Clay Chat for summer 2007!

ldyjocelyn

I've even thought a funny commercial that played every 10 minutes would do the trick too...with his voice in the background. Can't forget that. Like an ipod ad or something like that...

Well he did get a lot of Korean fans that way....

My niece became a fan at 8 or 9, and she's still a fan. She'll beat up anyone at school who disses Clay. LOL.

ETA: or he could expand his demographic by getting his own TV show!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think this is the best idea of all!!!

a variety/talk show

Maybe one day - but not yet. Maybe in 10 years or so. I just really don't want him to go that route yet.

Of course, he doesn't listen to me. All y ou have to do is look at his latest hair do t o know that!

OK, at this point...the chat is officially over. HOWEVER....

....the thread will stay open for the next 24 hours, and ya'll can keep chatting if you want. Me? For now, I'm going to bed, but I'm going to go through this thread tomorrow and probably follow up on some stuff that I didn't get a chance to earlier this evening.

This was great...looking forward to tomorrow!

Thanks LdyJ..this was fun... my sister has been waiting to use the computer...but I'll also check back in tomorrow. I really liked the format even when I felt like I was chasing a bus. heee.

I can see Clay doing a variety show... but please... not for 10 years!

A Carol Burnett type comedy/musical thing. He'd be brilliant, and whoever his Tim Conway, Harvey Whateverhisnamewas partners will be hilarious too.

HA... I just imagined Clay doing a Reality Show at his house like David Foster did. BWAH! Hilarious. And very popular too! :cryingwlaughter:

BWAH... on preview, I think Claygasm and I share a brain! Hee.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I gotta say, this was very fun. I love that everyone is around all at the same time. Us Westies get left on our own a lot -- hell, even shows that tape HERE are seen by the east coast first.

It's good to have everyone togetha!

*group hug*

Except ldyjocelyn because she is a tramp!

:imgtongue:

*off to dinner*

:F_05BL17blowkiss:

I can see Clay doing a variety show... but please... not for 10 years!

A Carol Burnett type comedy/musical thing. He'd be brilliant, and whoever his Tim Conway, Harvey Whateverhisnamewas partners will be hilarious too.

HA... I just imagined Clay doing a Reality Show at his house like David Foster did. BWAH! Hilarious. And very popular too! :cryingwlaughter:

BWAH... on preview, I think Claygasm and I share a brain! Hee.

And I am honored to share a brain with someone as wise and smutty and fun as you! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

This was a lot of fun! Thanks ldyj for being such a congenial host. I'm looking forward to discussing hair tomorrow! Hee!

Now I think I will watch this old episode of Fresh Prince of Bel Air with guest star Tyra Banks!

I wanted to add something to the ATDW promo question that I wrote up yesterday to maybe post on another board. I had no idea so many of us had similar ideas about this until tonight.

I think Clive actually wanted the covers album to come out right after AI to take advantage of the buzz from the surprise appearance. I think they knew about it for months. I don't think he cared about the production and change-ups and everything Clay put so much work into because he cared more about the timing. By September it was too late.

I also think that once the date was decided, every media outlet they contacted for pre-album promo insisted that the tabloid crap be addressed. Cause the way the media's and public's minds work these days; for too many of them, all that stuff was of Major Global Importance. There may even have been rumblings from some powerful media outlet that wanted to go deeply into the tabloid crap, and put anything Clay said or did into the context of an in-depth exploration of said crap. I think Clay told them that he wouldn't give any of that mess five seconds of his time, and he was not going to participate in any kind of sensationalistic exploitation of his life and career regardless of the ultimate "message". So I think a compromise was reached. Get the mess out of the way in the least sensational way possible, contact a few "friends" like Diane, LKL, and People, who will get a response out there with a minimum of sensationalism, add anxiety drugs as a distraction, make the best of it, and move on. Perhaps in those circumstances, low key buzz was preferable to some kind of media frenzy. Perhaps it was actually a considered effort to keep the buzz around a guy whose change in hairdo can become national news relatively low key and positive, if the alternative is major, loud, nasty buzz. Cause frankly, if my experience at a certain on-line compendium of misinformation is any indicator, the only buzz that would've been allowed to buzz around Clay in 2006 was buzz about crap.

I also agree with y'all who said ATDW is part of a plan, not a career path, and that the next album will be mostly originals.

I think it's a society issue really. We put people into categories based on stereotypes and you better stay in your darn box. But since nobody walks around insisting people are heterosexual I can only come to the conclusion that people (way general but you know what I'm saying) aren't as tolerant or progressive or open minded as they like to pretend.

It's extremely bothersome that much of the inuendo is so childish.

I think Clay is fascinating person and is also a mystery. All aspects of his person seem to be scrutinized.

Basically...because he defies stereotypes.

He seems to have effeminate qualities yet not quite so...he is fascinating ...and the combination of his feminine and masculine side is one of the things that makes him unique. People like to be able to label him and its really is hard to do that.

Heh, I am the wrong person to ask, I am a privacy freak. I never ask people about their person sexual life. Others - well, there are some people that are interested to fuel their own fantasies.

Now that does not mean I never discuss it, but I do feel that people should be able to define themselves and I should believe it unless I am personally affected.

eta - why is it you only catch the finger errors when you are quoted?

Edited by playbiller

To me -- this is as much a "society problem" as it is a "Clay problem." IMO, people are fascinated by the sex lives of all sorts of people...straight, gay, whatever. And I'll be honest here in that I cannot claim innocence in this regard. For some reason it is an interesting topic to me, even though I know full well it's none of my damn business. I honestly think, to pull history into this, that it is part of America's Puritanical roots.

Hee, in preview I see couchie and I think alike.

As far as Clay goes -- for some reason people cannot understand a man who seems to be as in touch with his feminine side as much as his masculine side. A lot of men think that weird -- and so the assumptions come in to play. But I think a lot of women LOVE that trait.

Basically...because he defies stereotypes.

He seems to have effeminate qualities yet not quite so...he is fascinating ...and the combination of his feminine and masculine side is one of the things that makes him unique. People like to be able to label him and its really is hard to do that.

hee well you said it in three lines. I totally agree.

Greetings everyone!

Question 1:

1) Why do you think people (both fans and non-fans) find Clay's sexuality such a fascinating topic?

This was so much fun last night I had to be here tonight!

Not that I had anything else to do, my life being as exciting as it is and all... <_<

Anyhoo.....

I think the reason people find Clay's sexuality such a fascinating topic is that deep down inside, most people are gossip hounds. We love it when we find out someone is not as they appear or as they say they are. I also think fans find it fascinating because many are terribly afraid Clay might actually be gay. I personally know several who, during the crap, were terrified it might be true. They were terrified not because they didn't like gay people (one has a brother who is gay, another has a best friend who is gay) but because if he were gay, how could they justify their lusting after him? I think they felt as if Clay were gay it somehow made a fool out of them. So, they became consumed by his sexuality - both by signs that might point to the idea he might be gay and by signs that he might not be.

Non-fans just like to drag people down and the media like sensationalism so taking the clean cut, goody t wo shoes image of Clay's and shattering it is reason enough for them to become fascinated by his sexuality. Imagine - this man who wore a WWJD bracelet and loves his mama and yet he's gay? That's some good, juicy stuff!

Personally, I am not fascinated with his sexuality. I am just fascinated by how sexy he is! I mean, he is not my type. IN many ways he is my anti-type! Yet I find him irresitably sexy! Now that I find fascinating! :DoClay:

It's extremely bothersome that much of the inuendo is so childish.

Exactly! IMO, human sexuality in general results in so many tittering laughs in American society. Why is that? Europeans, from what I've read, don't have that attitude.

I have to say that I totally admire Clay's stance on all this -- none of your business, next question please. Oh, and don't forget that "people will believe what they want to believe."

Why are the fans so interested? Partially, as play says, it fuels fantasies. It also fuels political agendas too.

I think a lot of what people think of as gay is really southern - city southern, as opposed to Rough guy southern - John Edwards has some "pundits (i.e. deliberately slandering people on the payroll, if you know what I mean, Karl) state that he is gay - just because he has a lilt to his voice and he wears suits and cleans up nice, and doesn't have a reputation for bar fights.

Heh, I am the wrong person to ask, I am a privacy freak. I never ask people about their person sexual life. Others - well, there are some people that are interested to fuel their own fantasies.

Now that does not mean I never discuss it, but I do feel tgaht people should be able to define themselves and I should believe it unless I am personally affected.

I agree with both these points Play. Clay is a rich young pop star - I could fantasize about him - if I were to do such a thing - even if he were dating a martian. I don't have a shot any way it goes. heee. And I could listen to him sing. My other favorite singer was Luther Vandross and he was pretty much dogged by the question until his death. I could say I heard all the rumors and people claim it to be true but as far as I know he never publicly said I am gay so why in hell should it be of concern to me. I do think Clay will live with the fascination for ever, whether he marries, has a family - it doesn't matter.

yes defintely..people should define themselves. I just think that some people feel that Clay is afraid to define himself because he is a pop star or that he represent the Christian right.I do think for some in the media... and even the more militant members of the gay community...they want to push this Christian boy out of the closet.

I think the reason people find Clay's sexuality such a fascinating topic is that deep down inside, most people are gossip hounds.

Non-fans just like to drag people down and the media like sensationalism so taking the clean cut, goody t wo shoes image of Clay's and shattering it

Wow, Great post CG... I especially agree with the second post. People don't want to believe he is just a good guy trying to live his life..there has to be SOMETHING there to bring him down...to shout hypocrisy is one way.

And yes LdyJ..our puritan roots..we are not as sophisticated as we like to think we are.

I've had "crushes" on singers and movie stars I knew were gay. It's not like I'm going to actually have sex with them, so why does it matter?

I think one reason people are fascinated is because androgyny is attractive to people, whether they're conscious of it or not. When it comes in a pleasing package, it's all the more attractive.

They were terrified not because they didn't like gay people (one has a brother who is gay, another has a best friend who is gay) but because if he were gay, how could they justify their lusting after him? I think they felt as if Clay were gay it somehow made a fool out of them. So, they became consumed by his sexuality - both by signs that might point to the idea he might be gay and by signs that he might not be.

This attitude floors me. It's as if I can't be attracted to a guy who might possibly be gay -- as if his attractiveness is gone. Nope -- cute guys can be straight, gay, bi, whatever. And couchie is right -- like I'll EVER have a chance with Clay....so what does it matter that I just think he's damn adorable?

Non-fans just like to drag people down and the media like sensationalism so taking the clean cut, goody t wo shoes image of Clay's and shattering it is reason enough for them to become fascinated by his sexuality. Imagine - this man who wore a WWJD bracelet and loves his mama and yet he's gay? That's some good, juicy stuff!

Again, another annoying thing to me -- I know there are many churches who totally condemn homosexuality. And yet, there are gay Christians everywhere.

I realize I'm talking as if Clay is gay. He's said he's not....and I believe him.

I think a lot of what people think of as gay is really southern - city southern, as opposed to Rough guy southern - John Edwards has some "pundits (i.e. deliberately slandering people on the payroll, if you know what I mean, Karl) state that he is gay - just because he has a lilt to his voice and he wears suits and cleans up nice, and doesn't have a reputation for bar fights.

Sheesh. Stereotypes are so damn hard to break.