So You Think You Can Dance... 07,08, 2009

Couch Tomato

Sara and Jesus did the Paso Doble to "We Will Rock You." It was a surprising choice of music, but personally, I loved their performance. It may not have been technically perfect, but they--especially Jesus--seemed to capture the spirit of the dance.

I feel bad for Jimmy, because he clearly is the more talented dancer. However, at the same time, I can't help but feel that he was never going to get far in the competition because he's just not that memorable compared to the others. There's a spark missing. Pasha's solo wasn't great, but he does have something that sets him apart, which is why I believe the judges spared him quickly. Cedric does seem more limited, but his solos are astonishing. It was a tough choice between Jimmy and Cedric, but ultimately, I think they chose the more telegenic performer, the one they thought people were more likely to tune in to see. However, if he does land in the Bottom Three again, I think it will only confirm that he doesn't have enough appeal to be kept around.

There are hundreds, even thousands, of highly skilled dancers around. Many are very impressive in certain settings, but in an environment with other talented performers, not everyone stands out. Jimmy is one of those dancers who is competent, but just not unique or interesting enough. Cedric isn't half the dancer, but on his own, in his own style, he does shine.

Faina did have some spark, and honestly, if she had been paired with another dancer, I think she would have gone further. However, I have to agree that her solo was a bit bland. It was sad to see her go, but then, I think it will be sad to see many of these go. They're all pretty good.

WAAAAHHHH not Jesus!!!

although I like Cedric...I now feel that their little experiment in keeping him another is pushing other really great dancers out before their time. I do agree that Jesus was out danced tonight...but he shouldn;t be in the bottom three. I think the problem is...Jesus and Sarah went first and the voters kidna forgot about them.

I am sorry to lose Jessy too. I think Lauren had the worse dance of the night...BUT I think they were afraid to keep jessy around because of her health. Heart anomaly...not something to play around with. I do think Jesse has some major crush on Pasha....their chacha was super hot. I don't think they would be in bottom 3 if they danced that. It was just phenomenal.

I really liked Jesus too, he has a lot of personality. I actually thought Neil was in trouble tonight, but I like him too, I don't remember liking so many of the contestants last year.

Danny almost seemed like he was in shock that he was in the bottom 3.

This may be just my opinion, but I think the judges writing off Cedric last night, and being so obvious about it just firerd up some people to vote for him, and Ansa, I agree that them deciding to hold onto him one more week caused a better dancer a spot. I can't help but like him and I thought he handled the judges criticism graciously.That too, may have brought some votes his way.

Edited by atinal

:blink: Can't believe Anya is still there. I thought her solo dance was boring and unremarkable. I though Jesse's was amazing and the chacha she did with Pacha (Pasha?) was electric! Can NOT believe the judges sent her home instead of Anya.

I only started watching this last week so I don't know backstories---Jesus, Cedric, etc.---

Does anybody else think that Neil looks like a blonde Joaquin Phoenix?

My hubby and Alex and I were watching this together and the dancers were all so incredible. Alex said, "This is SOOOO much better than American Idol!"

She's right. The talent is amazing. Interesting contrast, huh?

WORD Muski...the talent and the dedication of these kids to their craft is just incredible. It really reminds me of the musical Chorus Line and that song What I did for love. To be a great dancer one must give up so much of time and energy and the physical toll on the body is great. So i really don;t think a dancer ever does it for money...its all for the love of the craft. I can feel that from the judges, the choreographer and each contestant.

background story...Cedric is an incredible hip hop dancer. during the Vegas auditions he showed that he was weak in partnering but his solo dances keeps saving him. When it came to choosing the top 20 they were torned on Cedric, Nigel didn't want him in cos he was afraid he will put his partner at a disadvantage...but he was overruled by the other judges.

Cedric was in the bottom first two weeks...first week it was because faina his partner was pretty weak on Hip Hop. the second week he was weak on foxtrot. apparently there was a split on the judges and Nigel decided to give Cedric a chance but told him if he was in the bottom again he was out. thus this week all the drama and scolding because Nigel got a lot of criticism on line for his decision. But as we know...when a contestant gets a bashing ...the sympathy vote kicks in...and Cedric is saved from the bottom and instead we see three couples who were much stronger in the bottom.

Jesus...he really was always very consistent. He also had a very nice personality so he is very popular...unfortunately...not enough to stay off the bottom 3. I do think he had the weakest solo so if not Cedric...he was the right one to go.

Ansa, I think Benji could have held his own with this group. I think as a whole this group of dancers is better than last years. I'm not sure would say any single dancer is better than Benji, at least based on what I've seen so far. I thought his choreography for the West Coast Swing was really good tonight.

