So You Think You Can Dance... 07,08, 2009

Couch Tomato

I totally enjoyed the finale last night. I thought Nigel's dance with the kids was just wonderful. And Mary ..go girl. Shes' a brave woman.

I was rooting for Katee and I teared up when she came in 3rd and then won some money. She totally deseved that...although I wish they all could have gotten some sort of cash prize. Joshua was my second fave so am happy with that win. If you think about it, I think he only danced hip hop once while Twitch got to do his specialty at least 3 or 4 times. And to me the only really dance that was just not good was disco. And although he was best with Katee he was also fabulous with Courtney.

I have to say I loved the connection between him and katee on the dance floor and off. When Katee said he was her boo..I think that was my favorite non dancing moment the entire show.

And I think everybody danced even better now that the competition was over.

I think my fifth favorite was Gev..think he was totally underrated.

When did Benji go from cutie pie to annoying LOL. hee

Loved seeing Hok and Dominic and Jesus but damn can Sabra get a little respect. I hope she was just busy.

When did Benji go from cutie pie to annoying LOL. hee

About halfway through the season he was on the show??

Any one of them could've won and I'd be happy for the winner and a little sad for the losers. Courtney's speech was fantastic. I wish Twitch had time to say something and get a little recognition. I loved Joshua and Katee both all season. I had a soft spot for Courtney because she worked her ass off, and I think she "sold" all her dances. Katee was technical perfection but didn't show as much personality in her non-dancing bits. Twitch was great, had lots of good performances. Joshua grew so much and worked so hard. Katee was probably the best dancer; my favorite would be either Courtney or Joshua. Or Katee.

Great show last night, love the repeated dances and the new ones. The choreography this year has been just fantastic!!! Great season!

OMG I just watched Twitch and his partner (blonde girl, don't know her name) do an AMAZING routine by Mia Michaels!! It starts with a tilted bed, and then there are flower petals flying everywhere! They were incredible!

That BODY on Twitch is just the most amazing body I have ever seen!!

Katee and Joshia are still my favourite pair.

OK, I found out the results and that Joshua won and Twitch was runner up, and Katee was 3rd and the top girl. I read that she was surprised with a $50K prize. What happened, was this not normal? Katee deserves a great career in dancing after this; never seen such an effortless dancer before. To think she was almost cut in Vegas...

Well I have to concede the rejects from your SYTYCD are far, far superior than the best of the best in Oz!! But then... with only 21 million population, we do have a rather small talent pool by comparison!! (That said, please be impressed with our Olympic efforts, especially in the swimming!!)

One thing I am blown away by is the level of talent of the choreographers. Mia Michaels is super talented, but she's not the only one. Those routines... they are unbelievable, beyond belief of how they can come up with those ideas!!

It just gets better and better, claytonic. I'm kinda jealous that you're getting to watch it right now--I'd watch it again in a heartbeat. Wait till you see the Bollywood dance! And the final show with all the judges' favorites repeated really brings home how great these dances are.

It just gets better and better,
claytonic
. I'm kinda jealous that you're getting to watch it right now--I'd watch it again in a heartbeat.
Wait till you see the Bollywood dance!
And the final show with all the judges' favorites repeated really brings home how great these dances are.

Just saw Joshua and Katee do Bollywood, and they were just amazing! Interesting how you can see a bit of hip hop, Russian dance etc in Bollywood dancing.

Again, those choreographers are really sumthin'!!!!

Can't wait for the finale!

Just watched the episode where Will is voted off.

Will, along with Twitch and Joshua were easily the top 3 guys, such a shame that Will left!!!

Of course Katee is by far the top female.

We get the results show following the performance show, so it is like a 2.15 continuous hours of SYTYCD. Toni Basil was the guest judge - ha it is funny to see her. When she had that big hit (Mickey) and the video was on TV a great deal, people used to call me and tell me I looked like her! I didn't realize she was such an accomplished choreographer. And I can't get over the fact she is 64 years old!!

