Job Highs and Woes

Couch Tomato

First... FromClaygary wanted to add my CONGRATS on your new job!!!

I have also joined the group looking for a new job. I have been working since May at a contract position which was supposed to go to a full hire but unfortunately my position was eliminated due to budget cuts and last Friday was my last day. This was not a job that I loved, but it did pay well so I was hoping it would last until the market improved or until I found something else I liked better. No such luck.

I did go on an interview last week for a job that I really want though. It's an HR Assistant at a non-profit that does disability rights advocacy in California, which would be perfect for me. I am supposed to hear by the end of the week and I am keeping my fingers crossed that I get an offer. I think it went pretty well but I was one of six interviewed so I am trying not to get my hopes up until I hear back.

I also send out a few more resumes today and I am trying to be really careful with my money until I get something else. I think I can go at least a month maybe two if I budget really well so I am not freaking out just yet..

My first fear is not having a job by the time the gala gets here but I am also worried about getting time off so soon after starting a new job. Just have to pray that it all works out.

My first fear is not having a job by the time the gala gets here but I am also worried about getting time off so soon after starting a new job. Just have to pray that it all works out.

Oh, totally PERFECT job for you!! I hope you've had the opportunity to get to know them well enough so that they know that! (did that make ANY sense LOL?) Keeping everything I got crossed for you!

Also~don't even worry about that second fear...as an employER, I can tell you that they are well aware that even when you don't have a job, life goes on. Just make sure that you are upfront about it from the get-go, and remind them about it WHEN you are offered the position. I'm absolutely certain it'll be no issue.

It wasn't for me at all. The response when I reminded her about it last week was 'Oh, no problem!"

Late to the party, but Wheeeeeeeeeee! Way to go, FromClaygary! Congrats! So do you have to travel for this one? :rainbowsmile:

Good luck claylove and everyone else who is job hunting.

Thanks!! :) Technically, no travelling for this job...but the District Mgr has already asked me if I'd be open to helping out at other stores from time to time and I've told her yes....and there is some training done at head office in the city....so practically, I guess some yes, but that's OK with me. :)

I had an interview today. I was one of 12 - we are 12 of 278 that applied for the job.

Unfortunately I don't think it went well. The first interview went well. He actually told me I was the best thus far. And then the interview with the second person veered off track and I've already put that job out of my head. Can't really explain what happened. We just didn't click. Oh well onward and upward.

I had an interview today. I was one of 12 - we are 12 of 278 that applied for the job.

Unfortunately I don't think it went well. The first interview went well. He actually told me I was the best thus far. And then the interview with the second person veered off track and I've already put that job out of my head. Can't really explain what happened. We just didn't click. Oh well onward and upward.

Yes!! *pumps fist* an interview is at the very least, good practise. And think about this....if you didn't really click with the second interviewer and would have had to work with that person....would you really have wanted to?

Maybe take a few minutes to do some analysis of what worked/didn't work for next time?

..but remember that any company for which you're interviewing has to meet YOUR standards as well :)

Last night I realized that I worked very hard on an updated resume to send to FromClaygary for her critique, and then sent one from April of 2008 that was created for a specific job I was applying for. :cryingwlaughter: The worst part is that the 2008 resume is probably better than the more recent one. :cryingwlaughter:

Hey All, just wanted to give an update on my job hunting. Unfortunately, I did not get the job at the non-profit that does disability advocacy. I got a rejection letter last Friday and was pretty bummed. But now that I have had time to think about it, it probably was for the best. While this is a cause I feel personally passionate about, I think there are some good reasons why this was not the position for me. About 75% of the situational questions in the interview were what you would do if.... questions and they all implied a constant high stress, high demand environment. Don't get me wrong, I am fine in a face paced environment. I work pretty quickly and do not like to be bored. But being busy and being under constant stress and overworked are not the same thing. I got the impression the work there is constantly intense and stressful and because I already have chronic pain from Fibromyalgia, that is really not a good work environment for me so it was probably a blessing that I did not get it.

I have been sending out resumes for the last couple of weeks but so far have not heard anything from those. Finally today I received a phone call from an agency I had previously signed up with about a potential job. The good news is I have a temp job on Monday and depending on how that goes, it could lead to a longer temp assignment or even a permanent position. Its for an investment banker that just relocated to a new office building so the initial temp part is to help with getting things set up and settled in their new office. The temp agency thought this was perfect for me because I love to organize. The office manager there will also be retiring in a couple of months so *hopefully* they will like me and I will like them and it could lead to something more. But even if not, I am excited to have some work for Monday! Keeping my fingers crossed :-)

FromClaygary, I sent you an e-mail. (Only in case you missed it.)

I got it, thank you! Have been having some problem DL'ing the resumes and have worked every night since then LOL....but should be able to get back to you tomorrow or Thurs. Sorry for the delay!!

But even if not, I am excited to have some work for Monday! Keeping my fingers crossed :-)

Me too!! ......and I think you're right about the other job. I've become a little more wary about job descriptions too :)

FromClaygary, I sent you an e-mail. (Only in case you missed it.)

I got it, thank you! Have been having some problem DL'ing the resumes and have worked every night since then LOL....but should be able to get back to you tomorrow or Thurs. Sorry for the delay!!

No rush--just checking in case you never got it. I can save those resumes differently if you want. Thanks again.

No rush--just checking in case you never got it. I can save those resumes differently if you want. Thanks again.

No, no worries, not your problem...just stupid Google Chrome, and I knew it was. It DL'd one fine, then told me the whole works was virus'd (which I knew was not true) and wouldn't budge. Today...it was fine! *screw loose in Google Chrome*

Oooh, looks like I'd better get reading the resume writing tips on this thread. It seems as though I have a shot at a promotion to full programmer (wheeee, finally!) but will need to update my poor old resume. AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH.

Eeeeeeeehhhhhhh!!!! Congrats!!

Oooh, looks like I'd better get reading the resume writing tips on this thread. It seems as though I have a shot at a promotion to full programmer (wheeee, finally!) but will need to update my poor old resume. AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH.

Congratulations! I got a lot of good ideas from a site that I found a link to from a site FromClaygary posted: http://www.careerjoy.com/services/free-career-guides. If you check the box for Resumes That Get Jobs, they'll send you a long document with lots of helpful advice. I went ahead and ordered everything they offered. :cryingwlaughter:

I just wanted to post to those looking for work to say, DO NOT GIVE UP!! Keep at it!

After 9 months I FINALLY received a really good job offer which I accepted today. When I opened the email and read it, my eyes just welled up. But now, I am so excited! I start on Nov. 16th.

I decided to celebrate by making a donation to the National Inclusion Project on the last day of the America's Giving Challenge. It has been killing me not to be able to contribute, but today I was finally able to.

Just after that, one of my closest friends sent me a text and when I opened it Clay was singing "On My Way Here"

*sniff*