Movies, old and new

KAndre

Moulin Rouge -- what a mindblower of a movie. I loved Ewan MacGreggor! I also need to get the soundtrack to that one. I really felt that you needed to know your pop music to understand so much of it, but it was still really cool.

Down From the Mountain is the music from "O Brother, Where Art Thou?" live in concert, which is one of my favorite soundtracks ever.

Ditto ldyj! I've seen Moulin Rouge at least 4 times and loved it each and every time. I loved Ewan and Nicole together and their singing was so good. I fell in love with Ewan in that movie. Surprise for me!

"O Brother, Where Art Thou" was also one of my favorite movies and the music was unforgettable. I'll purchase the soundtrack "Down From the Mountain".

Thanks for reminding me of them because they are two of the all time greatest movies and soundtracks.

As I've already said here somewhere, "Chicago" is probably #1 on the list of favorites because it just makes me so happy when I see it, which has been at least 4 times. Sets my toes to tapping...happy stuff.

I saw Little Miss Sunshine last week. I kinda knew it would be good but just got around to it. I'm still busting a gut over the climax dance.

And this weekend I have The Last King of Scotland. Been avoiding that one for some reason...

Oh and when I went to the movies a couple of weeks ago to see Bourne, I saw a preview for American Gangster with Denzel Washington and Russel Crowe. Looks great. Those two will always be etched together in my mind because when Denzel was his Academy Award, my sister said Crowe was looking like WTF, that's MY award. heee Anyway, it will be great to see them in something together.

I went and saw The Brave One last night, starring Jodie Foster. What a departure that roll is for her! And seriously, she looks so much younger that I've seen her look in a while. Very different look for her, different hair. The movie was good but v.v. intense with some pretty graphic and violet scenes. I actually found it kind of disturbing. Apparently it is rated R in some places but for some reason they downgraded it to 14A here, which I think was maybe a bit too young. 18A seems more fitting. I took my 16 year old with me (and we met cindilu2 there as well) and while he liked it because of the violence, I am not sure it was necessarily the best thing for him to have seen.

Has anyone else seen it? What did you think?

I went and saw The Brave One last night, starring Jodie Foster. What a departure that roll is for her! And seriously, she looks so much younger that I've seen her look in a while. Very different look for her, different hair. The movie was good but v.v. intense with some pretty graphic and violet scenes. I actually found it kind of disturbing. Apparently it is rated R in some places but for some reason they downgraded it to 14A here, which I think was maybe a bit too young. 18A seems more fitting. I took my 16 year old with me (and we met cindilu2 there as well) and while he liked it because of the violence, I am not sure it was necessarily the best thing for him to have seen.

Has anyone else seen it? What did you think?

Whats it about? Never heard anything about this. I have been a bit disappointed wit Jodies last movies. She just seem too intense ...kinda like Tom Cruise...but I love her anyway.

I saw Stardust last weekend and loooooved it. I smiled all the way home. Which, of course, makes it my kind of movie. Michelle Pfeiffer & Robert De Niro were both great in supporting humorous roles. It's hard to explain but I loved everything about this movie. It just transported me to another world.

A young man named Tristan (Charlie Cox) tries to win the heart of Victoria (Sienna Miller), the beautiful but cold object of his desire, by going on a quest to retrieve a fallen star. His journey takes him to a mysterious and forbidden land beyond the walls of his village. On his odyssey, Tristan finds the star, which has transformed into a striking girl named Yvaine (Claire Danes). However, Tristan is not the only one seeking the star. Lord Stormhold's (Peter O'Toole) three living sons not to mention the ghosts of their four dead brothers all need the star as they vie for the throne. Tristan must also overcome the evil witch, Lamia (Michelle Pfeiffer), who needs the star to make her young again. As Tristan battles to survive these threats, encountering a pirate named Captain Shakespeare (Robert De Niro) and a shady trader named Ferdy the Fence (Ricky Gervais) along the way, his quest changes. He must now win the heart of the star for himself as he discovers the meaning of true love

*sigh*

Another movie that I saw recently this year that I loved was Music & Lyrics. I like Drew Barrymore but have never been a Hugh Grant fan and he was so funny in this movie. Everything that came out of his mouth made me giggle.

Hee. Writing about both of those movies reminded me of my favorite Drew Barrymore movie Ever After.

I also recently checked out an old favorite from the library...the original The Ghost and Mrs Muir with Gene Tierney & Rex Harrison....*sigh*

---

I'm sorta weird with movies....when I see trailers I know exactly what I'll like and what I won't. I may see only 5 movies a year in the theater. I'm sorta picky.

Edited by jamar1700

luckyiest1 I really think Jodie Foster is a very talented actress. I want to see this movie too. I also looooove Robert De Nero, jamar.

I can't believe I finally got around to seeing "O Brother Where Art Tho," yesterday. They showed it on CMT. It was a hoot. George Clooney was so young and handsome. His hair regime cmsu as well as the part where he is singing the song, I Am A Man Of Constant Sorrow, and dancing like a hick. Great flick and I always wanted to see it but never got around to it.

luckyiest1 I really think Jodie Foster is a very talented actress. I want to see this movie too. I also looooove Robert De Nero, jamar.

I can't believe I finally got around to seeing "O Brother Where Art Tho," yesterday. They showed it on CMT. It was a hoot. George Clooney was so young and handsome. His hair regime cmsu as well as the part where he is singing the song, I Am A Man Of Constant Sorrow, and dancing like a hick. Great flick and I always wanted to see it but never got around to it.

Clazorback..That was a hoot wasn't it! I also saw it again yesterday on CMT and it's just the combination of the outrageously funny and great bluegrass music. A must see for sure!

I love Music & Lyrics. I've seen it more than a few times. Two or three in the theatre and then we bought the DVD. Hee, I also have the soundtrack on my iPod. In fact, on the way home from the grocery store this morning, my son suggested that we should watch it again today. :RedGuy:

The Brave One is about a woman who is engaged to be married, and then she and her fiance are attacked in NY's Central Park and she survives, but he doesn't. She is in a coma for 3 weeks, so when she wakes up, she discovers he is already gone, and buried. She is fearful on her own, buys an illegal gun and ultimately becomes a vigilante on the streets of NYC. OK I won't say more than that so I don't give the whole plot away. I think Jodie Foster is a great actress, I've always admired her.

jamar - if you loved the movie Stardust, you might like the book too!! Neil Gaiman has recently become one of my favorite authors.

I loved the movie too!!

There's another light-hearted comedy coming out next month. It's called "Enchanted" I think. It's about Cinderella and Prince Charming and the Wicked Witch all getting transported into NYC and becoming real people! Looks like a hoot!

I like Jodie Foster too, but that movie sounds a bit intense!!

I hope we can go see "Across The Universe" this coming weekend! Has anyone seen it?

:F_05BL17blowkiss:

jamar - if you loved the movie Stardust, you might like the book too!! Neil Gaiman has recently become one of my favorite authors.

I'm reading it now! Almost done! :lilredani:

I had intended to read it before I saw the movie. Yeah right...me and everyone else in our library system *g* ... so I'm just getting to it now. What other books of his do you recommend?

Did you like The Princess Bride? You should read THAT book! One of my favorites ever. Written by William Goldman.

The Princess Bride is one of those things where I think the book is WAY better than the movie...and I simply LURVED the movie. Now, I did read the book AFTER seeing the movie, so that may have affected the way I felt about the book, but there was so much more detail in the book, IMO.

I definitely need to check out Stardust then. My husband is reading a Neil Gaiman book right now (I don't know the name), but I'll have to request this book then.

The Princess Bride is one of those things where I think the book is WAY better than the movie...and I simply LURVED the movie. Now, I did read the book AFTER seeing the movie, so that may have affected the way I felt about the book, but there was so much more detail in the book, IMO.

ME TOO! But I read the book way before the movie came out. I believe William Goldman actually worked as a screenwriter and I always thought it would make a great movie when I read it.

Back to work...

So I watched 2 movies yesterday..and with both I thought about Clay.

The first one was Black Snake Moan or something like that co-starring Justin Timberlake. I don't know what kind of reviews he got but I don't think he was that good. Passable. But I can think of a dozen actors who could have done a better job. No I didn't see Clay in the role (heee) but just thought of the two guys trying to branch out from the pop star thing.

lol..I just went to rotten tomatos and saw some snippets of reviews for that movie... one I didn't want to watch at all...my sister has netflix and she wants to bring movies over every weekend... but these say it all..

Tells its screw-loose story in such a forthright manner and with such heedless and fearless energy that you won't be able to take your eyes off the screen, even if you are busy rubbing them out of sheer disbelief.

Two things we now know about Craig Brewer's movies: They are completely ridiculous, and also compulsively watchable.

A ragged, crusty old sock of a film, it has you rolling your eyes, shaking your head, gawking and giggling in all the right moments. And all the right moments are so, so wrong.

Bwah, can't recommend it because I know there is a good chance most would find it highly offensive.

And I watched Music and Lyrics and had me LOL in certain areas. Cute little romantic comedy about a "has been" pop artist having a revival of a career. The actress that was in 3rd Rock from the sun...had me laughing the most..cuz she was a fan of the guy when she was a teen and just to see her "excitement"...reminded me of a look I've seen quite a few times at Clay concerts.

Aww, couchie, I have watched Music & Lyrics more times than I care to admit. 3 in the threatre! And my daughter bought the DVD.....I also have the soundtrack on my iPod! And I agree about the sister who loved the band as a teenager, and her reaction. CMSU the first time I saw it!

OK, last night I saw Across The Universe. The only theatre here that is showing it is one of those nice ones that cost a few bucks more, but the seats are all graded, and the screen is humungous. So it was the perfect setting to watch it.

It is very much in the vein of Moulin Rouge, right down to the lead actor's voice, because he sounds very much like Ewan McGregor. All the music was amazing, so I am going to have to look up the soundtrack. The story line was not difficult to follow (easier than Moulin Rouge, I thought) but there were some pretty whacked out sequences, too. We joked that we should have had a hit of acid before we left home, LOL. I had no idea there were cameo roles in in, so how surprised was I when Joe Cocker, Bono & Eddie Izzard popped up on the screen? (spoilering in case you don't want to know).

All in all it was cool, if you like musicals. Especially if you like the Beatles. Some of the renditions of certain songs had me grinning from ear to ear. And I don't always like people covering the Beatles, so that is a good sign. :)

I hate violence but I'm going to see it with friends so I'll report back. Have read that it's very good...another Oscar for Denzel?

Loved Loved that movie! For a big wuss like me to like a violent movie it has to be good and it was.......

Does anyone know anything about the Kite Runner release? It was supposed to be released early November and now IMDB shows only limited release in the US in mid-December. This was a movie I was looking forward to. :(

They had some moral and religious issues with the rape stuff and the Afghani boy who was playing the part. I haven't heard any thing lately but it did hold up the film. I loved that book and am also looking forward to the movie.