Movies, old and new

KAndre

I just watched Unconditional Love for about the fourth time - it is just so funny and sweet and weird, I recommend it highly!

Cathy Bates, Rupert Everett, Jonathan Pryce, Dan Ackroyd, Barry Manilow, that pretty dwarf lady who is showing up on House and Boston Legal, a bunch of other people - I went ahead and ordered it from DeepDiscountDVD, so I would have it to watch whenever I want.

Neccer heard of this movie before...whats it about???

Well, lessee - Cathy Bates is married to Dan Ackroyd, who thinks she is dull and asks for a divorce. She is a big fan of an older singer played by Jonathan pryce - who gets killed on the way to a TV show where Bates has won a M&G.

She is so upset by everything she uncharacteristically travels to England to see pryce's house, and meets pryce's lover/partner, Rupert Everett - seems pryce was in the closet.

Oh, and Bates' DIL is that pretty dwarf lady who is guesting on House and Boston Legal right now, she is her partner in crime, they and Rupert try to track down the killer.

It is a hoot, there are tons of guest stars, but for some reason it never got released, it is just on cable and DVD.

Bates turns out to have quite a nice singing voice, too, and I do love Jonathan Pryce.

If you google the movie, you will see mostly raves!

It was made in 2002 - Manilow has a bit part in it, sings at a tribute, he looks "preserved" or something.

Edited by djs111

Yesterday I watched the Upside of Anger and I really enjoyed it. I love Joan Allen. I just found the role so yummy and surprising. I just really appreciated it and really women of a certain age just don't get to carry movies that much any more. I'm not normally a Kevin Costner fan but I enjoyed him in this as well.

Couchie I have to wholeheartedly agree with you about Sidney Poitier. I loved him. A fine actor and yes his sexy was showing. I've seen everyone of those movies you mentioned.

My son is a huge comic book fan. He especially loves Superman and Spiderman. He used to have a huge collection of comics but eventually sold them. What I love the most about these type movies, are the awesome special effects.

Some of my favorite actors and actresses of olden days are. Katherine Hepburn-Bette Davis-Robert Mitchum-James Stewart-Sidney Poitier. There are others, but these are the ones that spring to my mind first.

Now for some more current actors I like. Clint Eastwood-Robert DeNiro-Anthony Hopkins-Jack Nicholson-Tom Hanks-Dustin Hoffman-Nicole Kidman-Meryl Streep-Richard Gere-Kathy Bates-John Travolta-Johnny Depp-Tom Cruise-Antonio Banderas and a few others.

I am a fan of horror movies and psychological thrillers, the most, but I enjoy a good comedy as well. I loved Silverstreak with Gene Wilder and Richard Pryor. This new one coming up "Blades?" Looks to be funny. However I am anxious to see the new one starring Anthony Hopkins and there is a new scary looking one being advertised that starts with a "D". I can't think of it right now.

A couple of my favorite movies are.

The Green Mile

The Sixth Sense

Midnight Cowboy

The Exorcist

What Ever Happened To Baby Jane

Cape Fear

The Misfits

Doctor Zhivago? Egads my spelling is getting bad

Gone With The Wind

The last movie I watched was Flicka with Tim McGraw. Who I would like to see do more movies because I think he has great acting potential.

I would also love to see Clay get a serious part in a movie as I think he has untapped acting ability, just waiting for someone to direct. He is like a sponge and with a couple of lessons, I could see him doing something besides acting as himself in a quick 2 minute spot.

Edited by Clayzorback

If anybody cares, :cryingwlaughter: these are some of the movies I watched this past week or so.

1.Dream Girls-This was better than I thought it would be. I'm glad I didn't pay to see it, though. I'm not a fan of musicals. I borrowed it from my son. In fact he loans me his movies after they buy them and are done watching them.

2. Sin City-Interesting how they did this like a comic strip in black and white, with patches of color mixed in. It started out ok, but I got tired of the narration after awhile. It is like gumshoe type detective stories. Meh.

3. The Messengers-It was ok.

4. The Hitcher-It was ok too, but it didn't answer obvious questions before it was over. Like why was the killer doing this?

5. 300-Nice historical movie with some neat special effects. About the Spartan 300 war.

6. Bridge To Terabithia-Good Disney movie about friendship with good special effects.

Edited by Clayzorback

This ought to have a few of you scratchin' yer heads -

My daughter and I just watched Charlie Chan and the

Secret Service this weekend. I love the old Charlie

Chan flicks. My dad got me into them when I was little and I have done the same with my daughter. I have nearly all of them, both Warner Oland and Sidney Tolar (no laughter from the peanut gallery please)

but this is one I had never seen before. Thank god for TCM & Retroplex.!

Yes, I know I'm weird but I like it that way :)

Hey, Clayzorback, I loved Dreamgirls. Saw it in the theatre, and then saw it on DVD as well. If cindilu2 catches wind of this thread, I bet she'll be in here raving about it as well. :lol:

I see a movie every few weeks. The latest one was 1408, which was v.v. good but v.v. scary. Prior to that, I saw The Invisible, which was ok but probably not worth renting for anyone who hasn't seen it. Let's see, Shrek 3 which was great fun. Mr. Brooks which I was not expecting to love but I did...great psychological thriller. Pirates 3 was ok....I found it a bit tedious at times, but I'm not big on action flicks.

Hey, Clayzorback, I loved Dreamgirls. Saw it in the theatre, and then saw it on DVD as well. If cindilu2 catches wind of this thread, I bet she'll be in here raving about it as well. :lol:

I see a movie every few weeks. The latest one was 1408, which was v.v. good but v.v. scary. Prior to that, I saw The Invisible, which was ok but probably not worth renting for anyone who hasn't seen it. Let's see, Shrek 3 which was great fun. Mr. Brooks which I was not expecting to love but I did...great psychological thriller. Pirates 3 was ok....I found it a bit tedious at times, but I'm not big on action flicks.

treenuts, we all have our little idiosyncronies (sp?) ........Hee....Glad you found that movie, and I think it is fun sharing your love of something and passing it on to your kids. Especially when your kid enjoys sharing your love of something and are not "too cool" to do so.

muski I want to see 1408. My son and his wife asked me to join them to see it last week, I passed because I knew he would buy the movie when it came out and I could watch it for free. LOL I'm afraid being married to a frugal husband for 22 years has rubbed off on me...........*g* Thanks for the heads up about Mr. Brooks. I haven't heard of that movie but it sounds like something I would like.

I really miss the old days when they had a 2 hour, made for TV, movie on every night, during the week, at 8 central time. They had really good movies, most of the time.

This whole discussion got me to looking at my past Netflix queue, which is the main way I see movies anymore. My husband actually gets most of the stuff, but I have my own little queue too, and so I went back to see what I've gotten in the past few months.

Moulin Rouge -- what a mindblower of a movie. I loved Ewan MacGreggor! I also need to get the soundtrack to that one. I really felt that you needed to know your pop music to understand so much of it, but it was still really cool.

The Devils Wears Prada -- Meryl Streep is fantastic, but I also loved Anne Hathaway. Lots of LOL moments to me, which I wasn't really expecting.

Thank You for Smoking -- an anti-smoking diatribe disguised as a fictional movie. Thing is, I'm wondering how much of it was truly fiction....

Cars -- best movie I've seen in a LONG time. I loved the story, and I thought the animation was great. The voice casting was excellent. The tractor tipping scenes had me on the floor -- maybe it's because I'm a farm girl and that rang so very true.

kd lang Live by Request and Down From the Mountain -- my hubby and I love to get music concerts on DVD, and both of these were excellent. Down From the Mountain is the music from "O Brother, Where Art Thou?" live in concert, which is one of my favorite soundtracks ever.

For Your Consideration -- any of the Christopher Guest ensemble is a favorite of mine, but this one didn't quite rack up to their usual standards. Best in Show is still my favorite.

I do see movies in the theater if they are BIG -- both Spiderman3 and Pirates 3 were seen there. I liked both movies, but wasn't WOWed by either.

Dreamgirls is on my queue to come eventually.

I loved Moulin Rogue. Nicole Kidman sang all those songs herself. Well so did the guy. What a surprise. I didn't realize she could sing that well. Great movie for a musical. As I said I'm not a musical fan, but I have caught a few and this is one I liked very well.

I LOVED Moulin Rouge too. The funny part is that my sister and I sat down to watch it and after 10 minutes she made me turn it off. Later I watched the whole movie and was mesmerized. It was the first time I actually liked her in anythying. No matter what though I can't get my sister to watch it.

I loved Jennifer in Dreamgirls. THought every moment she was in the movie sparkled. I wasn't really that impressed with the moviemaking as a whole. I would watch it again, over and over really, just to see Jennifer and a few of the other parts.

OK one of my guilty pleasure movies...have ya'll seen Freeway? OMG that movie is a hoot. Reese Witherspoon and Keifer Sutherland...rent it ASAP.

Okay y'all, don't freak out at my 360 degree turn here.

I am a huge movie buff.....both oldies and newer indie flicks. So yes, I'm going to jump right from Charlie Chan to my absolute all time newer favorite "guilty pleasure": Hedwig and the Angry Inch

I love this film and I think John Cameron Mitchell was nothing short of amazing in it. He not only starred in it but he wrote the original play, co-wrote the music/lyrics, wrote the screenplay and directed as well. If memory serves me he was even nominated for a Gloden Globe for his performance.

The musical numbers are very addictive and the production overall is first class. So if you like musicals of a more eclectic (there's that word again) nature with some pretty cool performances and a slightly bizarre storyline then you just may love this film too :)

Oh yah, and Michael Pitt isn't bad to look at either ;)

Edited by treenuts

Lucky I got 4 more movies to watch from my son, Friday. One of them is Invisible. Anxious to see if I like it or not. I watched Premonition, with Sandra Bullock, last night and enjoyed it. The other 2 he loaned me was Hostel2 and The Hills Have Eyes2. He said one of these was pretty gory. Hee I love spooky movies.

Couchie I thought Dreamgirls should of been named Jennifer Hudson! She was the movie. LOL I can see why she got an award. I was really surprised at how good she acted in that. I didn't care for Beyonce at all. Beautiful girl to look at, but............Not a fan of her singing or acting. I think she is a nice person, though, in real life.

lydjocelyn, Lyle Lovett and KD Kang are appearing here on JUly 10th. 5th row back tickets are costing 122.00. I would pay that for Clay but not Lyle Lovett or even KD Lang who I enjoy.

treenuts, I'm afraid I have never heard of Hedwig and the Angry Inch.

My next loan of movies will include the new Shrek movie. I would also love to see The Devil Wears Prada. I'm a big Meryl Streep fan. I would also love to see Cars............

However the movie I want to see the most right now is Fracture, with Anthony Hopkins. I looooove him. I may have to break down and go buy it myself. LOL I found this little trailer for it. Click on all the white boxes for different previews.

http://www.fracturemovie.com/

However the movie I want to see the most right now is Fracture, with Anthony Hopkins. I looooove him. I may have to break down and go buy it myself. LOL I found this little trailer for it. Click on all the white boxes for different previews.

http://www.fracturemovie.com/

OMG, another Anthony Hopkins fan! :clap: I love him, too. I am obsessed with all the Hannibal movies, and I went to see Fracture the first weekend it was out. It was pretty good, although I thought the ending was a bit predictable. I think this is his first screenplay credit.

Clayzorback, did you see Hannibal Rising? It didn't have Anthony Hopkins in it - because it was a prequel, and the Hannibal character was only 18 through most of it. Some of it, he was a child. But it was still a good movie - just not one I plan to buy and rewatch.

Last night cindilu2 and I went to see the newest of the Die Hard movies with Bruce Willis and as much as I usually don't care for action flicks, I really liked this one. It was really well done and I thought the actor that co-starred was great, too. Not a boring minute, never lost my interest at all. Great story line.

Moulin Rouge -- what a mindblower of a movie. I loved Ewan MacGreggor! I also need to get the soundtrack to that one. I really felt that you needed to know your pop music to understand so much of it, but it was still really cool.

For Your Consideration -- any of the Christopher Guest ensemble is a favorite of mine, but this one didn't quite rack up to their usual standards. Best in Show is still my favorite.

Ewan MacGreggor EEEEEEEE!!!!!!! I adore him and Moulin Rouge. My sister hated it but I bought it, I loved it so much. Have you seen Baz Luhrman's Strictly Ballroom? It's a little on the hokey side, the Australian actors remind me of my Aussie aunts and uncles. I liked it though, the dance scenes were great and I enjoyed looking at Baz early work.

I haven't seen For Your Consideration but love Best In Show. Thanks for the other movies, I haven't seen them but will check them out.

I rented The Last King of Scotland. Forest Whitaker is amazing as Idi Amin. I'm crushing on the little Scottish guy James McAvoy. He's not like hunky and good looking, but so talented and cute and was really good in this film. He's also starring in Becoming Jane as one of Jane Austen's suitors.

I also saw Blood Diamond. Leo was really good but Djimon Hounsou was spectacular.

I love movies, my other passion.

Finally went to see the last of the "Pirates" trilogy (love me some swaggering capt. Jack or anythng Johnny). At Worlds End was better than I had expected it to be from what I had heard from friends and family. But not as good as the first. None of them were. The ending was a surprise though and I liked that. Although there were moments, one scene in particular, where I felt I had fallen into the middle of a Salvador Dali live action painting. (?)

And DH and I had an actual date (it's been so long I'm not sure that is the correct term anymore ;) )

Anyway, we went to see Oceans 13 and it was pretty good. Very funny, though at times sophmoric but they all have been so no surprise there. My only complaint is that the jokes have a tendancy to be a little "too inside", but still good overall. I especially found the scene where Clooney is made up to look like Freddie Mercury hilarious. Don't blink though 'cause you'll miss it!

Hee. I probably just going to be entertaining myself down here but I love movies-a lot.

I bought Constant Gardener with Ralph Fiennes and Rachel Weisz. It's set in Africa and has a good story re how drug companies test their drugs there. Why Ralph Fiennes has never gotten an Oscar is beyond me. Politics probably. He is a fantastic actor. He was also in the movie Sunshine and was phenomenal and played 3 generations. Rachel Weisz was in this movie as well.

And, Clayzor, if you read this, he was the Red Dragon, really creepy. I guess he has the pay the bills somehow. I like him better in sensitive roles with an underlying smoldering passion and intensity beneath the surface. For me, that's his specialty.

If you are talking about Anthony Hopkins, I love him in his Hannibal role. That is why I was mentioning Hannibal Rising earlier, beacuse he is not in that one. The actor that portrays Hannibal through most of the movie is young, only about 18 or so. There is also a child actor at the beginning. In any case, I liked the movie, but I wont' be purchasing it on DVD because Anthony is not in it.

I don't go to many movies while they are at the theater but will be going to see Bourne Ultimatum. I've read some great reviews about it so I'm excited. Has anyone seen it and what are your impressions. Please spoiler tag any plot points. I was just wondering if you felt it was as good as Identity or Supremacy.