#11 I love me some Clay Aiken! He (soft) rocks *g*

Ansamcw

Next thread title poll  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Vote for the next main thread title

• A big MWAH! and muchos gracias to a globe-trotting, lazy-ass, dog-loving, soft-rocking dude!
    • Clay is Clay. His instrument is undefinable
    • Indeed they are, my child. Clown feet." (Make me laugh, clown.'
    • *moan* *whimper* *thud*
    • An Evening With His Royal Highness of Fantasy Fodder. Coming to a venue near you soon.
    • Refresh, read, click the next tab; Refresh, read, click the next tab; lather, rinse, repeat. Insert random EEE's. Yeap, it's cellcert time again!
    • Aw, that man can blog me any ole time!
    • He's a unique treasure, no doubt. A pain in the ass sometimes, I'm sure. A blessing, plain and simple and one hawt man
    • Yes, I live under a rock....with Clay Aiken.

I brought up Tony Bennett justto indicate someone who is respected in the industry, but does not have many awards.

I am not saying that Clay is not going to get any awards, he may, he may not. I can't really see in the future. I can see him being one of the most all around talented people in the business though. He has a lot of different entertainment skills on which he can draw. A lot of the people in the business have 2 or 3 skills to draw on, but Clay has most of them, except maybe dancing. Good thing he did not try and be on the show "Fame" - well too bad for anyone appearing on that show.

Honestly, I never expect to see Clay on dancing with the stars, I never expect to see him in any competition, except maybe for awards, again.

Happy Friday all.

Ha! That's an ADMIN responsibility!

does a quick 'not her fault' dance

Dang. You'd think that with all the admins around this joint..... :whistling-1:

Dear FCA friends,

I am going to a Jazzercize class this evening. It's the first one I've been to in....well, a terribly long time. This neglect on my part is quite obvious---on my ass certainly, but my arms, legs and boobs are also telling me to DO SOMETHING! I just left a phone message on couchie's phone inviting her to join me and then go walking afterwards (This class is an "Express" one---only 30 mins.) I write this so she can't get out of it easily. Yes, I'm devious that way.

I cannot continue on this path I've been on for way too long---wrong food, too much wine too often, too much sedentary passing of time, too much negative thinking. Therefore, I hereby make this public pledge:

I, Muskifest, do hereby promise to make a major attitude adjustment toward daily stressors, a measurable increase in my physical activity level, a measurable decrease in the number of days I imbibe alcoholic beverages and a measurable improvement in the foods I choose to eat.

If I can have such strong, positive aspirations for Clay having a long, healthy life and career, I can certainly be more accountable for optimizing the chance that I enjoy the same experience!

(This announcement brought to you by a woman who is watching her mumblemumblehighernumberthanshewantstothingkaboutmumblemumble birthday approaching like a F5 tornado and is realizing that she's almost back into the size clothes she was wearing four years ago--BEFORE Weight Watchers, Jazzercize and Clay Aiken music. :scream: )

Hee Jenna I think I'm a bigger Avril fan than my girls. She really has a cool narrative this time around. She got married and is now in a really good place in her life and she reflected that in her songs. I like to compare Avril with Kelly because I see a lot of parallels in their story. I definitely think that Kelly can sing circles around her...but Avril is a much better song writer. she also went to write her own songs for her second album and it ended up much darker, didn't want to accept help from professional writers. I think thats why she gave Kelly Breakaway cos it didn't quite fit the much more temperamental rocker chick she was trying to be. the critics didn't quite take her seriously and the CD underperformed in sales. So now she is back to being the fun girl she was in the beginning. Her new single is a very sappy but touching love song...I really like it but I keep thinking that I wish it was Kelly singing.

wow bluebunny another concert virgin!!! I'm glad you will be able to see him live this time around. I hope you and keepingfaith will come share you experiences and impressions with us.

Hey on preview I see I am being blamed for not posting a new thread announcement...

ok I'm sowwy...no wonder YSRN was being quiet...

very handy tip...on the upper right corner of the board you will find a very handy link...view new posts....clicki it...get to know it...its your friend!!! Its really a cool way of figuring out where the heck everybody is.... :F_05BL17blowkiss: :F_05BL17blowkiss:

Great attitude Muski...yup I need to do something too. I started walking with my friend this week...its been great. I was in the doctor today and we concluded that my feeling tired and general crappy feelign is probably due to the 15 lbs I gained since I went to the doctor last. SO...I shall join you in doing something positive for myself.

and hee you have a coming bday too...hee guess who else has an upcoming bday.

