#14 We were all up on him screaming "Yeah! Yeah!"

ldyjocelyn

Next thread title poll  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Vote for the next main thread title

• I'm easy....I will take Clay any way he wants to give it to me!
    • Clay's instrument is full and especially soul-piercing the deeper it goes.
    • LOOKING FOR WALDO
    • Cut The Crap And Show Us Your Willy
    • [He's] a top quality human being
    • Clay Aiken: You are a Man of Character
    • Clay Aiken... bringing brainy back!!!
    • the Earl of Aikenberry: a man of character and Naughty by Nature
    • We were all up on him screaming "Yeah! Yeah!" (redux)

I'll admit, there was a time when I thought Clay would change the music scene. When he got the cover of Rolling Stone, when he sold 600K copies of MOAM the first week, and when I saw what seemed to be an unusually strong, impassioned fan base, I did feel as though I was witnessing history. And quite frankly, part of me still senses an air of destiny of around him.

However, clearly, he's not quite at Elvis level just yet. And perhaps he never will be. However, I have come to believe that whatever path his career may take, it won't be along a conventional route. Clay is too unique. You can't plug him into the formulas that might make Kelly, Carrie, or Daughtrey stars. I suspect that makes marketing him a bit of a challenge, but I also think that he has a potential far beyond theirs, though it may take some creativity to make the world see it.

Like others, I, too have a good feeling about the next year or so. However, though I have a few wishes, I don't have a lot of specific expectations, because I suspect his possibilities are broader than most believe. I don't want to get tied down to some myopic vision of what his career should be, and I don't want to be disappointed if he doesn't live his life according to my fantasy. I want to be able to enjoy whatever comes, whatever he decides to do.

Clay is a smart guy, who I believe, is much more ambitious than he likes to admit. I think it's possible he's made mistakes, but I also believe he learns quickly and approaches challenges with intelligence and determination. Is that any guarantee of success? No, but I think it does put the odds in his favor, and I can live happily with that.

Edited by JennaZ

Library Man? Whew, he's hawt! And I can't let a mention of him go by without making sure he's on this page:

atdw.jpg

:hubbahubba: (What a great smilie! - I'm likin' this place!)

I forgot about Library Hair!!! I must modify my opinion. Kimmel/Virgin Records Hair is my favorite I have seen-and-been-close-enough-to-touch hair and Library Hair is my favorite professional-photo hair. Keep posting and I'll have to add to the list.

~

Yeah, Ducky I don't know dark music. Heck, half the time I skip anything in a minor key! :music-smiley-023:

~

:xmas07a:

Great post Jenna. Creating his own pop star indeed. I so agree with the creativity aspect. I don't think they can plug him into traditional models either. He definitely needs people around him with imagination, people to think outside the box. But I never forget he is also part of Team Clay - actually the biggest part and I think he does think creatively. He loves to branch out and any one of those outside interests may be the thing to propel him to another level. I hope he writes more too...and not just songs.

Look at the outpouring of interest in Asian markets. Someone on his team should be thinking how to connect those dots. But if they are just going to wait and do things only the way the "handbook" says it should be done, they'll miss out on some great opportunities. Yes also on the ambition. He's also competitive. And actually you need those traits to survive in that business. Miss you around here!

I may not be a librarian but I have been in one. a libary. LOVE that picture.

LOL ETA to fix the above line..it sounded a liitle wrong heh.

waves at CG below me!!

I'll admit, there was a time when I thought Clay would change the music scene. When he got the cover of Rolling Stone, when he sold 600K copies of MOAM the first week, and when I saw what seemed to be an usually strong, impassioned fan base, I did feel as though I was witnessing history. And quite frankly, part of me still senses an air of destiny of around him.

However, clearly, he's not quite at Elvis level just yet. And perhaps he never will be. However, I have come to believe that whatever path his career may take, it won't be along a conventional route. Clay is too unique. You can't plug him into the formulas that might make Kelly, Carrie, or Daughtrey stars. I suspect that makes marketing him a bit of a challenge, but I also think that he has a potential far beyond theirs, though it may take some creativity to make the world see it.

Like others, I, too have a good feeling about the next year or so. However, though I have a few wishes, I don't have a lot of specific expectations, because I suspect his possibilities are broader than most believe. I don't want to get tied down to some myopic vision of what his career should be, and I don't want to be disappointed if he doesn't live his life according to my fantasy. I want to be able to enjoy whatever comes, whatever he decides to do.

Clay is a smart guy, who I believe, is much more ambitious than he likes to admit. I think it's possible he's made mistakes, but I also believe he learns quickly and approaches challenges with intelligence and determination. Is that any guarantee of success? No, but I think it does put the odds in his favor, and I can live happily with that.

:clap::clap::clap: And a BIG, FAT, WORD!!! Especially the bolded parts - although I really could have bolded the entire post!

And because I was inspired by some of the amazing B&W pictures I have seen, I decided to play with some of my less than steller ones from Newark. This one looks pretty decent I think.

newarkclayBW.jpg

Ya know, I sometimes wonder if Clay WANTS to be a super-superstar like Elvis, or if it would even be a good thing for him. The pressures and demands on someone at that level are incredible. I'm not sure that I'd wish that kind of career on him, unless he really wants it. Of course, this is a rhetorical question, because no one knows the answer except Clay and maybe a few people close to him. Perhaps if Clay ends up with this kind of career, he will grow into it with time. And that's probably better, as it gives him time to adjust.

Jenna, I always love your posts, just wanted to tell you that.

Look at the outpouring of interest in Asian markets
I've always been perplexed why this has never been sought out more aggressively. I can see him being HUGE there as they don't have the hangups about the coolness factor like they do in this country.

:hubbahubba:Claygasm, that is more than pretty decent...it's great pic for B&W with the lighting and shadows on his face, the microphone and still get to see the lips and both his hands..I love it. Very artistic.

Who is Tangerinee and where did she come from? She suddenly appears this tour with all these great photos. :clap: Not complaining one bit, I bow down to her.

I don't have any diminished expectations about Clay. He's way way way above Elvis in my book. He's up there with the Beatles of the 60's for me. And I so definitely did not see Clay being a major force in the entertainment world back in 2003.

I do now.

In 2003 I loved MOAM and was so happy for Clay when his album was such a huge seller and hit #1. I thought MOAM was a great album for him, but certainly nothing earth shattering, or something that would turn the music industry on its ear. But I knew he'd always sell records and that he'd have a successful singing career as long as he wanted. When I consider Clay's voice in 2007, add in everything else about him, I now can't perceive of any limitations on his future. Clay may have had some, but I think they've been melting away. Especially since May 2006. To me, he's way bigger now. He's not considered just the flavor of the month, but a lifetime classic favorite like strawberry and chocolate. I think the rest of the world will catch up. Again, Clay may limit his own success. But I really doubt it.

claybeauty_49.jpg

Edited by keepingfaith

Faith, I love that AI5 picture! He looks so very happy. And he was so confident and in-charge on that stage that night. I loved it!

I, too, think that Clay's future is much brighter now than it has ever been. Of course, to me, and to his fans, he is bigger than Elvis or the Beatles, but I don't think he is to the general public. I do agree that he is showing that he has staying power (heh), and that he's not one of those here-today-gone-tomorrow singers. I can definitely see a long-term career for him. How big it is remains to be seen.

I was making the rounds of a couple boards tonight, and saw some nice pics:

Hmmmm, trying to cover something up, Clay? The grasping hands, popping veins, broad shoulders and determined look in this pic are hawt:

clayconcert2029.jpg

Grabbing the mic stand and that O face - yummmmm!

IMG_1142smr.jpg

This one speaks for itself:

IMG_2916E.jpg

This bare foot is sexy! For Bookwhore and all of the foot lovers:

DCATfeet.jpg

Happy Eyes!

eyes2.jpg

Edited by Gibby