July 4th Frisco, texas

((((Muski))) sorry you didn't have a very good time...

I guess that is why Clay knew he was taking a huge risk...not everyone will get it. I watched the first Clack and I just can't stop laughing...the big butt song was hilarious.

That was really not a concert per se anyway cos most of the people that were not us was there to enjoy the fireworks and the soccer game.. Hopefully you will enjoy Houston better.

Ahhh, sorry you had so many problems with it. I worried a bit for him doing a concert for people who were there for reasons that had nothing to do with him. Hopefully the smaller venue and the crowd being his, and we know there will be a longer set, will even things out. I have a feeling he won't change the set much though... we'll see. I just saw some clack from the medley and I got the impression he was snarking on Keith from his season but that may have gone way over people's heads. :F_05BL17blowkiss:

From Abrahammy at the CH:

Just got back.

Oh. My. God.

Three years. It's been THREE YEARS since I've seen Clay Aiken in concert, and the last time I was so pregnant I could barely move, peering at the Jumbotron from the member's club at the Nokia.

This time... I was Ten. Fricking. Feet. AWAY as he sang Lover All Alone in concert for the VERY FIRST TIME EVER.

It is immensely obvious how important that song is to him. This was really pretty wonderful.

Oh, yeah, and the man is a scream, too. SEXYBACK????!!! Who on earth would put Big Butts, Sexyback, 1999, and Achy Breaky Heart in one medley and it would WORK???!!!

Ahhh, sorry you had so many problems with it. I worried a bit for him doing a concert for people who were there for reasons that had nothing to do with him. Hopefully the smaller venue and the crowd being his, and we know there will be a longer set, will even things out. I have a feeling he won't change the set much though... we'll see. I just saw some clack from the medley and I got the impression he was snarking on Keith from his season but that may have gone way over people's heads. :F_05BL17blowkiss:

oh yeah that was totally Keith...

I just watched part 1 of the sexy back medley and LAA - and I see what you mean muski!

I can hear people talking all thru it! I think this will go over a lot better in a venue with predominately

all Clay fans.

Can't wait to see it!!!

I just watched part 1 of the sexy back medley and LAA - and I see what you mean muski!

I can hear people talking all thru it! I think this will go over a lot better in a venue with predominately

all Clay fans.

Can't wait to see it!!!

The thing is..I think the non clayfan crown would've acted the same way regardless of who was up there on the stage. This was July 4th...a party...the singer was just an added attraction.

Wait'll you see jojoct's Top 40 classics, the full medley. Sure it's opening night and a soccer stadium. I seem to remember really dire predictions about this event when it was first announced. Nobody heckled him (World's Series), nobody threw stuff, lots of people were having fun, the medley is a clever arrangement that's only going to be better. The show is the most challenging one he's ever done, I think, and it hasn't pulled 100% together yet, and I know he'll be tweaking it cause he's a smart, smart man who knows how to entertain. Clay's so comfortable in his own skin these days and I kind of like the guy. He's got a fantastic sense of humor, does not take himself too seriously, and does not take on airs. Speaks his mind. Does his thing.

I like big butts and I can not lie

You other brothers can’t deny

That when a girl walks in with an itty bitty waist

And a round thing in your face

You get sprung, wanna pull out your tough

Bwaaahh He's so cute when he raps Bwaaahh

I think it's abundantly clear that this album is not something he's trying desperately to forget. I was surprised that there weren't any songs from MoaM, particularly Invisible, but I suppose it's possible that we'll see them in the longer shows. Music from MoaM is known, for the most part, by his die hard fans. In these venues, many of which may include new audiences, familiar covers from ATDW may be more accessible.

Yeah, he pretty much told the people at the m&g that he would be doing songs from MOAM at the next concert, didn't he? But I totally love that he loves and is proud of and is PROMOTING ATDW.

1. ATDW songs to promote (yes, I said PROMOTE) his latest album

2. Fun medleys to showcase his personality and lack of pretension

3. "Lover All Alone," for his die-hard fans, and for any who may wonder if he really is an artist.

For a relatively brief concert, I thought his choices were fantastic.

I did, too. I was watching the clock the whole time thinking "how is he going to fit it all in?" I think he did an awesome job. I bet he had to make a few decisions about what to include or not to include on the fly, too.

From our view point, the 'crowd' behind that small huddled group continued doing what it had been doing throughout the entire concert---walking around, running...playing soccer and tag...leaving the field and returning...beer vendor walking around hawking his product...lots of laughing of children and boisterous talking among adults...lots of talking from people sitting in the seats around us...

muski, I think that this is pretty typical of this type of a venue. I remember that it was kind of similar at the afternoon Dort N'Arena show on the NAT, because a lot of people came as a part of the state fair (the shows were only $15 extra). I wouldn't read much into it.

The Like a Virgin. Just.Say.No. Clay. I slithered down in my seat at that one. I would venture that about 80% of the audience had no idea he was doing snark...The man sitting next to me throughout the soccer game and I had struck up a conversation. Nice guy. Anyway, I'd told him about some of Clay's background, which he knew nothing about, and he seemed pretty open to things. Then, when Clay started the "Virgin" thing, this guy said, "Uh...he should not do that."

I said, "I agree."

But the thing is, he doesn't care. So why should we? He just wants to have fun. To me, that wa a pretty fun medley. I sure hope he keeps it in the show!

I hope I won't have any reason to feel at times that I was watching a "Hometown Connection" video.

I appreciate that not everyone likes the Hometown stuff, but to me, the closer he gets to "Hometown Connection" Clay, the closer we are getting to the real guy. And that's what I want, and love. That he's feeling so comfortable with himself, and with us, that he can really just be himself.

And for God's sake, Clay! Tuck in your shirt and wear jeans that hug your considerable front curvatures. :hubbahubba:

Oh please God, no, don't tuck it in, Clay. Really. It's ok. There was lots of skin showing last night!

I seem to remember really dire predictions about this event when it was first announced. Nobody heckled him (World's Series), nobody threw stuff, lots of people were having fun, the medley is a clever arrangement that's only going to be better.

Exactly!

Another interesting recap from CV, in light of the discussion:

I’ve only had time to read the cellcert recaps, so I’ll apologize ahead of time if the things I mention have already been reported. DH and I went to the concert with my oldest son, his wife, my 2 grandkids and my youngest son. The kids are 3 and 5, so we remained in the stands when the concert started so they would be able to see. I was amazed at how many people moved down to the field (or the pitch, as JoJobugs insists it should be called.) I would guess about 60%. Probably 70% of the 60% moved close to the stage to see the concert, while the others remained toward the back of the field, either sitting on blankets or moving around playing soccer, frisby, etc. The players were mostly young kids, and I have to admit that the constant movement was distracting. I bet it was driving Clay crazy, but I honestly think the activity would have happened no matter who was performing. The crowd really tuned in to the tv theme medley. Even my grandkids got excited when he sang the Full House theme. Both of my sons recognized most of the themes. But the hit of the evening for the not-paying-much-attention 30% was the “sexy-back medley”. I noticed immediately that much of the activity stopped when this segment started. There was a lot of laughter, but the younger audience members were “grooving” along to those songs they recognized. My personal favorite was “She thinks my tractor’s sexy”. He had me rolling on the floor with that one. Everyone was pretty pumped at the end of the medley and I was surprised that this was the spot Clay chose to sing "Lover All Alone". However, most of the crowd continued to stay tuned in and seemed to be really listening. As far as standing ovations go, there really weren’t any that included the majority of folks in the stands, but it wasn’t that kind of a concert. There was just too much going on within the venue. I think overall we can consider the concert a success. Not a slam-dunk, but not a flop either. The only somewhat negative comment I heard was a couple of guys who hoped he wouldn’t do an encore because they were ready for the fireworks to start. There were many many people that didn’t fit the “clay aiken crowd” stereotype that would normally have never seen him in concert if he’d been in a different venue.

My family really enjoyed the concert. My youngest (just turned 20) told his girlfriend over the phone that he was “halfway entertained”. That is a HUGE compliment coming from him. I am really looking forward to tomorrow night’s concert in Jones Hall where the audience will be completely focused on the performance. I’m also looking forward to seeing Clay’s expressions during the medley. He was obviously having the time of his life and it’s so much fun to watch him having fun.

I ran into Toni, xxx4clay, AAIT, Coopersgirl, Ruby23, Morgain and had a lovely conversation with Bellyaiken. I’m looking forward to meeting many more CVers in the next 2 days. I hadn’t realized how much I’d missed the summer tours.

Just for shits & giggles and because I'm apparently as cheeeeezy as the next mouse, I pulled some lyrics from a few of the TV themes that Clay sang in the medley.

I think some of them are just perfect.

As Long as We Got Each Other by Steve Dorff & John Bettis

Show me that smile again. (Show me that smile)

Don't waste another minute on your cryin.

We're nowhere near the end (nowhere near)

The best is ready to begin.

Oooohhh. As long as we got each other

We got the world spinnin right in our hands.

Baby you and me, we gotta be

The luckiest dreamers who never quit dreamin.

As long as we keep on givin

We can take anything that comes our way

Baby, rain or shine, all the time

We got each other Sharin the laughter and love.

Nothing’s Gonna Stop Me Now by Jesse Frederoc & Bennett Salvay

Sometimes the world looks perfect: Nothing to rearrange.

Sometimes you get a feeling like you need some kind of change.

No matter what the odds are this time, nothing’s going to stand in my way.

This flame in my heart, and a long lost friend.

Gives every dark street a light at the end.

Standing tall, on the wings of my dream.

Rise and fall, on the wings of my dream.

The rain and thunder. The wind and haze.

I’m bound for better days. It’s my life and my dream,

Nothing’s going to stop me now.

It Takes Diff’rent Strokes by Alan Thicke, Gloria Loring & Al Burton

Now, the world don’t move to the beat of just one drum,

What might be right for you, may not be right for some.

A man is born, he’s a man of means.

Then along come two, they got nothing but their jeans.

Everybody’s got a special kind of story.

Everybody finds a way to shine,

It don’t matter that you got not alot. So what,

They’ll have theirs, and you’ll have yours, and I’ll have mine.

And together we’ll be fine...

Because it takes, Diff’rent Strokes to move the world. Yes it does.

It takes, Diff’rent Strokes to move the world.

Everywhere You Look by Jesse Frederick

Everywhere you look, everywhere you go (there’s a heart).

There’s a heart. A hand to hold onto.

Everywhere you look, everywhere you go.

There’s a face of somebody who needs you.

Everywhere you look,

When you’re lost out there and you’re all alone,

A light is waiting to carry you home,

Everywhere you look. Everywhere you look.

If you'd like to look up more...heres a neat site.

http://www.cfhf.net/lyrics/alpha.htm

Edited by jamar1700

I’m posting this with minimum revision after reading through once. And while my tenses are present and past and future perfect and all within one thought … I decided that was probably most appropriate for this recap of my virgin experience so no corrections.

This is an impossible attempt at recalling my stream of consciousness on the occasion of seeing and hearing Clay Aiken in concert for the first time in my life. The night before I was very calmly in slo-mo, my mind elsewhere and drifting in and out of being present in my surroundings. merrieeee called and asked if I wanted to drive over and spend the night to facilitate an early start, but I’m a lousy night driver, and probably an even worse stupefied night driver, and it’s over an hour to her house, so I put the finishing touches on my haphazard packing and tried to sleep. I dropped off about 3am and woke up at 5:30, was on the road at 6:00 and after gas and terrible traffic I arrived at merrieeee's to find KAndre and Solo just arrived in the driveway. OMG this is happening! The atmosphere in merrieeee’s house was electric. I met Playbiller and as soon as Scarlett arrived we were off …. to Kroger’s … and then to the highway. I don’t remember driving to Dallas, except that merrieeee and Play were in the car with me. Oh, and I also remember that Elvira was with us. An invaluable member of our troupe! The Speedie car had long before passed, and by the time Pokie car neared DFW, Speedie had already picked up perusing one and was scouting restaurants. We managed a rendezvous for lunch, and then split up again – this time KAndre, Elvira and I to Love Field to pick up Muskifest and Claygasm. So the day is young and I’ve already met three more FCA’ers – Play, Muski and CG! The next hour or so is a mishmash of getting gas (because thank goodness KAndre was aware enough to notice my left-leaning gas gauge) then finding Pizza Hut Park (at which point KAndre was relaying info via cellphone that Clay would sing Achy Breaky Heart and Like A Virgin, that his hair was longer and that Angela and Quiana were with him and I loved all of this happnin’ stuff. Wait a minute, Achy Breaky Heart? Like A Virgin? you say? Oh, Clay's singing, never mind.) and then we were turning around to get back on the highway to find the Hampton (how many can there be in Frisco, Texas??) where Pokie again caught up with Speedie and ….. I am now officially in the Aiken Fog. You may have thought that had happened to me much sooner, but this was on a whole other level. What do I remember? The voice of Elvira imploring me repeatedly to make legal u-turns at the earliest opportunity. I am embarrassed to recall that I was having a problem getting into the right driveway in and out of the hotel parking lot. Thinking back on this, I’m more than a little shocked that someone, anyone did not mercifully take the wheel from me. It would have been the sane, humane and life-preserving thing to do.

Back at PHP -- we park, are detoured through a room offering free water and soft drinks, and I’m following My People to the Promised Land. Oh yeah, we’re going to a soccer game right now. Muski, CG, merrieeee and I find our way to our seats on the front row of 103. My first soccer game and it’s pleasant enough with an enthusiastic crowd, a bunch of guys running around in front of me, a crazy brass band, and miraculously, blue skies and moderate temperatures. T-shirts? They are selling t-shirts? merrieeee and I are gone in a flash and EEEEEEEEEEEEEE we get our shirts and bop back ready for our SexySingerMan to appear. Oh yeah, there’s this little thing about a soccer game being played. I became a stage watcher at this point. Musicians were wandering on and off --- is that guy with stringy blond hair Roger? Binoculars say no. But, but, but ….. as the game nears an end, action picks up on the stage and people are already filling all the aisles in anticipation of the Stampede of Twenty O’Seven. And, oh yeah, that's MARY on stage now. And what’s KAndre doing there at the front of the Sooner line with that bad foot?? Oh, wait a minute. It’s KAndre … what was I thinking? Like anyone would be so bold as to get in her way!!

The game ends, Dallas wins, crowd is jubilant for a couple of different reasons, and the announcer says what I've been waiting to hear …. The concert is going to begin .... just as soon as the field is ready and they begin removing soccer related accoutrement. Muski and CG have elected to remain in their front row seats, and merrieeee and I go through the motions of debating the pros and cons of staying there or going to the field, and after a tentative decision to stay in the stands pending periodic stratetic situational review, we see the field crew removing barricades in front of the stage and at exactly the same moment merrieeee and I look at each other and we're off!!!!! Ane then we’re just THERE, right in front, no pushing, no shoving, just happy, happy people, lots of teens, lots of young couples and lots of card-carrying members of the Clay Nation. Ressamac appears beside me, I meet her and she gifts me with a Clay! Texas! 2007! pin in the shape of the Lone Star State, as my anticipating and swoonishness attains Go Ask Alice proportions. Ressamac is speaking to me again. How cool to meet her in front of the stage at my first concert and get a present from her … and merrieeee and I are schoolgirls jumping around and getting too manic for words (this process would repeat over the weekend, culminating with our insane singing of He Touched Me in the parking lot outside the Brady Theatre!). Oh yeah, Ressamac said something to me, something very nice, and I can't remember what it was, it flies right past me, and I smile as if I have good sense, just too, too too much to take in. At least I snap about a minute later and admit to her that I heard her speak and didn’t retain enough to form a sentence of response and she tells me that she sees that in my face. I’m giving up all pretense of a career at the poker tables. Let’s just say that at one time I was considered astute, but now I'm simply A Stoot! I can’t describe the amount of nervous energy I was trying to contain. I tried, but I couldn’t be still. I was dancing around to the music, I remember hearing Beautiful Day in there somewhere, but who knows when that was. I’m always on the edge of being an explosion of nervous energy that shows itself in the biting of the lip, the twisty-mouth biting thing, and on a real bad day hair-twirling (hence the cap). I was over the edge when the real music begins and we all hear the orchestra strike up Hear You Come Again, then the girls come out and we’re waiting, and I’m clapping in a robotic, disconnected way, and I know that only because I’ve watched myself in a video, and then I start fanning my overshirt and voila! The voice permeates and I freeze. (And merrieeee – I begged her not to look at me, and she said she wouldn’t, but she got busted by the camera! Bad. bad merrieeee!) I hear the voice, and then he strolls in front of us from the left and it’s again not easy to effectively describe what that vision is at that moment but I’m thinking about the 7 Faces of Dr. Lao in that I see all the beautific, sexy, alluring, beguiling, innocent, precious, naïve, worldly expressions within a single beautiful face, simultaneously. Forevermore I’ll never again think Clay Aiken has a chameleon like appearance. It’s all there all the time and sometimes a picture can capture and isolate one facet over others, but he’s always all there and I know it now --- the kid who auditioned for American Idol, the cute guy on the cover of Rolling Stone, my forever-idol of AI5, Snowflake Clay, Gala Clay, the Clay pictured with David Foster in Canada last month – and he denied me nothing. He just came together for me. I even got the bare feet of Clay. I’m a muttering mass over the feet already, before he throws off his shoes and I SEE them. Please! God! It’s very, very good to be tall enough to see Clay’s feet and I get incredible glimpses of the BIG TOE!!!

