8 or 9, and she's still a fan. She'll beat up anyone at school who disses Clay. LOL.

ETA: or he could expand his demographic by getting his own TV show!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by jmh123

Wasn't me couchie, I'd never kick you off your own board....

jmh -- I think the beauty of this upcoming tour is that he'll get a LOT more men in attendance. Why? Two things: 1) the romance factor. Wooing a pretty lady by taking her to a show with some good romantic music (and Invisible thrown in for good measure *g*) will help later that night, if you know what I mean, and I think you do. 2) Many families will attend the outdoor shows -- Mom, Dad and the kids. It's a win-win situation, IMO -- he'll gain a houseful of fans, not just an individual.

thats why I say he needs to use primetime shows. I know I found a lot of great music from the WB shows like Dawson's creek , smallville.now GA and other shows are making use of great music as integral part of their show.

I agree. I would love his music to be featured on some popular primetime show - or on a movie soundtrack. Its a great way to reach an audience you might not otherwise reach. I would love to see one or both of these things happen.

jmh -- I think the beauty of this upcoming tour is that he'll get a LOT more men in attendance. Why? Two things: 1) the romance factor. Wooing a pretty lady by taking her to a show with some good romantic music (and Invisible thrown in for good measure *g*) will help later that night, if you know what I mean, and I think you do. 2) Many families will attend the outdoor shows -- Mom, Dad and the kids. It's a win-win situation, IMO -- he'll gain a houseful of fans, not just an individual.

Totally agree ldyjocelyn. And they'll all laugh their heads off too.

Yep, just take what he has to where they are. Clay is not going to change. The boy likes Andy Williams. That isn't something made up. And he doesn't have to change at all if they simply let the voice do the talking. It will win over people of all ages. Heck it already did that on AI. I would love to hear his voice on Greys Anatomy or used on those shows on the networks I don't watch. heee Where all the young folks hang out. He has songs that will fit those shows. Great idea Ansa.

I think it will really be up to the music he produces.

For example...I think LAA would really hit home to a lot of people in their 20 to30's. If they market this song to a TV show or to a movie it will open up that market.

I think the music from the next CD will be a determining factor. But if it follows the BFM and TRD, LNM style...then I see his market opening up with the 25 to 35 crowd.

My niece became a fan at 8 or 9, and she's still a fan. She'll beat up anyone at school who disses Clay. LOL.

ETA: or he could expand his demographic by getting his own TV show!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

we need to take your neice and sprinkle her spunk like fairy dust over the rest of hte folks in her age group. LOL

And everything I said in this topic is in general terms. Of course he has younger fans, and men who are fans already.

I think this is the best idea of all!!!

a variety/talk show

OK, at this point...the chat is officially over. HOWEVER....

....the thread will stay open for the next 24 hours, and ya'll can keep chatting if you want. Me? For now, I'm going to bed, but I'm going to go through this thread tomorrow and probably follow up on some stuff that I didn't get a chance to earlier this evening.

This was great...looking forward to tomorrow!