I see Clay as having a Clay Aiken career ... not a Tony Bennett, Linda Ronstandt, Barry Manilow, or anybody else career. He's unique. There's never been anyone like him before, and there won't be another one coming along. And as far as name identification goes, believe me there are people, music-lovers, who don't have a clue who Josh Groban or Michael Buble or Andrea Bocelli are.

I think Clay's career is being carefully nurtured and plotted. And I believe everything is going according to plan. Will everybody everywhere love him? No, of course not. But, so what? -- There were plenty of people who never liked Elvis Presley and wouldn't have walked across the street to see him for free ... me, for instance -- but I didn't stand in his way!

ITA!!!

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!

Meet and greet buttons are up on the OFC tour page. Now I don;t think its quite ready cos the enter this meet and greet buttons are not up yet. BUT I am so psyched that he will be having meet and greets again...

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

and I can actually join for 4 concerts.

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

eta: oh its working just click the link on the bottom. I am now eligible for the embarcadero concert. time to join the others.

so excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hee Jenna I think I'm a bigger Avril fan than my girls. She really has a cool narrative this time around. She got married and is now in a really good place in her life and she reflected that in her songs. I like to compare Avril with Kelly because I see a lot of parallels in their story. I definitely think that Kelly can sing circles around her...but Avril is a much better song writer.

Thanks for the info. I have to concur with your assessment of the two. Who knows? Maybe Kelly will be where Avril is a few years from now.

I feel like I've heard this story a million times: Artist has a huge multiplatinum album. Artist follows it with an album that is more "them" but less commercial. Sometimes the artist bounces back, many times they don't.

And yay! for the meet and greet buttons!

Oh yeah, baby!!!!!

:lilredani:

As soon as I clicked to enter for Syracuse, I got an email notice immediately. Entered for Canandaigua - got nada. Oh well! I'm sure it'll show up sooner or later.

WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!

Edited by cindilu2

When I first heard Clay, and followed him through all of AI2, I saw a superstar!!! Yes I did. I jumped on the bandwagon of support, so I could be a part of it. I admit that I am one tired puppy and a little disappointed his super stardom isn't happening as fast as I thought it would. Nor is it happening in a conventional way like other artists. I truly believe that Clay really does want super stardom. Not only in music but TV. I firmly believe he wants it all and he wants it bad. However I just don't think he is willing to do what it takes, perhaps, to make super stardom come the way his fans want it. So I have resigned myself to the slow and steady wins the race mantra. I think he is being groomed for a long term career. I also think Clay/his label/team, have finally decided where they want him to go and how they're going to get him there. I believe he is in the driver seat more than his fans think. I think he will take longer to reach the super star status, but he will get there. He has limited his possibilities, by the choices he has made, IMO. He has a different comfort level than most artists on the scene today. I think that is what is taking him longer and why he will have to work that much harder. I'll wait for him. Cause I lurve him to pieces. He pleases me and my senses.

keepingfaith, I like your style.............

Muski , good luck...........I've been dieting for at least 4 weeks, and have only lost the dreaded 10 pounds of water weight. I had to go off my diet last night due to an early Father's day dinner from the kids. I have to go off tonight, and again tomorrow, because hubby is in a tournament that requires my presence for dinner. I hope they offer a salad. I don't want to put 3 pounds back on. I was dieting/starving and getting lectures for it from YSRN. Hee However, I went off of it and put it all back on. Now I have to start over. I'll be glad when this concert is over so I can eat what I want again. Hee It would go faster if I would exercise like you and couchie do. But then that is work. LOL So kudos for you girl.

WTF? What's that Aug. 16, Ft. Myers concert listed? Where'd that come from?

WTF for me too...all I see on the Barbara Mann Center August calendar is Kathy Griffin on the 19th

(lol...maybe this should be called The Clay Aiken Does FL Tour)

Edited by laughn

Yay for M&G buttons! I clicked my one lonely little button *sigh* - clicked the link and had a confirm email a minute later :Tour3:

As a diversion - my timing seems to always stink, but I'll give this a shot anyway *g* - here's my latest montage, Ordinary World. Hope you enjoy even though there's M&G's and producers and passports and only 3 weeks to go!! to think and talk about *g*

My montage buddy dreamlarge encouraged me on this one - most I create just clutter up my hd and never see the light of day cause I'm a big weinie - not comfortable putting myself out there much - but she told me to go for it.

Anyway, if you like this sort of thing, here it is!

youtube: http://tinyurl.com/3adkjh

sendspace: http://tinyurl.com/2lgz7z

Yay for M&G buttons! I clicked my one lonely little button *sigh* - clicked the link and had a confirm email a minute later :Tour3:

As a diversion - my timing seems to always stink, but I'll give this a shot anyway *g* - here's my latest montage, Ordinary World. Hope you enjoy even though there's M&G's and producers and passports and only 3 weeks to go!! to think and talk about *g*

My montage buddy dreamlarge encouraged me on this one - most I create just clutter up my hd and never see the light of day cause I'm a big weinie - not comfortable putting myself out there much - but she told me to go for it.

gorgeous montage puddinsjoy...I was soo mesmerized. The song was great too. Kat McPhee can sound really pretty.

PuddinsJoy, the black and white photos and video were very striking - great visuals! I really liked the last photo of the bangs floating across Clay's eyes. [Tell me he still has time to grow them back out before the concerts start. I miss 'em.] I hadn't heard much of Katherine's post-Idol music, but I enjoyed that song.

I think Clay's career is being carefully nurtured and plotted. And I believe everything is going according to plan.

KeepingFaith Your positive outlook and optimism is wonderful. I wish I saw things like you do, and hope that after the concerts this summer I will feel better about things. I guess I think if Clay's career had been being carefully nurtured and plotted, he would be in a different place in the industry. I think he's been doing the best with what he's had to work with, and/or making some decisions that haven't been the best (but perhaps have been what he wanted) for his image or for selling albums. But then, that's JMO.

I remember back during that first year or two how very bright things looked for Clay. During the IT with Kelly, it was SO clear that most of those packed venues were filled with Clay fans. The applause for him was deafening, and his stage presence was so much more electrifying than hers. It's still somewhat puzzling to me that Kelly has been so much more successful than Clay has. I think Breakaway was a very, very good album with a few really awesome songs. I am still disappointed for Clay that he didn't have a similar sophmore album with some upbeat and catchy songs that would have sold well to a broader audience. His career needed that. ATDW was not part of a well planned out, carefully plotted career, even though I listen to it all of the time and enjoy many songs on it.

But what bums me out the most is that when people (other than his fans) talk about Clay, it's not about the music and it's not about his humanitarian work either. He's become a joke in the pop culture world. He was the butt of jokes from the very beginning, but it seems to have gotten even worse. I just wonder if it's possible for him to turn that around to the point where he could become a respected entertainer. His fans are part of the problem. The focus on his sexuality is (a big) part of the problem. And HE is part of the problem. He is capable of being calmly witty and intelligent on talk show, but recently I don't think he's been showing his best side. Again, just my very subjective opinion, but one that I know is shared by many other fans. I tend to watch him thinking about what non-fans would think if they were watching him, and recently I've been cringing (whereas before this calendar year, I never had that reaction).

I will always love him, buy his albums, go to his concerts, and want the best for him. But I am far from convinced that he has anyone wise advising him. I also have no clue who "Team Clay" is supposed to be. Mary? Jerome? Clive? Jaymes? I'm hopeful that David Foster is trying to help him out, but then I don't even know if DF is the right person to be guiding his career.

I hope you all are right and he keeps selling concert tickets, cause that is where he really shines, and that his next CD goes at least platinum. My only real interest in what he does is how it affects his career because I want him around for a long time because I adore him.

Oh yeah, baby!!!!!

:lilredani:

As soon as I clicked to enter for Syracuse, I got an email notice immediately. Entered for Canandaigua - got nada. Oh well! I'm sure it'll show up sooner or later.

WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!

I got one right away for Houston...clicked on Tulsa and no email...nothing.....strange how so many have got all and so many havent......

Okay and I said somewhere else, I never win anything, but wanted my daughter to....someone posted....that yes I DID win ...the biggest prize....a second chance at life. wow...so true..and that was THE best prize of all...

but dang, just in case, I think I just quit eating for the next two plus weeks...lol

In case you didnt see it on CV....I loved it...... :clap: wow I love love the black and white!

Totally... I guess its hard for me to understand how you feel because I have never cringed at anything Clay has done. Oh I think the only time I did was when he did put his hand on Kelly R's mouth because I saw that she wouldn't be a god sport about it but I always thought Clay is very funny and I'm always feel entertained by him...always feel so proud of him so can you clarify what behavior you find cringe worthy?

I also think he is very much respected. While its true there are people that want to make fun of him but there are also a lot of people that admire him...I don;t think there has ever been an entertainer that was universally loved. I think his talent is respected...he is just not considered cool right now because people don;t really know what his music is about. I am hoping his next CD will finally establish his musical identity.

I do think the last year he was derailed a bit...not permanently but a lot of focus was on other things other than his music. This is not something of his own doing butfate chose to throw a challenge to Clay and this fandom. I think we all survived it pretty well...a bit roughed up but still looking forward to the next Clay project. I thought Clay handled that irritation brilliantly. I think that is why you feel Clay has no direction. I do think he does...but he had to take a small detour to avoid some obstacles. but I do believe he is on track once again.

I know a lot of fans have their dream for Clay...have this vision of how he will have his career. That vision may not be Clay's vision. We have to remember for us we are simply observing so its easy for us to say this should've been done etc...but Clay, he is living it. There are things he is dealing with that we will never know. I have let go of my own vision of what Clay will be and decided to just relax and enjoy the ride and go with the flooooow.

I am always one who always felt that Clay was never as big as some in this fandom made him out to be - even at his height.

HUH? :scream:

THIS? From CLAYGASM?

HUH? :blink: I mean, I'm pretty sure she was the one trying to convince me that the Rhode Island YGAF video does NOT lie....(well, maybe there were others who also thought the evidence was obvious...)

So I repeat...

HUH?

Oooops!! Must have been a momentary lapse in judgement! A poor choice of words to be sure!

And yup, I always said that RI YGAF video was the real deal!

Great attitude Muski...yup I need to do something too. I started walking with my friend this week...its been great. I was in the doctor today and we concluded that my feeling tired and general crappy feelign is probably due to the 15 lbs I gained since I went to the doctor last. SO...I shall join you in doing something positive for myself.

and hee you have a coming bday too...hee guess who else has an upcoming bday.

Oh great. Put me to shame! I was actually being good for a few weeks. But that was a few weeks ago!

And yeah, I have a birthday coming up all too fast too!

MEET & GREET BUTTONS ARE ON THE OFC TOUR PAGE!

:Tour3: :Tour3: :TourExcite: :Tour3: :Tour3:

You know, I have no desire to win a meet and greet. IF I ever meet Clay, I want quality time, not being hustled through for my 15 seconds of a brush with greatness! Besides, I never win and it would annoy the hell out of me when the same 10 people who have met him tons of times win yet again.

So, I will leave a spot for someone who wants it more than me. (And of course, I will end up jealous of those who do win....)

WTF? What's that Aug. 16, Ft. Myers concert listed? Where'd that come from?

What????? Tell me he's still adding concerts, less than a month before the tour.

I cannot go to another concert. I cannot go to another concert. I cannot go to another concert. I cannot go to another concert. I really can't.

A Florida 3-fer will just have to do. Won't it?

PuddinsJoy....gah.

Totally...I hear ya, honey. I agree that it will take a concerted effort to either negate or diminish the perception of Clay that has, in the last year or so---regardless of how unfairly, taken hold. And I like a lot of Kelly's Breakaway, too. It really was a commercially good CD and the girl can sing. Clay can sing, but his sophomore CD---covers---couldn't compete. (Yes, I know it's not.a.com-pe-ti-tion! hee)...

A cover sophomore effort combined with the gnats and some fans' misguided (IMO) efforts to defend him?--and Clay's talent becomes something the 'average' person out there, people not entrenched in the internet fandom, has to be reminded of when they hear his name because it's not his singing that first comes to mind.

I say these things based on what I hear and see as reactions from the 'not us' population that I come in contact with. Mention his name and I hear, "Oh, yeah...whatever happened to him?" or "He really looks different. I saw a picture of him in..." "He's gay, right?" "Has he put out a record lately?" "I didn't know he was touring."

etc.

Of course those of us 'in the know'---on the boards, following everything about him---know he's busy do this and that, appearing here and there, on this talk show or that one. But the average person going about his or her daily life? Nope. Clay's not even a blip on their radar until a new entertainment mag or rag or tabloid or new 'scandal' brings his name to the headlines.

Not his music. His 'notoriety'---rightly or wrongly earned.

I don't like it. And you guys KNOW I love this man and believe in him. But I don't know who "Team Clay" is, either. Whoever they are, I don't presume to know how to be a better "Team Clay"; I'm just saying I also don't see evidence that what they ARE doing is particularly...effective.

Now....about the Ft. Myers concert...WTF? :scream:

I tend to watch him thinking about what non-fans would think if they were watching him,

Hmmm. I'm not sure that I understand how this works. Can you explain how someone who claims to adore him can look at him through a non-fans eyes? And when you say "non-fan" do you mean someone who isn't an intese internet fan like you or someone who just remembers him from AI or do you mean a hater?

---

One of my other favorite singers is Raul Malo.

I bet you've never heard of him.

He's been around since the 80's when he fronted a band called the Mavericks. He still puts out CD's, he tours, he has loyal fans who travel to see him, he has a fan club and a message board. He's a singer/songwriter, a genrejumping critical darling whose never gotten much in the way of radio play. His last CD came out in April. Love song covers.

But I bet you've never heard of him.

edited for clarity

Edited by jamar1700