From the beginning, when he went from HYCA to IWTKWLI and the crowd in front of the stage was screaming and crying and yelling and begging at him, I stood there and had my senses filled. I loved it when he talked. The first I heard him speak … Happy Fourth of July, Texas! And in retrospect I think his increased banter in relation to songs performed that night was a good thing, whether done of a purpose or impromptu. There were literally thousands of people there seeing Clay Aiken for the first time, many having no idea who he was at all. You’d probably have to exist in Texas for a time to understand that, but Texas is not Top 40 territory, or American Idol country, to put it mildly, and Clay Aiken was completely unknown to so many. I think it was important that Clay spent time speaking “Southern accent” to a local crowd that speaks his mother tongue in a similar fashion. Texas has never even been Nashville Country. It’s Texas Country. It's "Bob Wills Is Still The King" Country. Clay spoke to establish his bona fides as a Southern boy more than qualified to sing God Bless the USA in Dallas. I don’t know if that makes sense to anyone else, or even if it should, but it was a very good move and people responded. I don’t think Clay sounded a false note to the local crowd in his repartee that others may have seen as halting, or repetitive, or simple – but that stuff works with a homegrown Texas crowd meeting someone new. I could write a book on that, but never will, so enough said. Except to stress that bare feet, a true-ringing Southern accent, and Sexy Tractor will soften up any Texas crowd and the noise I heard from the field in response to Clay Aiken was deafening. Deafening. And it was not.just.field.

Clay’s voice was perfect. Effortless. The high notes, the low notes, the intensity of Without You and the breathtakingly breathless Lover All Alone – and he finally won me over to that song. Watching Clay perform his own lyrics, and for the first time, will not leave me anytime soon if ever. But what was everyone talking about that night? The Classics, of course. Which he repeated several times in introduction to make certain we well understood that this section is forever to be known as The Classics. The make it or break it -- "huge success or colossal failure" -- nature of this segment as he has intimated in his blog, and in pre-concert interviews, clarify to me that this was intended as more than upbeat ditties to interject into a mellow program, although it worked on that level, too. No, no. For me, and I repeat, for me, this is Clay at his multi-leveled, -faceted best. He was trying it all out on the crowd, a crowd that for the most part didn’t know who he was, and he had cover. Clay could do a little rap, a little country, some JT, MJ, Prince, Beyonce, Madonna, Britney, and even Paula Abdul and be credible, while doing it under the guise of parody. It was a hot, authentic performance for me. And the least inhibited of the three Classics performances I saw last week. Of course he would vamp, and mug at appropriate times just in case anyone thought he was serious …. and, HA, he was serious as a heart attack. A part of Clay Aiken is always seriously not taking himself seriously, I think. The crowd throughout was screaming and singing along and the screams were mostly coming from the teenagers and young women and mature women and the guy standing next to me in an Uncle Sam hat who was having the time of his life and MEEEEE!! Everybody danced and sang and loved every minute of it. The screaming was genuine and deserved and most of all necessary and appropriate.