Well, I have just finished watching SYTYCD - the top 3.

I can't get over how GOOD they are, ALL of them. It just seemed so unfair that 2 had to leave even though I just love Katee and Joshua.

Oh and what about that little 6 year old boy doing his hip hop thang... just amazing!

Cat is also an exceptional host. Seacrest could learn a thing or two from her. Not that I think he isn't good at his job but Cat has a certain warmth about her and seems such a natural.

ha nice to see Pawler in the audience... I have been wondering when we'd see her on the show since her name is synonymous with dance, and particularly choreography.

ETA: by Top 3, I meant Top 3 couples, so that's Top 6.

yeah I really wish its still on. SYTYCD gets replayed here in MTV Canada.

I truly love this show...even that annoying Mary...she adds texture and flavor to the whole thing. I agree that Cat is one of the best host I have ever seen. I really wish some miracle would happen and she gets to host AI instead of Ryan. It is just so obvious that she totally cares about the contestants.

Yup this show really is a celebration of dance.

Ansa, At first I was quite taken-aback by Mary and her loudness, to the point that I started to feel sorry for Nigel when I didn't really like him, because he had to sit so close to her. However, the judges are all very different and that makes them interesting and I can understand why she is a fixture as a judge. As the saying goes, the biggest "sin" of all (in showbiz) is to be boring, i.e. the whole idea is for people to absolutely LOVE or HATE you, 'cos then they're talking about you and keeping your name alive. And I guess Clay fits nicely into that concept as well - he is anything but boring!!! :)

Claytonic, I'm really enjoying reliving the show with you. Can't wait for you to see the finale!!

I agree with you about Cat. She's brilliant. She treats the contestants wonderfully, she interacts with the judges in an interesting way, the audience loves her, she's excited about all the guests in a way that seems genuine. Mecrest should be taking notes! The best thing about the show is that there's so much good dancing, in comparison to AI, which has very little good singing.

And it was kind of surprising about Paula--those folks talking about getting their start from her, and really respecting her as a choreographer as well as a dancer. AI hasn't done much for her reputation has it?

I have just spent the last two hours watching the final of the Top 4, and WHAT a show that was! The duet performance of the two guys, Joshua and Twich, was unbelievable, just could not believe my eyes.

It was like watching the gymnastics at the Olympics, holding my breath that there are no errors and no one gets hurt or injured! Of course, I had no reason to be nervous for them since they have been unbelievable since the first show of the Top 20.

I loved the personal stories for each one, and although the finale is screened a week from today, I do know who won. After watching the story on Joshua, I was so thrilled to know (in advance) that he has won all that money.. to think he did not get the training he wanted because his family could not afford the fees! I always love it when someone who has had to struggle in life.... gets a break, especially when they so deserve it. I couldn't help wondering how different it would be if Joshua DID get the training. The mind boggles.

Anyway, can't wait until next Wednesday!

Right now, they are doing auditions for the Oz version of SYTYCD and I don't know how I will be able to watch it when I know there is no way they will come anywhere close to the standard of the US Season 4.

YAY two more 'sleeps' before the Grand Finale! Mind you, while one TV Channel advertises this Finale, a competing TV Channel has the winner (Joshua) dancing on the Ellen Show, so anyone who watched that Ellen show would know the winner even if they tried to avoid a spoiler!

OMG OMG I just finished watching the Finale.... just unbelievable entertainment! LOVED watching Mary and Nigel do their thang on the dance floor.

Even though I knew the results in advance, I was still sad that there couldn't be a 3-way-tie!! When the judges were picking their favourite performances, Katee was featured more than anyone else. I just loved her performances with Will, Twitch and Joshua - her prize should have been double what it was... I think she was the only one who NEVER received even the smallest criticism from the judges because her performances were flawless except for that one time with Will, which they got to do again, this time to perfection!

Without taking anything away from Courtney, I feel that if they had not done the elimination as one female/one male each week, Will would have been in the Top 4. He really was eliminated too early, and the 'favourite' performance nominated by Mia of Will and Katee's duet was a reminder of just how good he was.

Quite honestly, SYTYCD is so much more entertaining than Idol. I recorded it so that I could watch it again. I will be trying to keep track of the careers of Will, Joshua, Katee and Twitch.

I don't know how I will be able to watch the Oz version (now auditioning) after such a high standard in the US series.

<sigh> don't have anything else to look forward to on TV now... we have Australian Idol Top 11 coming up next but I am not really into it yet. Big Brother here was 'axed' earlier this year and a lot of people are saying they need to to give Idol the chop too. if it weren't for the internet, I wouldn't be able to look forward to the Spam recaps that are coming up.... yippee!

ETA: One thing about Katee, I loved all her choreographed duets BUT not her short solo dances. She danced well but I didn't like the arrangements of her solos.

YAY--you finally got to see it!!! Wasn't it amazing??? SYTYCD is so much better than Idol. I can see why Nigel wanted to do this show exclusively. Katie was fantastic, nearly flawless, but Josh had more personality. He also had a spark of genius, I think. He made more mistakes than she did, but every now and then there'd be a moment when you'd just think....WOW. Everyone did really well on the show you just saw, despite being so exhausted. Now I want to see it again.

Oh, and can't forget the choreography. Now and then there's a strange dance, but all and all, IMO, the choreography makes this show. It's first-rate and so interesting to watch.

I think one of the very important differences between the judges on AI and those on SYTYCD is the passion that the latter feel for dance. It is so obvious that they care about the whole world of dance, including the choreographers, dancers, teachers and fans. If Mary were doing her thing only for effect, it would be impossible to take, but she really seems to care about the performance and the performers.

I always hated the auditions on AI, but I can only agree with Nigel when he rips into people with very poor qualifications who are teaching dance. He also obviously cares deeply about dance and I think he sees SYTYCD as a vehicle to promote dance to a very large audience.

I think one of the very important differences between the judges on AI and those on SYTYCD is the passion that the latter feel for dance. It is so obvious that they care about the whole world of dance, including the choreographers, dancers, teachers and fans. If Mary were doing her thing only for effect, it would be impossible to take, but she really seems to care about the performance and the performers.

I always hated the auditions on AI, but I can only agree with Nigel when he rips into people with very poor qualifications who are teaching dance. He also obviously cares deeply about dance and I think he sees SYTYCD as a vehicle to promote dance to a very large audience.

Very true!!!

I got to catch one audition episode of SYTYCD Canada. There were some really good dancers on last night...I was pleasantly surprised. Also liked the judging and the focuse on interesting stories and good dancing instead of the bad dancers.

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=dMH0bHeiRNg

The Evolution of Dance Views: 111,413,514

That's the highest amount of views I've ever come across for a YT video.

This video is funny... but how I'd love to see Joshua and Katee from last year's SYTYCD do the full sequence in perfect unison.

I am loving this first audition show so far. When the very first girl was a sob-story I thought 'oh noooo', but dang, she was GOOD!!! Some fun, some OFMG's, not too many awful auditions yet.

I'm SO glad this is on through the summer!

The cha-cha couple were awesome.

Me too, couchie!

Man, it must be so tough when one half of a team makes it through. I love it when the kids are soooo damn excited though.

Mary is as annoying as ever though. She's still screaming. Thankfully no tamale train yet, lol.

Hmmm, a male couple - and Nigel point blank said they would alienate the audience. They really don't know how to deal with them. Nigel wants to see them 'dancing with a girl - you never know you might enjoy that too.' Oh boy! I'm really not sure why they put them on the air just to do that. Maybe the show isn't ready for that, but yeah - why put them on at all just to do that? Frankly, I'm disappointed in them.

Hee - well I'll let you love Mary. :hahaha: Apart from that rather ...ugly moment, a fun show! I would so love to have a fraction of the talent these kids have! The last two dancers - wow. Natalie, the girl who got cut when they put Katee through last year, is back!