I too, believe Cedric will go this week. I think he worked hard and improved a lot, but just does not have the flexibility a lot of the other men have.

I'm not sure which of the girls will go. All of the girls were praised quite a bit by the judges.

Cedric is such a sweetie. I was proud of him this week. I think he would bring a TON of people to the tour that wouldn't ordinarily go. Where do you have to finish to go on tour?

Couchie, I think it is like AI, and the top 10 go on the tour, but I'm not really sure about that. I agree with you about Cedric he seems like a really sweet kid, I told my daughter in law it looked like he worked his butt off for this weeks show.

And Ansa, back so something you said, I think it may have been in the CH thread, I think I agree with you and the guest judge about Danny. I think he is a beautiful dancer, but I think he thinks he is a cut above the other dancers. Arrogance might be too strong a word, it may have been his laughter on the last show when he found out he was in the bottom three. He needs to add some personality or something.

OK now that I have seen more dancers..absolutely loved the Pasha/Sara dance..benjie did a great job with the choreography and they pulled if off. Benj is such a goofball... and sometimes I forget but he is an amazing dancer and really hooked me on this show last year. Just magical. I miss jesus. I think he would have done a great job on this dance..but I also liked Pasha for the fist time.

Sabra and Dominc..continue to love them Sabra has the most beautiful smile.

I didn't catch what dance Hok and his partner were doing so yeah so was surprised to find out after that it was supposed to be a waltz. It looked great though.

Wow..just have to pop back to say Neil and whoever was terrific...first time I've even paid attention to them!

Anya and Danny are good..I can tell Danny is just the best dancer in the bunch but something is just missing with him..don't know what it is.

I think it's just that he's highly trained in a different kind of dance. Giving everything that's being said about him, I'm not sure why he is on the show. He's amazingly talented, but his training is not suited to most of the kinds of dances they're doing. I know others are making big leaps in growth too, but not all dance skills translate into the popular kinds of dance on this show. You have to get down with it. He does appear to stay aloof, but I'll bet in his element he does not, or the aloofness is an asset. Now, since he's on the show by his own choice, I think they are right to be getting on his case. He, like others, must learn to dance outside his element, and must show how he can grow. In his case, the growth required is more personal. He's the opposite of Cedric, in a way, to me--Cedric conveys so much feeling and personality, but his technique in most dances needs a lot of work.

Some of the choreography on this show is really amazing. My favorite part. And I love the dancing, but the only individuals that spark for me are Hok and Cedric. Benji sparked like a firecracker last year, but I wasn't a major fan--he was a bit too much for me. I enjoy the dancing and the choreography, but don't identify much with most of the individuals, this season or last. But I love to watch the show.

I have a dilemma. When one couple dances, I love them and say to myself, they are the best.

The next couple dances and the same thing happens....fickle me!

There are many excellent dancers taking part this year. So, I have beenthinking that the winner will have to have other positives about them in order to take it all. Personality, being able to connect with the audience, etc. The "it" factor. Something that will draw people to them (like Clay,) and make them pick up that phone and vote for them. When I look at them as individuals, is there someone who definitely has the "it" factor me? I will have think about that. Wait, if I have to think about it, then there must not be any individual that stands out for me at this time.

Did they mention that there will be a change of partners soon? If so, that will be interesting.

Not too much of a surprise on tonight's eliminations. It sure is a fun show, I look forward to it every week.

me too...I was satisfied with the results...Shauna is good but so were Jamie and Anya.

All my favorites were safe last night so I was happy. Oh wait.except Hok but I knew Cedric would be the goner. It was his time although I liked him a lot. His solo dances were amazing and hopefully they will break tradition and allow him to tour. I'm gonna try to take my niece..she just loves live shows and dancing and singing. I asked her who was her favorite yesterday and she said ...I love them all.

Ok I never warmed up to Lacy but realize she is a great dancer so am actually happy with the final 4. Looking forward to the finale.

I also got 6 great tickets for my family. I can't even believe I'm going but its for my neice. She just loves dance and singing and I think she will love it. I wonder if they are over reaching playing in these big stadiums though. Last year they were in more intimate venues. Those sold out fast. It will be interesting to see how they do this year.

I guess my favorite going into the finale is Sabre. I'll root for her!!

Yeah this is a good season. I really like all the dancers. I think Neil has grown so much and Danny somehow learned to reach out to the audience. Sabra is just so cute and lacey is a great and sexy dancer...

who will win...the one with the more fans I guess...hee