I cannot over emphasize just how down I am with OPP.

I watched xxx4clay’s Classics clack from Frisco and that’s what I heard. Until the day that Solo and Scarlett get their OPP available for download, this one gets it right re The Classics. I love Clay so much. I’m sorry that he stopped singing Like A Virgin and hope it returns.

With Clay’s comment about the new album and where he wants to go with melodies with hooks, current arrangements and the British producer he believes can make it happen, I think the Classics section is Clay trying out that new lane in a fast car. And I think it’s called The Passing Lane. I’m still so excited about it all that I may never get off that field in Frisco. I'll write more when I snap out of the fog I've again backed into again. Or maybe it's time to watch the xxx4clay Classics again -- take it to the bridge.

A part of Clay Aiken is always seriously not taking himself seriously, I think.

keepingfaith, I love this line. I think you captured what I love about the man so much with those few little words.

Thanks for the great recap!

OMG keepingfaith that was soooo excellent...and well worth the wait...if you read back on Frisco I think there were a lot of ...so what did keepingfaith think...and this is how your first time should be. Pretty much like when Clay sang O Canada to me on my first time and passed 2 feet in front of me on my first time...and first sang one of my all time favorite Clay song....Tears Run Dry...I hope every virgin gets it this good...hee.

That is sooo going on FCA...thanks for sharing!!!

keepingfaith, I so admire your ability to "perform under pressure of pulsating perfection"!

Your recap is EXCELLENT and I would never guess that you were under the aiken fog given the clarity of your detailed description of that moment -

Quote: "I hear the voice, and then he strolls in front of us from the left and it’s again not easy to effectively describe what that vision is at that moment but I’m thinking about the 7 Faces of Dr. Lao in that I see all the beautific, sexy, alluring, beguiling, innocent, precious, naïve, worldly expressions within a single beautiful face, simultaneously. Forevermore I’ll never again think Clay Aiken has a chameleon like appearance. It’s all there all the time and sometimes a picture can capture and isolate one facet over others, but he’s always all there and I know it now --- the kid who auditioned for American Idol, the cute guy on the cover of Rolling Stone, my forever-idol of AI5, Snowflake Clay, Gala Clay, the Clay pictured with David Foster in Canada last month – and he denied me nothing."

:clap:

I am so afraid I shall never be able to utter anything other than a single syllable such as huh, uhm, gah, gulp....when my time comes. AND IT'S COMING...

I shall be deflowered soooooon. I hope to live up to the standard you have set here for virginal recaps and if I do not, please take pity and just nod your heads politely.

...he’s always all there and I know it now --- the kid who auditioned for American Idol, the cute guy on the cover of Rolling Stone, my forever-idol of AI5, Snowflake Clay, Gala Clay, the Clay pictured with David Foster in Canada last month – and he denied me nothing.
I need to include Jukebox Clay in there. I've grieved over not being around for Jukebox Tour and Frisco was very healing in that way. And I notice that the finger in cheek vamping and puppy dog eyes he was giving out in Like A Virgin was exactly what he was doing while auctioning the Wango Tango shirt -- and everybody drooled over it. It's all everpresent in this man and that revelation was the crown of the entire experience for me. It didn't require any analysis, it filled my head. It's all Clay. It's always Clay.

keepingfaith - I could tell from your face after the concert that you got everything you wanted from this concert - and more. I am so glad. Even though I was disappointed in the Frisco concert, the one thing that thrilled me was knowing YOU weren't disappointed!!

Your first time should always be very, very special. I'm so glad yours was! :F_05BL17blowkiss: