Job Highs and Woes

Couch Tomato

So we are in wait and see mode regarding "suprise, it's a boy" .she's not prepared for this and probably can't afford to just quit and stay at home. BUt we have no clue yet when she will be back. So now, the girl I was training to replace me has to immediately move to take over this position until we know what's up. I've been asked to stay longer IF IF UH and I said yes because VP (who already lost, but maybe only momentarily her assistant) is also pregnant and was preparing to take her leave soon. The big boss is out of the country visiting her son whose wife gave birth to twins over the weekend. She won't be back until mid August. I'm thinking that new mom will get over her shock, come to some decisions and be back to work sooner or later, if even on a part time basis.

Wow! Never a dull moment, huh, Couchie? Oh, and don't drink the water!!

Well... no new job & no trip to SF... *sigh*

Just like King Arthur, I'm so depressed...

Thanks everyone. This has just been one very CRAPPY week here.

*Writes 500 times in spiral notebook: I will be glad I have a job, I will be glad I have a job, I will be glad I have a job...*

For annabear - :hugs-1:

And Couchie - wow, how many people at your workplace are pregnant?? Including the one who somehow didn't KNOW she was pregnant! I agree, don't drink the water or the coffee, and maybe even wear a mask - BWAH!

Why oh why did I come back to work?!?! Oh yeah, I need the money for Clay trips. But still...

The latest is, of all things, my boss' retirement party. Actually, there's going to be two of them. One will be held on campus -- my boss' boss has asked me to take the reins on it, and it should be fairly easy, I think, just cake and punch and a lot of people. But my boss has also asked for another party, outside of the college, with just her current staff, and I think former staff as well. She doesn't want HER boss to know about it, at all, which puts some of us kind of in the middle of things, because most of us are now working for this other person. (She's not well liked by most of us, but IMO that's neither here nor there, we still have to work for the woman). I've now heard that I have an email waiting for me from my boss -- I'm afraid to open it. I have a feeling it's her telling me what kind of party she wants, down to the present. I understand wanting to give input (and yeah, I've been lax on asking her), but still -- would you throw your own retirement party? But have other people do it for you?

I don't know. It's just crazy. I was pretty good about coming in to work this morning, and now I'm ready to go home. And it's only 8:00 a.m.

ETA Just opened the email, it's not too bad, really. But her assistant, who got the original email, thought it just wrong -- that she was telling us how and when and where to have the party, and she doesn't agree with that sentiment at all. Again, I don't know -- I've been in other workplace areas where people who were leaving suggesting things for a party, even before being asked. I think it's the assistant (who is also my cubicle mate) who is blowing this way out of proportion. I may have to shut my door for the day, just to relish the quiet.

Well I think it's horrible to put you in the position of having to keep something like that from your current boss. I'm sure she'll find out. The woman needs to bite the bullet and invite her...so what if she's there...or else plan her own damn party.

If your retiring boss wants to give herself a retirement party, more power to her, but she should be doing the arranging, as well as inviting, not to mention the paying. Let me take a guess, she wants presents and for you to pay for this second party?

I was once in the position where I was arranging a "surprise party" for someone and they were telling me the details to get it done. Well....People kept calling me because they wanted to attend or have their children attend and I had to be the bitch and tell them why they could not come. It was not fun, but it did not cost me a job. This person has put you in a very bad spot and I think you should suddenly become ill again and can't find the time to do it.

Why must there always be at least one person who isn't happy unless they're miserable? I got away from one person like that when I was assigned to this project. Unfortunately, her best friend now sits across from me and instability-wise seems to be about 10 times worse. She's applied for another position off the project and I hope that for my sake, she gets it! 21.gif

How are things going with the dictated retirement party, ldyj?

eeep... my job ends Sept 5th and I have yet to start looking for something new. Time to get on it.

ETA: Play no it was just one of those tough days... we really only have two folks in charge around here and one was in another country and the other just had a baby. Of course lots of crazy things have been happening that I wouldn't normally have to deal with. And I've been throwing some of it back at people..why in hell do I have to find a porta potty that has hand washing capabilities.... in what way does that bear any resemblance to my job. Sounds like a plant manager duty to me... heh.

ETAA and I have sumbitted my first job application. Wish me luck!!

ETAA and I have sumbitted my first job application. Wish me luck!!

You got it! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

Luck!

I just got my review - which seems to be the same review I've gotten for the last 10 years - my bosses luv me, my technical skills are superlative - my peers are vaguely afraid of me and snipe. Oh yeah, I find mundane task boring (and can't seem to hide it) but this is a new one - "she has a calm and poised temperament, and she doesn't take things personally unnecessarily". I take it that means if it's necessary, I'll take it damn personally.

None of which means anything any more. I'll get the same 3% everybody gets. feh.

Boss back from her six week trip...and she did it... talked me into staying until year's end. And since the company generally shuts down the last two weeks of the year..and no instability means I can save money for Spam... I gave in pretty damn easy LOL. Oh well. heee.

And since the company generally shuts down the last two weeks of the year..and no instability means I can save money for Spam...

Both verra verra good things, Couchie.

I had a really good weekend, getting things accomplished at home (it was quiet ALL weekend - I think the mgmt. maybe possibly hopefully got thru to the stupid neighbors) and I'm finding that being here at work today is interfering with the momentum I had going. :clown_4: